Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

Checked two CPWs yesterday evening and they are all out of the unlocked Meteor PAYG :(

Just going to go back during the week though, pick a locked one up and unlock it myself... Guides on XDA are fairly straightforward!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Robo_Mike wrote: »
    Checked two CPWs yesterday evening and they are all out of the unlocked Meteor PAYG :(

Just going to go back during the week though, pick a locked one up and unlock it myself... Guides on XDA are fairly straightforward!

Are they? I had a look and I'm swamped in terminology that I don't understand ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Are you sure you can network unlock or just remove the carrier branding ? I had no luck a few months ago trying to network unlock my HTC One M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You'd need to be able to S-OFF the phone to remove any network lock, and I don't think that's possible on the phone at the minute.

You can unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery and custom roms though.
    I've Android Revolution HD 4.0 ART on mine at the minute.

Daith wrote: »
    Are they? I had a look and I'm swamped in terminology that I don't understand ha!

I've rooted before, so I guess I understand some level of the terminology!
    beno619 wrote: »
    Are you sure you can network unlock or just remove the carrier branding ? I had no luck a few months ago trying to network unlock my HTC One M7.

Yup, the guide is at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2708567
    You'd need to be able to S-OFF the phone to remove any network lock, and I don't think that's possible on the phone at the minute.

You can unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery and custom roms though.
    I've Android Revolution HD 4.0 ART on mine at the minute.

S-OFF was achieved yesterday: http://www.androidcentral.com/s-htc-one-m8-paves-way-further-hackery

• Advertisement

I've rooted before, so I guess I understand some level of the terminology!

Yup, the guide is at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2708567

S-OFF was achieved yesterday: http://www.androidcentral.com/s-htc-one-m8-paves-way-further-hackery

Awesome, had rooted mine on Friday after receiving the phone and hadn't expected this to happen so fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I just realised power saving is set for me. No idea how long it has been on but I haven't noticed any poor performance due to conserving CPU power.

Does anyone else use this mode, does it make much difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Awesome, had rooted mine on Friday after receiving the phone and hadn't expected this to happen so fast!

Whats the benefit of using a custom ROM now, especially Android Revolution HD 4.0 ART, it is virtually no different to the stock ROM already flashed.

I flashed a Google Play edition of KitKit when it first came out on my M7 but that was just because HTC were taking forever to roll the update out.

Do you see any improvements/any reasons for me to root now??

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

1jcdub wrote: »
    I've got my M8 since Thur afternoon and I've just noticed that the top front part of the phone where the camera and speaker grill is has lifted slightly where it meets the screen. I've pressed it down again and it seems to have stuck back down for now. Going to keep an eye on it if it happens again I'll be returning the phone to HTC. Seems to be glued into place.

I'm sending my M8 back to expansys tomorrow. They offered a refund or exchange. I don't know if I should take another M8 or ask to receive a Sony Z2 when released. Wasn't keen on the extra section on the bottom of the M8 compared to the M7. Also the rattling volume key makes it feel cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

1jcdub wrote: »
    I'm sending my M8 back to expansys tomorrow. They offered a refund or exchange. I don't know if I should take another M8 or ask to receive a Sony Z2 when released. Wasn't keen on the extra section on the bottom of the M8 compared to the M7. Also the rattling volume key makes it feel cheap.
    My volume keys is fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I'm finding battery life to be phenomenal, my phone was 100% when I went to bed at 11pm last night used it to listen to music including Spotify and used it for Internet it was still at 83% today at 3pm, that's pretty brilliant in my book.

Not unlocked or rooted yet so I'd imagine it'll be even better when I get round to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Anybody buy a case other than the Dot case? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

It is possible to use dashclock widget as the default lockscreen? I seem to only be able to use it as a second lock screen.
    Also, has anyone managed to turn off the htc backup popup that appears every time you install/update an app?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭budgemook

roarlad wrote: »
    It is possible to use dashclock widget as the default lockscreen? I seem to only be able to use it as a second lock screen.
    Also, has anyone managed to turn off the htc backup popup that appears every time you install/update an app?

For turning off back-up: Settings > Backup and reset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

roarlad wrote: »

Same question! Cant drag dashclock ahead of the default lockscreen widget!

Anyone know how to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I'm finding battery life to be phenomenal, my phone was 100% when I went to bed at 11pm last night used it to listen to music including Spotify and used it for Internet it was still at 83% today at 3pm, that's pretty brilliant in my book.

Not unlocked or rooted yet so I'd imagine it'll be even better when I get round to that.

I was just about to write a post stating the same thing. I'm finding that I can get circa 2days of moderate use out of mine which is a huge improvement on the M7. I used to have to charge every night otherwise I would be dead by noon the next day.
    I'm using 4g network, listening to music,radio,texting and making phone calls but its still lingering around 70%...thats after a days use before. Really impressed!!

skeg16 wrote: »
    Whats the benefit of using a custom ROM now, especially Android Revolution HD 4.0 ART, it is virtually no different to the stock ROM already flashed.

I flashed a Google Play edition of KitKit when it first came out on my M7 but that was just because HTC were taking forever to roll the update out.

The benefit of a custom ROM, well there are many. The benefit of Android Revolution HD? Well....not a lot.

If you want to see what a custom ROM is about, flash ViperOne (M8). It's still in beta, but the tweaks available are quite substantial, and more and more will be added. At the moment, I have no use for my power button at all. I have double tap home set to turn screen off, for example.

Oh, and of course when on Viper you could use one of my themes :D

xKocjiu.gif

skeg16 wrote: »

For me, it's mainly for Root access, and the few little tweaks that Mike puts in place with ARHD.

I use Titanium Backup which needs root, and the Cerberus security app, that only unlocks it's full potential when rooted, or added in to a rom installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Bought the M8 yesterday in CPW on Meteor for 559 so saved myself 40 quid for not getting the one on three, i am on a Three contract so checked with the guy behind the counter whether it was unlocked and he maintained it wasn't but lo and behold when the 3 sim was tried, it worked so happy days.

Overall really happy with the phone, feels much sleeker, blazing fast and the camera looks better aswell, been playing around with the pan 360 view which i love.

Overall very happy with the purchase once i got all my stuff transferred over, moving the whatsapp convos was a pain tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

My M8 was received by expansys today due to it being defective. I've been offered a refund or another M8. I don't know if I should get another M8 or a refund and go for a Sony Z2 when released. My last 6 phones have been HTC flagship devices and I wasn't too keen on the bottom buttons bar taking up screen space. Mmmmmm...,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+%28M8%29+Teardown/23615

Changing the battery would be fun!!!! Still want one though, roll on the 19th for my upgrade:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Basil3 wrote: »
    The benefit of a custom ROM, well there are many. The benefit of Android Revolution HD? Well....not a lot.

If you want to see what a custom ROM is about, flash ViperOne (M8). It's still in beta, but the tweaks available are quite substantial, and more and more will be added. At the moment, I have no use for my power button at all. I have double tap home set to turn screen off, for example.

Oh, and of course when on Viper you could use one of my themes :D

xKocjiu.gif

Changing ROMS affects the phones warranty, just something you need to be aware of.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Changing ROMS affects the phones warranty, just something you need to be aware of.

I've been putting custom ROMs on phones since before android existed. A custom ROM won't affect your warranty if your device has a hardware defect, which is what most warranty replacements would be due to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Stretch The Pussy

love this phone.

I've been putting custom ROMs on phones since before android existed. A custom ROM won't affect your warranty if your device has a hardware defect, which is what most warranty replacements would be due to.

Well I've just had a phone sent back to me by Motorola who won't fix the the phone under warranty because of a custom rom.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Bought a Meteor PAYG one last night. Pared down my vodafone micro sim to a nano sim. No network connnection. Then had to unlock the bootloader, root the phone, get S-OFF, and then finally apply the sim unlock. And now I am up and running on Vodafone. :)

And it is so nice and fast in comparison to my HTC One X.

Well I've just had a phone sent back to me by Motorola who won't fix the the phone under warranty because of a custom rom.

What was the issue though? If it is a hardware issue that is unrelated to the software, then it is covered by warranty. Putting a custom ROM on your device does not waive your rights to a warranty. Plenty of people with purple tint on the HTC One camera have had replacement, regardless of having a custom ROM.

What was the issue though? If it is a hardware issue that is unrelated to the software, then it is covered by warranty. Putting a custom ROM on your device does not waive your rights to a warranty. Plenty of people with purple tint on the HTC One camera have had replacement, regardless of having a custom ROM.

Problem was with the phone not recognising sim cards.
    Maybe HTC are different but just something to be aware of.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Does anyone hear a slight rattle noise when the phone vibrates? Like when you type or press the back key? Its not loud. I only have it a week so might bring it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Has anyone been able to find somewhere with the dot view case in stock? Online or bricks and mortar.

Advertisement