Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

p38 wrote: »
    Haven't looked through the whole thread so if this has been picked already i apologize.

Is this your Vaaaahicle no its a Vehicle.

I need audio to make any sense of that. Is your pronunciation either of the standard forms here, or something different which you can explain by phonetics?

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=vehicle&submit=Submit

And yes it has been mentioned before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I am not amazed at the number of people who incorrectly use amount instead of number in the context which you did.

I used to be conceited but now I'm perceft ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

We have a girl in work who misspells in emails a fair bit. Calls people "yous" on the phone as well. Cringeworthy. Anyway, the boss made the decision to enforce spellchecker on EVERYONES email. I can spell quite well thank you. I send quite a few emails a day - pain in the hole to spell check each one and it does feel like I'm being treated like a child. In silent protest I am adding everything to dictionary that my spellchecker picks up, you know the blurb and code in some emails, plus any genuine mistakes. (Always correct them before sending out of course). Im hoping by the end of the year to have rendered my PC's dictionary worthless. We also have a director that uses U instead of you, pls instead of please, thks instead of thanks. In company wide emails. It's very irritating and I'm a bit embarrassed for him.

Texting and IM I abandon all such notions, it's just a quick communication to convey a message or information - I often text phonetically. Where r u. C u 2nite. Etc. don't bat an eyelid. Bothers me not a jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

To throw some more into the pot:-

school to rhyme with cruel
    nuptial to rhyme with contractual
    nuclear to rhyme with avuncular
    whore to rhyme with sewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Apologies if this was already posted but many people think that the word "presently" means "at present". It doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

garancafan wrote: »
    nuptial to rhyme with contractual

nuptractual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'm Looking for some advise?
    Ya sure i can advice you...

ratmouse wrote: »
    Apologies if this was already posted but many people think that the word "presently" means "at present". It doesn't.

Did you look it up before you decided that? If you had you would have found that it is not so black and white. In fact the original meaning was Now and the currently more accepeted meaning Soon is a later development. That is just another example of how the language is constantly changing.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/presently

usage: The meaning “now” of presently dates back to the 15th century; it is currently in standard use in all varieties of speech and writing. The sense “soon” arose gradually during the 16th century. Strangely, it is the older sense “now” that usage guides sometimes object to. The two senses are rarely if ever confused. presently meaning “now” is most often used with the present tense (The professor is presently on sabbatical leave) and presently meaning “soon” often with the future tense (The supervisor will be back presently).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Did you look it up before you decided that? If you had you would have found that it is not so black and white. In fact the original meaning was Now and the currently more accepeted meaning Soon is a later development. That is just another example of how the language is constantly changing.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/presently

usage: The meaning “now” of presently dates back to the 15th century; it is currently in standard use in all varieties of speech and writing. The sense “soon” arose gradually during the 16th century. Strangely, it is the older sense “now” that usage guides sometimes object to. The two senses are rarely if ever confused. presently meaning “now” is most often used with the present tense (The professor is presently on sabbatical leave) and presently meaning “soon” often with the future tense (The supervisor will be back presently).

I stand corrected so!

Maybe I will have better luck with the following - I know a couple of people who insert the letter H into the word after changing the spelling to "afther".
    Apologies in advance if this too is correct and is an acceptable spelling of said word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

No misspelling or poor use of grammar annoys me. Try hard use of the English language does though.

Such as people using the word 'Moreover..' in an online discussion.

Fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

ye have little to be worried about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    ye have little to be worried about

Moreover, too much much bloody time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mopey

those that cant quite seem to be able to differentiate between the different sounds of the letter, a.

not sure if ignorance or very good troll

ratmouse wrote: »
    ... I know a couple of people who insert the letter H into the word after changing the spelling to "afther".
    Apologies in advance if this too is correct and is an acceptable spelling of said word!
    Whatever about that, I insist upon butther on my baked potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

an historic day

an whatever...

The use of an when it just sounds completely wrong.

This crap the media are throwing at us is fúcking stupid. We don't speak like that you false wánkstain. We live in Ireland and our accent is somewhat different to that of our UK brothers and sisters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Whatever about that, I insist upon butther on my baked potato.

Ireland in with a chance for the Thriple Crown. It hurts my ears.

And when people are thaught something in school....Jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

podaydo

This makes the baby jeebers cry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

WHY do some people say 'pundints'
    instead of 'pundits'??

Could not believe my ears when I heard Miriam O'Callaghan at it today!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

British people seem unable to say 'at all'...it comes out as 'at tall'...watch out for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Jay D wrote: »
    an historic day

an whatever...

The use of an when it just sounds completely wrong.

This crap the media are throwing at us is fúcking stupid. We don't speak like that you false wánkstain. We live in Ireland and our accent is somewhat different to that of our UK brothers and sisters :)

An is correct as in an hotel or an auction - you either speak correctly or not, the choice is yours.

• Advertisement

British people seem unable to say 'at all'...it comes out as 'at tall'...watch out for it :)
    They can't pronounce "film" either. They always seem to say "film" instead of "fillum".

Jay D wrote: »
    ..This crap the media are throwing at us is fúcking stupid. We don't speak like that you false wánkstain.
    Mispronunciation/poor grammar are infinitely preferable to profanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Mispronunciation/poor grammar are infinitely preferable to profanity.

You can fúck off with that notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

There / Their / They're --- drives me up the wall it does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

An is correct as in an hotel or an auction - you either speak correctly or not, the choice is yours.

If by 'choice', you mean whether one is speaking British English, or American English. Americans drop the 'h' in the non-stressed first syllable of a word. British English does no such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭trashcan

An is used rather than a when the following word begins with a vowel. An auction, therefore, is correct, as would be an owl, an idiot, an umbrella, etc, etc. Hotel does not start with a vowel, therefore it is not correct. As you say, you can speak correctly, or not ;)

trashcan wrote: »
    An is used rather than a when the following word begins with a vowel. An auction, therefore, is correct, as would be an owl, an idiot, an umbrella, etc, etc. Hotel does not start with a vowel, therefore it is not correct. As you say, you can speak correctly, or not ;)

Do people ever speak correctly? I heard an MP on Her Majesty's BBC say gonna instead of going to. And I regularly hear people saying 'cos instead of because. The meaning they are trying to convey is clear and that is what matters in speech. Why would it bother you if someone said "I will see you in half an hour" instead of "I will see you in half a hour"? I think you will find that the use of An before certain words beginning with H is regarded as acceptable anyway by a lot of people. You lay down binding laws about language usage at your peril, it is ever changing.

BTW am I wrong to write an MP, should it be a MP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Do people ever speak correctly? I heard an MP on Her Majesty's BBC say gonna instead of going to. And I regularly hear people saying 'cos instead of because. The meaning they are trying to convey is clear and that is what matters in speech. Why would it bother you if someone said "I will see you in half an hour" instead of "I will see you in half a hour"? I think you will find that the use of An before certain words beginning with H is regarded as acceptable anyway by a lot of people. You lay down binding laws about language usage at your peril, it is ever changing.

BTW am I wrong to write an MP, should it be a MP?
    'An' before 'hour' is correct, the 'h' is silent so it has a vowel sound.

'An' before 'hour' is correct, the 'h' is silent so it has a vowel sound.

Trashcan does not agree. For him/her one must never say or write An before any word not beginning with a vowel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Trashcan does not agree. For him/her one must never say or write An before any word not beginning with a vowel.
    Apologies, I should have quoted them.

Advertisement