Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 brides!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Faith what were your concerns with the make up? After my 2 trials I started reading make up blogs and literally devoted entire days almost to cruising around make up counters educating myself. You could probably change a lot without having to change MUAs if u find products or looks that workfor u, u can ask her to use them. I wasn't happy with the lips or (smudged) mascara from my 2nd MUA. I found products that worked on my lips & she used them plus I asked her on tje day can I do my own mascara. Prob solved!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Faith what were your concerns with the make up? After my 2 trials I started reading make up blogs and literally devoted entire days almost to cruising around make up counters educating myself. You could probably change a lot without having to change MUAs if u find products or looks that workfor u, u can ask her to use them. I wasn't happy with the lips or (smudged) mascara from my 2nd MUA. I found products that worked on my lips & she used them plus I asked her on tje day can I do my own mascara. Prob solved!

Thanks sticky! Ah, it's nothing serious. I think when I went for my trial, it was so far before my wedding that I didn't have a notion of what I wanted. But I've been looking on Pinterest for pictures and I have a better idea of what to ask for on the day now. I'll definitely spend a bit of time in Sephora! Plus we had a bit of a tense email exchange a while back and I wasn't hugely impressed with her attitude but hopefully I just caught her on a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Milly33 wrote: »
    Nothings ever off topic Minera !! Yeah congrats to you.. Do you have to get alterations done or anything or is that it... You must be so happy to have it..

Yep delighted I had another dress and i had good intentions but my efforts weren't good enough! So I went to an off the rack sale in dub and found another dress in less than an hour and i have to say I LOVE it! Much more than the other one even though both are lovely in their own way. Needs minor ajustments straps shortened and hem taken up slightly but that's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

It's a month today before our wedding and my OH has come home with treat foods from M&S and a mini bottle of bubbles for me (he doesn't like them). I feel so special. We also had a wee sing and dance to our first dance song in the sitting room while things were cooking. I am a very lucky girly :)

On the subject of MUA - I'm buying my own primer and foundation because I hated the Double Wear Light that she put on me. I'm using Laura Mercier Hydrating Cream with Radiance Primer. She also had to re-do my eye shadow 2/3 times because she didn't understand what no brown meant to me... it means no brown/beige/kinda brownish/natural looking. It was weird cos I def said I wanted grey, silvery, navy, black, purple... and showed her photos. But in the end she got it. I'll just be making sure I see every eyeshadow she puts on me on the day before it goes on so I won't get cranky.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 summer_chic

On the subject of shoes Milly - I wore a pair if irregular choice pearly girly for my wedding - got them in little woods. I was beyond uncomfortable and the first thing I did when I arrived in the hotel was get out of them ! That saidd, my dress was so long, Nobody saw them anyway ! I see they have a low heel version now, which will probably be better ! I am a huge ruby shoo fan, no idea why I didn't get a pair for my wedding !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

I now have two pairs of shoes. 8 cm wedges for ceremony and reception. And a platform block heel for after that. Hopefully the feet will hold up ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Thanks for all the shoe advice ladies..I suppose if the dress is long alright sure they wouldn't get spotted but still tis nice to have a pretty pair... I really wanted to have the dress started this weekend but im waiting on the dress maker to come back to me im like please call back... that or ill be looking for some ball gown dresses..

ruby shoes me thinks sounds like a winner with the shoes cant wait to go shopping for them now. I was hoping to maybe get a bit of a boot heel I know that sounds horrible but the wedding Victorian ones they have are loverly. I have kankels so shoes always make them look bigger..

The joys of it all... I wasn't to comfortable asking maybe about using my own stuff for the makeup but might do now thinking about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

fits wrote: »
    Is everyone buying their groom a present for the wedding? I am humming and hawing over a very nice thing.. But the expense...

Does he drink whiskey fits?

My husband (feels so weird typing that out!) loves scotch so I bought a Galway Crystal whiskey tumbler and got it engraved To Mr. tread_softly, Love Mrs. tread_softly"

When we went up to our room to catch a moment after the ceremony I gave it to him and I don't think he expected anything at all so it caught him off guard a bit!

He loved it :)

It doesn't have to be anything expensive, just a token, even a lovely letter to him would be a great gift.

Yeah finally the dress is on the way.. all worries are hopefully over met with the dress maker today so going in for a fitting as such next week, god I hope it is going to be nice it is taken a chance but fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Haha, congrats milly, no rush at all!!!!

Just a question about paying the photographer, is it the norm to pay the full amount on or before the wedding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

We are paying our photographer before the wedding.

However we know him quite well so I'm happy to have him paid in advance as its one less person to pay on the day.

IF I didn't know him I'd be reluctant to pay the full amount in advance. Can you split the payments? One before the wedding and another when you get the photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

I'm thinking of a day out racing in modello park as a present for the groom

cant wait now for the fitting to see how it is going to turn out...

I would think with payments for all things really half now or deposit and then the rest when you get the final product... Unless like that ye know him but even still...Paying up front I would be cagey about especially a photographer what if he doesn't do a good job.

Mondello would be great craic for him, would he have someone to go with him.. beware the prices can be quite high.. not sure is it there or the other one where if ye knew anyone with a high speed car you can bring that and race it as such

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Glad you've finally got a dress sorted, Milly! I was getting stressed for you!

I'm probably worrying over nothing, but I'm getting stressed that our wedding guests will be lost in the reception room. It can cater for up to 300 people, and we're only going to have about 135. I'm sure they'll skillfully arrange the tables, but I find myself praying that we won't have any more declines!

It's less than 6 weeks ago now, jaysus! Time is flying! I'm hoping to shave off another 5 lbs to be sure that my dress will fit comfortably. Is anyone choosing to go without a bra? My dress is strapless and boned, and I was told I won't need one, but I'm not sure whether I should get a fancy white strapless bra anyway, or leave it off.

I was looking at the "Bridal" section at Victoria's Secret this morning. Jesus, put the word "bridal" before an item and the price triples!! White knickers: $15. White Bridal Knickers: $45. They're the exact same product!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Yes Faith. I might be going braless, even though the thought freaks me out.
    The dress is a deepish v and I asked about getting more support added in as I'm quite booby but the sales assistants said they would be up under my chin if I did. I didn't feel like I was going to fall out, I think it's just the psychological feeling of not wearing a bra.

Milly, I am so delighted you have your dress sorted. I was panicking for you. Your so relaxed!

Just a little over 4 months to go for us now. Can't believe it! Still haven't my invitations sorted, despite having the best intentions to have them printed by now! Really need to get cracking on that!
    Started working on my mass booklet last week, was hoping to just do a double sided page with 4 columns but the booklet the parish gave me to follow is going to be too long. But at least I've picked readings and wrote the prayers of the faithful! I think I'll just finish it and see if the font is too small and go from there. But at least I'll have it all typed up.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I went without a bra - my dress was boned enough and fitted enough to support my rack without a strapless bra.

Thank you, happy and both scared as I really hope it works out now with the dress haha...

the braless thing is a little scary alright, he was asking me would I wear one and I was like yes I think I would feel naked if I didn't. Mind I do remember one dress I tried on and like that she said to take off the bra and it was laced up and well it did hold the ladies up so it did..Was well impressed..

Has anyone tried these waist slimers that are everywhere at the moment.. I have one at home but tis a little short for my body as such was thinking I might try one to see if it would do anything for me...

we found the invites so frustrating so we did..Between trying to get the right, who to invite all that goes... Hope you get them sorted, but sure you do have 4 months to go...

I must try and get the menu's done, the 45 games rules (much harder than you think to write down), I wasn't going to do the ceremony side must see we might do something... Then tis decoration time oh the joys..

And my mum I must say I am very very surprised at her now, I get where she is coming from as I am the last as such to get married and the really the first big family wedding but she is being a bit childish with her friends invites... must nip it in the bud this week. lover her to bits but tisnt a case of that we wont pay for an extra friend we don't have room for her so that's it...

I wasn't the only one stressed out about Milly's dress then :D

In the home straight here now. Feel like there is stuff I should be doing but I dont know what!

haha sure I knew twud get sorted out in the end.. Wait till ye hear tis being made out of bedsheets.. ill post a picture after the big day hopefully it will be nice..

Have you checked off you list Fits! It must feel a bit kinda well what to do now I am sure it is all done

Have you checked off you list Fits! It must feel a bit kinda well what to do now I am sure it is all done

Its definitely not all done, but theres not a lot to do either really. Programs, menus, table plans. I think thats it.

• Advertisement

Sure you can work on those ones.... Table plan sounds fun :) I hope they aren't as much of a nightmare people say they are..

Not too sure what we are doing yet but me thinks we are going to have a bit of a mishmash. I don't want people to be stuck in groups and not talk to others so might mix it up a bit...

Ours wasn't too bad, we were lucky that there were a lot of natural groupings of 8-10 in our guest list though! We didn't really do a mishmash, but everyone got around and chatted and mingled anyway. Twas great :)

good to hear some positives about them thanks Kirby... We were hoping to have some event before the wedding so the two side to the extended family as such would meet but unfortunetly not so I want everyone to get to know each other. love seeing people getting along so fingers crossed they will

If you have people getting there 1-2 nights before the wedding it's a lovely time for a close family and friends dinner - we had dinner for 25 in a restaurant in Limerick on the Friday evening before the wedding and it was lovely.

amor3 wrote: »
    Haha, congrats milly, no rush at all!!!!

Just a question about paying the photographer, is it the norm to pay the full amount on or before the wedding?

Yes I had to pay 1/3 deposit and the remainder 1 month before the wedding. I was a bit nervous about it but they were recommended to me first day by a friend of mine who is also a wedding photographer so I knew they were kosher

Faith wrote: »

I'm probably worrying over nothing, but I'm getting stressed that our wedding guests will be lost in the reception room. It can cater for up to 300 people, and we're only going to have about 135.

Is anyone choosing to go without a bra?

Could the venue divide the room up to make it smaller - you know some venues have these white room dividers that they pull across to make it smaller?

Yep went braless here as well. There was drama over the bra for weeks before - you could see it under the lace basically. I ordered a ''lower back converter' online and got a strapless bra that might work but in the end when I went for my final fitting I said I'd try braless and sure there was no need for a bra at all so I took the plunge. I'd be a B/C cup though so I don't need much support. One thing I did do was I bought those chicken fillet things in BTs (Debenhams might also have them) and I put them in on the day to make sure ít looked full enough. At my sister's wedding she went braless and by time wedding day arrived she had lost so much weight that the bust of her dress looked kinda empty if you know what I mean, like it was collasping in at parts. I didn't want that so I put the chicken fillets into the dress

Faith Debenhams or BTs have all sort of bra solutions for want of a better word in their lingerie dept

www.debenhams.com/lingerie/bras/bra-accessories

good to hear some positives about them thanks Kirby... We were hoping to have some event before the wedding so the two side to the extended family as such would meet but unfortunetly not so I want everyone to get to know each other. love seeing people getting along so fingers crossed they will

We had a buffet dinner and drinks the night before the wedding (for the people staying in the venue which has 22 rooms) the groom's friends and uncles decided it would be a good night for his stag as he never had one so he came to bed around 5am I think. These night before things can backfire! :eek:

This is my fear as well!

• Advertisement

haha sounds mad Sticky but fun.. Well actually thinking now a few of well the girls have meet already and with the stag. Tis more the family... We have to set up the day before the wedding so unfortunately we can not do dinner then... And we have the day after so im sure till be fine, a lot of them are talkers so we should be ok... We have lot so things to do so maybe as well this will get people to come out of their shell..

The pesky bras, I have been putting off shopping for normal ones not to mind one to go with the outfit I can feel the pain already... I love those chicken fillets although I don't think I could wear them as I would more than likely end up playing with it or something haha...

Advertisement