Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't think they look rough I just think they underestimate the effects of make up of skin.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

ash23 wrote: »
    Also just to add, I don't understand why Movember gets such support on AH (men raising money by altering their appearance and posting pictures of it) and this doesn't when it's essentially the same thing.

Double standard much? Men do it and it's "all a bit of craic for a good cause". Women do it and it's slated. (again this is on the basis that most of the selfies are accompanied by donations).

My thoughts exactly.. it's a bit of fun and it's raising awareness and money.. I don't see why people are getting such an attitude over it..

I did it yesterday.. found it quite liberating actually :D I'm off to burn my bra today.. who's with me :pac:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

All the girls who are doing it on my news feed are all really good looking with amazing skin, completely defeats the purpose. In fairness, a couple of them said in the post they sent a donation off and asked others to do so.

But a lot are fishing for compliments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Mink wrote: »
    All the girls who are doing it on my news feed are all really good looking with amazing skin, completely defeats the purpose. In fairness, a couple of them said in the post they sent a donation off and asked others to do so.

But a lot are fishing for compliments

What is the purpose of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

xzanti wrote: »
    I'm off to burn my bra today.. who's with me :pac:
    :D

Away with you, you're getting no support from me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Cancer research UK have confirmed that due to people participating and donating yesterday in the no make up selfies they raised over 1 million pounds yesterday alone, so anybody who says its a stupid thing to do is pretty stupid themselves! The funds speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

some people wont do it because they are secret gingers and dont want people to see their freckles. one girl i know on facebook posted this disgusting rant at the women getting involved giving out saying some of the same things posted here.

but the real reason was she was hiding freckles.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Rhotheta

lukesmom wrote: »
    Cancer research UK have confirmed that due to people participating and donating yesterday in the no make up selfies they raised over 1 million pounds yesterday alone, so anybody who says its a stupid thing to do is pretty stupid themselves! The funds speak for themselves.

Saying it's stupid is actually clever as it gives the cause more publicity and thus more donations. People are making sure to donate and post the screenshot of donation as a result of being ridiculed.

Most of the people on my friends list who have done it (a good of few of them male) haven't put up pics at all, they just put up the screenshot of the donation that they've made. The one girl who did put up a selfie (who happens to be stunning looking anyway, even without makeup) also put up a donation screenshot. So mostly what I'm seeing is people donating to charity, which can only be a good thing. Who cares if a few women are like-fishing, the fact that it is raising funds for these charities can only be a good thing imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

lukesmom wrote: »

Ya it's money to a great cause. People are all to eager to be cynical though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

steddyeddy wrote: »
    On the make up issue I think a lot of women look better. A lot more natural beauty comes out with out the make up.

The pictures on my facebook feed call bulls**t on that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Rhotheta wrote: »
    Saying it's stupid is actually clever as it gives the cause more publicity and thus more donations. People are making sure to donate and post the screenshot of donation as a result of being ridiculed.

This. I think it's a combination of people posting selfies and people questioning their motives that has resulted in monies being raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭richardbradley

Firstly 99% of women are beautiful without make up - give me some natural light and a proper camera and I promise a nice photo - the problem with most people here is an arms length selfie, on a camera phone and in bad light would make anyone look rough!

Secondly how can you whinge about people on your feed - you have chosen to have them on your feed? Why did u accept their request in the first place?

Thirdly as already said - it's raised some cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/ThreeTrending/no-makeup-selfie-trend-raises-200k-for-irish-cancer-society-in-24-hours-30110895.html

seems like it's doing the job
    Thousands of women around the country shared a selfie of themselves wearing no makeup on Facebook and Twitter in support of the fundraising efforts.

Even men got in on the craze - by posting selfies of themselves wearing makeup.

The Irish Cancer society has seen one of its biggest ever surges in donations in the last 24 hours - with provisional figures indicating around €200,000 has been raised in the last 24 hours alone.

maguic24 wrote: »
    Away with you, you're getting no support from me. :pac:

Haaww :pac:

One of the girls on my friend list isn't too happy.

'2 all of u bitchin bout us takin selfies u av NO idea how much courage it takes 2 take a pic wit no make up on, dats a v scary ting 4 girls to do n wer raisin money for cancer research wit dis. Wat r U doin to help? '

Somebody replies "I sent in a text to donate 4 euro, did you?"

Reply: "eh no y wud i? Dats not d point its bou women bein brave n takin off der face so ppl listen and help wit cancer reaearch"

What a sad world we live in when people think it takes actual bravery to take a makeup free pic of themselves.

Sadder still that women with their skin covered every time they're seen in public is the new norm - as long as it's with makeup.

Covered in burqua = Unnacceptable.
    Covered in makeup = As it should be.
    Bare faced = A profile in courage/ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

While the idea is silly and has no relevance to breast cancer, it's making people donate to charity, people who never would of thought of it before. So let them off, cancer research needs the money no matter where it comes from.

At least the sock on a cock selfie for prostate cancer shows the area in question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 murball

Its disgraceful.. Firstly its making it seem as if it is completely out of the ordinary for girls to show themselves without makeup, as if its something that should only be done in extreme circumstances. And secondly, looking through all this nonsense on my facebook feed I noticed that the majority of girls aren't even mentioning charity or donating anything. I'm all for raising money for cancer research, but this is not to way to do it. Its purely narcissism disguised as charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I can see it from both sides. The selfie is somewhat irrelevant/annoying and all that stuff, and people should be donating the money without posting pictures of themselves...but the whole thing seems to have caught on and has seen a big boost in donations to cancer charities over the last few days. Can't really have a huge problem with it if that's the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Candie wrote: »
    What a sad world we live in when people think it takes actual bravery to take a makeup free pic of themselves.

I find it very strange. Men have been doing this for decades.
    Unless everyone is wearing makeup and I missed the memo.

javagal wrote: »
    At least the sock on a cock selfie for prostate cancer shows the area in question!!

Prostate is up the bumbum actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

javagal wrote: »
    While the idea is silly and has no relevance to breast cancer, it's making people donate to charity, people who never would of thought of it before. So let them off, cancer research needs the money no matter where it comes from.

xzanti wrote: »
    Prostate is up your bumbum actually.

Yep, but the odd shot into a sock or other receptacle can prevent certain ailments with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Even though I think the whole selfie thing is absolutely ridiculous and of absolutely no relevance whatsoever to cancer awareness (plus I dislike the fact that it is apparently seen as brave to post a picture of oneself without any makeup on, amongst other issues I have with it), I can't argue with the fact that it has clearly led to people donating, and that is great. So yeah, I definitely have conflicting opinions over the whole thing (yesterday I was seriously opposed to it) and will not be doing it myself (I was nominated yesterday)I suppose it is actually working. Wish people would stop now, though. Really think everyone who is going to see it/donate has done so by now. My newsfeed is clogged up with all of the selfies!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭aoife524

Seriously all this crap about ugly girls posting pics of themselves what difference does it make to ye? Simple way to fix it if you're not happy is unfriend them.. There are more important things than giving out about them!

The idea has raised a serious amount of awareness and has encouraged people to donate.. €200,000 raised in the last 24 hours mostly due to this.. It's better than the whole neknomination and certainly more productive. . Quit giving out its quite unproductive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Wish people would stop now, though. Really think everyone who is going to see it/donate has done so by now. My newsfeed is clogged up with all of the selfies!

There are still plenty of donations coming in. I'm sure it will continue for another 24 hours anyway.

murball wrote: »
    Its disgraceful.. Firstly its making it seem as if it is completely out of the ordinary for girls to show themselves without makeup, as if its something that should only be done in extreme circumstances.

Don't get me wrong, I like makeup and slap it on when I'm going out for the night or if I feel like it and have time.

I just don't understand how we arrived at a time where girls think it's actually brave to show their real unretouched face to the world.

Maybe the answer is in the likes of some of the cruel assessments of make up-free-faces by some people in this thread - like make up is normal, natural faces the outliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Can a man do this "no make-up selfie" thing or is it just exclusively for women?

If not, I call sexism...down with the matriarchal society!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I think it says it all that the selfies themselves have been talked about and highlighted more than the fact that you can donate 4 euro by text to cancer research. I have not seen one poster of said selfies give out the number in their actions, but at the same time "like" any comments about their makeup-less beauty by their friends.

Whats the Irish Cancer Society text number and I'll donate right now

Advertisement