Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options
  • 19-03-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

What are people's opinions on this makeup-less selfie trend on facebook, supposedly to raise awareness for cancer? Personally, I think it's totally redundant. It has nothing to do with cancer whatsoever, and does nothing to help those affected by it. If anything, it's slightly offensive as it almost equates going through cancer with your facebook friends just seeing you without makeup on. Also, everyone is really quite aware of cancer already so a donation would be much more beneficial. It just seems like narcissistic fishing for likes and validation to me. I'm genuinely surprised that it's caught on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You lost me at Facebook...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

What's a selfie? Is this a nudey thing, Father?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Women can hardly go to bed without make up not to mind doing a selfie without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Everyone knows what cancer is at this stage. Post money, not pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

WikiHow wrote: »
    Women can hardly go to bed without make up not to mind doing a selfie without it.

Not true, but you probably already know that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Fully agree sinead, seems like "FB Like Whoreing" at its worst

Who isn't "aware" of Cancer ffs?

WikiHow wrote: »

Not all women wear make up daily.

Me for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

sinead88 wrote: »
    supposedly to raise awareness for cancer?

Could it reveal some potentially cancerous growths on the unmade-up skin? If so, I'm in favour. If not, it's a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Rhotheta

Maybe they should focus on raising awareness at how little effective progress has been made through cancer research in the last 50 years.

It's certainly a better use of your time than "raising awareness" for something which everyone is already aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Could it reveal some potentially cancerous growths on the unmade-up skin? If so, I'm in favour. If not, it's a bit strange.

Well then send a picture to your doctor, not facebook

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    What's a selfie? Is this a nudey thing, Father?

It was a wank back in my day...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It makes me sad that some people think it's a big deal to post a photo of themselves without make up. I don't like that people are so self-conscious that showing their faces without make up is a big deal to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Half of them FB girls are still putting some kind of make up on. It's nothing to do with cancer, all they want is there usual comment "Ur stunning hun, even without makeup, fancy a cocktail later"!

Like my post and free the world of all this evil!

Fock off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Candie wrote: »
    Not all women wear make up daily.

Me for example.

Ah here, you are not telling me that Tweety Pie Yellow #07 is a natural shade, get t'fuck...

Rhotheta wrote: »
    Maybe they should focus on raising awareness at how little effective progress has been made through cancer research in the last 50 years.

I'd say you're an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Ive posted a self check guide and a text number to donate....these makeup less selfies are as redunant as posting your bra colour etc.

Senna wrote: »
    Well then send a picture to your doctor, not facebook

I would, but she hasn't responded to my recent ones.

They were a bit raunchy, I admit.

MadsL wrote: »
    Ah here, you are not telling me that Tweety Pie Yellow #07 is a natural shade, get t'fuck...

When you look like Tweety Pie you don't need make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I never wear makeup in my selfies.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I never wear makeup in my selfies.:)
    U look gorgeous hun xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

What's worse is the fact that people are obscuring their faces by mucking around with the colour and stuff so it makes f**k all difference. Almost as bad as constant Emoji posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Rhotheta wrote: »
    Maybe they should focus on raising awareness at how little effective progress has been made through cancer research in the last 50 years..

David Icke has done exposes on this. The cure for cancer already exists. The pharmaceutical companies are suppressing it because they want people ill, not well, as people being ill is how they make their money. An Italian doctor called Doctor Simonici has been curing cancer with bicarbonate of soda. People should read David Icke's books or at least his website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

An Italian doctor called Doctor Simonici has been curing cancer with bicarbonate of soda. .

He would give Macgyver a run for his money.

David Icke has done exposes on this. The cure for cancer already exists. The pharmaceutical companies are suppressing it because they want people ill, not well, as people being ill is how they make their money. An Italian doctor called Doctor Simonici has been curing cancer with bicarbonate of soda. People should read David Icke's books or at least his website.

Dear god. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ahaha.

Yep. When I want advice on how to identify the lizard people, I'll be sure to look him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Who cares? The people in this thread moaning about it are as bad as those posting the selfies in the first place. If you don't want to see them just click "hide this post" and move on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I think it says it all that the selfies themselves have been talked about and highlighted more than the fact that you can donate 4 euro by text to cancer research. I have not seen one poster of said selfies give out the number in their actions, but at the same time "like" any comments about their makeup-less beauty by their friends.

Anyone who is tempted to believe the above, could have a look at this as well, before parting with any money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Who cares? The people in this thread moaning about it are as bad as those posting the selfies in the first place. If you don't want to see them just click "hide this post" and move on with your life.
    Why did you bother to post in this thread? You could have easily clicked out of it and moved on with your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

sinead88 wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on this makeup-less selfie trend on facebook, supposedly to raise awareness for cancer?

As if people with cancer were not sick enough already........

Advertisement