Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

brooke 2 wrote: »
    People in the media - Áine Lawlor take note - who mispronounce Tuam as Tu-am!
    It is as though they think they know better than those who have lived in the area for generations!! :(

That's actually meeja..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Sit-chi-ation for situation.
    Mainly used in Norn Iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Pretty apt for the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

Hearse instead of horse ...grrr

You may close that door. Oh really!

I used to work in a pizzeria and the amount of people who couldn't pronounce hawaiian was bewildering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

People mixing up they're/their/there or our/are really does my head in. This is primary school level grammar fails, yet some uni grads can't even get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

My gripe...

People that use BRING for everything.

The very common verbs bring and take are sometimes
    troublesome for learners of English. One reason this happens
    is because bring and take have almost identical meanings
    but are used for different "directions" in English: bring
    shows movement toward the speaker, but take shows
    movement away from the speaker.

If A needs something and wants B to get it and carry it
    to him or her, A says, "Could you bring ___ to me?"
    (or "Could you bring me ___ ?").

If A has something and A wants B to get it and carry
    it to C, A says, "Could you take ___ to C?" (B then
    takes ___ from A and takes it to C.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Stop that, you'll bring this thread to a halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

ppl dat abv. evryting just to use loads of puncuation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People that think a question requires 5 question marks.

People who type walls of text without even trying to paragraph it.

Stop that, you'll bring this thread to a halt.

Just trying to take it to a different level. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

kleefarr wrote: »
    My gripe...

Very true, as most Irish parents bring their kids to school, whereas they should take their children to school. I would also make sure they bring their lunch boxes with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

LordSutch wrote: »
    Very true, as most Irish parents bring their kids to school, whereas they should take their children to school. I would also make sure they bring their lunch boxes with them.

Fascinating example (thanks kleefar) - wonderful subtleties and nuances:-

To me, one parent would bring a willing and compliant kid to school but another parent may have to take a child to school.

In either case they should both bring their lunchboxes.

Suffice to say....

Practice here... http://freerice.com/#/english-grammar

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sand678

peoplw who say do be, i do be real annoyed with that....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

sand678 wrote: »
    peoplw who say do be, i do be real annoyed with that....
    Bad spelling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sand678

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Bad spelling :D

bad typing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

kleefarr wrote: »
    My gripe...

The very common verbs bring and take are sometimes
    troublesome for learners of English. One reason this happens
    is because bring and take have almost identical meanings
    but are used for different "directions" in English: bring
    shows movement toward the speaker, but take shows
    movement away from the speaker.

If A needs something and wants B to get it and carry it
    to him or her, A says, "Could you bring ___ to me?"
    (or "Could you bring me ___ ?").

If A has something and A wants B to get it and carry
    it to C, A says, "Could you take ___ to C?" (B then
    takes ___ from A and takes it to C.)

In Ireland the use of take and bring are totally different to the use in the UK. In Ireland this is correct grammar.

Edit: as far as I know this has already been dealt with earlier in this thread. If not it has been dealt with elsewhere.

I presume you are not Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

ezra_pound wrote: »
    In Ireland the use of take and bring are totally different to the use in the UK. In Ireland this is correct grammar.

Bullshït, it's just laziness or stupidity. "Hiberno-English is the usual excuse..." It is completely incorrect, along with the likes of "does be" and when people are "allowed do" something rather than "allowed to do".

Bullshït, it's just laziness or stupidity. "Hiberno-English is the usual excuse..." It is completely incorrect, along with the likes of "does be" and when people are "allowed do" something rather than "allowed to do".

Bring and take: Irish use of these words differs from that of British English because it follows the Gaelic grammar for beir and tóg. English usage is determined by direction; person determines Irish usage. So, in English, one takes "from here to there", and brings it "to here from there". In Irish, a person takes only when accepting a transfer of possession of the object from someone else – and a person brings at all other times, irrespective of direction (to or from).

Don't forget to bring your umbrella with you when you leave.
    (To a child) Hold my hand: I don't want someone to take you.

How often do you say take an umbrella with you?

Bring and take: Irish use of these words differs from that of British English because it follows the Gaelic grammar for beir and tóg. English usage is determined by direction; person determines Irish usage. So, in English, one takes "from here to there", and brings it "to here from there". In Irish, a person takes only when accepting a transfer of possession of the object from someone else – and a person brings at all other times, irrespective of direction (to or from).

Don't forget to bring your umbrella with you when you leave.
    (To a child) Hold my hand: I don't want someone to take you.

That does not in any way make it a correct use of English. If you want to speak Irish, speak bloody Irish. Otherwise please speak English in a way that at least does not make you sound incapable of structuring a sentence.

Oh, and remember the word "to" exists!!!!

• Advertisement

How often do you say take an umbrella with you?

Any time I would be talking to someone about leaving the house in the rain. I would never say "bring" anything with you, it's simply wrong. Only the Irish would do that. Just pick a language and stick to it.

Do you take your packed lunch to school to get good grammatical instruction?

No because you're Irish so you bring your lunch to school.

Any time I would be talking to someone about leaving the house in the rain. I would never say "bring" anything with you, it's simply wrong. Only the Irish would do that. Just pick a language and stick to it.

Are you Irish?

That does not in any way make it a correct use of English. If you want to speak Irish, speak bloody Irish. Otherwise please speak English in a way that at least does not make you sound incapable of structuring a sentence.

Oh, and remember the word "to" exists!!!!

I didn't write that.

Are you Irish?

No I am not, just sick of hearing Irish people mangle the language whenever I have to go there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dropping prepositions is a lazy thing, not an Irish thing
    "I went to school Monday" is one that drives me up the wall, as well as "what happened it"

I didn't write that.

I know, it was a general comment.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Dropping prepositions is a lazy thing, not an Irish thing
    "I went to school Monday" is one that drives me up the wall, as well as "what happened it"

Never heard either of those. Certainly seems an Irish issue to me, don't hear it anywhere near as much anywhere else, even among the lazy speakers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

They drop them a fair bit in the USA

• Advertisement

Do you take your packed lunch to school to get good grammatical instruction?

No because you're Irish so you bring your lunch to school.

....and Irish people speaking that way are exactly what puts me and many other employers off them. It sounds lazy, uneducated and simply wrong. I have never as would never recruit anyone who would risk the image of my company by speaking in this manner. There are intelligent people in Ireland who do not speak this way, but those who do seem to be growing in number.

Advertisement