Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Anyone have a problem with the roaming switching itself on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I do like it. The fact it unlocks the phone when you open the case, I find very handy.
    The looks and features of the case are all great.
    The one downside is the case doesn't seem to be one of the strongest. I work outdoors and can be fairly clumsy at times, so I will really test it out.:o

You might need a more robust 'work case'. It's a pricy piece of kit to drop on concrete.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Tempted to trade in my s4 and get this,I'd get 200 off the price,the only thing I don't like is that it would have Vodafone bloatware on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I do like it. The fact it unlocks the phone when you open the case, I find very handy.
    The looks and features of the case are all great.
    The one downside is the case doesn't seem to be one of the strongest. I work outdoors and can be fairly clumsy at times, so I will really test it out.:o

Just pick mine up awhile ago. I actually put it on the phone and put the rubber bumper that came with the phone on over it. Works well, not perfect but useful extra protection for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How come I wasn't offered a free dot view case?!

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    You might need a more robust 'work case'. It's a pricy piece of kit to drop on concrete.
    I have it insured. So if the worse happens., it is not the end of the world.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Just pick mine up awhile ago. I actually put it on the phone and put the rubber bumper that came with the phone on over it. Works well, not perfect but useful extra protection for sure

Great idea. Just tried it out.
    Works surprisingly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Thinking of buying a new case for my M8. I'm looking for something that gives a bit of protection and is slim. Looking at Spigen Slim Armor or a Incipio feather case. Any recommendations or other ideas? I already have the tpu case that cane with the phone itself. Just looking for something to compliment the phone, that's not bulky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The spigen slim armour isn't actually all that slim. It's bulky and makes the phone pretty heavy. Excellent protection though.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

The spigen slim armour isn't actually all that slim. It's bulky and makes the phone pretty heavy. Excellent protection though.
    Thanks for that. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Hey all

Been a long time iPhone user, but I am now seriously considering making the switch to android, and in particular the HTC M8.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has recently switched from iOS to android, and how easy/hard it was to adjust?

Is the phone much bigger than the iPhone 4s?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Is the phone much bigger than the iPhone 4s?

Yeah, the iPhone seems tiny when you see them together, certainly the 5. But the size is very manageable.
    Regarding switching, the best thing to do is Google for the android equivalent to every iPhone app you use. If you have been in the iOS ecosystem for a while you may have already a decent investment made.
    There seem to be many more apps that are useful and free on Android to ease the transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just go to the Google Play store on the web and browse for your favourite apps.

The Android ecosystem is huge at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

1jcdub wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Any recommendations?

I'd but the spigen again no problem. It's a great case and the grey one matches the phone perfectly too. Other than that the case mate barely there cases are great but the top and bottom of the phone are exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

I'm sure it's been discussed here already but what have people made of the dot view case? Worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Idleater wrote: »
    Yeah, the iPhone seems tiny when you see them together, certainly the 5. But the size is very manageable.
    Regarding switching, the best thing to do is Google for the android equivalent to every iPhone app you use. If you have been in the iOS ecosystem for a while you may have already a decent investment made.
    There seem to be many more apps that are useful and free on Android to ease the transition.

Yeah I've been an iPhone user since 2008 and more recently a fairly heavy ipad user. My best bet is probably to go into a store and have a proper look & play around with the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

pedatron wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been discussed here already but what have people made of the dot view case? Worth it?

Got the dot view case for free from vodafone, it was delivered on Friday a full 2 weeks after i had got the handset..

Never was a fan of the flip-style case, and this is no different. yeah it does look kinda cool, and is handy in that you don't need to open the case to perform simple operations like answering calls of switching off alarm etc., however it is a bit of a gimmick to be honest. there is no customisability in terms of the dot view app that runs the system.

Put it simply, it's certainly not something i would pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I'm not a case person and it was a lot of effort to get since supply seemed quite constrained (maybe because I don't buy stuff from carriers). In retrospective not worth it for me. Probably a thriving second hand market from people who thought it looked cool but don't use cases selling it on.

psinno wrote: »
    I'm not a case person and it was a lot of effort to get since supply seemed quite constrained (maybe because I don't buy stuff from carriers). In retrospective not worth it for me. Probably a thriving second hand market from people who thought it looked cool but don't use cases selling it on.

Thanks lads. Went down town yesterday and picked it up in carphone. It's a nice case and cool idea but for day to day usage its not suitable or enjoyable. too in the way. The phones curved back is its own downfall for the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Thanks lads. Went down town yesterday and picked it up in carphone. It's a nice case and cool idea but for day to day usage its not suitable or enjoyable. too in the way. The phones curved back is its own downfall for the cover.

It also doesn't give great protection (save the screen) particularly down the sides of the phone. I have the rubber bumper on over it. Not perfect but it works.

Thankfully the dot view application is independent of sense and available in the play store so hopefully they'll improve the software features, especially extending notifications to Gmail. I use handcent for texting so the case is useful for that.

I do generally like the (idea of) the case though. It looks smart and being able to interact with the phone while it's closed is great, but it needs work. Certainly great potential for future iterations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

How much did you pay and where did you buy it??

skeg16 wrote: »
    How much did you pay and where did you buy it??

Carphone Warehouse Thurles and €39.99. Not a good price but it was an impulse buy and I needed to put something on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Can anybody tell me where i could successfully get one of these unlocked?

Been trying online for the last few days. Currently three companies have my money and only one
    has come back saying they cant get the code and offered a refund.

Is there any reliable place in town that can do it over the counter straight away?

Its on O2

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Appleguy wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me where i could successfully get one of these unlocked?

Been trying online for the last few days. Currently three companies have my money and only one
    has come back saying they cant get the code and offered a refund.

Is there any reliable place in town that can do it over the counter straight away?

Its on O2

Thanks in advance

Have you tried amazon? they have the unlocked version.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Have you tried amazon? they have the unlocked version.

Sorry maybe i wasn't as clear as i should have been. I have the phone but
    its locked on O2 Ireland. I just want to get it unlocked to use with a different
    sim card.

Some people in this thread were saying they got it unlocked in dublin for €15 but
    i cant find it and so far three companies have taken my money and said id get the
    code in a few hours and i got nothing.

Thanks

its locked on O2 Ireland. I just want to get it unlocked to use with a different
    sim card.

Some people in this thread were saying they got it unlocked in dublin for €15 but
    i cant find it and so far three companies have taken my money and said id get the

Thanks

Ohhh sorry completely misread your post :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

sim card.

Thanks

I think i have tried about 15 sites trying to unlock mine, apparently HTC have not released unlock codes for some carriers in the UK and Ireland. Hopefully we will have them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

quick question for anyone that knows, when I'm on lockscreen i somehow keep triggering "say caller name" what initiates this?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭HelpImAlive

quick question for anyone that knows, when I'm on lockscreen i somehow keep triggering "say caller name" what initiates this?

It happens when you pull your finger down along the screen, like when you pull it up it unlocks the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

It happens when you pull your finger down along the screen, like when you pull it up it unlocks the phone.

just tried what you suggest but it's not working.. strange one thanks for your help

never mind It worked, i was trying it when display was on it needs to be off
    cheers

Advertisement