Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Getting one of these tomorrow and was checking out XDA there just before hand to see what the situation is with rooting roms etc.

They dont seem to have a section for any international models of this phone from what i can see.

What is the version sold in Ireland called ? Like i know the Samsung Galaxy s3 i had was i9300 for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Getting one of these tomorrow and was checking out XDA there just before hand to see what the situation is with rooting roms etc.

They dont seem to have a section for any international models of this phone from what i can see.

What is the version sold in Ireland called ? Like i know the Samsung Galaxy s3 i had was i9300 for example.

Most of the ROM's would be international I can recommend SkyDragon ROM, amazing battery life and exceptionally smooth.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Most of the ROM's would be international I can recommend SkyDragon ROM, amazing battery life and exceptionally smooth.

Nice1 thanks!

Just a bit turned off by the fact flashing some stuff for other branded phones can brick them so i was just curious as to what XDA call the international model on there ? So i know where to look i love flicking threw things for a phone its hard to though when u dont know which model of the phone u should be checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Think there is about 3 sections on XDA about the M8, think there is at&t and verizon forums but you should just be looking at the standard section that covers all the models http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8

rooted mine and intalled ARHD the day that i got it using the instructions there without any problems.

just looked there and there are 5 forums for it, but the other 4 are for the US version, no need to be using anything in those forums.

allen175 wrote: »
    Think there is about 3 sections on XDA about the M8, think there is at&t and verizon forums but you should just be looking at the standard section that covers all the models http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8

rooted mine and intalled ARHD the day that i got it using the instructions there without any problems.

just looked there and there are 5 forums for it, but the other 4 are for the US version, no need to be using anything in those forums.

Nice one thanks all i could see was the US ones !.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 91AP

My M8 was a bit laggy while on charge so I turned it off. A few seconds later i turned it back on and the screen was dead. Like there was a vibration from pressing the power button but the screen was just a lighter black with nothing on it. Now half the screen is just black. I can do the double tap to wake thing but its only half the screen showing up. Both sides of the screen are working though as if I rotate the phone the other side of the display will work while the other goes black.

Can't reach HTC or Meteor right now. Absolutely pissed off about this..I payed over €500 for this phone.

EDIT..
    Half the screen worked and I sent and error report twice to HTC. The phone then rebooted itself and is now working perfect. I think I'll be brining it back in tomorrow. Only thing is I now cant prove anything is wrong.

SkyDragon? ARHD? Seriously guys, Viper is the only ROM where the devs are actually devs and code new features for our benefit.

The M8 is smooth and has amazing battery life on stock, I wouldn't be flashing a custom ROM for those benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Just got the M8 this evening via a swap for a Z2! No nano SIM to try another network SIM in it but it was bought from Carphone Warehouse.....has anyone else gotten theirs form there....if so was it unlocked do you know?

All the best,
    M

Im currently trying to s off the phone with firewater.

I get right down to the last step i type in Yes click enter and get this....

********** whelp, this sucks, firewater can not work on your device **********
    ********** no amount of reflashing, retrying, or ruuing will fix... **********
    ********** DO NOT COME TO IRC ASKING FOR UPDATES OR ETAS!!!!!! **********
    ********** if we are able to fix this issue, it will be announced **********
    ********** bye bye.....sorry it didn't work out. **********

Any ideas ? I am on vodafone and i already rooted and stuck a recovery on the phone.

Also one other thing ive noticed the apps i delete threw titanium backup restore to the phone when the phone is shut down and rebooted. Whats causing this?

Im currently trying to s off the phone with firewater.

I get right down to the last step i type in Yes click enter and get this....

********** whelp, this sucks, firewater can not work on your device **********
    ********** no amount of reflashing, retrying, or ruuing will fix... **********
    ********** DO NOT COME TO IRC ASKING FOR UPDATES OR ETAS!!!!!! **********
    ********** if we are able to fix this issue, it will be announced **********
    ********** bye bye.....sorry it didn't work out. **********

Any ideas ? I am on vodafone and i already rooted and stuck a recovery on the phone.

Also one other thing ive noticed the apps i delete threw titanium backup restore to the phone when the phone is shut down and rebooted. Whats causing this?

I think the message from Firewater is pretty clear - the exploit won't work on your device, it's due to a hardware limitation.

I'm reliably informed that beaups is close to cracking it for those of us that can't get s-off though.

Which apps are you removing with titanium backup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

S-off is system write protection off. Because you still have it on ( s-on) any system apps you remove will reinstall themselves.

S-off is system write protection off. Because you still have it on ( s-on) any system apps you remove will reinstall themselves.

I'm sorry, that is completely wrong. S-off turns security flag off, and allows you to flash different hboots and change your splash screen, for example.

System write protection is still enabled with s-on. I am rooted with a custom ROM and I can modify system partition, flash kernels etc. The benefit of having s-off is actually less than it used to be. Still nice to have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

Basil3 wrote: »
    SkyDragon? ARHD? Seriously guys, Viper is the only ROM where the devs are actually devs and code new features for our benefit.

The M8 is smooth and has amazing battery life on stock, I wouldn't be flashing a custom ROM for those benefits.

Any idea what the new features are? I am interested in flashing a ROM but I want to know if there will be any advantage.

dakid wrote: »
    Any idea what the new features are? I am interested in flashing a ROM but I want to know if there will be any advantage.

Read the first few posts here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2705292

There are so many features I wouldn't be able to list them. I'm part of the 'team' and struggle to keep up with everything they add.

I think the message from Firewater is pretty clear - the exploit won't work on your device, it's due to a hardware limitation.

I'm reliably informed that beaups is close to cracking it for those of us that can't get s-off though.

Which apps are you removing with titanium backup?

That's good so! Just the stock Google apps etc. I got rid by installing a rom and deleting them threw the installation.

Still notice the odd thing going back though like apps changing from pro back to basic it happened with titanium.

Been looking on Amazon for cases the dot one looks cool but I want something that works ok for one handed use and protects the front of the phone in my pocket.

I had one of those cheap leather flip over ones for my s3 but I want something to match the expensive look of this phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi All,
    Looking for some help here
    I have a HTC One X and I'm thinking of changing to HTC One (M7) or HTC M8.

On my plan I'm being offered HTC One (M7) for €49 and M8 for €179 (24 months)

Is there that much of a difference in the phones?
    I use the phone as
    - Camera: (digital camera & camcorder is in the press somewhere with cobwebs)
    - Music: Listen to music in gym via Bluetooth head phones
    - SMS: about 100 per week
    - Phone:
    -Data: normally use wifi to look at internet, mails, facebook, Netflix. Very little use of mobile data.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Bravobabe wrote: »
    Hi All,

I use the phone as
    - Phone:
    -Data: normally use wifi to look at internet, mails, facebook, Netflix. Very little use of mobile data.

For someone like yourself who is a light phone user, I would say just go for the M7, it's a solid device. The only real advantage of the M8 would be battery life, but I suspect you don't have to charge your phone daily as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hi All,

I use the phone as
    - Phone:

I was in a similar boat to you recently (you can probably find my post and responses a few pages back). I went for the M8. Don't regret it for a second. Camera is superb on it, front and back. Music sounds great on it (though it depends on your headphones of course). The screen is excellent too, great for web browsing, apps and even Netflix :) Whereas before, when at home, I'd always reach for my tablet, I find myself now content just to use the M8 for the majority of things.

EDIT: I suppose, as Basil3 says, the One is still a very well spec'd phone so it comes down to if you are willing to spend the extra to get a little extra. Battery is a big plus alright but I also think the camera is an improvement too.

Bacchus wrote: »

EDIT: I suppose, as Basil3 says, the One is still a very well spec'd phone so it comes down to if you are willing to spend the extra to get a little extra. Battery is a big plus alright but I also think the camera is an improvement too.

I would say that in general the camera is definitely better, although without having OIS now, videos are shakier. I'm sure this will get better as they improve the stabilisation algorithm.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi Basil3 & Bacchus.
    Thanks for your replies - appreciate them.

TBH - I understand Basil3 point about the HTC One M7, as I was initially going to go that way, but I like my gadgets and would like to have the phone for a few years. So I probable will end up going down the M8 route.

Bacchus - I will also have at look at the responses to your query - cheers

Camera: I see a lot of conflicting info on the M8's camera (in particular compared to the S5). But you both appear to agree that the camera is better on the M8 (v the M7), and is still a fairly good camera.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Does anyone know where the best/cheapest place to buy one of these sim free is? I was going to hold out for the blue one but I far as I can tell only the gun metal gray will have the brushed finish. That and HTC are taking their time revealing and releasing it plus you can't get the Harmon/kardoon edition it isn't available here sim free.

Hi Basil3 & Bacchus.

TBH - I understand Basil3 point about the HTC One M7, as I was initially going to go that way, but I like my gadgets and would like to have the phone for a few years. So I probable will end up going down the M8 route.

Camera: I see a lot of conflicting info on the M8's camera (in particular compared to the S5). But you both appear to agree that the camera is better on the M8 (v the M7), and is still a fairly good camera.

Thanks

You're pretty much exactly in the same boat I was in. The "future proofing" swayed me to the M8 too. I think the One only has 1 more year of official support from HTC/Google (open to correction on that) whereas the M8 will be supported for a few more Android updates.

Hi Basil3 & Bacchus.

Thanks
    Bacchus wrote: »
    You're pretty much exactly in the same boat I was in. The "future proofing" swayed me to the M8 too. I think the One only has 1 more year of official support from HTC/Google (open to correction on that) whereas the M8 will be supported for a few more Android updates.

To be honest, someone asked the exact same question a while ago, and I recommended the M8. I just thought you were a light user, and didn't seem to bothered about the upgrade at all.

Personally, I've had every one of HTC's last 5 flagships on the day they've come out - I would always go for the best thing on offer.

On a side note, there has been a lot of talk about the HTC M8 Prime being released, which sounds absolutely amazing. There's always something newer coming out!

To be honest, someone asked the exact same question a while ago, and I recommended the M8.

That was me! :D Great recommendation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

finally got the Dot View case . very happy with it excpt as other posters have said the front flip toes not stay open my itself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

On a side note, there has been a lot of talk about the HTC M8 Prime being released, which sounds absolutely amazing. There's always something newer coming out!

Saw that on Android Authority and I'm quite interested. Looks like it will have a different camera to the M8. I've an M7 and find the camera to be absolute balls, worse than my old One X even. Only positive I can give it is the OIS for video - which they removed on the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

How are people finding the battery life. I have to say I'm disappointed considering it was a major selling point for me. I could probably stretch 2 days out if I was using it very lightly. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

http://m.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m8_gets_treated_to_a_minor_software_update-news-8358.php

Anyone receive this firmware update for their sim free M8?

Saw that on Android Authority and I'm quite interested. Looks like it will have a different camera to the M8. I've an M7 and find the camera to be absolute balls, worse than my old One X even. Only positive I can give it is the OIS for video - which they removed on the M8.

If it finally has the Corephotonics camera with something like 2 x 5MP with upscaling, optical zoom etc, I'll be all over it.

BTW, I thought the M7 camera was great, and M8 also. Just depends what you use it for.
    medic087 wrote: »
    How are people finding the battery life. I have to say I'm disappointed considering it was a major selling point for me. I could probably stretch 2 days out if I was using it very lightly. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Battery life is indeed fantastic. There are too many variables that can affect battery life, but it should have noticeably better battery life than any devices from 2013 and before (excluding Note, I'd say). My phone spends a lot of time connected to my laptop, but it is definitely much easier on the battery than the One was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

1jcdub wrote: »
    http://m.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m8_gets_treated_to_a_minor_software_update-news-8358.php

Anyone receive this firmware update for their sim free M8?

Seems to be an update which is adding extreme power saving mode to North American M8s. We have it on our phones already.

Advertisement