Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I posted in the official HTC forums but i reckon it's about as busy as an abandoned shopping centre.

Anyway, have the phone about 2 weeks, and for the last few days when sending an SMS from the stock app, nearly every normal word is underlined in red, as if it's spelled wrong (see attachment). The keyboard is set to QWERTY, English (UK) and no bilingual. Word Prediction and Next Word Prediction are on (as they always were). I have absolutely no idea what i managed. It's extremely annoying, and even auto-corrects mis-spelled words to the correct spelling, and when i press space the auto-corrected word is underlined in red...

Anyone any ideas? I'm reluctant to do a factory reset so early in it's life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I posted in the official HTC forums but i reckon it's about as busy as an abandoned shopping centre.

Anyway, have the phone about 2 weeks, and for the last few days when sending an SMS from the stock app, nearly every normal word is underlined in red, as if it's spelled wrong (see attachment). The keyboard is set to QWERTY, English (UK) and no bilingual. Word Prediction and Next Word Prediction are on (as they always were). I have absolutely no idea what i managed. It's extremely annoying, and even auto-corrects mis-spelled words to the correct spelling, and when i press space the auto-corrected word is underlined in red...

Anyone any ideas? I'm reluctant to do a factory reset so early in it's life!
    Have you tried using a different keyboard? SwiftKey is worth paying for but if you don't want to then try the Google one for free and see if you have the same problem.

I'll try a free one and see. I don't have the same problem with the stock keyboard in any other app, ie: Facebook, WhatsApp, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

The red underline is the spell check. Go to settings and Language & Keyboard and you an option for spell checker you can turn off.

Anyone of other skins you can use then the ones you get on the device. Not liking any of them, they look really cheap and can't believe how bad they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I was getting that for a while when trying it out. There was an update the other day for all the input languages and it sorted it. I've since gone back to SwiftKey though.

• Advertisement

The red underline is the spell check. Go to settings and Language & Keyboard and you an option for spell checker you can turn off.

Thing is though, why is it showing correctly spelled words as incorrect, or even correcting mis-spelled words to the correct one and then saying it's incorrect!

No update yet, but e-mobile are always slow at updates...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Has anyone rooted yet? Any problems with same?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Thing is though, why is it showing correctly spelled words as incorrect, or even correcting mis-spelled words to the correct one and then saying it's incorrect!

No update yet, but e-mobile are always slow at updates...
    The keyboard language might be set to US so certain words are spelt slightly differently

As regards to e mobile supplied mobile. I believe they are sim free , so upitdates should come direct from HTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Uriel. wrote: »
    Has anyone rooted yet? Any problems with same?
    Rooted, S-OFF'd and a custom kernel applied (to disable system write protection) No issues, in fact now Ad blockers now work, whereas they didn't before.

1jcdub wrote: »
    The keyboard language might be set to US so certain words are spelt slightly differently

As regards to e mobile supplied mobile. I believe they are sim free , so upitdates should come direct from HTC.

Nope, set to UK and it's saying that words like do, of, example, what are incorrectly spelled, which they shouldn't be even if it was US.

For anyone that may be more savvy with android (I have no idea!):

Android 4.4.2
    Software number 1.54.104.5
    HTC SDK API level 6.17
    Kernel: 3.4.0-g88dafb7
    root@abm015 # 1
    SMP PREEMPT
    Basedband: 1.15.2133156.UA13G_20.18m.4096.04L
    Build: 1.54.401.5 CL325784 release-keys

• Advertisement

Just ordered a toast case with HTC logo and no custom text. Has anyone else here ever had a toast case?

http://www.toastmade.com/HTC_One.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Nolimits wrote: »
    Just ordered a toast case with HTC logo and no custom text. Has anyone else here ever had a toast case?

They look the business, what colour did you order?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Hi picked up my M8 2 days back and so far really happy with it, cracking device and it looks very high quality.....

Looking forward to finding my way around the whole HTC setup now

quarryman wrote: »
    They look the business, what colour did you order?

Walnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Nolimits wrote: »

Looks a great case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Any idea where I could pick up an arm band for running yo fit my M8, was hoping my old Samsung one would be alas.... No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I see that someone has supposedly hacked the apk for the dot view case to allow for third party notifications. They haven't as of yet released the steps for doing so. But seems like a great development.

Still not sure about the case though, the sound of the problem with led notification being blocked and the fact that it is difficult/impossible to use one handed is putting me off

Ok I feel like a bit of an idiot regarding 4g on Vodafone. I could never figure out why my signal icons would never show 4g or lte, and after a bit of research I discovered I Just needed to text 4G to 50221. Vodafone have obviously done something from their end, as my icons have now changed.

Don't know if it's actually any faster though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 91AP

Any idea where I could pick up an arm band for running yo fit my M8, was hoping my old Samsung one would be alas.... No.

I was looking for one myself out gave up on it. I'm using my Galaxy S4 case. It works pretty well. I just put the case upside down and all the ports are accessible and the screen fits perfect. The volume rockers is a bit fidgety but other than that it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Picked up this phone today. It runs SO smoothly!

• Advertisement

How do I get rid of the N or thunderbolt looking icon in the menu bar at the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 91AP

Mars Bar wrote: »
    How do I get rid of the N or thunderbolt looking icon in the menu bar at the top?

Try turning off NFC

That worked a treat, thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Mars Bar wrote: »

Go to settings then more and you'll see NFC and turn it off

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

How does it compare to the M7?

I have one of those and it still runs like a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How does it compare to the M7?

I have one of those and it still runs like a dream

Very similar, a bit bigger and I probably prefer the M7 to look at and to hold in the hand. The battery on the M8 is excellent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Has anyone found a solution to audio sync problems between the phone speakers and the boombass accessory or is there any news on an update or fix, which I'd assume is down to software or bluetooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd imagine the problem is with the Boombass accessory. I don't have one, but I play music from my phone through the bluetooth radio in the car regularly, with no issues.

(Unless I'm picking your issue up wrong?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

Has ANYONE found the Dot View case in any stores yet in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Red_Dwarf wrote: »
    Has ANYONE found the Dot View case in any stores yet in Dublin?

I have asked in phone shops in Carlow and Kilkenny and each time I've been met with blank stares like they have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm starting to think they don't exist :eek:

Advertisement