Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

GenieOz wrote: »
    Majority of them didn't appear to be until people started giving out about them, now they seem to be accompanied by a screenshot of a donation.

I'm waiting for the "for every like this selfie gets FB and Microsoft will donate one euro to cancer charities" copy paste to spread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How well run is the Irish cancer society does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

The GF decided against it as she would feel like a hypocrite for bitching about them and then doing it,and couldn't afford the donation so it would be pointless sh*t.

Dodged that bullet.

Edit: She did check herself though, so there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

A hell of a lot of judgemental folk on AH. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

It really is unbelievable that 5 pages after someone posted a link to a cancer research site saying they had a surge in donations since the start of this campaign, people are still moaning about it and saying it doesn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

One of the girls on my friend list isn't too happy.

'2 all of u bitchin bout us takin selfies u av NO idea how much courage it takes 2 take a pic wit no make up on, dats a v scary ting 4 girls to do n wer raisin money for cancer research wit dis. Wat r U doin to help? '

Somebody replies "I sent in a text to donate 4 euro, did you?"

Reply: "eh no y wud i? Dats not d point its bou women bein brave n takin off der face so ppl listen and help wit cancer reaearch"

*facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Rhotheta

frimpong wrote: »
    It really is unbelievable that 5 pages after someone posted a link to a cancer research site saying they had a surge in donations since the start of this campaign, people are still moaning about it and saying it doesn't help.

Without the moaning there wouldn't be as many donations. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

I'm a strong independent women and I don't need no makeup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

frimpong wrote: »

While also slagging off the girls' appearance which just confirms why it has actually become a big deal for some girls to post no make up pictures online. They're doing it for a good cause- whether its due to naivety or vanity or anything else- and it has had a positive effect, and yet people still feel justified in passing judgement on their appearance and berating them for doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Tasden wrote: »
    While also slagging off the girls' appearance which just confirms why it has actually become a big deal for some girls to post no make up pictures online. They're doing it for a good cause- whether its due to naivety or vanity or anything else- and it has had a positive effect, and yet people still feel justified in passing judgement on their appearance and berating them for doing it.

Have to agree with you about slagging off their appearance. Pretty much every girl on my friend list who posted a selfie looks lovely with no make up. Slagging someone for not wearing make up is ridiculous.

If only more than one of them had actually made a donation as well as the selfie, too.

• Advertisement

Tasden wrote: »

Only a few people have commented negatively about their physical appearance. Which have rightly been called out on their BS. Others have commented positively.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

The girlfriend did this thing on Facebook, she said it was charity and I was like... Right. :rolleyes:

The girlfriend did this thing on Facebook, she said it was charity and I was like... Right. :L

May god have mercy on your soul.

Let's be honest, most people doing this care more about likes and fishing for compliments than cancer research, that's what p1sses people off even if it does raise money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

May god have mercy on your soul.

Ah thanks! Haha
    I thought it was gas looking through my timeline and all I see is... No MakeUp Selfie #Brave #PuttinOnABraveFace, Doing this fer cancer #raisinawarenes, the amount of them with their hash tags.
    I donated €4 which I think is enough! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Facebook will probably donate €1.00 for every selfie posted as soon as they get enough likes to pay for that baby with the spare leg growing out it's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

People on this would rot your hole sometimes. The ones that are slating Facebook users for posting selfies for likes are fishing for likes here themselves. Imo any way of raising money for such a worthy cause is great so well done to the ladies on this. Looks like a good lot of money being raised

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

People on this would rot your hole sometimes. The ones that are slating Facebook users for posting selfies for likes are fishing for likes here themselves. Imo any way of raising money for such a worthy cause is great so well done to the ladies on this. Looks like a good lot of money being raised

Exactly, not everyone has a hidden agenda. What I think is more amazing is the fact that so much work & effort is put into fundraising days & events which takes months of planning whereas this is just a random idea on a random day that has potentially brought cancer charities in thousands of €€ just by the power of social media.

Exactly, not everyone has a hidden agenda. What I think is more amazing is the fact that so much work & effort is put into fundraising days & events which takes months of planning whereas this is just a random idea on a random day that has potentially brought cancer charities in thousands of €€ just by the power of social media.

Which will be pumped into analysing "cancer genes" which is yielding little results, all assumptions about cancer need to be reviewed. That's what needs "awareness".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Exactly... such a simple idea and look how its growing. Fair play whoever thought it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Rhotheta wrote: »
    To be honest cancer research is one of the last charities I would donate to as your money could be donated somewhere that actually makes a significant difference. Right now the money is going towards "understanding" cancer without the actual results to validate this so called understanding. Perhaps the obsession with cancer genes is the wrong way forward.

Have to agree a little with this. Sending money to cancer research is good, but don't forget to help the charaties that support families dealing with Cancer.

We lost a family member last year to cancer and the work that the hospice and the Irish Cancer Society did can not be praised enough.

Never mind this selfie stuff, most people are not sending a donation anyway. If you want to do something good for cancer buy a daffodil on daffodil day 28 March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

If you like this picture 10,000 times our Spam site will donate 1,000,000 euro for a brain transplant for an ostrich.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wprathead wrote: »
    Fully agree sinead, seems like "FB Like Whoreing" at its worst

Who isn't "aware" of Cancer ffs?
    Livestrong , Lance Armstrong's charity, raised hundreds of millions and spent most of it promoting cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Oh well between my friends and I we raised (so far) €785 and that's not including pals in the UK who are also donating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I must just have sound women as Facebook friends. The few that have done it are lovely women who are the furthest thing from vain you can think of. Their selfies are not using any snazzy lighting or filters.

I really can't get worked up about this at all but there's one guy on my news feed who's written 4 bloody status updates complaining about it. This is a load of patronising bollocks if you ask me:
    Girls taking "No make-up selfies" to raise awareness for cancer... how the **** did we arrive at that!? How about putting your phone down, taking your head out of your arsehole and raising some money for charity. Complete and utter sewage.
    If only Malala Yousafzai had taken a non-make-up selfie instead of risking her life, getting shot in the head by the Taliban, surviving and telling the world her story...
    In the interests of clarity; if you're raising money for charity, nice one. If you're "raising awareness" for something that absolutely everybody knows about then take a deep breath, read about something challenging, politically important and/or not well-known and shout it loud. Without a photo of yourself. Good night and I love you all.

And he's getting very thick with everyone who challenges him. He accuses OTHERS of attention seeking? He has back and forth lovey dovey conversations with his new girlfriend on his profile as well. Interesting that people use Facebook this way accuse others of vanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Charity must not only be done; it must be seen to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

WikiHow wrote: »
    Women can hardly go to bed without make up not to mind doing a selfie without it.

I rarely wear make up...tis too expensive to be wearing all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I like that there's lots of donating going on, but the level of narcissism going on is disturbing and a slap in the face to anyone going through treatment.

The 1st anniversary of my mate passing away from cervical cancer was this week. I know damn well what she'd be saying if she could see these tools on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

As far as I see, making an effort no matter how small to raise awareness of a serious thing like cancer which at the very least will make some people more inclined to donate to cancer charities or be aware of how many people are affected by it = Not an absolute waste of time.

Pissing and whinging on the internet about what other people do with their own time on another part of the internet because you dont like it or think it doesnt make a difference = Absolute waste of time.

About time these facebook threads were banned from AH for good too. <---- Me raising awareness of an issue and striving for change = Not an absolute waste of time, so keep your irony.

But threads like these ones are, inadvertently, raising awareness...simply by giving out about selfies they are raising awareness about cancer......

Posters have even put up the number you can text to donate to a cancer charity....if that's not raising awareness...what is???

Why ban them? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I like that there's lots of donating going on, but the level of narcissism going on is disturbing and a slap in the face to anyone going through treatment.

The 1st anniversary of my mate passing away from cervical cancer was this week. I know damn well what she'd be saying if she could see these tools on facebook.

Well my mother is fighting breast cancer at this very moment and thinks any exposure spreading awareness about cancer is a good thing!

Advertisement