Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If you weren't such pricks and liked the posts they'd definitely cure cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

I'm curious to know if these people are donating aswel? If not, then it's not really creating awareness. It seems to be more about getting Facebook likes and resulting in people thinking they've done their good deed for the day.

Maybe they could seek sponsorship to go for a week of no makeup, including going to work and attending college and even going on nights out. That's creating awareness.
    Atleast movember participants actually raised money.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭TheSetMiner

we're talking about it aren't we

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

My profile picture is a no-make-up selfie. I don't wear make-up. I'm horribly aware of breast cancer as a friend died of it. But I see no connection between these things. In fact, some of the awareness princesses avoided her throughout her ordeal as if it was catching. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

lukesmom wrote: »
    I will do anything to promote the cause.

I feel I still lack the necessary awareness. Naked selfie plz? :pac:

Seriously, hope your Mother makes a full recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so a bunch of people take no makeup pictures of themselves to raise awareness and hopefully money for cancer

people start talking about it and some end up donating money

the people taking no makeup pictures of themselves are idiots

that right? did I miss a step?

so a bunch of people take no makeup pictures of themselves to raise awareness and hopefully money for cancer

people start talking about it and some end up donating money

the people taking no makeup pictures of themselves are idiots

that right? did I miss a step?

Step 1 was a vanity play with no mention of money;

Step 2 was a counterpoint to redeem 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

David Icke has done exposes on this. The cure for cancer already exists. The pharmaceutical companies are suppressing it because they want people ill, not well, as people being ill is how they make their money. An Italian doctor called Doctor Simonici has been curing cancer with bicarbonate of soda. People should read David Icke's books or at least his website.

Apart from everything else wrong with this post ...

You do know that "cancer" isn't a single disease? It covers a whole massive range of all sorts of diseases and disorders, which affect so many people, young and old, male or female, healthy or not. Each of which require very specific treatment, following many years of research, and each time tailored to that individual.

The amount of money, time, research and effort put into the treatment of every form of cancer, even the most obscure ones ...

Give them a bit of bicarbonate of soda ... I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Yeah I can see how it might annoy some people but if you want to get attention or likes, then surely you would glam yourself up not post a photo of yourself with no make up looking pale or whatever.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Yeah I can see how it might annoy some people but if you want to get attention or likes, then surely you would glam yourself up not post a photo of yourself with no make up looking pale or whatever.

Reverse psychology!

Besides, most men I know don't like glam make-up on women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hope everybody likes my 'no socks for scurvy' awareness campaign. No mocking please. BookFace has shown itself time and time again to be an invaluable resource in the field of actually getting stuff done. Just ask Joseph Kony, who has been languishing for two years now in a UN prison for crimes against humanity. And where would the the children of the nation find safety of it weren't for the regular 'man in a white van acting suspiciously' updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Its not all about digging deep in your pockets to donate money. By posting the selfies its making people talk and (hopefully) spreading awareness about the importance of getting that lump checked out and examining yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Cancer is an immortalised cell line. Pick one type of cancer that means a lot to you and focus on that Imo. Real progress has been made with breast cancer via antibody therapy and identification of the overexpression of Her2 in people with the illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Who cares? The people in this thread moaning about it are as bad as those posting the selfies in the first place. If you don't want to see them just click "hide this post" and move on with your life.

They are not as bad because people remain anonymous on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

David Icke has done exposes on this. The cure for cancer already exists. The pharmaceutical companies are suppressing it because they want people ill, not well, as people being ill is how they make their money. An Italian doctor called Doctor Simonici has been curing cancer with bicarbonate of soda. People should read David Icke's books or at least his website.
    So many lols for just one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

sinead88 wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on this makeup-less selfie trend on facebook, supposedly to raise awareness for cancer? Personally, I think it's totally redundant. It has nothing to do with cancer whatsoever, and does nothing to help those affected by it. If anything, it's slightly offensive as it almost equates going through cancer with your facebook friends just seeing you without makeup on. Also, everyone is really quite aware of cancer already so a donation would be much more beneficial. It just seems like narcissistic fishing for likes and validation to me. I'm genuinely surprised that it's caught on.

It makes me think "I am already aware of cancer, this has not changed my awareness level, you don't look great without make-up, maybe that's societies fault for making so hard for women to be imperfect, thus making my expectations as unrealistic as make-up, am I thus part of the problem?"

In short, it doesn't achieve the alleged goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

So many lols for just one post.

I know, so many silly people out there, opinions like this are dangerous and misleading, They amuse me sometimes,
    It's only a matter if time before people start taking pictures of their balls for Tourette's syndrome awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I thought the point was that you nominate someone and if they do it, then you donate by text? Doesn't seem like the worst way to spend 15 mins. Why all the hate. Sounds to me though like people are not doing it right. You have to donate is the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

He also believes that numerous high-ranking politicians are lizards. Not metaphorically, but actual human-sized intelligent lizards from another planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I was not "aware" of cancer until I saw the no makeup selfies...
    @Rubberbandits: Girls should do no make up Selfies of them signing a cheque to a breast cancer charity, that might actually make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anyone seen the parody page yet?

Sellotape selfies lol.

Here's an example :pac: (seriously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

All the nomakeup selfies tonight on my newsfeed is a pic of them with no makeup and a screenshot of their text "DAFF" to 50300

I can get behind that

efb wrote: »
    @Rubberbandits: Girls should do no make up Selfies of them signing a cheque to a breast cancer charity, that might actually make a difference.
    The the Rubberbandits would accuse them of glory-hunting.

Meh, raising awareness of it is good IMO, even if some of the selfies are insincere. I know we're all aware of what cancer is, but people should be checking their bits, even from a young age. It gets forgotten that not just middle-aged/old people succumb to cancer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Meh, raising awareness of it is good IMO, even if some of the selfies are insincere. I know we're all aware of what cancer is, but people should be checking their bits, even from a young age. It gets forgotten that not just middle-aged/old people succumb to cancer...

There is also a peer pressure element in it I don't like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Looks like some good came from it.
    Some people will moan about feckin anything.

Selfie windfall for cancer charity
    http://news.uk.msn.com/selfie-windfall-for-cancer-charity#tscptmf

The charity said it was still looking into the exact rise in the number of donations but said there had been an "unprecedented" number of text donations throughout the day.

A spokeswoman said tens of thousands of text donations have been from people getting involved in the latest online craze today alone.

The Breast Cancer Campaign said it had also received a boost in funding as a result of the campaign.

I'd rather an awareness campaign about the treatment available should you get breast cancer in Ireland - what to do if you live in Donegal, for example, and have to go to Galway? Maybe if people were aware of this before a crisis, when they need all their strength to get better or to help someone belonging to them, then we might actually improve matters.

More people are posting a selfie and also a pic of their donation receipt now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

More people are posting a selfie and also a pic of their donation receipt now.

Fishing for likes with that.
    If you're going to donate you should do it anonymously, practically bragging about it or telling people is pathetic.

Muise... wrote: »
    I'd rather an awareness campaign about the treatment available should you get breast cancer in Ireland - what to do if you live in Donegal, for example, and have to go to Galway? Maybe if people were aware of this before a crisis, when they need all their strength to get better or to help someone belonging to them, then we might actually improve matters.
    Yeh it's not my choice of addressing cancer awareness, but I'd still be on the "Any awareness is better than none" side of the fence. I see what people are saying though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I don't see why people need to post a selfie anyway since you could just as easily donate without posting any selfie to begin with or how about people posting that they've donated just showing the screenshot then nominate someone else to donate etc
    It's great that it has been helping and encouraging people to donate though just don't know why they need to justify it with posting a no make up selfie pic .

Advertisement