Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

1jcdub wrote: »
    The M8 cane with a quick charge 1.0 setup. I find charging times to be quick from previous changers.
    Will be getting the quick charger 2.0 charger when available

Yup...if you look on the charger, output on the old HTC chargers was 1A, now 1.5A.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Anyone have any idea if the dot case is available anywhere in newry ? I tried ringing carphone warehouse but no answer.

Edit: picked one up as I passed by. Classy case :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Got this the other day, great phone so far, one question though, can you lower the vibration intensity?

Also the plug for charging is a ridiculous shape, it's way too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

medic087 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea if the dot case is available anywhere in newry ? I tried ringing carphone warehouse but no answer.

Edit: picked one up as I passed by. Classy case :-)

Where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

threein99 wrote: »
    Where did you get it?

Carphone warehouse in the quays. Last one they had though. Not sure if theyre getting more stock this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

AGoodison wrote: »
    Can anyone who upgraded from an S4 let me know how they are finding it? Especially regarding battery life and is there any features from the s4 that you miss on the one. Thanks!
    Battery life is unreal seriously considering 2 day use.
    My issue with the led is annoying but will sort it.
    Camera wise excellent.
    In general more responsive than the S4 that could be the lack of touchwiz though.
    Gripes at the moment miss the swipe to call from the message main screen. Led and not its fault useless new facebook app

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hey guys, a few people have asked already but can't see any responses so I'll ask too :)

I'm due an upgrade. I used my last upgrade for my wife's phone so I'm still in the stone age of the HTC Sensation :o

I can get the HTC One for free or the HTC One M8 for €150. Is the M8 worth the extra money? I've heard the battery isn't great on the One. The smaller screen size of the One appeals to me though. Is the M8 2nd camera a bit of a gimick? Is the One soon to become a device that won't support new releases of Android? Are we going to see it start to struggle under the weight of new apps that the M8 can breeze through?

Lot of questions but it boils down to, is the M8 really that much better than the One? Anyone have experience with both?

Bacchus wrote: »
    Hey guys, a few people have asked already but can't see any responses so I'll ask too :)

I'm due an upgrade. I used my last upgrade for my wife's phone so I'm still in the stone age of the HTC Sensation :o

I can get the HTC One for free or the HTC One M8 for €150. Is the M8 worth the extra money? I've heard the battery isn't great on the One. The smaller screen size of the One appeals to me though. Is the M8 2nd camera a bit of a gimick? Is the One soon to become a device that won't support new releases of Android? Are we going to see it start to struggle under the weight of new apps that the M8 can breeze through?

Lot of questions but it boils down to, is the M8 really that much better than the One? Anyone have experience with both?

Personally I would go the M8 without question. It would kill me to buy a device new a year after it's already out....but that's just me. Also, if you're planning on having the device for as long as you've had the Sensation, this also gives you another reason to go for the M8. HTC recently announced that they will fully support devices for 2 years. If you get the M7, then you only have a year left of software upgrades etc, the M8 you look forward to a full two years support.

There isn't really a lot of difference between the two, but the following reasons alone would justify the M8 for me:
    - Considerably better battery life
    - Faster, better and longer software support
    - Free screen replacement if you break it in the first 6 months (don't plan on doing this, but it's great to have!)

I don't think you would regret getting the M7, it's a fantastic device, but having had the M8, I couldn't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Bacchus wrote: »

As always, the answer is "it depends"...

For battery alone I'd much prefer the new one. If you do little with your phone but send/receive calls and texts chances are you can survive a day on a single charge with the One -just about.
    With the M8 its possible to do that and be at around 40% battery by midnight. You could probably last two days on a charge if you didn't push it too hard. I don't think that was possible on The One.

The One has recently had an upgrade to the latest Android as far as I know, so it should be fairly well featured for the rest of the year I'd say. I doubt you'd find many things out now where the M8 excels while the One struggles -both phones are still ahead of the curve -but anyway, what would be needed from an app to properly push these CPUs?

I like the camera on the M8. I have no complaints. Many of the effects such as 3D and the falling leaves, etc. are only visible on the camera itself so those are gimmicky. The dual camera is nice. Not €150 nice, but nice.

I'd put it this way -if the battery on The One seems ok to you (it never did to me) and if you don't mind that HTC will likely release one more Android version upgrade, if that, (pure guess on my part, but why would they do any more?) then get the One. It's a lovely phone.

I have zero complaints or niggles with my M8 after having it nor for three or more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭niamhg13

my contract is up soon,I'm thinking of changing my phone to htc one m8 from iPhone 4s-any recommendations,thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Thanks guys. Pretty much confirms a lot of what I'm feeling.

My usage of the Sensation is probably less than I would normally use a smartphone due to it being slow as sh*t and the battery lasting about an hour of actual use. So my phone habits will change with a new phone. I used to be all about having the latest and greatest but I've stuck with the Sensation for nearly 3 years now. I can see myself sticking with my next purchase for a similar length of time too. The battery is the biggest point for me. 2 years support is also nice. On the flip side, I'm not going to be running anything that will push a device to it's limits, so saving the money on the One seems like the sensible decision... who likes being sensible though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Probably gonna pick one of these up in the next couple of weeks.

Any recommendations on cases and screen protectors? I hate cases with covers, so looking to get something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/STRONG-FLEX-Spigen-Release-Capsule-Premium/dp/B00IF5B218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398158423&sr=8-1&keywords=htc+one+m8+case

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Any recommendations on cases and screen protectors? I hate cases with covers, so looking to get something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/STRONG-FLEX-Spigen-Release-Capsule-Premium/dp/B00IF5B218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398158423&sr=8-1&keywords=htc+one+m8+case

I'd say it's a good bit lighter than the Slim Armour one I got. It makes the phone extremely heavy but does offer great protection. FoneM8 screen savers are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I really don't understand this... My M7 has been in my pocket for about a year without any cladding and is almost perfect, apart from a couple of very small dings on the edges... What is the point in these cases?

They make the phone bigger, heavier, they scratch, get coated in grime and hold dust and sand close to your phone to ensure it gets scratched... Also, at the pressure points it will wear the finish of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I really don't understand this... My M7 has been in my pocket for about a year without any cladding and is almost perfect, apart from a couple of very small dings on the edges... What is the point in these cases?

They make the phone bigger, heavier, they scratch, get coated in grime and hold dust and sand close to your phone to ensure it gets scratched... Also, at the pressure points it will wear the finish of the phone.

In normal day to day situations I hate using cases, I have the original HTC One and I've never put a cover on it. However I'll probably be spending the bulk of my summer working on building sites and sadly phones don't stand up too well in that sort of environment, especially one's which have easily scratchable metal surfaces.

I always use screen protectors, they may say the glass is scratch resistant but that doesn't mean it's scratch proof. And I hate scratched screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Bluefoam wrote: »

Because people drop or damage phones for a variety of reasons (not all through their own fault) and a case is usually cheaper than up to 180quid for a screen replacement if you don't have insurance.

The edge of the screen is usually a weak spot for impacts and most of these covers will safeguard against a side impact on the screen by being raised above the edge of the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I use a case in my One X to protect from drops, I used a screen protector for a while and did so on my previous phone but I have took it off about six months ago and it is scratch free, take any semblance of care about what's in the same pocket and it should be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

What do you guys think about screen protectors? Does this phone need one? Any recommendations what to but?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Chibs wrote: »
    What do you guys think about screen protectors? Does this phone need one? Any recommendations what to but?

Ive only relied on cheapo ones, I find they take a lot of abuse but also can deminish from the quality of the screen and if they are replaced regularly wear away the oil/fingerprint resisting coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

Snaga wrote: »
    Because people drop or damage phones for a variety of reasons (not all through their own fault) and a case is usually cheaper than up to 180quid for a screen replacement if you don't have insurance.

The edge of the screen is usually a weak spot for impacts and most of these covers will safeguard against a side impact on the screen by being raised above the edge of the device.

I've smashed a screen on my old Samsung Nexus with a small drop. My One M7 has survived a good few drops. The metal edges dent a bit but so far (touch wood) they have protected the screen. ( touch wood, touch wood, touch wood....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I have the HTC double dip case for my M8 as I did for the M7. The phone took a nice drop last night and thankfully the case saved it. Cracked the corner of the case alright but it comes with spare ends so I just replaced it. I didnt think the case would be of much use as its thinner than the m7 version but its done the job this time.

Btw, is the dotview case any way protective? Im waiting for my one to be delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

Has anyone come across a really good review with hints and tips for setting up and getting maximum from the Camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

There is a feature called Zoe for the Camera but when i click on it says 'coming soon' What am i doing wrong :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

There is a feature called Zoe for the Camera but when i click on it says 'coming soon' What am i doing wrong :confused:

you are doing nothing wrong, that is for an update expected in the Summer from what I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

You already have it on both the m7 and m8. It's the short 3 second video clip mode

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

i just got mine and i cant connect it to the htc sync manager, all i want is to put music on it from youtube any good apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

seanand wrote: »
    i just got mine and i cant connect it to the htc sync manager, all i want is to put music on it from youtube any good apps?

Can you not just connect it and transfer the files across from your computer? Might need to download a driver but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

seanand wrote: »

What's to transfer? Just log into YouTube & your playlists will be there...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hi, I'm guessing many of ye have been following the release of the M8 and the other news with it, I'm wondering have any of ye come across a date of release in Ireland for the M8 mini?

If it's not out by June, I'll probably get the M8. It looks like an amazing phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭grolschmore

any one know if the meteor m8sare unlocked???

Advertisement