Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Good to see things are returning to normal.

:pac: Ah, the joys of facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

efb wrote: »
    Yes the pressure to donate changed it from 'awareness' to a donation

€4 stick a picture of whatever

I think it was MEANT to be donations all along, but somewhere along the line, someone left out the donation part and that chain was continued for a while. The first I heard of it was someone nominating me to do it for "awareness" (feck off) but looking through my newsfeed, friends from other parts of the country were already doing donations at that point. That was Wednesday evening last week when it was just starting.

While there are undoubtedly bad elements to it (the notion that all women MUST wear make-up, the eejits just fishing for compliments, the people who think they're making some huge sacrifice), I don't think there's anything wrong with the campaign when people recognise it for what it is - a silly gimmick that's raised €1million here and £8million in the UK. A simple status saying "Donate to the Irish Cancer Society" would have got maybe 3 likes and been forgotten about. Putting a silly photo with it grabs attention for the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I don't mind the no-makeup-selfie thing. I mean hell, it's just a picture with no makeup and a donation...

But I liked someone's status yesterday and got this message:

So I should lie to my friends and family in aid of cancer awareness? WTF? There's also no mention of a donation.

That bothered me.

Ah, this explains several statuses I saw yesterday! Eejits.

While there are undoubtedly bad elements to it (the notion that all women MUST wear make-up, the eejits just fishing for compliments, the people who think they're making some huge sacrifice), I don't think there's anything wrong with the campaign when people recognise it for what it is - a silly gimmick that's raised €1million here and £8million in the UK. A simple status saying "Donate to the Irish Cancer Society" would have got maybe 3 likes and been forgotten about. Putting a silly photo with it grabs attention for the cause.

This is true. My 15yr old was exclaiming about how he's now seen what his female mates really look like, and how different it was. We had a discussion about it that boiled down to the fact that it's raised lots of money for the Irish Cancer Society, has started discussions about self-esteem issues (and the "safety in numbers" way that young women have felt able to do a no-makeup exposure), and has made donating to charity into a talking point. Can't be a bad thing.

All the spin-offs? My fella put it simply: People like doing silly things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I have to say, most of them looked great without a ton of makeup on.
    It can really make some people look very prematurely old.

As a bloke, makeup's not really something I have much experience of, but I guess it must be a bit of a 'mask' for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I was nominated there yesterday and just made a donation without the photo (but put a photo of the donation and the link to donate up). I didn't want to do it in the end simply because of all the controversy over it and I can see the two sides that people have given and felt it wasn't worth it for me personally and didn't really want to be part of t. I have to say, I did feel a bit of pressure and presumed that people would think I'm vain for not doing it (I have zero problem with myself without make up btw and only wear some mascara day-to-day and don't really care what kinds of photos are posted me on Facebook) and felt like I had to give an explanation (just gave the excuse that people wouldn't want to see my mug on their news feeds as I didn't want to create a hoo-ha over it and offend anyone). I felt stuck between a rock and a hard place and I didn't like that tbh.

A friend of mine got nominated for the cock in the sock thing. Luckily, he keeps poultry. Cue photo of his large and angry looking cock(-adoodledoo) in a santa sock (only one big enough apparently) with "Take that, cancer!". Credit where it's due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yeah, the male 'dare' is a little more extreme at the moment!!!

I was nominated there yesterday and just made a donation without the photo (but put a photo of the donation and the link to donate up). I didn't want to do it in the end simply because of all the controversy over it and I can see the two sides that people have given and felt it wasn't worth it for me personally and didn't really want to be part of t. I have to say, I did feel a bit of pressure and presumed that people would think I'm vain for not doing it (I have zero problem with myself without make up btw and only wear some mascara day-to-day and don't really care what kinds of photos are posted me on Facebook) and felt like I had to give an explanation (just gave the excuse that people wouldn't want to see my mug on their news feeds as I didn't want to create a hoo-ha over it and offend anyone). I felt stuck between a rock and a hard place and I didn't like that tbh.

Interesting how I felt I even had to make excuses here as well. I don't recognise myself here.

Interesting how I felt I even had to make excuses here as well. I don't recognise myself here.

Don't beat yourself up Legs! It shouldn't be such a big deal, whether you do or don't have a pic, but that's the nature of face book. We are all avatars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Obliq wrote: »
    A friend of mine got nominated for the cock in the sock thing. Luckily, he keeps poultry. Cue photo of his large and angry looking cock(-adoodledoo) in a santa sock (only one big enough apparently) with "Take that, cancer!". Credit where it's due.

That's fcuking brilliant! :D

Yeah, even if people did something like that, that made people laugh, I wouldn't have such an issue with the whole selfie4cancer thing or whatever they're calling it.

I'm getting confused now with all these selfie phenomena, the "selfie Olympics" (watching 'The Voice' the other night and it came back from an ad break and the presenter goes - "Oh sorry, myself and Kylie were just taking a selfie").

My wife has had three or four nominations since and the irony is, she has tons of photos in her albums with no make up on, but when she thinks about putting up a photo with no make up on for a specific purpose, she's like "Nooo...", I think I'd best keep my mouth shut :pac:

Don't beat yourself up Legs! It shouldn't be such a big deal, whether you do or don't have a pic, but that's the nature of face book. We are all avatars.

Ah I'm not really but it's interesting to observe my own thought process when I was so defensive of it initially. Perhaps if it hadn't been so criticised, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

It didn't keep me up last night anyway but interesting to see what it felt like to be nominated as a 33-year-old woman who's reasonably secure about her appearance. Can't imagine how I would've felt if I was 16 when I didn't like how I looked at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I've never been on Facebook but the amount of peer pressure surrounding it amazes me.

Even people trying to pressure me into setting one up and asking do I not feel left out by not being on it, and this is from grown men and women, it causes a lot of insecurities in some people.

And then to throw in guilt on top when it comes to charities, its just not nice. I mean would people head into work one day and say to a colleague in a meeting "I nominate you here in front of all these people to pay x amount to charity", its just rude, if people want to donate then they will, the nomination aspect is something I don't agree with. But because its on Facebook everybody feels they have to to save face and the cycle continues. In any normal situation you'd tell someone where to go if they tried to pressure you into something like that.

Ah I'm not really but it's interesting to observe my own thought process when I was so defensive of it initially. Perhaps if it hadn't been so criticised, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

It didn't keep me up last night anyway but interesting to see what it felt like to be nominated as a 33-year-old woman who's reasonably secure about her appearance. Can't imagine how I would've felt if I was 16 when I didn't like how I looked at all.

Yeah, I was interested about my thought processes too, having utterly changed from "this is such a gimmick" to "this is an interesting social experiment, leading to awareness about appearance insecurities". I'd be pretty horrified if I was nominated to WEAR make up, given what I've been saying about it (that's happening to a lot of my lesbian friends btw, who don't as a rule, wear any...). I'd struggle with WHY I was doing it/not doing it too.

And yeah, my eldest is gone into school today ready to support and congratulate his girlfriends for bravery in the face of social convention. I think it's been useful to the young wans.

Yeah, I was interested about my thought processes too, having utterly changed from "this is such a gimmick" to "this is an interesting social experiment, leading to awareness about appearance insecurities". I'd be pretty horrified if I was nominated to WEAR make up, given what I've been saying about it (that's happening to a lot of my lesbian friends btw, who don't as a rule, wear any...). I'd struggle with WHY I was doing it/not doing it too.

And yeah, my eldest is gone into school today ready to support and congratulate his girlfriends for bravery in the face of social convention. I think it's been useful to the young wans.

Geez, I have to be honest, I'd see that as putting unnecessary pressure on oneself the very same as women who insist they have to wear make up, or am I missing some point? They choose not to wear make up on principle or something?

Geez, I have to be honest, I'd see that as putting unnecessary pressure on oneself the very same as women who insist they have to wear make up, or am I missing some point? They choose not to wear make up on principle or something?

No, they don't see the need. Like me, and all ye fellas.

(edit: I meant "as a rule" to mean "generally". The principal would be the same as my own, I imagine. As in, why should I? What's wrong with my actual face, like?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

I see Mary Lou McDonald has jumped on the bandwagon. (breaking news)

But maybe she could donate to something like the victims of ira murders.

I see Mary Lou McDonald has jumped on the bandwagon. (breaking news)

But maybe she could donate to something like the victims of ira murders.

I don't honestly see what's worse about Mary Lou jumping on the selfie bandwagon than anyone else doing it? I'm not seeing it as a nefarious political move, that's for sure. No more than anyone else being political about whether they do/don't do the selfie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Got a text from 50300 asking if I'd intended to donate as much as I had and a link to a website if i needed a refund because apparently they've been accidentally double billing people.

No double billing for me, thankfully :)

Got a text from 50300 asking if I'd intended to donate as much as I had and a link to a website if i needed a refund because apparently they've been accidentally double billing people.

The huge unexpected swarm in donations probably overloaded the service providers systems. The next pressure now is going to be who took refunds and who didn't, and of course those who said they want a refund will be the worst in the world.

• Advertisement

Might explain why my call credit ran out yesterday! Except I never know how much I have left anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The huge unexpected swarm in donations probably overloaded the service providers systems. The next pressure now is going to be who took refunds and who didn't, and of course those who said they want a refund will be the worst in the world.

Yeah, they issued an apology and said the amount of donations was unprecedented.

I'm just really fcuking generous though, so no double billing for me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I hear you. I hate being photographed, but what I hate more is that I won't decline in case people think I'm vain. I don't mean at happy gatherings when you're all in a big smiley huggy heap - I mean on average nights out when someone whips out a phone and there goes your buzz in a half-blink of a red eye. You can't win. But it is an imposition, and one that I wouldn't put on anyone else. I actually prefer photos taken when people are going about their business only slightly aware of the camera. People look so beautiful like that.

Oddly enough, no one has nominated me for a make-up free selfie. I think it's because I don't wear makeup. And I'm caustic. :D

Id like to express an opinion on this particular topic...but first.....let me take a selfie! :pac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Festy wrote: »

Did you make that page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

A new low has been found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

Festy wrote: »

Jesus Christ, can no one keep anything private anymore? :confused:

Advertisement