Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

sinead88 wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on this makeup-less selfie trend on facebook, supposedly to raise awareness for cancer? Personally, I think it's totally redundant. It has nothing to do with cancer whatsoever, and does nothing to help those affected by it. If anything, it's slightly offensive as it almost equates going through cancer with your facebook friends just seeing you without makeup on. Also, everyone is really quite aware of cancer already so a donation would be much more beneficial. It just seems like narcissistic fishing for likes and validation to me. I'm genuinely surprised that it's caught on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/10710519/No-make-up-selfie-trend-helps-cancer-research-charity-raise-1million-in-24-hours.html

Now eat your words !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

So it actually made loads of money. Bit of the attack of the jealousies on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Candie wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I like makeup and slap it on when I'm going out for the night or if I feel like it and have time.

I just don't understand how we arrived at a time where girls think it's actually brave to show their real unretouched face to the world.

Maybe the answer is in the likes of some of the cruel assessments of make up-free-faces by some people in this thread - like make up is normal, natural faces the outliers.
    Kinda torn again. I don't bother wearing make-up most of the time, but it unquestionably makes me look better. I don't think I'm a hideous ghoul without make-up, but if I'm posing for a picture, I'd prefer to have a bit of paint on. Only eye make-up - I don't even wear foundation or lipstick - but I still feel more confident with that bit of eye make-up, because I know I look my best.

I don't agree most women look better without make-up. I think most women look absolutely grand without make-up, but not "better" without it. And when I say make-up, again, I'm only talking about a light covering of it. Anyone would look worse with the clown-paint look.

But if you've great eyes, a bit of well applied eye make-up brings them out more, ditto lip-liner if you've great lips, etc.

Obviously though, the comments from people here about women on their Facebook feed being "yokes" and "munters" (FFS - and apparently they're their "friends" :rolleyes:) without their make-up are just socially inept to say the least.

And women who have to have a full face of make-up on to look out the window... that's indicative of seriously poor self-esteem, but I don't think that's the same as just not wanting to be completely bare-faced for photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

I can see the flaws. The only way I've gotten involved in it on Facebook is by taking the piss, but it is raising money and creating awareness of checking your bits. If I don't agree with a method, I still kinda cancel my disagreement out if it works.

What foundation do you use? I find tinted moisturiser great.

I don't know what tinted moisturiser is but i use normal moisturiser, it always gets stuck in my beard though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Kinda torn again. I don't bother wearing make-up most of the time, but it unquestionably makes me look better. I don't think I'm a hideous ghoul without make-up, but if I'm posing for a picture, I'd prefer to have a bit of paint on. Only eye make-up - I don't even wear foundation or lipstick - but I still feel more confident with that bit of eye make-up, because I know I look my best.

I don't agree most women look better without make-up. I think most women look absolutely grand without make-up, but not "better" without it. And when I say make-up, again, I'm only talking about a light covering of it. Anyone would look worse with the clown-paint look.

But if you've great eyes, a bit of well applied eye make-up brings them out more, ditto lip-liner if you've great lips, etc.

Make up improves my appearance and I too would prefer to have some on if my picture was been taken but I rarely wear it.

I'm just too lazy. I'd only wear it if I was going to out to dinner or into town to meet someone or something like that. I think I've worn make up twice this year in total......but I'm not going to deny the fact that I look better with some slap on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

This thread has gone full circle, people now attacking those folk who attacked the original selfie takers.

It's simple:

1. Hashtag no makeup selfie starts off, to "raise" awareness for breast cancer
    2. Negative reaction from someone
    3. Parallel campaign to get those taking selfies to take a selfie making a donation kicks off
    4. Hashtag no makeup selfie is renewed with donations being made and suggested

Now is it a case of the means justifying the end or the end justifying the means, I feel without point 3 above the donations wouldnt have kicked off and it would have ended up like those other campaigns I mentioned before (colour of knickers etc.)

I don't think I'm a hideous ghoul without make-up, but if I'm posing for a picture, I'd prefer to have a bit of paint on.

I'm talking about the situation where a girl considers taking a photo of herself without make up to be an act of bravery. Not just what you and maguic - and me - would consider a preference, because we'd look a bit better with some slap on, but brave! That's a strange way to feel about yourself and your looks, to be that afraid of unflattering judgement.
    maguic24 wrote: »
    Make up improves my appearance and I too would prefer to have some on if my picture was been taken but I rarely wear it.

I look better with it on too and would always prefer to look my best in a photo, but when you run down the cost/benefit analysis it's not that important to me.

It's a bit sad if a girl can't run to the shops without make up on, and I'm not being sarcastic when I say sad. I mean it's genuinely tragic to be that uncomfortable with your natural face that you'll avoid showing it publicly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

razorblunt wrote: »
    This thread has gone full circle, people now attacking those folk who attacked the original selfie takers.

It's simple:

1. Hashtag no makeup selfie starts off, to "raise" awareness for breast cancer
    2. Negative reaction from someone
    3. Parallel campaign to get those taking selfies to take a selfie making a donation kicks off
    4. Hashtag no makeup selfie is renewed with donations being made and suggested

Now is it a case of the means justifying the end or the end justifying the means, I feel without point 3 above the donations wouldnt have kicked off and it would have ended up like those other campaigns I mentioned before (colour of knickers etc.)

the donations kicked off right at the start that was the point of it. Lol at the complainers now trying to claim it was thanks to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

20Cent wrote: »
    the donations kicked off right at the start that was the point of it. Lol at the complainers now trying to claim it was thanks to them.

You'll see a lot of people say different in their status'.

People didn't start donating until people started giving out saying it was a pointless exercise unless you donated.
    The trend when it was started, sure, was to raise money. It lost that along the way and became about awareness and very little donating.

The whole thing is as stupid as the "I'm wearing a red bra" type status' that were going around to 'raise awareness'
    Raise awareness by donating and telling people to donate, noone wants to see your stupid fúcking selfie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

20Cent wrote: »

When did the selfies start in Ireland?

• Advertisement

psinno wrote: »
    When did the selfies start in Ireland?

Seen them going for 3 or 4 days now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

mikom wrote: »
    Yep, but the odd shot into a sock or other receptacle can prevent certain ailments with it.

You had me at receptacle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

GenieOz wrote: »
    Seen them going for 3 or 4 days now.

Donations (in Ireland) didn't start until about noon yesterday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thought was completely pointless and a bit sad at the beginning.

That people are now donating in conjunction with selfie is great. Still sad but that it's making I don't care.

psinno wrote: »
    Donations (in Ireland) didn't start until about noon yesterday.

Funny that eh? It's almost like the selfies had very little to do with it until people started giving out stink about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

And I just got nominated...damn! I have no problem with donating to the charity, I just don't feel the need to go posting it on facebook. I'm really not enjoying the peer pressure element of this whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

If I get nominated I'll just say "no"?

Maybe it's easy for me to say that though, as I'm well past the peer pressure stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

If I get nominated I'll just say "no"?

Maybe it's easy for me to say that though, as I'm well past the peer pressure stage.

Oh I won't be posting it but I don't really approve of the pressure based nomination tactics in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I first heard about it 2 days ago and people were donating then (although it took me a little bit of time to cop on that they were accompanied by donations to cancer charities). I stuck one up (not just with no makeup - also tired and in bad lighting! :eek:) and made a donation to a cancer charity of my choice (tbf, I was donating it anyway but stuck the selfie up because the more people see it the more people will do it). At first, before I realised that people were donating, I was like "wtf? How does that help cancer?" but then I noticed the donation bit and rowed back. As for how no makeup is connected with cancer...? It's tenuous but I guess a couple of connections would be that when you're sick you don't put on makeup; or makeup puts on a "mask" to the world but underneath it we're all human and alike and all vulnerable - no amount of masks will hide or change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Using peoples vanity to help out charities is a very efficient method of raising money/awareness. Most of the guys I know who do Movember every year are the more image obsessed, validation craving types. The end justifies the means in these instances, even if these people do it for selfish reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Standman wrote: »
    Using peoples vanity to help out charities is a very efficient method of raising money/awareness. Most of the guys I know who do Movember every year are the more image obsessed, validation craving types. The end justifies the means in these instances, even if these people do it for selfish reasons.

Good point. "Useful idiots", aren't they? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

an awful lot of my female friends now claiming they don't wear make-up.
    Lies I say...Lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Now there's Cock In A Sock so men can donate too. The elastic on my football socks is gone so I guess I'm out.

Now there's Cock In A Sock so men can donate too. The elastic on my football socks is gone so I guess I'm out.

You'd need elastic to keep it on? Small chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

GenieOz wrote: »
    You'd need elastic to keep it on? Small chap.

Sorry horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

sinead88 wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on this makeup-less selfie trend on facebook, supposedly to raise awareness for cancer? Personally, I think it's totally redundant. It has nothing to do with cancer whatsoever, and does nothing to help those affected by it. If anything, it's slightly offensive as it almost equates going through cancer with your facebook friends just seeing you without makeup on. Also, everyone is really quite aware of cancer already so a donation would be much more beneficial. It just seems like narcissistic fishing for likes and validation to me. I'm genuinely surprised that it's caught on.

Well it must have done some good. Qtr Million raised for the Irish Cancer Society, 1 Million raised if you include the UK Cancer Charities.

You could also asked what does growing a mustache have to do with cancer, or someone running a marathon, shaving or dying your hair. As long as they raise a bit of money, or get people talking about it, does it really mater what people do to achieve that objective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Well it must have done some good. Qtr Million raised for the Irish Cancer Society, 1 Million raised if you include the UK Cancer Charities.

You could also asked what does growing a mustache have to do with cancer, or someone running a marathon, shaving or dying your hair. As long as they raise a bit of money, or get people talking about it, does it really mater what people do to achieve that objective.

Or chugging. What does being a nuisance matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭user2012

On my facebook feed earlier to a friend who threw up a pick:
    A: omg Hun u look unreal x
    B: stunning x
    C. Gorge, absolutely gorge ;) xxxx
    Friend: Awwwww thanks guys x sunbed does wonders xxx

Sun bed??? WTF???? Oh I'll donate for breast cancer while I get skin cancer from sun bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Muise... wrote: »
    Or chugging. What does being a nuisance matter?

Chuggers are just trying to do job, regardless of how annoying they can be, I find a polite no thank you, and shaking of my head or hand suffices.

I have had no issue with my female friends putting up their pictures over the last 24 hours, nor have I had issue with my friends or family doing anything the same or similar to the activities I mentioned for a good cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Am I the only one kinda turned on by the "just out of bed/shower" look that many of the girls are striking in their photos?

Advertisement