Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

Any word on Vodafone pricing yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    Pre ordered mine Monday with O2 with the promise of dispatch yesterday. Guess what phone never dispatched and it seems they don't even have them in stock yet. It's looking like Monday or Tuesday now. I am so annoyed. Sold my other phones so it looks like I'll be slumming it on a moto g until then. Suppose I'll appreciate it all the more when I do get it.
    I don't understand it though because o2 were the first to have the phone up for pre order. It's a strange one.

How did you find out it hasn't been dispatched?

Spoke to them there and mine has been sent and due for delivery today or tommorrow.

Anyone else pre order online from o2?

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    Pre ordered mine Monday with O2 with the promise of dispatch yesterday. Guess what phone never dispatched and it seems they don't even have them in stock yet. It's looking like Monday or Tuesday now. I am so annoyed. Sold my other phones so it looks like I'll be slumming it on a moto g until then. Suppose I'll appreciate it all the more when I do get it.
    I don't understand it though because o2 were the first to have the phone up for pre order. It's a strange one.

I have never preordered online, always gone in to a shop on day of release, and have never failed to pick up a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

kin9pin wrote: »
    Picked my upgrade up in Three this morning. Haven't played too much with it yet but it really is a beautiful phone (coming from the S3)

Can you tell me if it's definitley locked to Three netowrk and if there is any bloatware??

I can recall getting my M7 from Meteor but it wasn't locked and no bloat. If this is the case I will run down to a Three store now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

91AP wrote: »
    Don't preregister. I did for O2 and Three and got nothing on information. The sales assistants in the stores were clueless too. Only for I searched for this phone and knew a lot about it they would of had be think it's not out until next month.

I know carphone warehouse have Vodafone, Meteor and o2 model's in. All stores got delivered the devices yesterday. If a stand alone Vodafone stores doesn't have it I suggest trying carphone warehouse.
    Huh, I was in CPW yesterday and they only had Vodafone ones (looking for an O2 one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

manu2009 wrote: »
    How did you find out it hasn't been dispatched?

Spoke to them there and mine has been sent and due for delivery today or tommorrow.

Anyone else pre order online from o2?

I rang and that's what the guy said. I was thinking maybe they are taking care of Bill customers first. I ordered a prepay one. I cancelled my order anyway and I just got one in cpw on meteor but unlocked and saved myself 40 quid too. Happy days :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Got it Today on Meteor, very impressive feel and design its just like my OneX Htc sense not to different there seems to be a System update already that when i tried to install failed and when i retry it says theres none only had it an hour so need to have a play around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I ordered mine on meteor yesterday afternoon. I hope I get it tomorrow. Anyone get the boombass? Is it any good?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

V9 wrote: »
    I ordered mine on meteor yesterday afternoon. I hope I get it tomorrow. Anyone get the boombass? Is it any good?

Nope i pre ordered an hour after it launched on the 25th and didnt recieve one today must have being very limited stock a marketing gimmick if you ask me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

quarryman wrote: »
    Just looking at the Three offer myself. The free data thing is attractive What package did you get? Does All you can Eat data mean just that or is it restricted in some way?

How do you find coverage?

Sorry been busy. I think the fair usage is 15GB but I never get near that. I live and work in Dublin so coverage isn't a problem.
    Paid 119 to upgrade on a 2 yr contract.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Hopefully heading into Dundrum to get this tomorrow. Any chance of Meteor or Three having some left in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Hopefully heading into Dundrum to get this tomorrow. Any chance of Meteor or Three having some left in stock?

No and come after 5 ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I got mine from 3 today, I got it on prepay, don't think they were supposed to sell it to me but they did any way. For whoever asked, I can confirm that mine has the bloatware.

Nolimits wrote: »
    I got mine from 3 today, I got it on prepay, don't think they were supposed to sell it to me but they did any way. For whoever asked, I can confirm that mine has the bloatware.

oh bummer. the one i got from 3 uk last week only has 3 boot and down animation, no bloat apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Does anyone know what the thing that looks like an N is beside the WiFi symbol?

Nolimits wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the thing that looks like an N is beside the WiFi symbol?

NFC. Turn it off in settings > more. It will only drain your battery if you don't use it.

For anyone that ordered a dot view case from xpansys:

I just got an email from Vodafone saying they have the M8 in stock, and that you get a free dot view case with it.

I then went back and checked my link from xpansys and it said that they also have it in stock now, after saying it was a month away a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Received my sim free M8 from expansys today. Delivered within 24 hrs !
    Very happy so far coming from the M7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

See Vodafone haven't made the phone available to existing customers on upgrade.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Heard the camera is pretty poor and there's no optical image stabilisation, this true?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Worth an upgrade from the previous HTC One?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I went to Carphonewarehouse today and asked if they had the HTC M8. I got a quare look off the assistant, then he said "we have them, but they're not for sale yet."

I said "they're not for sale yet?"

"Yeah," he said, "what network are you on?"

I told him I'm looking to buy it ready-to-go.

"Oh no we don't sell those at all".

So I went next door to the Three shop and bought it there. I didn't want to ask them to cut my existing (Blueface) sim so I went back to Carphonewarehouse next door afterwards and asked the same guy "can you cut this to a nano size please".

Again I got the look.
    "We charge 2euro for that" he told me.

"Fine" I said and paid him with a smile (and 2 euro). I really didn't care at that stage because I was delighted to have my phone.

Later I realised if I had sense I should have asked him for a receipt because of course he just took the money off me and put it up on the counter.
    Anyway, he clearly is not a happy soul, but I am because my new HTC One M8 is bootiful! :)

(Three image on startup, a few Three apps/ links on there, but nothing obtrusive. I haven't tried uninstalling anything. My Blueface sim worked without issue ... *after* I fine-tuned the cut. Yer man in CPW had a final trick up his sleeve.. he cut it tight on one end, leaving a plastic margin on the other. I had to manually cut this at home with a stanley knife. Still, as I say, I was just glad to have the phone. Pity it has to be such a chore to get one Pay-as-you-go).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Ridiculous.

No surprises from them. Left them last year after my contract was up, they've a grand network, but their pricing etc. is sh1te. I left them when they very sneakily removed the free data roaming on my upgrade. It was never mentioned. I kept the same legacy plan and yet they decided to remove that bit of the plan without notice. I swore I'd never go back to them after that.

Ridiculous.

Is this for anyone receiving an upgrade, or just what they've told you? Is your contract about to end, or you're requesting an early upgrade?

Heard the camera is pretty poor and there's no optical image stabilisation, this true?

The camera being poor is one of the biggest myths out there. It's a 4MP camera, so it's true it isn't for you if you want it for pictures of scenery, or if you want to crop and zoom on everything.

If you use your phone camera for catching moments, on a night out, or for tasking photos of kids/animals, there is no better camera out there at the moment.

Here's some samples, and there's plenty more if you search the net.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt425/sets/72157642908546733/

I was talking to a buddy who works for o2 earlier and they received the phones after I cancelled my order so people should receive their orders today.

I'm happy I cancelled though because the meteor phone I got in cpw has absolutely no bloatware or network branding. That's the great thing about buying a phone on release date I find a lot of times the phones are unlocked.

I upgraded from the ONE and they are similar phones so the upgrade may not be for everyone but I'm delighted I did. So far I'm noticing improved battery life so that alone is worth an upgrade for me. I like the difference in screen size I always thought the m7 to be slightly slim coming from an s3 but the m8 is perfect size now I think. The new camera features are an added bonus. I'm not too pushed either about mega pixel size the ONE camera has always been fine for my use. I mainly take pics of my kids who are constantly on the move and the pics always come out great, nice and clear. I'm looking forward to getting a proper look at the phone today and also testing out the speakers.

I can't see anyone being disappointed with the m8 unless they're not into bigger size screens which I suppose isn't for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Basil3 wrote: »
    Is this for anyone receiving an upgrade, or just what they've told you? Is your contract about to end, or you're requesting an early upgrade?

Just viewing the phone online. I haven't even logged on to verify my details. I'll be ringing my local shop later today but the plans are expensive. emobile pricing seems a runner for me. Three coverage is shonky down my way.

Screenshot_2014-04-04-07-02-01_zpsi7ryywbu.png

What's up with blinkfeed? I don't like the new scroll effect on it. It takes more effort to scroll through it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I was passing carphone warehouse yesterday and dropped in to see if they had the m8 to "try" it.

Long story short I am now a proud owner. On meteor so just picked up a prepay. Twas 559 Euro but It seems to have no branding or bloatware and I think it might be unlocked :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Couple of points about Carphone Warehouse, Gunther while the Sales consultant shouldn't have given you a 'quare look' the fact is if the phone hasn't been set up on the CPW computer system then they can't sell you the phone, there's nothing that consultant can do about it. This is done centrally from head office, not in store. Also to answer another question from a couple of pages ago, unless things have changed since I was working there Vodafone stock in CPW is always locked to Vodafone. Vodafone have (or had) a pack ID system for every phone sold on their network which must be entered with every purchase or upgrade.

Advertisement