Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

Caliden wrote: »
    Quick question about flashing.

Is your manufacturers warranty voided when you do it?

Not necessarily. Not for any clear manufacturers defect.

mossie wrote: »
    I installed ViperOne on my M8 last week and love it. Very configurable and loads of tweaks to the stock ROM. One question : is there anything to be gained by using a custom kernel and if so which should I consider?

Not really any more. They used to be useful for features such as sweep to wake etc, but that's a bit redundant on the M8.

Some people swear by battery life and performance improvements, but I've always found stock kernel to be the best and most stable.

No harm in trying a few kernels. Make sure you give them a few days to really see if they make a difference for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Picked one of these up yesterday from Carphone Warehouse. Went with Vodafone for 55/month. Phone was free and the plan (unlimited calls/texts, 3gb data, 100 roaming minutes per month) was similar if not better than the one I was getting with emobile. Emobile were looking for 229 for the phone up front.

Loving the phone so far after coming from an S3. It's a bit bigger but feels thinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Got my Official Dot View case yesterday. It's pretty good, I am satisfied and would recommend. I just have a few minor peeves with it:

Smudges the screen with dots
    Awkward to use with one hand
    My personal case has a slight lift in the corner near the camera lens so It won't sit flush :( I wonder would HTC replace it for me?

I got mine as a BDay present, Im not sure if I would splash out €50 myself, maybe it the price drops!!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Has anyone received a Vodafone personalized app update through HTC?. I received this when I did a manual software update check on my sim free international M8! I haven't accepted the update as its optional and I don't need it! Screenshot attached
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qq0b3l4qh4hyc9/Screenshot_2014-06-17-16-33-50.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

skeg16 wrote: »
    Smudges the screen with dots

Fair comment.
    Awkward to use with one hand

I generally use it with two hands anyway....
    My personal case has a slight lift in the corner near the camera lens so It won't sit flush :( I wonder would HTC replace it for me?

Same with me, but it settles down after a week. Totally flush now.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Anyone get the Dot View Case cheeper than 40 Euro? I think 40 is a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I picked up the Dot View case - it's got to be said it's pretty cool. It doesn't give the phone much shock protection though compared to a bumper. Don't drop it!

Maybe we'll see some 3rd party innovation in the next while with alternative dot view cases?

Chibs wrote: »

Paid €20 from Xpansys, but think they put their prices up.

I'd be looking for one second hand. I'm sure there's some people that got it and just don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

Chibs wrote: »

You can have mine. Bought it, used it for about two days and bought a standard case. It's mint and a good case just not functional for me to be honest. PM if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Basil3 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Not for any clear manufacturers defect.

I have an issue with the mic and also an issue with the headphone jack (can go into specifics if anyone wants); from some exhaustive research online, it seems that it's a defective device.

I'd like to go into an O2 store and see if they'll investigate / do a straight swap out. I am on the stock ROM but have rooted my phone, have a custom recovery installed and have also done the Harman Kardonn upgrade (this would be the most noticeable unless the tech reboots into the bootloader). Does anyone know what the likliehood of me running into hassle getting a swap out for this would be?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

WetDaddy wrote: »
    I have an issue with the mic and also an issue with the headphone jack (can go into specifics if anyone wants); from some exhaustive research online, it seems that it's a defective device.

I'd like to go into an O2 store and see if they'll investigate / do a straight swap out. I am on the stock ROM but have rooted my phone, have a custom recovery installed and have also done the Harman Kardonn upgrade (this would be the most noticeable unless the tech reboots into the bootloader). Does anyone know what the likliehood of me running into hassle getting a swap out for this would be?

Thanks!
    I had issues with that Harmon Kardon mod on my M8, had to take it off, have you tried removing it?

Meesared wrote: »
    I had issues with that Harmon Kardon mod on my M8, had to take it off, have you tried removing it?

Ooooh... Interesting! No, I haven't, but I'll give it a shot. What were the problems that you saw?

Ooooh... Interesting! No, I haven't, but I'll give it a shot. What were the problems that you saw?
    No audio from heaphones, when playing music very bizarre. Played streaming audio fine, but that Harman Kardon Mod, messes with a lot of audio configs, can cause a lot of issues.

Meesared wrote: »
    No audio from heaphones, when playing music very bizarre. Played streaming audio fine, but that Harman Kardon Mod, messes with a lot of audio configs, can cause a lot of issues.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm searching to see if there's an easy way to remove it (rather than restore a full backup). You don't happen to know by any chance? Sorry to ask all the questions!

Theres a flashable zip on the post on XDA where it comes from, to remove it

I think I must have found it on a different post on XDA, but I did find this (although it was ViperROM specific): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=52294479

I'll search for my original source. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Biggest problem with the dot view case is that it leaves little rubber marks on the screen. They just wipe off but it's a bit of a silly oversight!

Its a very clever idea but could be far better implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

pedatron wrote: »
    You can have mine. Bought it, used it for about two days and bought a standard case. It's mint and a good case just not functional for me to be honest. PM if interested.

PM Sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

Thanks!

Out of curiosity what was the issue with the headphone jack. I've a very small prob which I can't decide is worth the hassle of returning the phone over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyone had any issues installing the new update (1.7.0) for viper one ?

Cant get either the OTA or full install to work they both fail. Ive wiped my phone and everything. Never had an issue like this with any phone or rom before.

trev44 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what was the issue with the headphone jack. I've a very small prob which I can't decide is worth the hassle of returning the phone over.

The issue with the jack is that when earphones (and I've tried a few different pairs!) are inserted correctly, all the way, the sound only comes out the left channel. If they're removed slightly (about 0.5cm) then it's stereo sound, but the left channel is static-y and the overall volume is too low. I've seen reports of the same problem in various places online and all solutions there were to swap out the hardware. I've tried everything incl. cleaning out the headphone jack.

My mic problem (for anyone who's interested!) is that on a regular phone call, nobody can hear me. I'm extremely faint and, again, static-y unless I shout or speak DIRECTLY into the grille at the bottom of the phone. Otherwise, Speakerphone or BT headsets work perfect.

What's your headphone problem as a matter of interest?

Thanks!

Anyone had any issues installing the new update (1.7.0) for viper one ?

Cant get either the OTA or full install to work they both fail. Ive wiped my phone and everything. Never had an issue like this with any phone or rom before.

1.7.1 just released.

FWIW, I installed 1.7.0 from scratch today (coming from Revolution) and updated to 1.7.1 no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

The issue with the jack is that when earphones (and I've tried a few different pairs!) are inserted correctly, all the way, the sound only comes out the left channel. If they're removed slightly (about 0.5cm) then it's stereo sound, but the left channel is static-y and the overall volume is too low. I've seen reports of the same problem in various places online and all solutions there were to swap out the hardware. I've tried everything incl. cleaning out the headphone jack.

What's your headphone problem as a matter of interest?

Thanks!

Thanks for reply..
    My issue is a little different. Headphones work fine when fully inserted. Problem is that sometimes the jack comes out about 1mm and the volume lowers and Mic cuts out. the thing is that it takes a little less force than it should for the jack to pop out 1mm.
    Can't decided if it's worth the hassle of returning..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd check inside the slot to make sure something didn't get lodged down there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭- bo -

Can anyone recommend a decent, reasonably priced 64GB+ memory card?

I've bought two Sandisk ones off Amazon and both turned out to be duds. Only certain songs/albums will play, and most will fail to. Also, photos save to them but then will not display and I end up losing them. I've been trying for the past month to get my 40GB+ music library on to my M8 various ways (Two laptops, both by USB, by dragging and dropping, by using HTC Sync, by using memory card readers. All very long drawn out processes and all failed). I'm really on the verge of tearing my hair out and especially as I had an old iPod with my music library but it recently fell in water. I know some will think, well you don't need that much music on it, but I like the idea of having all my music on the go, and I have only 3GB internal storage left.

I'd really appreciate any help, seems like it's been too much to ask to get my hands on a decent reliable SD card.

I've always bought flash drives and SD cards from here:
    http://mymemory.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Before I finally get one. (For free which is nice) are they a good and generally fault free phone?

Advertisement