Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's a tad more complicated than just using an before vowels: http://grammartips.homestead.com/historical.html and I'm happy to go with an hotel as I read somewhere tonight that it's considered to be more refined. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I say hotel, not 'otel, so for me it's "a hotel"
    The h in hour is silent and a homophone with our, so an hour is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's a tad more complicated than just using an before vowels: http://grammartips.homestead.com/historical.html and I'm happy to go with an hotel as I read somewhere tonight that it's considered to be more refined. :D

The An before a vowel rule does not always apply either.

A one legged man
    A universal problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

The An before a vowel rule does not always apply either.

A one legged man
    A universal problem

The 'an' comes before a vowel sound eg. the silent 'h' in 'hour'.

'One' has a 'w' sound rather than that of a vowel, hence 'a one'.
    'Universal' has a 'y' sound rather than that of a vowel, hence 'a univeral'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Quite and quiet.

It is quite difficult to have a quiet conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

megadodge wrote: »
    The 'an' comes before a vowel sound eg. the silent 'h' in 'hour'.

'One' has a 'w' sound rather than that of a vowel, hence 'a one'.
    'Universal' has a 'y' sound rather than that of a vowel, hence 'a univeral'.

That explains it pretty well actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The English generally (always?) pronounce 'h' as 'aitch', so 'a' wouldn't sound right. I Hiberno-English we tend to use a hard 'h', pronounced 'haitch', so 'an' wouldn't sound right.

It's one of the few things in written English that can give you a clue as to how the author speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭trashcan

Trashcan does not agree. For him/her one must never say or write An before any word not beginning with a vowel.

How do you know I don't agree:cool: As a matter of fact I would say "an hour" as I pronounce hour as "our" I don't however say "otel", do you ?

Actually megadodge has explained it better than I was trying to. I agree "an" hundred;) per cent with him. It's the vowel "sound" that makes the difference.

trashcan wrote: »
    How do you know I don't agree:cool: As a matter of fact I would say "an hour" as I pronounce hour as "our" I don't however say "otel", do you ?

Actually megadodge has explained it better than I was trying to. I agree "an" hundred;) per cent with him. It's the vowel "sound" that makes the difference.

I do sometimes say an otel in speech and lots of other people do. It just sounds natural to me to say something like: It was an hotel I always wanted to stay in.

Other times I might say something like: A hotel like that one is too expensive. I don't think it matters as long as people know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

People saying "Aksk", its pronounced "Ask"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

looksee wrote: »
    Quite and quiet.

It is quite difficult to have a quiet conversation.

Quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Modren for modern. My new pet hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Safe-eh-tee for safety. Maybe it is correct, i don't know, but it's fcukin annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Pat Custard

I should of went to work today but I couldn't of being bothered. I done other things today instead of going their. Theyre were loads of people out in the sun today. I seen a film in the cinema today.

Watching Vincent Browne, some woman keeps saying 'is is that', for example 'what the Labour party is going to do is is that they're going to....'
    Jaysus...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I was talking to a fella lately who insured his van with Setanta insurance through a broker, he said that he demanded that the broker should reimburst him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

'Got my lip did'.

Someone talking about their new lip piercing. DID? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

'Got my lip did'.

I agree with that. We all know the only thing you can get did is your hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

dee_mc wrote: »
    Safe-eh-tee for safety. Maybe it is correct, i don't know, but it's fcukin annoying.
    Either fcukin' or fcuking.

garancafan wrote: »
    Either fcukin' or fcuking.

:( I stand corrected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

An ould fella around here was talking to me today and was commenting on how "Mink" Flanagan will get on in Europe.

An ould fella around here was talking to me today and was commenting on how "Mink" Flanagan will get on in Europe.

Well done for spotting that. My poor ears would struggle to hear the difference. Did he say he was heading to Crow Park on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well done for spotting that. My poor ears would struggle to hear the difference. Did he say he was heading to Crow Park on Sunday?

No, I must ask him tomorrow and see what he says. Believe me you would hear him, he is deaf so talks very loud to make up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

'Got my lip did'.

haha yeah ffs it's DUD not DID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

seen

As in "I seen today"

I see(n) it everywhere.

The you're/your stuff I can live with because it sounds the same, but seen just grates on the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

you either speak correctly or not, the choice is yours.
    Exactly, I have always chose to speak correctly in using this and not been some pretentious oaf. Whatever about the UK or US, it is wrong and sounds stupid when an Irish person says it. Thank God it's only ever been on the media I have heard it (which by the way I do my best to avoid these days).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Alun wrote: »
    It's the same in the Motors forum ... cars seem to have 'breaks', and tyres (or worse still, tires :eek:) have 'threads' over there.
    The breaks / brakes one annoys me no end, too. It's another case of homophones (words that sound the same) being mistaken. These mistakes happen less often when you understand the meanings of the words, not just repeat the sounds. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Still has to be inability (or unwillingness) to properly pronounce "ion" in a word. Simpletons that should be fuucking dragged out and shot.

A woman the other day told me she is from "Ballybunin" - so she LIVES in a place that has "ion" in it and can't be bothered to pronounce it right :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

'Pitcher' for picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

People in the media - Áine Lawlor take note - who mispronounce Tuam as Tu-am!
    It is as though they think they know better than those who have lived in the area for generations!! :(

Advertisement