Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Am I the only one kinda turned on by the "just out of bed/shower" look that many of the girls are striking in their photos?

I dunno, most look awful. Then again it's refreshing to see the ones that are actually good looking as opposed to wearing 50 euro worth of make up in every picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I admire the campaign purely because it's working. Raising €200,000 in this country is not something to be sniffed at. I particularly love the posts on Facebook crying about it on the one hand and then donating on the other to "make a point". If it wasn't for these "plebs" and their selfies you probably wouldn't have donated anything this week so think about that for a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I can't get over how different some people look without make-up! Makes you realise how much most girls wear.

Anyway..

When I first saw all these selfies it was just a loada girls posting pictures fishing for compliments pretty much. But people now seem to be also posting screenshots of their donations, and it's obviously working, so yay!

I still don't get the selfie thing though. What's the relevance?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's turned into blackmail in my case.... one friend on FB has posted a selfie, but will only donate in return for "likes". Which means the pic just then gets spread to all of my pals (or those of them that FB deems worthy of knowing about my likes).

Given that my newsfeed is already infected with far too many pics of girls with no makeup that I'd frankly rather not have to see, I'm refusing to play.

Does that make me a bad person?

(apologies if this angle has already been covered, couldn't be reading through 280-odd posts to check!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,300 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Now there's Cock In A Sock so men can donate too. The elastic on my football socks is gone so I guess I'm out.

Literally...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭RoisinDove

I find it incredibly irritating. Yes it's for a good cause, but it all seems very narcissistic to me. Most people who have come up on my newsfeed haven't even posted the number to donate, it's just all about them.

I'm also shocked by how many people think it's a big deal to post a pic without makeup and how different they look without it. I never wear it except to very special occasions, so the concept is lost on me. "Here's a pic of me looking just like I do every day!"

I've been nominated to do it but they can shag off. I'll donate as soon as I can afford to, I'm not posting some silly picture to get Likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It's turned into blackmail in my case.... one friend on FB has posted a selfie, but will only donate in return for "likes". Which means the pic just then gets spread to all of my pals (or those of them that FB deems worthy of knowing about my likes).

Given that my newsfeed is already infected with far too many pics of girls with no makeup that I'd frankly rather not have to see, I'm refusing to play.

Does that make me a bad person?

(apologies if this angle has already been covered, couldn't be reading through 280-odd posts to check!)

Are you twelve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Why are people giving out about this?

It's raising loads of money for a great cause, doing no harm to anyone and is filling my newsfeed with some natural beauties :) Fair play ladies, keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I've seen a lot of it on my FB feed and there's a lot of pics that don't look a lot different and inane comments from their pals along the lines of "u're gawjus, Hun" FFS just send the money, this is just like fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why are people giving out about this?
    Because we're on the internet. That's what it's for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What about people that run marathons for charity?

I hate these narcissistic b@stards only running so they can put their sweaty photos on Facebook for likes!

Same with Santa strike force, people just donating to up their thank count.

And don't get me started on charity workers, they only do it so they can tell people how great they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

It seems to me like you cannot do bloody anything these days or your deemed a narcissist or looking for attention. Mad how those who point the finger are the ones looking for likes ;)

Moan, moan, moan, this country is full of MOANS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

lukesmom wrote: »
    It seems to me like you cannot do bloody anything these days or your deemed a narcissist or looking for attention. Mad how those who point the finger are the ones looking for likes ;)

Moan, moan, moan, this country is full of MOANS!

Yes isn't awful when everyone doesn't have the same POV as MEEE!

:D

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Yes isn't awful when everyone doesn't have the same POV as MEEE!

:D

That's not my point though, I'm saying there are people ready to pounce on others, no matter what they are doing. They love to be in the opposition. Moaners. Can't stand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

This stupid song is my head now.......>.<

• Registered Users Posts: 19,300 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This idea has generated a lot of money for cancer research and so has to be a great thing.

All bar one of my friends on facebook have been mortified doing it and all have donated money.

Facebook has its fair share of attention seeking a-holes and they will always be there.
    If there are people on it using this idea to get attention, then don't give it to them - scroll on, but don't knock the concept because of the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

That's not my point though, I'm saying there are people ready to pounce on others, no matter what they are doing. They love to be in the opposition. Moaners. Can't stand them.

But we're Irish, that's what we do..........:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I haven't done it because I'm not arrogant enough to think my make up less face is something of interest to anybody.

I have donated a couple of times over the last few days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I haven't done it because I'm not arrogant enough to think my make up less face is something of interest to anybody.

It's probably not. Same way mine probably isn't either. The difference between a quiet donation and the selfie with donation is that more people see it and get prodded into donating or donating with selfie, the latter in turn spreading the message to more people... Peer pressure and that, can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Don't think it's catching on but ive seen a few "cock in a sock - raise awareness of testicular cancer" selfies :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Money went to Cancer Research

Who f*cking cares how it went there.

Its not like it was funded by the sale of Heroin or something

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Selfiiiiiieeeee!

Money went to Cancer Research

Who f*cking cares how it went there.

Its not like it was funded by the sale of Heroin or something

That's the bottom line I guess.

I did post a screenshot 2 nights ago of my text donation (this is when the selfies weren't necessarily accompanied by anything about donations). I asked that people just forget making it all about themselves and remember those who matter (ie those who are battling cancer).

The first "Like" the post got? My 12 year old cousin who has leukemia. Says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-cancer-society-donations-no-make-up-selfie-1372528-Mar2014/

Close thread, before the whingers embarrass themselves some more. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

The first "Like" the post got? My 12 year old cousin who has leukemia. Says it all.

Nice. I felt like posting a picture of the 2 daffodil pins I bought in the last few weeks, but didn't bother. Also I donated by text because it's a great idea - however I made a point of saying don't nominate me because I don't do selfies or make-up, and had immediate response from a woman who'd had breast cancer twice who also didn't get the selfie thing.

I've revised my thoughts a bit since yesterday though. Now I'm thinking that seeing as selfies are such a big thing on facebook and twitter at the mo, this is a really, really amazing marketing tool and a clever way of spreading the word. It's just perplexing those of us who don't subscribe to selfies in the first place, and see them as narcissistic.

Oooh so anybody who done it is arrogant! Yeah screw those who put the photos up we should have a bit more modesty like you telling us how you have donated 'a couple of times'. Give me a break!

Oooh so anybody who done it is arrogant! Yeah screw those who put the photos up we should have a bit more modesty like you telling us how you have donated 'a couple of times'. Give me a break!

I only mentioned donating because I wanted to highlight that I support the financial drive behind the campaign. This started without ANY donating behind it, and I'm really glad people copped on and started accompanying their selfies with their donation details.

I think seflies in general are thick-if I'm your fb mate odds are I know what you look like. It just comes off as narcissism IMO.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-cancer-society-donations-no-make-up-selfie-1372528-Mar2014/

Close thread, before the whingers embarrass themselves some more. :rolleyes:

So those of us who think the "ah babez you're stunnin even without make up" brigade are eejits are whingers? There's no arguing that the money raised has been fantastic, but it's not down to the muppets who started the drive.

• Advertisement

I only mentioned donating because I wanted to highlight that I support the financial drive behind the campaign. This started without ANY donating behind it, and I'm really glad people copped on and started accompanying their selfies with their donation details.

I think seflies in general are thick-if I'm your fb mate odds are I know what you look like. It just comes off as narcissism IMO.

I think people who love moaning are thick!

Advertisement