Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Listening to Matt Cooper yesterday, a man I thought was incapable of making the 'th' sound, only for him to go and introduce his next guest THomas :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

A scissors ?

Its a pair of bleedin scissors. Surely ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Listening to Matt Cooper yesterday, a man I thought was incapable of making the 'th' sound, only for him to go and introduce his next guest THomas :mad:

THomas, THames, THailand, etc are all perfectly good Hiberno-English.

On the other hand, I was amused recently to hear Matt straining to achieve "proper" French pronunciation when introducing his guest, the actress Marion Co-thee-yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

gizmo555 wrote: »

On the other hand, I was amused recently to hear Matt straining to achieve "proper" French pronunciation when introducing his guest, the actress Marion Co-thee-yard.

Matt also does a very impressive "Sahurday". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Hate it when inarticulate morons say thing like "We was...." or "The milkman never come yesterday..."

Also worked with an Indian guy once who either didn't know the word "ask" or was incapable of pronouncing it - It was always " I will axe him this ..... or I will axe someone that.... Really grated on my ears !.:mad:

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Drunk last night and was discussing college, exams etc with a friend and told him that if I worked as hard all year round as I do in the weeks leading up to exams, I'd be a progeny :P

At least it's better than been a bleedin' sex mechanic....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Long Gone wrote: »
    Hate it when inarticulate morons say thing like "We was...." or "The milkman never come yesterday..."

Also worked with an Indian guy once who either didn't know the word "ask" or was incapable of pronouncing it - It was always " I will axe him this ..... or I will axe someone that.... Really grated on my ears !.:mad:

Native Irish speakers have the same problem-speakers with English acquired later. They can run into trouble when looking for hard disks with greater capacity.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Native Irish speakers have the same problem-speakers with English acquired later. They can run into trouble when looking for hard disks with greater capacity.

Do you remember floppy disks ? Originally floppy disks (usually made by Verbatim) were actually floppy, about 6" in diameter. In Ireland / UK when the smaller 4" plastic encased disks came along and replaced the 6" disks we continued to call them floppy disks. In South Africa they (much more sensibly and accurately actually) called the new 4" disks "stiffie disks" or just "stiffies". When I went to work there I was a bit taken aback the first time our (really fit Africaans blonde .;)) secretary came over to my desk and asked me if I had a stiffie ! .:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

englander wrote: »
    A scissors ?

Its a pair of bleedin scissors. Surely ?

it's just so long winded to be saying 'a pair of scissors', 'a set of compasses', a pair of trousers' when there's really no need for it. You can't have a scissor or a trouser.

I completely disagree. Why not say the same about dis, dat, and dose
    it's just so long winded to be saying 'a pair of scissors', 'a set of compasses', a pair of trousers' when there's really no need for it. You can't have a scissor or a trouser.

'Pass me the scissors'. 'Pass me a scissors' just sounds wrong. Trousers would usually be used with possessive pronouns, my trousers, etc. and again 'the/these/those' would be the most appropriate definite articles to use. I don't think you can have a trousers either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Birthday in which the 'd' is silent

Silent 'd' s are unforgivable right enough. :mad:

I must admit that shortly after I moved abroad from Ireland I "sold out" and started to pronounce all my previously silent "t"s. I probably shouldn't have done, but to be honest I just got a bit fed up with people trying to extract the urine. No more turty trees for me.....:o I'm now strictly a thirty three man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Birthay? Isn't that harder to say?

Has "bockle" instead of "bottle" been done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The constant mispronunciation of place names:

Chicargo for Chicago
    Shligo for Sligo
    Cark for Cork
    Tarone for Tyrone
    New Yark for New York
    Oireland for Ireland
    Idily for Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Long Gone wrote: »
    Do you remember floppy disks ? Originally floppy disks (usually made by Verbatim) were actually floppy, about 6" in diameter. In Ireland / UK when the smaller 4" plastic encased disks came along and replaced the 6" disks we continued to call them floppy disks. In South Africa they (much more sensibly and accurately actually) called the new 4" disks "stiffie disks" or just "stiffies". When I went to work there I was a bit taken aback the first time our (really fit Africaans blonde .;)) secretary came over to my desk and asked me if I had a stiffie ! .:D

My own interaction with computers predates floppy disks - I operated initially with cassette tapes! My first introduction to flopppy disks was on a machine-linked computer (ie not a PC) that utilised a 16" floppy disk! So my response to your Afrikaans blonde could have been .."no, but I have a 16" floppy"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Any time I would be talking to someone about leaving the house in the rain. I would never say "bring" anything with you, it's simply wrong. Only the Irish would do that. Just pick a language and stick to it.

That is definitely very poor grammar. And you can take that with you home to England.

Contrary to the thread title, I don't actually find this one annoying. Because it seems to be (unless you know different) confined to Waterford, I regard it more as an endearing local idiosyncrasy.

I'm talking about the way Waterford people often mangle the verb to have, e.g., "I has a blaa.", "He have two blaas."

(Blaas are another thing I like about Waterford!)

Contrary to the thread title, I don't actually find this one annoying. Because it seems to be (unless you know different) confined to Waterford, I regard more as an endearing local idiosyncrasy.

I'm talking about the way Waterford people often mangle the verb to have, e.g., "I has a blaa.", "He have two blaas."

(Blaas are another thing I like about Waterford!)

I worked in Waterford for a few months. Very nice people in general but they did go on and on about Blaas and how special and unique they are to Waterford.
    White floury bread baps. Not exciting.

LorMal wrote: »
    I worked in Waterford for a few months. Very nice people in general but they did go on and on about Blaas and how special and unique they are to Waterford.

Heresy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Didn't the Waterford Blaa get some (European?) recognition in the last year or two? Oh yes ….. PGI status (Protected Geographical Indications) as a European Protected Food Product. And oh yes ….. " YUUUUMMMMYYYYYY"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's a whole half-hour documentary on them tonight on TG4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Yous,,,,,,,,,

I absolutely detest the term "yous", its you or him/her/us - stop saying "yous"

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Yous,,,,,,,,,

I absolutely detest the term "yous", its you or him/her/us - stop saying "yous"

I'm a 'ye' man myself. I hate 'yous', rarely hear it outside Dublin though

I enjoy "yous", particularly the possessive "yizzer"!

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'm a 'ye' man myself. I hate 'yous', rarely hear it outside Dublin though

'Ye' is an abomination. I just cannot grasp why so many Irish people cannot understand that the plural of you is you. Is it that difficult?
    Grrrrr.
    And as for sangwidge, sammwidge etc...WTF???

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

He "pled" guilty. (This may actually be correct for all I know, but it drives me nuts!)

I "text" him. (As in five minutes ago, in the past.)

Heresy!

Honestly, I tried to get excited but just couldn't....(I'm Blaa impotent)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It's 'Drowned' not Drowneded!

It's BEAT not BET!!

It's "hanged" not "hung" (unless it was already dead).

• Advertisement

'Ye' is an abomination. I just cannot grasp why so many Irish people cannot understand that the plural of you is you. Is it that difficult?
    Grrrrr.
    And as for sangwidge, sammwidge etc...WTF???

Well, 'ye' is actually a legitimate Old English term, and yes I know we don't speak Old English anymore but sure we're always taking bits and pieces from others languages.

'Yous' is the abomination.

Advertisement