Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Amoureux

That just seems like a bizarre comment for the sjop assistant to make. Once they order the dress it takes a certain length of time for the supplier to deliver it, the amount of a deposit you pay is completely irrelevant. It sound to me like she was just looking for some sort of excuse and decided to go down the route of shifting blame on to you. Hope you get sorted soon ANON, this is not the kind of stress you need in the run up to your big day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

How much of a deposit have you paid ANON? Just to reassure you - I bought off the shelf and there are loads of dresses available off-the-shelf so worst comes to worst you can demand your deposit back and get another dress. You can take them to the small claims court if any issue. Breathe!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ANON0108

Neyite, my mam has the receipt with the dress code. It's Mori Lee, I can't remember the code but will get it later. I know there are a lot of Mori Lee stockists in Ireland - thanks so much for your help.

stickybookmark - we've paid €300. That's the amount we were asked for. I know I can get another dress if this falls through but I really have my heart set on that dress. I love it. I may be left with no other option but to buy an off-the-shelf dress but it does make me angry that I would have to do this when I've ordered a dress so far in advance. Finding another dress that I love and getting it altered 5 weeks before my wedding is the kind of stress I could do without!

Thanks again for all your reassurances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

So second makeup trial done and much happier with it although it was still a bit OMG it is so different to what I normally wear.. I got the airbrush makeup done, just wondering has anyone got this done before it looked loverly a bit porie but I noticed that it kinda left around the eye area soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Milly33 wrote: »
    So second makeup trial done and much happier with it although it was still a bit OMG it is so different to what I normally wear.. I got the airbrush makeup done, just wondering has anyone got this done before it looked loverly a bit porie but I noticed that it kinda left around the eye area soon enough.

I get it done for shows that im in, I LOVE it. It stays put for hours and hours and it always stays matt with no shine on your face.

• Advertisement

Hi emzolita thank you.. Shows!! are you an actress then? Great to know I was a little worried as it kind of come off underneath just one eye, but she was trying different eye shadows taken off and putting them on again so maybe this had something to do with it...

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hi emzolita thank you.. Shows!! are you an actress then? Great to know I was a little worried as it kind of come off underneath just one eye, but she was trying different eye shadows taken off and putting them on again so maybe this had something to do with it...

No, a singer lol.Nothing too fancy, lol.
    I've had the MU Forever airbrushed makeup done, but maybe different brands have different effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I've only read great reviews about the airbrushed make up.
    Unless your used to wearing a full face of make up everyday I think it's always going to seem a bit OTT.

I'm trying to think of an excuse to go for another trial! I have a few looks I want to try out.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Got my dress today! Sorry I know it's off current topic but I'm just so delighted I can't sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Amoureux

Congratulations Minera 😊 That's a big deal!!

• Advertisement

Nothings ever off topic Minera !! Yeah congrats to you.. Do you have to get alterations done or anything or is that it... You must be so happy to have it..

I was only thinking this morning, she does mac aswell I was like uhhh I might ask her to try that one me too, is it very heavy..

Thought the airbrush was yummie and feels like heaven going on, youd nearly take a nap just worried about it lasting if the eye area kinda went in a few hours...

I always thought I wore plenty of makeup now not overly heavy but enough, I use concealer on the nasty spots if they come up, foundation and then a no. 7 concealer over it.. Bit of powder and eyeshadow.. It just feels weird indeed but even himself liked it and said sure tis good to do something different..

Congrats Minera, so exciting!!

Sorry to hijack the conversation again, just wanted to give an update on my situation. My mam rang the shop again yesterday and spoke to the manager. She basically told my mam she couldn't understand what all the fuss was about and we are completely overreacting. She said the dress would be in the shop in two weeks time. My mam got really angry then and told her it wasn't good enough. The manager kept saying we were being ridiculous and this was totally normal and my mam said I don't think it's normal for the dress to arrive in the shop 3.5 weeks before the wedding but according to her it is. What's so frustrating is that it's a different story every time we ring. My mam told her this just wasn't good enough so she called her back a while later and said it would definitely be in next Wednesday. I'm taking a half day from work to go in and collect it. I have someone else lined up for the alterations. If the dress is not there next Wednesday I will be spending the rest of the afternoon looking for another dress. The dress is Mori Lee 5166.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

My dress was instore eight months before the wedding, I collected it seven months before. Of my last two friends who got married one dress was in 6 weeks before but they took an age with alterations and had her wedding date wrong so she collected the finished dress 3 days before wedding. The other friends dress was in 8 weeks before, collected 6 weeks before. So I think that is very much not normal.

Hi ANON0108 well at least there is a bit of progress with it.. Fair play to your mum for standing her crowd and again shame on the shop they should like they are being awfull to ye really. So surprised from a wedding shop to do this, they know how stressful it is for people.. I take a scan there over a few places to see if the dress comes up anywhere

It's not acceptable and you are dead right to put the pressure on ANON.

Milly - everyone says Mac are the best for eye make up, (and lipstick) it seems to be the general consensus. I did a fair bit of research into it after my first MUA trial which didn't go well (I had a reaction to the Mac foundation). For my 2nd MUA trial (the one I ended up going with) she used Estee Lauder double wear which is another very popular one for lasting. She still used Mac eyemake up and Mac lipstick (I supplied the lipstick myself as I had to do a few trials before I found a lip pencil that didn't bleed into the fine lines around my top lip) tried Clarins and Inglot before I found a winning combo with Mac lip primer, Ruby red lip pencil (not the long wear one just normal one) and Mac matte ruby woo lipstick. I'd ask your MUA to use Mac eye products instead, they will definitely last.

Oh God yis have me worried now. I'm so laid back with certain things it's a joke.
    Should I have my dress and all by now if the wedding is in 10 weeks?

Hi emzolita, sorry didn't mean to worry you. When did you order the dress? It might be no harm to ring the shop and ask when it'll be in. From people I've spoken to the dresses tend to arrive about 6-8 weeks before so you should be fine. It's just the fact the shop have been fobbing me off every time i ring and give me a different arrival date every time that has me worried. Also their attitude.

Don't worry I'm sure all is fine with yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Im really laid back about the wedding but one thing I needed to have sorted early was the dress. Its a good year as there are lots of white dresses in the shops but I would get on the case pretty quick!

edit, sorry just realised you have it ordered but not arrived yet. Yeah still a good bit of time but no harm to make a phone call. My dress arrived early April for July wedding. And I have it at home now.

Im with you emzolita at least you have it ordered haha im still looking at material no panic haha

haha I bought the second dress I tried on after being in the shop about 20 mins. I have no shoes yet, no bridesmaid shoes, and no interest in shopping for them. ... However, my decor, music, favours and extras all have endless hours of preparation put into them.

• Advertisement

Is everyone buying their groom a present for the wedding? I am humming and hawing over a very nice thing.. But the expense... My bridesmaid bought me a super elegant and expensive silk robe too, as well as putting on an amazing hen party and I really need to do something nice for her as well, but she is super difficult to buy for.

fits wrote: »
    Is everyone buying their groom a present for the wedding? I am humming and hawing over a very nice thing.. But the expense... My bridesmaid bought me a super elegant and expensive silk robe too, as well as putting on an amazing hen party and I really need to do something nice for her as well, but she is super difficult to buy for.

I wouldn't think it's absolutly necessary but I ended up buying something nice for myself to wear on honeymoon which was around 200, that was his present.

He bought me Newbridge necklace and earrings but only coz I told him a few weeks before the wedding that the groom is supposed to buy the bride a present!

I got bridesmaid a rose gold necklace and nice toiletries. Spent about 100. Rose gold is lovely and kind of a new-ish fad so it's a nice one they mightn't have any rose gold pieces already

Yeah I had a piece of silver jewellery picked out and then realised she doesnt wear silver. Rose gold might indeed be nice. The thing I am looking at for him is almost 400 quid. But it wouldnt lose value hopefully.

I have something for him or well for us.. cant say what it is cus he might see it here. Just something funny really but funky plan to unveil it on the day.. Was asking him the other night was he getting me something he was like mmm. Told him I would love to get my wagen compounded and have a price in all for it he could get that done for me as she really needs it, would be quite happy with that now I must say. or a case of my wine..

So the Mac is a bit debatable, it is so popular then it is strange that your reacted but then again it just depends on your skin. I know I cant use a lot of face creams... Ill see not too sure now think I might give it a go and see which I prefer..

Did ye pay for makeup trials or hair trials, I just saw it on the 2016 brides that it seems to be the norm. I haven't paid for any!

Still have to get the bridesmaids to pick there dresses, we have two runners now one is nice and summery and the other is too but navy and white so im like mmmm. Will have to get their shoes and bits and all my own.. oh the joys..

Seriuosly considering getting white docs for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I paid €50 for my make-up trial, and €35 for my hair. Any of the make up artists I talked to, that was the norm.

I'm getting my groom a pressie but not spending a fortune on it. We put a €50 limit on our gifts to one another but it'd be nice to open something as we wait to see each other on the morning.

1 month today!

yeah 50 for hair trial and 50 for make up trial here. Although the MUA I fired charged me nothing for the make up trial ...she must have been p!ssed off when I cancelled the wedding booking!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Re: Wedding dresses, mine was a sample but I was advised to start getting alterations done 2-3 months before the wedding, so it's definitely not normal to only get the dress in to the shop 3 weeks in advance! That being said, due to being abroad, I'm getting my alterations done 8 days before the wedding (:eek:) but that's a rush order. I wouldn't be letting them get away with anything, Anon. They're totally messing you around.

I don't think we're going to get each other gifts. Emigrating decimated our savings and we have spent every spare penny on the wedding so I can't imagine we'll have the funds. Maybe something super small, around the €50 mark.

I'm getting my bridesmaids sterling silver necklaces with elements that represent the day as a gift. I got them on etsy and they cost about €30 apiece. They are also keeping their versatile dresses and shoes, and we're paying for everything for them including their rooms, so I don't see a need to get them anything more expensive. It is just supposed to be a token to say 'Thank you', I feel, so I'm happy with keeping it simple and meaningful.

My hair trial cost €50 and my makeup was €70 if I remember correctly? Kind of regretting my MUA for a variety of reasons now, but it's too late to change my mind!

Jes we must be very good in cork, so with the trials haven't been asked once...

Just looking at shoes on line now... Ruby shoes anyone have any experience and are Irregular choice worth it for comfort... I have never tried them. Was looking at ankle boots for myself would love the lace up ones or something like that but looks like they are €200 odd not sure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Irregular Choice are great, but the heels are deceptively high and the shoes tend to run a little large, in my experience. It's fine if it's a pair your foot is encased in or strapped into, but slip on styles can be a bit of a pain.

• Advertisement

Thanks Faith..

looking at them I was thinking the heel in most are nice and neat and not too high (except for the ones with a panda heel they are funny)... Need to try them on so for definate

So hard to find an nice cozy pair that are also pretty.. I remember getting a pair of Susst ones in Shoe, the staff were unbelievable un-helpfull in there..

I had a Susst pair and a Ruby shoe pair explained to the lady I wanted them for a wedding and was stuck on which ones to buy, so I said id buy them both and bring back whichever I didn't wear.. Wore the Susst ones and they were so so painfull, took the others back in two days after and the same girl was like ohh I know they hurt really bad you should have kept these ones.. I was just like mmmm you could have saved us both a lot of time

Advertisement