Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Soggypants

I think meteor are the cheapest. Got the m8 with speaker for 199 euro. The phone is also unlocked, just as the M7 was last year. 31 euro a month for 400 mins 400 txts and 1gb data. Maybe not enough for some. But suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

Considering get this on prepay. Anyone know if any of the store here are selling it sim free?

Daith wrote: »
    Considering get this on prepay. Anyone know if any of the store here are selling it sim free?
    I went into the meteor store last year and they sold me the htc one for 530 straight out. I think it's 549 for the M8. Vodafone have it for 629 PAYG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Soggypants wrote: »
    I think meteor are the cheapest. Got the m8 with speaker for 199 euro. The phone is also unlocked, just as the M7 was last year. 31 euro a month for 400 mins 400 txts and 1gb data. Maybe not enough for some. But suits me.

Is that deal off their website ?

threein99 wrote: »
    Is that deal off their website ?
    Yes, it's on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Soggypants wrote: »
    Yes, it's on the website.

No 4g included in it, still a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I've got my M8 since Thur afternoon and I've just noticed that the top front part of the phone where the camera and speaker grill is has lifted slightly where it meets the screen. I've pressed it down again and it seems to have stuck back down for now. Going to keep an eye on it if it happens again I'll be returning the phone to HTC. Seems to be glued into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I've got my M8 since Thur afternoon and I've just noticed that the top front part of the phone where the camera and speaker grill is has lifted slightly where it meets the screen. I've pressed it down again and it seems to have stuck back down for now. Going to keep an eye on it if it happens again I'll be returning the phone to HTC. Seems to be glued into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Has anyone else found the swipe to unlock very hit and miss?

WetDaddy wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of that. Thanks! If it's true, it saves me hassle alright since I've an upgrade so I won't be purchasing from abroad.

I purchased Sandisk Ultra 32GB micro SD on ebay for €20 from a local eBay seller, so space isn't an issue for me any more.
    1jcdub wrote: »

Don't accept anything less than perfect.
    quarryman wrote: »
    Has anyone else found the swipe to unlock very hit and miss?

I've found it perfect. In fact, I had to turn gestures off when wiping my screen down, as it kept turning on :D

• Advertisement

Anyone know how I add apps to the middle menu button (other than google) when I drag up?

I'd like to pick up a couple of chargers for this. Will any micro USB charger do or do I need to keep an eye on voltage/current etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Bought mine yesterday 3 UK £474.99 which includes a £15 top up, unlocked to all networks, the camera is actually excellent anyone talking about how many megapixels obviously doesn't know much about photography.

Stunning design and blazing fast, already contender for phone of the year 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Uriel. wrote: »
    That's a bit of a bold statement to be coming out with. M8 is the first major "next iteration" to hit the market. What are you basing this statement on, just build quality?

S5, Z2, G3, Note 4, oppo find 7, iPhone 6 all still to come.

G3 rumours would suggest a a heavy hitting spec, z2 has similar(ish) build quality and initial reactions seem to suggest a very Polished device with big specs. IPhone 6 is expected to make a splash into the big screen world and is surely to maintain its great build quality. Note 4 is a bit of an unknown beast at this stag, as is tthe oppo to a degree, tho the screen is supposed to be next big thing.

I haven't even mentioned the nexus 6.

I think it's way to early to be handing out phone of the year awards just yet

Yes it is very early days but I just can't see anything else coming close.

The HTC is in a different standard to everything else. Sure the iPhone will always have its fanboys and sales will be great but it doesn't mean it will necessarily be the best phone. Im looking forward to seeing what they will do with the big screen but apart from that and some software niggles I doubt they will introduce anything "game changing"

Other phones like the S5 are good but as I previously said they are just full of gimmicks. I suspect the S5 will be the closet contender but the M8 will definitely win out.
    The only other phone I will be looking forward to is the oppo find 7 purely due to speculation of a 4K screen but I think that alone will be their USP....apart from the obvious processor and RAM upgrade. I still don't think the new screen will cause a huge tipping of the scales mostly likely due to people never hearing of oppo.

I got the phone yesterday and already I am completely satisfied with the build quality and the software changes. Its just a pleasure to use with little effort in the setup. The screen and camera are amazing...even though I think the screen has less ppi than the M7.

I strongly suggest to anyone sitting on the fence about this phone to make the jump and get it. You will not be disappointed...especially when this wins phone of the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Really can't see why they couldn't put a 3000 mah battery into the phone. I use my phone alot and battery is crucial for me. My M7 was dead around 3pm, which really is annoying as it's a great phone.

Might still get it later on in the year but also very interested in the G3. The rumoured specs are unreal and they should include a beast of a battery. Interesting times.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Really can't see why they couldn't put a 3000 mah battery into the phone. I use my phone alot and battery is crucial for me. My M7 was dead around 3pm, which really is annoying as it's a great phone.

Might still get it later on in the year but also very interested in the G3. The rumoured specs are unreal and they should include a beast of a battery. Interesting times.

The m8 has better battery life than the note 3 and g2, battery life isnt all about numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Anyone know where is the cheapest place to get the DOT View case?? Looks like a useful accessory and I will probably buy for full price if I can't find it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Actually trying to find the dot view case available anywhere seems to be the hard part!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Does anyone know somewhere (ideally somewhere close or with quick delivery) I can get the Otterbox Commuter case for the M8? Amazon won't ship it to Ireland and their UK site doesn't list it. Same for Otterbox themselves.

My M8 is arriving in the morning and I'd like to get it right into an Otterbox ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Does anyone know somewhere (ideally somewhere close or with quick delivery) I can get the Otterbox Commuter case for the M8? Amazon won't ship it to Ireland and their UK site doesn't list it. Same for Otterbox themselves.

My M8 is arriving in the morning and I'd like to get it right into an Otterbox ASAP.

Set up a parcel motel account. It will ship it to the UK (Northern Irish) address for them, they will bring it to your local parcel motel for €3.

• Advertisement

sebcity wrote: »
    Set up a parcel motel account. It will ship it to the UK (Northern Irish) address for them, they will bring it to your local parcel motel for €3.

Thanks, but they won't deliver to any UK address either. My brother lives in NI, but it wouldn't accept his address either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Thanks, but they won't deliver to any UK address either. My brother lives in NI, but it wouldn't accept his address either.

Comes with a Rubber case its not to bad htc so its snug might get you by until you can get a otterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Can any owners confirm if the volume button is loose and/or rattling?

I have gone through eight M8 phones in three stores, ultimately returning it for a refund. They were all very loose and rattling.

Was onto HTC directly and they said it should be firm, not at all loose and definitely not rattle when shook.

If NOT loose, where did you buy it?

Youtube video demonstrating the issue:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-cDDgSwpo

Volume key seems fine for me. EIGHT phones you went through?

Overall I'm enjoying the phone, I guess. But too big annoyances.

1. When locking the phone with the power button on top I grip the phone in one hand and click the button with my index finger. However I always seem to hit the volume button with the palm of my hand at the same time which means the power button doesn't work. I've put it into my pocket at few times not realising i hadn't actually locked it.

2. When using the phone in my right hand and reaching over to hit something on the screen on the left side with my thumb I also hit the screen on the right hand side with the inside of my palm. This means I'm touching the screen in two places and the thumb does nothing.

Both are quite annoying and happen a lot. Anybody else get this? Maybe I have extra fleshy palms or something, I don't know.

Yup eight. They stopped allowing me to exchange at one stage because they said it must be an intended feature. Although HTC disagrees with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Joseph wrote: »
    Yup eight. They stopped allowing me to exchange at one stage because they said it must be an intended feature. Although HTC disagrees with them...

How many would you expect them to open for you those 8 will have to be returned to HTC leaving them short on stock. Once opened it can't just be resold, to be honest in thier position I would of stopped you a lot sooner than 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Has anyone actually got experience with of both m7 /m8 ,
    Been in need of a new phone since i got the OH a Z1 for her birthday,
    Had my eye on the the original M7 now thinking of going straight for the M8

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭p2p2p

I had a quick look at the otterbox.com website and there's an option to ship to Ireland. (Picked from dropdown list in order details, although I didn't go through the whole process)
    The "Free standard shipping" only applies to the US but there's nothing obvious stopping you shipping it to Ireland but I'm sure they'll charge you extra for it.
    Try it and good luck!

p2p2p wrote: »
    I had a quick look at the otterbox.com website and there's an option to ship to Ireland. (Picked from dropdown list in order details, although I didn't go through the whole process)
    The "Free standard shipping" only applies to the US but there's nothing obvious stopping you shipping it to Ireland but I'm sure they'll charge you extra for it.
    Try it and good luck!

Cheers for checking! Before I saw this, I checked Amazon again and found a seller that would ship from the US, so I ordered it along with a 64GB Class 10 SanDisk MicroSD card :)

• Advertisement

Richie6904 wrote: »
    How many would you expect them to open for you those 8 will have to be returned to HTC leaving them short on stock. Once opened it can't just be resold, to be honest in thier position I would of stopped you a lot sooner than 8!
    Given that they're faulty they are going to be returned anyway - what's your point? They will get a full refund for the faulty merch and will be better off not selling off to multiple customers.

Advertisement