Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Anyone I've seen on facebook doing it has also included a screenshot of the donation they've made to the Irish Cancer Society or similar.

Can only be a good thing in my opinion. No donation though and I can't see the point.

Also just to add, I don't understand why Movember gets such support on AH (men raising money by altering their appearance and posting pictures of it) and this doesn't when it's essentially the same thing.

Double standard much? Men do it and it's "all a bit of craic for a good cause". Women do it and it's slated. (again this is on the basis that most of the selfies are accompanied by donations).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I've seen one person do the selfie with a picture of their monetary donation beside it. That seemed good, why not get others to do it.

Then 4 more with no donation and a load of "oh ur gorgeus hon, jelly xoxo" type crap after it.

It's the usual "Like if you hate cancer" yet again.

Re: Movember. Yeah same rubbish unless backed up with donations.

Whatever the campaign is if it's just a social network "Cancer is bad" thing it's a total waste. If it raises money then DO IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Rhotheta

ash23 wrote: »
    Also just to add, I don't understand why Movember gets such support on AH (men raising money by altering their appearance and posting pictures of it) and this doesn't when it's essentially the same thing.

Double standard much? Men do it and it's "all a bit of craic for a good cause". Women do it and it's slated. (again this is on the basis that most of the selfies are accompanied by donations).

People tend to find validation seeking to be obnoxious. When men post pictures of themselves with a beard they aren't doing it to be told how handsome they are imo. There clearly are many women who are fishing for compliments.

Rhotheta wrote: »
    People tend to find validation seeking to be obnoxious. When men post pictures of themselves with a beard they aren't doing it to be told how handsome they are imo. There clearly are many women who are fishing for compliments.

I haven't really found that among the ones I've seen to be honest. Generally it's normal women looking...normal. Nobody posting telling them how gorgeous they are. Maybe I'm just friends with some very down to earth people.

I would say that the Movember thing isn't about how handsome they are but many would do it for validation to show how much "fun" they are.

Same goes for the "shave or die" thing. Or any sort of sporting fundraiser - it's all just a different type of validation. Ultimately fundraising makes people feel good and they like to be told how great they are for doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

People doing Movember ask and link to their donation page throughout the month. It's a month-long thing that a person does, not just post up a picture and that's their bit done for cancer.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    People doing Movember ask and link to their donation page throughout the month. It's a month-long thing that a person does, not just post up a picture and that's their bit done for cancer.

If the woman is making her donation of €4 to the cause and tagging her friends and getting them to do the same, then what harm? Why the total negativity around it?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think it's fantastic it's being done with an attached donation, the last few days of just selfies was ridiculous though. They may as well have just typed "boobies" and it would have raised the same awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Watching some of you practically trip over yourselves to insult the character of some of these girls for "like fishing" so you can get thanks is both ironic and embarrassing.

I really cannot fathom how something like this annoys people.The bottom line is that girls take pictures, and as a direct result cancer research gets additional funding. What's the problem?

There's no need to single out particular girls on your friends list as useless human beings and somehow conclude anything other than you being a bit thick for not realizing that in the general scheme of things this is actually a positive contribution to society for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Advertisement

Watching some of you practically trip over yourselves to insult the character of some of these girls for "like fishing" so you can get thanks is both ironic and embarrassing.

I really cannot fathom how something like this annoys people.The bottom line is that girls take pictures, and as a direct result cancer research gets additional funding. What's the problem?

There's no need to single out particular girls on your friends list as useless human beings and somehow conclude anything other than you being a bit thick for not realizing that in the general scheme of things this is actually a positive contribution to society for a change.

But there wasn't any direct result in the first instance, it was a 'let's do X to raise awareness for Y' with no tangible benefit. I would think that is where that is where the "fishing" accusations came from, same as the 'I'm going to live in Florida for 13 months or I used my boobs to get out of a speeding ticket".
    I don't think anyone could justify attacking a selfie following a donation, the more do that the merrier I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Tbh i didnt know how to donate until I seen all this on Fb and I got nominated so I posted one and nominated and have also said if any of the men in my life decide to put on make-up and stick up a picture Ill donate for each one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Shouldn't it be a no bra selfie it it's for raising breast cancer awareness?

Anyone who does Movember is a tosser. And it's not seen as "just a bit of craic" by everyone. By last year the victim industry was already complaining about how it was male-centric and therefore sexist, that it was racist (you can have a look yourself, don't want to ruin the joke), that is was cis-centric and all this other stuff about how since it was white men doing it it was therefore bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Anyone I've seen on facebook doing it has also included a screenshot of the donation they've made to the Irish Cancer Society or similar.

Can only be a good thing in my opinion. No donation though and I can't see the point.

I've seen at least half of the one in my newsfeed with no link/screenshot of donations accompanying it. I have no issue with the fun raising aspect of it, but a huge portion of the posts are stupid young wans who just want to be told what "stunners" they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

At least the selfies will cover the CEO's salary of €145,000.

Only 36,250 * €4 donations required.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

I would also like to add If people are really sympathetic towards cancer sufferers why don't you make a small donation to one of the hospices which care for cancer sufferers and others.

I mean It took some muppet posting selfies to get people to donate why not donate before this for a good cause? no publicity or fake mirage that people will think "aw what a great person you are for donating and posting a selfie without make up so hard hun"

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Rhotheta

Before the complaints I didn't see any actually donating. The complaints worked.

I would also like to add If people are really sympathetic towards cancer sufferers why don't you make a small donation to one of the hospices which care for cancer sufferers and others.

I mean It took some muppet posting selfies to get people to donate why not donate before this for a good cause? no publicity or fake mirage that people will think "aw what a great person you are for donating and posting a selfie without make up so hard hun"

Good point I know Marymount in Cork is an incredible place, the staff up there are just fantastic and don't get near enough credit.

• Advertisement

One of the girls on my friend list isn't too happy.

'2 all of u bitchin bout us takin selfies u av NO idea how much courage it takes 2 take a pic wit no make up on, dats a v scary ting 4 girls to do n wer raisin money for cancer research wit dis. Wat r U doin to help? '

Somebody replies "I sent in a text to donate 4 euro, did you?"

Reply: "eh no y wud i? Dats not d point its bou women bein brave n takin off der face so ppl listen and help wit cancer reaearch"

*facepalm*

In fairness, not all women are complete fúcking retards.

stankratz wrote: »
    In fairness, not all women are complete fúcking retards.

I keep hearing that :pac:

Anyone who does Movember is a tosser. And it's not seen as "just a bit of craic" by everyone. By last year the victim industry was already complaining about how it was male-centric and therefore sexist, that it was racist (you can have a look yourself, don't want to ruin the joke), that is was cis-centric and all this other stuff about how since it was white men doing it it was therefore bad.

Oh man don't get me started on that, Breast Cancer Awareness has a 5k Charity run in the UK, their advert has male voices and male actors, yet the race is open to women only. Couldn't believe it.
    There's a Movember style run in Edinburgh later this year they had out fake moustaches and beards to any runner, hope it gathers in popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Isn't this exactly like movember but that doesn't get half the flack or donations.

As long as the charity is making money I don't think it matters the motivation behind the donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In fairness some people defiantly posted up pictures for vanity reasons. My mate's girlfriend is the most selfish person you could meet. She posted up a pic of herself with the usual "You're beautiful babes xoxoxo lyk if you cried ect" and later edited it with donation details after the complaints started.

Edit: She's posted three selfies!! Who is she kidding thinking she's helping beat cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

steddyeddy wrote: »
    In fairness some people defiantly posted up pictures for vanity reasons. My mate's girlfriend is the most selfish person you could meet. She posted up a pic of herself with the usual "You're beautiful babes xoxoxo lyk if you cried ect" and later edited it with donation details after the complaints started.

Edit: She's posted three selfies!! Who is she kidding thinking she's helping beat cancer.

And have you donated?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    And have you donated?

No I work on it sometimes during the PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

David Icke has done exposes on this. The cure for cancer already exists. The pharmaceutical companies are suppressing it because they want people ill, not well, as people being ill is how they make their money. An Italian doctor called Doctor Simonici has been curing cancer with bicarbonate of soda. People should read David Icke's books or at least his website.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I can see the flaws. The only way I've gotten involved in it on Facebook is by taking the piss, but it is raising money and creating awareness of checking your bits. If I don't agree with a method, I still kinda cancel my disagreement out if it works.
    orangesoda wrote: »
    I never go on facebook but i logged on to see what the deal was, some frightening looking yocks, the war paint works wonders
    What foundation do you use? I find tinted moisturiser great.
    Rhotheta wrote: »
    Let's be honest, most people doing this care more about likes and fishing for compliments than cancer research, that's what p1sses people off even if it does raise money.
    Let's be honest... that was already posted numerous times before you posted it.

• Advertisement

On the make up issue I think a lot of women look better. A lot more natural beauty comes out with out the make up.

Advertisement