Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got the dot view case today.... Class!

Mr E wrote: »
    Got the dot view case today.... Class!

yup, and if you're rooted, one of the venom devs has hacked it to show notifications for any app of your choosing. don't know why htc limited it to so few!

http://youtu.be/orDOUuEvuuQ

works really well, should be released in the near future.

Very cool. Looks like a venom specific tweak. Hope he converts it to an independent app. I'd pay for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

I had the M7 which I converted into the GPE version. I was happy enough with that, although had issues upgrading to 4.4 so, when I got the M8 (and after reading positive reviews of Sense 6) I left it with the stock ROM.

However, for those interested, I've unlocked it, rooted it and now have S-Off. I've installed Xposed Framework with the Sense 6 Framework module (pretty cool; like a Sense-specific version of the GravityBox module) and, as of last night, I have the Harmon Kardon tweak installed. Haven't had a chance to test out the HK improvements yet today though!

Just thought I'd mention these things in case anyone else is interested in finding out some more. I'm new to Android myself (M7 was my first) so I'm happy to share what I've learned.

Oh, and the Dot View sounds interesting, but I just can't rate the Otterbox Commuter any higher. I've had them on my last 5 handsets.

Venom DotView Notifications has been released as a standalone app (for any Sense ROM, root required).

More info here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=53115180

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Venom DotView Notifications has been released as a standalone app (for any Sense ROM, root required).

More info here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=53115180

Yeah, think he decided he would get featured on xda portal if not venom exclusive :D

Definitely adds more functionality to the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Is anyone having an issue with their call quality? Callers are complaining that they can't hear me properly (very faint, static / crackling is there too). If I speak loudly, there's no problem. But if I speak at a normal volume, I can't be heard.

I've tried many different fixes / changes:

1. Blown dust out of the *rear* MIC (which helped, but for something else)
    2. Been calling my own voicemail to reproduce the issue and I can verify it's how I describe above.
    3. No problem when speakerphone is used, clear as day
    4. No problem using the voice recording app
    5. I ran the built in HTC audio diagnostic test and both MICs are confirmed working perfectly.
    6. Uninstalled all MIC related apps, such as Tasker + AutoVoice, Open MIC+, etc.
    7. Trawled XDA / HTC forums for various fixes (including screaming into the MICs a couple of times! :D)

I don't believe this is a hardware issue at all (especially because of point #5 above), but rather something to do with how the software / MIC manages it's own compression / normalisation levels. As I mentioned, when I speak loudly, there's no problem. So it's like the sensitivity is configured too low.

I haven't had anything more recent than 1.54.206.10 be pushed OTA to my phone, so it's possible that a later build may fix this. I did get an OTA update about 2 weeks ago (I'm on O2) and it *kinda* correlates with when I started seeing this issue, but it's hard to tell exactly!

Any opinions or anecdotes would be helpful! Also, I can't get confirmation anywhere of the exact location of the second MIC... I'm aware of the one on the rear next to the cameras, but the other one I *assume* is in the speaker grille at the bottom somewhere - anyone any idea where?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ifaptwohanded

I have this a few weeks now and very impressed so far, the camera is quality but an added little bonus were the earphones that were included in the box, the sound quality from the phone is already really good but the earphones are also quality. I maybe exaggerating here but having owned a a few sets that i use for gym and when out running these are probably the best set for quality and sound i have come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

My HTC M8 had stopped carrying out a daily backup to the cloud. I have to backup the phone manually. I carried out a reset on the phone, but it still won't carry out a daily backup.
    Anyone else having this problem or have a suggestion on what can resolve the problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just got a HTC One M8 and I have to say that I'm really impressed so far!

I'm on Software version 1.54.401.10

Android 4.4.2

Nice to see that HTC is using the Play Store to push out app updates for key components of the phone like Gallery etc too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

Got mine on 3 last Monday, fantastic phone in every way. Rooted and installed Viper which makes it even better but great out of the box anyway. Can't recommend highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Anyone got a link for a root guide they would recommend ?

I'm pleasantly surprised with the battery life. First smartphone I've had that has given me a full day's use on a single charge.

threein99 wrote: »
    Anyone got a link for a root guide they would recommend ?

I used this and it worked first go. http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-to/unlock-bootloader-root-your-htc-one-m8-0154444/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Anyone else experiencing long delays between selecting someone to call and the phone actually dialling? Has only started happening in last two weeks.
    At first I thought it was down to screen not responding but then I'd get a delayed first call through, followed by a second outgoing call being dialled while mid conversation with the other person

Anyone else receive a application update to their international sim free version M8? I got one this evening and was wondering what it was for... Maybe in preparation for 4.4.3...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

1jcdub wrote: »
    Anyone else receive a application update to their international sim free version M8? I got one this evening and was wondering what it was for... Maybe in preparation for 4.4.3...
    No news on 4.4.3 for the M8 yet

Meesared wrote: »
    No news on 4.4.3 for the M8 yet

Mines a SIM free EU version. I'll post here when I get any update.

SpaceTime wrote: »

Did you receive an application update?

Doesn't seem to be a guarantee of getting updated first anymore. Look at the sense 6 updates for M7 and One Max - carriers sent out updates first.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be a guarantee of getting updated first anymore. Look at the sense 6 updates for M7 and One Max - carriers sent out updates first.

In saying that, I'd be more excited at the thought of android 5.0!

Did you receive an application update?

Yup! Loads of HTC baked in apps updated through the Play Store.

I'm on software number: 1.54.401.10

Depends on which carrier! 3 for example are extremely slow to push put updates.

No the update didn't come through the Play Store it was over the air like a firmware updates

No the update didn't come through the Play Store it was over the air like a firmware updates

I had a system update followed by a smaller update followed by another system update since I got the phone on Tuesday.

Also Gallery and a heap of other apps updated through the Play Store.

I wasn't paying that much attention to version numbers as its a new phone so I just accepted everything being pushed from HTC before reinstalling too many of my favourite apps

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭darg

Anyone using ViperOne Rom on their M8? Opinions please?

darg wrote: »
    Anyone using ViperOne Rom on their M8? Opinions please?

Biased, but for me it's the best ROM by a country mile. Don't flash anything else. I'm just too used to my setup on it, so switching to another ROM only lasts an hour or two. Some things I use on a daily basis and really miss when on another ROM are customised 3 finger swipe actions (I have one for auto rotate and another for TV remote), long press power for flashlight (use it every night when locking up and going to bed) and customised nav bar buttons.

The main thing they have going for them is the devs are actual coders. They are always looking for different ways to improve the user experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Quick question about flashing.

Is your manufacturers warranty voided when you do it?

• Advertisement

Biased, but for me it's the best ROM by a country mile. Don't flash anything else. I'm just too used to my setup on it, so switching to another ROM only lasts an hour or two. Some things I use on a daily basis and really miss when on another ROM are customised 3 finger swipe actions (I have one for auto rotate and another for TV remote), long press power for flashlight (use it every night when locking up and going to bed) and customised nav bar buttons.

The main thing they have going for them is the devs are actual coders. They are always looking for different ways to improve the user experience.

I installed ViperOne on my M8 last week and love it. Very configurable and loads of tweaks to the stock ROM. One question : is there anything to be gained by using a custom kernel and if so which should I consider?

Advertisement