Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mike_ie wrote: »
    ahhh, but if you put the phrase in quotes, i.e. "should of",it tricks the query into searching for the phrase, not the words. You'll be done well before minute with that helpful tip :p

That is indeed very helpful and just in time to qualify for the "something new" which I have learned today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

mike_ie wrote: »
    I've turned my hand to a few jobs over the years, and while living overseas I spent a few years teaching English as a means to fund my travels, working alongside teachers from all over the world. I can only assume that it's a product of the environment, but the more time I spent teaching there, the more irritated I found myself getting when other teachers would make basic English mistakes.

I appreciate that regionalisms and dialects are a natural phenomenon, but ones that particularly grate for me are:

• Irregardless.
    • On accident.
    • "pacific" for "specific", (as in "How long will it take to fix this pacific problem?").
    • Aks instead of ask (it hurts just typing it)

...or the one that drives me absolutely bat****....
    "I could care less." (I COULDN'T CARE LESS, you mean. You DON'T care. If you could care less, that means you care SOMEWHAT.)

Is it just me, or does anybody else have any mispronunciation or grammar pet hate that drives them up the wall?

remains me self to use ass many pacific words irregardless of mikes feelings
    peas note I'm doing it on accident….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

I'll read through them for you. Anything else that seriously boils your blood you want me to look out for?

You're very kind, but no not that immediately comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

That is indeed very helpful and just in time to qualify for the "something new" which I have learned today.

With this new knowledge the usefulness of Google has now quadrupled for you. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

When some-one says 'I been/seen/done' xyz....

No you didn't. You have been/you saw or have seen/you did or have done.

Sorry, it just really drives me mad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Maphisto wrote: »
    1) ect instead of etc. for et cetera

Sort of related - people who say "i.e." when they're talking. This is an abbreviation for the Latin for "that is". The point of using an abbreviation is to save time and space when writing.

In speech, though, saying "i.e." takes just as long as saying "that is" and doing it only serves to mark you out as trying too hard to display your supposed erudition.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Timistry

"In my opinion, I personally think that".... no, just NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mary Wilson on Drivetime repeatedly saying "pleecing".

Policing is a very topical subject, it's in the news a LOT these days - could she not make some effort to pronounce it properly?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of Drivetime - that Danish sponsorship ad with their "institoootional" banking and various other REALLY irritating pronunciations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I've noticed recently on Today FM that Matt Cooper has finally mastered the correct pronunciation of theatre after years of theater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Guessing it has been said already, but what is an "aminal"

I've noticed recently on Today FM that Matt Cooper has finally mastered the correct pronunciation of theatre after years of theater.

I do wish he'd go on to master the pronunciation of ”with ", which he always renders as "wit".

Guessing it has been said already, but what is an "aminal"

I don't think it has and since you asked.

An aminal or aminoacetal is a functional group or type of chemical compound that has two amine groups attached to the same carbon atom: -C(NR2)(NR2)-. (As is customary in organic chemistry, R can represent hydrogen or an alkyl group.)

The aminal and the hemiaminal groups are the cousins of hemiacetals and acetals with nitrogen replaced by oxygen. Aminals are encountered in, for instance, the Fischer indole synthesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I do wish he'd go on to master the pronunciation of ”with ", which he always renders as "wit".

Now here's your noos wit Juliet Gash . . .

'Both' is another word he really can't conquer, he also struggles wit through and true + he mixes up thought and taught, but at least he's sorted out theatre :)

I think some of it has to do with his accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I see the likes of this on Facebook everyday. Makes me cringe.

We where ment to meet at seven hun. We're are you. I could off whent to your house. Did you get de straytnors of Louise.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gabria

I can never understand the periodic appearance of "you" instead of possessive adjective "your" in all forms of written communication
    Seriously, you see it everywhere eg. bank letters "Please provide us you proof of address"
    Why?

Don't have any problem with the long-established use of "me" instead of "my" in vocal communication, though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"The thing is, is that...."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I don't think it has and since you asked.

An aminal or aminoacetal is a functional group or type of chemical compound that has two amine groups attached to the same carbon atom: -C(NR2)(NR2)-. (As is customary in organic chemistry, R can represent hydrogen or an alkyl group.)

The aminal and the hemiaminal groups are the cousins of hemiacetals and acetals with nitrogen replaced by oxygen. Aminals are encountered in, for instance, the Fischer indole synthesis.

I'm impressed pretty sure that the people I encountered using the word were not talking about this thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Like on the Savage Eye, where the Guardai are taught to say "vehickle", I think politicians are taught to say "treminjuss", some of them also learn "millon" and "billon".

MJ23 wrote: »
    I think politicians are taught to say "treminjuss", some of them also learn "millon" and "billon".

But where did Michael Noonan, a confimed "billonaire", get "two thirteen", "two fourteen", "two fifteen", etc for the years 2013, 2014, 2015, and so on? It seems to be unique to him (and uniquely irritating to me), or do you know of anyone else with this affectation?

• Advertisement

gizmo555 wrote: »
    But where did Michael Noonan, a confimed "billonaire", get "two thirteen", "two fourteen", "two fifteen", etc for the years 2013, 2014, 2015, and so on? It seems to be unique to him (and uniquely irritating to me), or do you know of anyone else with this affectation?

If you mean by "uniquely irritating to me" that you are the only one being irritated then you are wrong. Other people have expressed similar irritation on this thread.

If you mean that it is the sole thing which irritates you then you could perhaps consider yourself lucky. Some people on this thread are irritated by many different things concerning pronunciation and grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

People who talk about plugging out things. The term you're looking for is "unplug". Is "plug out" some kind of direct translation from Klingon Irish? ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Archery instead of artery.

There is an ad for health screening on TV regularly where this mistake is made! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

My other one is very unique - I even shudder typing it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I live in London, and I can’t bear the way some people here say ‘somefink’ instead of ‘something’

Also ‘innit’ makes some sense when it replaces ‘isn’t it’ (e.g. “It’s a nice day, innit?”), but some people stick the word on the end of their sentences even when it makes no sense at all (“You disrespectin’ me, innit?”)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Reading a report in a newspaper today - "A source said I seen such and such.."
    Even if the source did say 'I seen', I wish the person writing the article had written it as 'I saw'.
    Am amazed at the amount of people interviewed on tv etc, of all ages and stages who say 'I seen', and 'I done'.

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Reading a report in a newspaper today - "A source said I seen such and such.."
    Even if the source did say 'I seen', I wish the person writing the article had written it as 'I saw'.
    Am amazed at the amount of people interviewed on tv etc, of all ages and stages who say 'I seen', and 'I done'.

I am not amazed at the number of people who incorrectly use amount instead of number in the context which you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

People who pronounce specifically as pacifically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

A bugbear of mine is the misuse of the word "then" in a sentence.I'm not sure if it's just the Irish who typically misuse the word or whether it's a universal faux-pas.For example:"My car is nicer then that one."This is incorrect and should be "My car is nicer than that one."I've seen it misused so often that I was beginning to think I was wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Haven't looked through the whole thread so if this has been picked already i apologize.

Is this your Vaaaahicle no its a Vehicle.

Advertisement