Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

No I am not, just sick of hearing Irish people mangle the language whenever I have to go there.

OK henry. jolly good.

Irish people, paddies... speaking English?

... It's just not cricket.

What what.

....and Irish people speaking that way are exactly what puts me and many other employers off them. It sounds lazy, uneducated and simply wrong. I have never as would never recruit anyone who would risk the image of my company by speaking in this manner. There are intelligent people in Ireland who do not speak this way, but those who do seem to be growing in number.

All Irish people use bring and take the hiberno English way unless they were raised abroad or have spent most of their adult lives abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

ezra_pound wrote: »
    All Irish people use bring and take the hiberno English way unless they were raised abroad or have spent most of their adult lives abroad.

Or been educated properly.

....and Irish people speaking that way are exactly what puts me and many other employers off them. It sounds lazy, uneducated and simply wrong. I have never as would never recruit anyone who would risk the image of my company by speaking in this manner. There are intelligent people in Ireland who do not speak this way, but those who do seem to be growing in number.

Have you ever learnt the difference between good grammar and standard grammar?

Have you ever learnt the difference between good grammar and standard grammar?

I was educated at a Grammar School.

• Advertisement

Or been educated properly.

Or WERE educated properly.

Cough cough

Or WERE educated properly.

Cough cough

How terribly remiss of me, must be the Tanqueray.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Any time I would be talking to someone about leaving the house in the rain. I would never say "bring" anything with you, it's simply wrong. Only the Irish would do that. Just pick a language and stick to it.

"Anytime I talk to someone..." no? It seems strange to use a structure that is used to refer to a past habit when asked a present simple question, but I don't need to tell you that.
    Maybe you might claim to have been using it in the Hiberno-English way to refer to a present habit, but obviously that would be bullsh*t. Just pick a language and stick to it.

I was
    educated at a Grammar School.

Well many of the greatest linguists in the world would agree that the Irish use of take and bring is grammatically correct in Ireland - as the correct use of the Irish dialect. There is no official standard of English in the world.

I went to the Irish equivalent of what would be a grammar school in the uk, by the way.

"Anytime I talk to someone..." no? It seems strange to use a structure that is used to refer to a past habit when asked a present simple question, but I don't need to tell you that.
    Maybe you might claim to have been using it in the Hiberno-English way to refer to a present habit, but obviously that would be bullsh*t. Just pick a language and stick to it.

For me it would be a past habit. I never ask anyone if they are taking their umbrella anymore. It rarely rains where I live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

No I am not, just sick of hearing Irish people mangle the language whenever I have to go there.

Perhaps I could mangle your last contribution into something intelligible:-

(I have) never heard either of those. (It) Certainly seems (to be) an Irish issue to me, (I) don't here it anywhere as much frequently anywhere else, even among the lazy speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

For me it would be a past habit. I never ask anyone if they are taking their umbrella anymore. It rarely rains where I live.

You should know them that it's considered standard to use the bare infinitive form of the verb, and not the present continuous form.
    You don't want people thinking you're regional.

Ok .

How can an entire nation of over 4 million people all be grammatically incorrect in their use of the words bring and take?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Shy Ted wrote: »
    Sit-chi-ation for situation.
    Mainly used in Norn Iron.

That reminds me of my father saying "Vigilize* this." when sharing an anecdote.

* "visualize."

LordSutch wrote: »
    Very true, as most Irish parents bring their kids to school, whereas they should take their children to school. I would also make sure they bring their lunch boxes with them.

But surely if they were using grammar school English they would take their lunch boxes to school. No?

garancafan wrote: »
    Fascinating example (thanks kleefar) - wonderful subtleties and nuances:-

To me, one parent would bring a willing and compliant kid to school but another parent may have to take a child to school.

In either case they should both bring their lunchboxes.

Again English grammar school children take their lunch boxes!

Bloody Irish! You just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Irish public school children bring theirs.;)

Irish public school children bring theirs.;)

Yes. Because ALL people who learn English in Ireland do not use bring and take the way that any English speakers in the rest of the world do.
    But this is not irritating to Irish people and it is not grammatically incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I never ask anyone if they are taking their umbrella anymore.

I never ask anyone if he/she is taking his/her umbrella anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I was educated at a Grammar School.

Did your grammar school not teach you when and when not to capitalise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Perhaps I could mangle your last contribution into something intelligible:-

(I have) never heard either of those. (It) Certainly seems (to be) an Irish issue to me, (I) don't *here* it anywhere as much frequently anywhere else, even among the lazy speakers.

*hear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

"Thigh-land intead of TIEland"

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

Oh - and "Kuala Lumpa" instead of "Kuala Lumpoor" - I think Raquel on Coronation Street went to "Kuala Lumpa". Someone actually corrected me on this one once...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭3DataModem

People who don't pronounce the T in Moët.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The name ‘Moët’ is Dutch in origin, and this is why the pronunciation does not follow French rules.

I'm so embarassed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭3DataModem

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm so embarassed :D

And even if it followed French rules, you'd pronounce the "T" because Moet is a contraction of Moet & Chandon, so the "T" is followed by a vowel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

3DataModem wrote: »
    And even if it followed French rules, you'd pronounce the "T" because Moet is a contraction of Moet & Chandon, so the "T" is followed by a vowel.

only if you're actually saying the et, I would think, and there is an exception for names

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I had a teacher who said YERSTURDAY as yesterday.
    Drove me insane for five long years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Back in the day, I knew someone who was trying to impress a girl, offered to take her to
    the Carlington cinema

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Drunk last night and was discussing college, exams etc with a friend and told him that if I worked as hard all year round as I do in the weeks leading up to exams, I'd be a progeny :P

Advertisement