Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

So the "men wearing make up selfie" has started

Ya that and "Cock in a sock"... horrible just horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

My initial reaction to this campaign was the classic WTF!?
    While I still find it quite bizarre I try to look at it from the positive side - funds for a good cause. I myself didn't know about the possibility of donating by text, that was handy. I'm not into selfies and I didn't bother taking one but I put up the info with the phone number and reference to Irish Cancer Society and I posted a picture of the 12 signs of breast cancer lemons picture instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

It seems to have died down a bit on my news feed at least. And most of the girls still had the tiniest bit of make up on. I've seen some of them without make up and compared to their no make up selfie it was a totally different image. It was either that or they would flash a spotlight at the camera so you could barely see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

The no make up selfie... its a way of showing vulnerability .. how many women do you know that would not be seen outside the bathroom door without makeup..? and now they are putting it out there for all to see.. i think its an amazing way of raising money.

I donated but didn't do the selfie.. got busted by loads of my friends til i gave in.. it was scary.. holy jeebus.. imagine then how scary it is to have cancer do treatment lose your hair and have everyone know and look at you differently... small thing i know, but the figures say it all... over a half a million € ...

my dad died from cancer 3 years ago.. he did the treatment, lost most of his hair, got looked at with pity and he f***ing hated every look he got.. my respect to whoever came up with the idea !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Piliger wrote: »
    The reason we have had such astonishing progress in fighting all kinds of cancer over recent decades is directly linked to the increased awareness of the importance of research and to the scale of money raised for research. ....
    Agree with most of what you say except that.

Unfortunately the outcome for
    Childhood Brain Cancer,
    the Number One Child Cancer Killer
    (not leukaemia as most think)
    has changed little in 30 years.

Yet it receives a tiny fraction of the funds the big name, high profile cancers get.

Children don't vote, don't have a big voice, or careers, are rarely high profile celebrities, except to their own families.

Brain cancer research is woefully underfunded (0.7% of cancer funding in the UK)
    Similarly in Ireland
    The amount of research funding here is a fraction of that devoted to colorectal, breast and prostate.
    And research funding is the reason these cancers have a far better prognosis in 2014.

Mar 28 is Wear a Hat day, so maybe stick a hat on for those selfies and rebalance the supposed awareness of cancer that so many think they have.

http://www.thebraintumourcharity.org/

https://www.facebook.com/GoldTheNewPink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭qdawg86

I think it says it all that the selfies themselves have been talked about and highlighted more than the fact that you can donate 4 euro by text to cancer research. I have not seen one poster of said selfies give out the number in their actions, but at the same time "like" any comments about their makeup-less beauty by their friends.

Every selfie I've seen has been accompanied by a donation plus a comment on how to donate yourself.

I don't really see how people can have a problem with this to be honest.

And many people are 'aware' of cancer. Unfortunately that doesn't always equate to making an appointment with the Dr as soon as you find a lump. I know people who won't go for fear of getting bad news......it is tough to change peoples attitudes, so the more talk about it the better in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭qdawg86

I'm curious to know if these people are donating aswel? If not, then it's not really creating awareness. It seems to be more about getting Facebook likes and resulting in people thinking they've done their good deed for the day.

Maybe they could seek sponsorship to go for a week of no makeup, including going to work and attending college and even going on nights out. That's creating awareness.
    Atleast movember participants actually raised money.

I asked numerous guys who informed me that they were doing Movember what charity they were raising money for.

They hadn't a clue what I was on about.

Facial hair is fashionable at the moment. That was about the beginning and end of it for them.

It's funny how men are given a pat on the back for their efforts but women are accused of narcissism when they do the same thing.

Good old Ireland :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

cbyrd wrote: »
    The no make up selfie... its a way of showing vulnerability .. how many women do you know that would not be seen outside the bathroom door without makeup..? and now they are putting it out there for all to see.. i think its an amazing way of raising money.

I donated but didn't do the selfie.. got busted by loads of my friends til i gave in.. it was scary.. holy jeebus.. imagine then how scary it is to have cancer do treatment lose your hair and have everyone know and look at you differently... small thing i know, but the figures say it all... over a half a million € ...

my dad died from cancer 3 years ago.. he did the treatment, lost most of his hair, got looked at with pity and he f***ing hated every look he got.. my respect to whoever came up with the idea !;)

Sorry for your loss and I agree with all of your post x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

qdawg86 wrote: »
    I asked numerous guys who informed me that they were doing Movember what charity they were raising money for.

Facial hair is fashionable at the moment. That was about the beginning and end of it for them.

It's funny how men are given a pat on the back for their efforts but women are accused of narcissism when they do the same thing.

Good old Ireland :p

Yeah, no where else in the world is silly. Just Ireland. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

qdawg86 wrote: »

I'm sure that really happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I am the only one where guys are getting nominated to do a make-up selfie (usually by their girlfriends)...they end up looking disturbing???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Gaspode wrote: »
    I am getting so pissed off with this nominate crap on FB at the moment (no makeup, guys no make, sellotape on face etc etc- firstly why are people wasting so much of their money on these charities when they know most of the money goes into the back pocket of the execs running them.
    Why donate to charity at all so? It still raises funds, even if some of them have senior executives in receipt of seemingly ludicrously high salaries.
    Wake up and smell the roses guys, this isn't some charitable campaign you're all getting involved with, it's a viral marketing campaign and you are getting sucked into it.
    A viral marketing campaign by whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I agree that society and the media projects a certain level of expectation of perfection from women and it has an influence. Although I very vividly remember at 13 and 14 years old when my acne really took hold that it wasn't perfect pictures of celebs that made me long for a flawless complexion, it was the gorgeous skin of my bare-faced peers that really drove me to it. There was maybe 4 or 5 of us in my year of 90 that had "bad" skin - the rest were had clear skin, the envy was unreal. I remember being so hard on myself at the time. I'm much happier now at 21 than I ever was from the ages of 13 - 16!

Ya know, just from my observations about guys with the same afflictions, it would seem they are not judged at all to the same extent! I didn't go to a mixed school so I can't say for certain, but I think with guys their personality may come into it more. A shy guy who develops acne may retreat even more into himself, whereas a guy who is a bit more "sociable", has a lot of friends, has a social hobby such as sport etc won't be affected in the same way. My younger brother developed acne late in comparison to me, around 16/17. It bugs him, but he carries on as normal and doesn't really care. He could have the biggest spot ever in the middle of his face and he would still pose for a picture - he doesn't let it get in the way. There are hardly any pictures of me from the ages of 13 - 16, I was too self-conscious!

I think in general, men do not face the same challenges women do in this context. That said, I am completely open to a male poster to come back and challenge me on this, it would be really interesting!

I'd disagree with this slightly, I remember a few lads in my class at school had very bad acne and they got terrible abuse over it from other boys and some of the girls as well.

I think remarks about something like that can be hurtful to either gender, even if they don't let on that it gets to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I'd disagree with this slightly, I remember a few lads in my class at school had very bad acne and they got terrible abuse over it from other boys and some of the girls as well.

I think remarks about something like that can be hurtful to either gender, even if they don't let on that it gets to them.

Yeah there were guys who were made fun of because of their physical appearance in my school too.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    In my experience anyway you'd be fairly spot on (no pun intended), but guys tend to focus more on other guys behaviour or their personality, whereas again, only in my experience, girls will focus more on other girls physical appearance..

I went to a large mixed secondary school and fellas and girls were just as guilty as each other of laughing at the physical appearance of students of both genders (I was one of the victims for a while and it was mainly guys tbh). Perhaps girls were more inclined to do it behind backs whereas lads were more upfront. Both genders were just as guilty as each other of bullying over behaviour in my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

I've been telling the GF for years she looks better with less make (less is more) - What does she do? Puts on More...
    As soon as FaceBook tells her to take off make up, its done within the hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Like I said, I was only commenting on the little observation I had, not making a wholesale statement. :) I don't doubt remarks hurt everyone though, that's not what I said at all! Obviously people say things that are downright rude and hurtful, it's an awful feeling when it happens to you! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

2 Million eh? nice little vacation in the bahamas awaits for thee.

WAKE UP

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

leggo wrote: »

That is a ridiculous heading. What idiot thought that would be a good idea for for a heading of an article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭3mm

the actually selfie idea is questionable but by what im hearing its being a very successful fundraising campaign which can only do good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    That is a ridiculous heading. What idiot thought that would be a good idea for for a heading of an article.

em, a sarcastic one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Oh nice, I'm liking that a lot ;-) Will repost on facebook with a "please do not read unless thick skin is appropriated, thank you".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Oh fcuk yes, this just articulates everything I couldn't quite put into words about this entire campaign.

I don't know in what parts it's an Irish/human thing, but the "TWO MILLION POUNDS!!!!!111!1" that's just tirelessly and predictably used to beat anyone who dares criticize this "charitable" endeavour about the head is just exasperating. How dare anyone criticize charity? It by definition makes you a bad, evil, uncharitable person, right?

For me the whole thing is just about the fact that charity and vanity/the selfish need for validation simply don't go hand in hand.

And yes, as pointed out, maybe there IS no such thing as a "selfless deed", but for a deed to be so entirely motivated by "look at me, look at MEEEE", accompanied by this idea that a woman de-makeuping herself for all of the facebook world to see is comparable to some form of courage or heroism, just feels wrong, and self-indulgent, and an offence to the cause at hand.

I just get the sense that the particular "cause" doesn't really matter here - it could be cancer or it could be Kony or it could be starving-babies-in-Africa - the thoughtless, sheep-like willingness to jump on board and exhibit this "charity" would've been the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rhotheta wrote: »
    Those who think it's brave to post no make up pictures need to actually become aware of the effects of cancer and find out what true bravery actually is. That's if they actually care about awareness.

Bollock over 500k has being raised.

Good to see the Irish tradition of bitching negativity and moaning is alive in you

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Rhotheta

ted1 wrote: »

Good to see the Irish tradition of bitching negativity and moaning is alive in you

Do you actually think that people who think it's brave to post a picture without make up have a healthy and unwarped outlook on life? They need to cop on and take a look at people who have real problems, not just a bad complexion.

In fairness, the criticism has been international.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I am glad money has been raised. Kudos.

I am, however, disappointed that grown women think showing their faces without make up is a big deal. I have massive self image issues that have spanned my entire life, and even I am not so ashamed of myself that I need to make my face acceptable to strangers.

Seriously, wtf?

So they're showing off and ashamed of themselves. Which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

In fairness, the criticism has been international.

True, Legs.Eleven
    So it would be more valid to say... Good to see the Irish tradition of self loathing is alive in some posters.

Advertisement