Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P. Ultimate Warrior (Jim Hellwig)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Like loads of people, I was a HH fan and my brother was an UW fan. We only had tapes of Wrestlemanias from the richer cousins and got our hands on Wrestlemania 8. Great memories although he was obviously troubled in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    he was obviously troubled in real life.

To the other wrestlers and promoters he was a nightmare to work with, he was a bit crazy (changed his name to Warrior) and he had disgusting bigoted homophobic views but he made a ton of money and just recently did the WWE Hall of Fame thing where he brought his two young daughters out on stage with him and he was beaming with joy about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Folks, keep it to nice memories in this thread please. We all know of Warriors imperfections, now or here is not the place to air them again.

If you want to discuss such wait a few days and start a new thread about it please.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Reports are saying he 'clutched his chest' seconds before he fell according to witnesses. Sounds like a heart attack then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

R.I.P Warrior

I'm shocked :(:( I mean he was inducted to the Hall of Fame on Saturday, at Mania 30 on Sunday and on Raw on Monday night cutting a promo and now he's gone. Yet another legend taken from us far too early :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Rest in peace Warrior. You will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Shocked that this has happened. Like I said on another thread, its like a kick in the stomach to the 7 year old in me. Regardless of how his life went after his departures from WWE, I will always remember him with fondness. I like what it seemed like every kid at the time wanted to be either Hogan or The Warrior. I personally remember stealing my sisters multi coloured laces and tying them around my arms as i ran around the room like tornado of destruction. Thanks for the Memories Warrior.

Gonna be talking about him on iRadio in a moment. Doubt it'll be anything amazing, but might be worth a listen if you're not up to much, anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Hall of Fame on sky now. This just appeared before it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Shocked by the news considering he was only on Raw/WM/HoF over the weekend. I'm glad he was able to mend so many bridges before he passed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

RIP.

RIP.

Who can ever forget his timely intervention at Wrestlemania 8 back in 1992?

I created that moment many times afterwards with my mini-makeshift wrestling ring and the figurines - the warrior, papa shango, sid justice and hulk hogan.

I will note though i had to improvise for both sid justice and papa shango so i had to use both he-man and skeletor respectively in their place :D

Here is that video of Wrestlemania 8 by the way. Love the way the Warriors music comes on before he makes his dynamic intervention. Brilliant :D

Warrior enters around 16:30

http://vimeo.com/89178799

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Was at Mania a few days ago. Living in America, watched his promo on RAW on Monday, listened to the Iron Sheik talking about him on Opie and Anthony yesterday and the Sam Roberts show. Iron Sheik was just being the Iron Sheik.. talking crap about him.

I'm happy I got to see him before he died. I don't think he was at the show in the Point Depot back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Its such a pity that these threads are so frequent for us wrestling fans. Such an awful thing hearing about these guys passing so young. I was really looking forward to seeing Warriors contribution as whatever form of Ambassador he had been hired as.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Its such a pity that these threads are so frequent for us wrestling fans. Such an awful thing hearing about these guys passing so young. I was really looking forward to seeing Warriors contribution as whatever form of Ambassador he had been hired as.

Not trying to stir anything but is it likely that from steroids in his early days that these deaths are happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shut the front door

RIP Warrior. Another bit of my childhood has passed. My brother and I were huge wrestling fans. I loved both UW and HH, we both did. We put bits of whatever we could find around our arms and found some make up to make ourselves look like he did. Hell we even broke loads of bits and bobs mucking about and got into so much trouble but UW was the business, the snarling, the huffing and puffing. Shaking the ropes, ignoring all the blows landed in the final part of the match. He helped make our weekends. The theme tune, we would dance on the sofa when we heard it. The gorilla Press slam, that may have been tried out!! Thanks for the memories and for making part of my childhood. :(

John Pollock hosted a podcast with Court Bauer (ex of WWE writing staff) about Warrior which is recommended listening for some insights other than his wrestling career as Bauer had worked with Warrrior on a project recently.

http://fightnetwork.com/news/46488:apr.-9-edition-of-bauer-pollock-ultimate-warrior-tribute/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I remember him beating the Hulkster in that epic match. He was a great character and a great entertainer. Poignant timing that he should be inducted into the HOF just before he died.

RIP Warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Not trying to stir anything but is it likely that from steroids in his early days that these deaths are happening?

It can't have helped. Bret Hart has already made that connection I read earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,430 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

WWE honors the legacy and legend of the late Ultimate Warrior tonight, beginning at 8 p.m. ET on WWE Network.

WWE fans will be able to watch highlights from Warrior's historic induction into the WWE Hall of Fame, plus his emotional return to Monday Night Raw. Then, immediately after, the WWE Universe is invited to watch one of Ultimate Warrior's greatest matches against Hulk Hogan when WWE Network airs WrestleMania VI in its entirety.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/wwe-honors-the-career-of-iconic-superstar-ultimate-warrior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It can't have helped. Bret Hart has already made that connection I read earlier.

Ye I see a lot of that these days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Wrestlemania XIII was just brilliant when the Warrior came out to help Hulk Hogan against Sid Justice and Papa Shongo. One the best WWF/E moments.

I can't seem to find it on youtube.

XIII is 13. The Wrestlemania when Warrior came out during Hogan's match was 8 which in romans is VIII - link post above http://vimeo.com/89178799

XIII is 13. The Wrestlemania when Warrior came out during Hogan's match was 8 which in romans is VIII - link post above http://vimeo.com/89178799

Beg your pardon, getting my Roman numerals mixed up. Wrestlemania VIII indeed. Great memories.

When is Vince McMahon ever going to address the drug problem in WWE?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Judging by the way he bulked up himself. I would imagine never!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

Defo must order the new DVD now. I have the 2005 and it didnt put me off Warrior one bit, even with all the ****e talking.

What an exit. Made his peace with everyone, did the hall of fame, and made a final promo in a WWE ring. Eerie but wow...

RIP to a wrestler who like so many others from the 80s and 90s were like gods to us in our youth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

this isn't the time and place for this discussion but things have changed drastically with regards things like this in the WWE since Warriors day and hopefully as a result we wont see as many Wrestlers dieing young in the future. Not that I want to speculate as to the cause of Warriors death at this time

this isn't the time and place for this discussion but things have changed drastically with regards things like this in the WWE since Warriors day and hopefully as a result we wont see as many Wrestlers dieing young in the future. Not that I want to speculate as to the cause of Warriors death at this time

I was speaking generally - there has been far too many premature deaths in the WWE. It's about time they actually did something about it.

That's my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

I was speaking generally - there has been far too many premature deaths in the WWE. It's about time they actually did something about it.

That's my opinion.

Well is it not a case that the results of any recent changes wont bear fruit until further down the line. Unfortunately, for performers of the warriors era the damage is already done. The strain these men put their bodies through right into their fifties even sixties is a ticking timebomb. Aside from that, I was a hogan fan as a kid but looking back I want to change sides. Warrior rocked. Technically inferior but doesnt matter if you're entertained

Advertisement