Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

893bet wrote: »
    I prefer the strong silent types..!

Excellent. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

893bet wrote: »
    Exactly. Nothing more than narcissistic need IMO. 1000 of woman dont bother doing it. Not because they are afraid to be seen or ashamed or anything but there is little to be gained unless you are a natural attention seeker. So forgive me if I dont laud the 'strength' of the attention seekers. I prefer the strong silent types..!

Narcissism is not the same as attention seeking. That Amazon photographer was seeking attention in the best possible punk way. Everyone loves breasts - to bare the scar where a breast once was is a very arresting act. I'm glad I paid her the attention she sought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

sinead88 wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on this makeup-less selfie trend on facebook, supposedly to raise awareness for cancer? Personally, I think it's totally redundant. It has nothing to do with cancer whatsoever, and does nothing to help those affected by it. If anything, it's slightly offensive as it almost equates going through cancer with your facebook friends just seeing you without makeup on. Also, everyone is really quite aware of cancer already so a donation would be much more beneficial. It just seems like narcissistic fishing for likes and validation to me. I'm genuinely surprised that it's caught on.

Yera yeah,its only raised £2m in the uk so far and another €400,000 and growing in Ireland for cancer awareness...and you say it has nothing to do with cancer.? :rolleyes: get a grip of yourself ffs.Would you rather no-one post a picture and donate at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Everyone knows what cancer is at this stage. Post money, not pictures.

Sorry for not reading the whole thread before posting, but this is a key point I think. The advent of social media campaigns often subverts people into thinking that 'liking' and 'sharing' is equivalent to real action. Posting a pathos-laden status ("I already know which of my friends will") is one of the most daft ideas I've seen; it would be the equivalent of saying "wear a sad face this week to help us beat cancer" in the years before FaceBook.

People should not be given the false comfort that hitting a few 'like' buttons makes them a philanthropist.

!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Zen65 wrote: »
    Sorry for not reading the whole thread before posting, but this is a key point I think. The advent of social media campaigns often subverts people into thinking that 'liking' and 'sharing' is equivalent to real action. Posting a pathos-laden status ("I already know which of my friends will") is one of the most daft ideas I've seen; it would be the equivalent of saying "wear a sad face this week to help us beat cancer" in the years before FaceBook.

People should not be given the false comfort that hitting a few 'like' buttons makes them a philanthropist.

!

Very eloquently put!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I posted on Facebook my shaved testicles in aid of testicular cancer. Here is a pic. I think it might just spread.

Man, why did I click on that link....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Ush1 wrote: »
    I don't understand these types of things. I used to remember to raise money for a cause you actually had to do something difficult such as run a marathon.

I thought the actually "no make-up" selfie was a stupid enough way to raise awareness. But it's raising money too, so in my face!

As for doing something difficult. If a person raises money through running a marathon, fair play. If a person raises/donates money while also putting up a picture of herself without make-up, surely fair play again, no?

As I guy, I don't know how "difficult" is it for a girl to take one of these "no make-up" selfies, but from what I've seen from my friends, they're all donating money as well. Isn't the donation the most important thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Ok first off, I'm a lurker not a poster but after reading through this entire thread I had to comment.

Secondly, Not everyone who posts their pics are attention seeking airheads!!. last night I was nominated (for the 3rd time) I had actually already donated but had been really reluctant to put up a pic. Throughout school I had the worst skin and suffered years of soul destroying bullying. Ten years later, I never leave the house without makeup and the thoughts of taking it all off and publicly showing my face actually brought me out in a cold sweat. In the end I sucked it up and did it. As ridiculous as it might sound to men or to women who dont wear makeup..but it was a genuinely hard thing for me to do. I know people will say "well why did you bother then..it wouldnt have made any difference" but as far as im concerned, if everyone thought like that then the selfie craze would have lasted all of five mins and the ICC would be a 1/4 million worse off today!

At the end of the day, there is no difference in the €4 given by the anonymous donor and the €4 given by someone who also has a pic on facebook? Everybody needs to lighten up, enjoy the pics or stay off FB for the next day or two until this runs its course..

rant over...back to the shadows :)

I agree, don't see why participating automatically places you in the category of "narcissistic" and "attention-seeking". It's harmless and it's raised a lot of money in a small space of time. I have yet to see even one person on my newsfeed who didn't donate and who didn't give information about how to donate etc. People need to get a grip!
    lukesmom wrote: »
    Then harm is people don't like to see others having a bit of fun and raising thousands in the process. They think we are being narcissistic and attention seeking.

+1

People seem to jumped on a bandwagon of tarring everyone with the one narcissistic brush, which is wrong imo. It's the done thing to say that Facebook is stupid and everyone on it is a sheep and brainwashed.:rolleyes: I'm sure there are a few who make it all about themselves, but anyone I know who participated (including myself) actually bothered to donate and let others know how they could donate too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

MadYaker wrote: »
    I thought this was nonsense in the beginning, but now everyone who does is donating 4 quid to the irish cancer society and so far they've raised about €200,000.

The Irish Cancer Society today said €440,000 raised and still counting from no makeup selfies donations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I think calling these women narcissistic is very OTT. The word narcissistic has very strong connotations and is bandied around too much these days. I genuinely don't know any narcissistic women (quite the opposite, in fact) and the women I've seen doing this would have their own insecurities about their appearance that they've all spoken about to me in the past.

Surely a woman can't be that narcissistic if they need fancy lighting and filters or whatever to bear all? Posting a photo of yourself on Facebook doesn't mean you're exceptionally fascinated with your appearance. If some women did it for likes, then they're hardly full of themselves if they have to resort to that? Am I missing something?

Do you genuinely believe those women are in love with their own appearance? Knowing as many women as I do, myself included, I highly doubt that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Rhotheta

I think calling these women narcissistic is very OTT. The word narcissistic has very strong connotations and is bandied around too much these days. I genuinely don't know any narcissistic women (quite the opposite, in fact) and the women I've seen doing this would have their own insecurities about their appearance that they've all spoken about to me in the past.

Surely a woman can't be that narcissistic if they need fancy lighting and filters or whatever to bear all? Posting a photo of yourself on Facebook doesn't mean you're exceptionally fascinated with your appearance. If some women did it for likes, then they're hardly full of themselves if they have to resort to that? Am I missing something?

Do you genuinely believe those women are in love with their own appearance? Knowing as many women as I do, myself included, I highly doubt that.

Narcissism and insecurity are different sides of the same coin.

Rhotheta wrote: »
    Narcissism and insecurity are different sides of the same coin.

Elaborate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I completely agree with you here. But I have to say it just stuns me every time that so many women are slaves to appearance. I know because I used to be. I can't exactly tell you at what point I started not giving a sh1t about "putting on a face", and realised that my own face was damn well good enough for ME, and the rest could go jump.....but I can tell you that it utterly saddens me that SO many women think it's such a big deal to show their real faces to the world. Why don't more women fight to get out from under the masks? Yes, we all have insecurities, but at some point we have to grow the fcuk up.

TBH, it offends me too, because it's nearly like saying to a woman who doesn't subscribe to this cover-up job that she is somehow being brave to be a woman with a bare face? Remind you of any other women anywhere in the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Elaborate.
    I think they mean horribly vain people can be at the same time seeking validation from others, which I agree with - having had extensive experience of such a person.
    But I agree with you too - I doubt every woman posting a no make-up selfie is fishing for likes, how can people be so certain of this? I'm sure plenty are fishing for likes, but I'm also sure plenty are just joining in with good intentions, and also donating. The funds raised speak for themselves, and sometimes it takes a "craze" to get the ball rolling to create awareness and raise funds - e.g. running a marathon (in fairness though, running a marathon is a lot more of an achievement than taking a no make-up selfie, but people still enjoy doing it) and growing a moustache for Movember (I cannot understand the criticism this gets either).

Obliq wrote: »
    I completely agree with you here. But I have to say it just stuns me every time that so many women are slaves to appearance. I know because I used to be. I can't exactly tell you at what point I started not giving a sh1t about "putting on a face", and realised that my own face was damn well good enough for ME, and the rest could go jump.....but I can tell you that it utterly saddens me that SO many women think it's such a big deal to show their real faces to the world. Why don't more women fight to get out from under the masks? Yes, we all have insecurities, but at some point we have to grow the fcuk up.

TBH, it offends me too, because it's nearly like saying to a woman who doesn't subscribe to this cover-up job that she is somehow being brave to be a woman with a bare face? Remind you of any other women anywhere in the world?

Physical appearance is valued in women more than anything in our society. Silly to pretend it's not. Imo it's particularly tough for young women when images of perfect women are becoming ever more pervasive. I see it around me: it's the young wans who layer it on and the older ones who don't. You get more confidence and give less of a fcuk as you get older shocker!

Most women just want to look presentable when they leave the house and for many, that involves make up. Doesn't mean they're slaves to anything though.

Who says most of these women ARE slaves to appearance anyway? Why assume that? Some are, most aren't, I'm guessing. My friends who posted make up-less faces most definitely are not.

I didn't hear too many people refer to them as "brave" (none, in fact), so not sure what the craic is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Love how people get their digs in nice and quick and ignore the fact that this trend has not just been "Like if you h8 cancer" but has actually raised money. And a ****ing lot of money too. I'm all for it. I don't care if its a fecking "Necknominate" (bad example I know) for Cancer. Its raising money for a very worthwhile cause at no harm to all these naysayers.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Love how people get their digs in nice and quick and ignore the fact that this trend has not just been "Like if you h8 cancer" but has actually raised money. And a ****ing lot of money too. I'm all for it. I don't care if its a fecking "Necknominate" (bad example I know) for Cancer. Its raising money for a very worthwhile cause at no harm to all these naysayers.

Then I assume you are happy that those digs are helping to raise money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Been nominated way too many times and feel like I look stingy even though I've text a donation already, so tomorrow I am going to give in and take a selfie with no slap, and donate again and post proof. I am a sheep!!

Oh right, do you think ill be stunning in my natural state? Hardly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

I think this is a great idea, a MILLION times better than the neknomination. Mainly because of the donation part now, had it been just selfies alone it would have been very fcking annoying, since it would not help whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Necknomination is ****ing great.... Self cleansing of the genepool... Anyone ****ing stupid enough to drink a pint half whiskey half bleach deserves anything and everything they get. What is it with the kids these days ? Any point in my human life or that of my peers had anyone suggested I pull some of that **** you'd just walk away and think **** that's some weirdo.... Now it's the reverse.... Idiots all.

As for this selfie nonsense... It's not for me but if it makes a few quid for charity and harms nobody then so be it.... Selfies.. Heh.. I think society has more worries people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Well I'm a vain bit@h and love my makeup. My skin without make up looks pretty dull, dark circles under my eyes from too much smoking and coffee. But not only am I delighted that the selfie craze has led to massive donations, I've found it very liberating to bare my makeup less face with no special lighting etc. And yeah I've had the 'your lovely with and without makeup comments and one person said she loved my eyebrows which is strange and definitely a first. So apart from raising money and spreading awareness it has boosted my confidence, me being the narcissistic, attention seeking yoke that I am :)

Going by the attitude of some opposer's of the selfie craze I really should retire to a dark corner of the house and donate in secret, oh and then tell everyone on boards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I think this is a great idea, a MILLION times better than the neknomination. Mainly because of the donation part now, had it been just selfies alone it would have been very fcking annoying, since it would not help whatsoever.

Agreed. I have never dated a girl who wears makeup and would never do so. Most guys I know hate it too.

EDIT: My serious error. I should have talked about anything other than the absolute minimum makeup ... a bit of eye makeup is ok, and a super thin amount of face stuff. But lipstick makes me queezy, and it tastes godawfull ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Piliger wrote: »
    Agreed. I have never dated a girl who wears makeup and would never do so. Most guys I know hate it too.

Not even a bit of make-up??? Not talking about plastering it on but seriously you'd never date a girl or have never dated a girl who has worn makeup? She probably made it look natural but was still wearing it, there's an art to that.

I don't mind a girl with makeup on as long as long as it isn't caked on... That is quite a turnoff. There is a girl that works in our place.. Quite naturally good looking but my god with the makeup... It's almost as if she comes in expecting to be auditioning for Duffys circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Apols ... edited my post above :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

There's a social pressure element to it too, don't forget. You're nominated, and I'd imagine you might be considered curmudgeonly for not following through. Definitely not all the women who have posted selfies on my FB are vain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Agreed. I have never dated a girl who wears makeup

That you know of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

lukesmom wrote: »
    Not even a bit of make-up??? Not talking about plastering it on but seriously you'd never date a girl or have never dated a girl who has worn makeup? She probably made it look natural but was still wearing it, there's an art to that.

Yeah my boyfriend had been seeing me for a few months when he said "I love that you don't wear make up", when I told him he hadn't yet seen me without makeup
    he genuinely didn't believe me, although having said that he didn't notice when I stopped wearing it, needn't have bothered at all!
    I dunno if that means I'm using **** make up or I'm just really good at applying it to look natural :p

Tasden wrote: »
    Yeah my boyfriend had been seeing me for a few months when he said "I love that you don't wear make up", when I told him he hadn't yet seen me without makeupp

Yup.. I've used that line too :)

• Advertisement

Those who think it's brave to post no make up pictures need to actually become aware of the effects of cancer and find out what true bravery actually is. That's if they actually care about awareness.

Advertisement