Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No makeup selfie.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Tasden wrote: »
    I think girls would feel a lot more confident without makeup if they didn't hear "are you ok?/you look sick" whenever they go out wearing none :o
    Its a natural reaction if someone looks paler than usual or their eyes look less defined and therefore tired, or bags not covered by concealer, it doesn't necessarily mean they look bad without it, they just look different and the first thought is that something might be wrong with them. Every one of my makeup wearing friends has had this happen at one point or another and when it does it just confirms to them that they do need to wear it, whereas its more just a case of the person not being used to their natural face.

I think it's interesting that it confirms to them that they need to wear it. Wouldn't you think it could also confirm that they've painted over their natural skin tone for so long that perhaps they're not comfortable with the way they actually look anymore?

You're right for sure. It is just a case of the person not being used to their natural face, but it also shows up the insecurities in a big way, when instead of letting everyone get used to what they look like really, they go running for the foundation.

Like Bodice Ripper, I've often been told it must be just me. I've been told by my SIL who is a high flying executive that I look like a child (for wearing no make up) - I'm 42 FFS. The day I wore some to a wedding, I looked SO grown up apparently. I naturally kept my mouth shut, as she's bigger than me ;) Inwardly, as I look at herself and her friend together sometimes, I wonder do they know that they look as if they are trying to look like sisters? Same flawless skin (thank you Mac), same smokey eyes (understated, in the exact same way), similar lippy and well blonded (in an actual hairdresser, like!) hair.

Perhaps it's vanity that I DON'T want to look the same as everyone else?!! I remember reading a book along those lines once actually. Must try and find it online - Mad stuff about people getting arrested for wanting their own face :eek:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Tasden wrote: »
    I think girls would feel a lot more confident without makeup if they didn't hear "are you ok?/you look sick" whenever they go out wearing none :o
    Its a natural reaction if someone looks paler than usual or their eyes look less defined and therefore tired, or bags not covered by concealer, it doesn't necessarily mean they look bad without it, they just look different and the first thought is that something might be wrong with them. Every one of my makeup wearing friends has had this happen at one point or another and when it does it just confirms to them that they do need to wear it, whereas its more just a case of the person not being used to their natural face.

OH God this! I used to get this so much. I have a very pale complexion and I think the fact that I have a dark hair and dark eyes might make me look a bit more zombie-ish. I was so aware of it that for a period of time you wouldn't catch me dead without make up. Even I wasn't used to my natural face any more! Eventually I found being a slave of my own insecurity quite limiting and put an end to it. + I have a sensitive skin and plastering unnecessary substances over it on a daily bases didn't do it any good either.
    I don't wear make up every day and if I do it's quite light anyway. But I tend to take a good care of my skin so it looks healthy and sometimes I get my eyebrows and eye lashes tinted just to add a bit of a definition to the face. That said I like make up, I enjoy "dolling" myself up when going out. I don't do it to impress men or other women, I do it because it's fun, it's a part of the "going out" routine and it makes me feel good. Now if I only wasn't so clumsy, but that's a different story :D

czechlin wrote: »
    Eventually I found being a slave of my own insecurity quite limiting and put an end to it.

Excellent post czechlin! ^^that's exactly why I stopped too.

This is the book I was thinking of in my last post, if anyone interested. It's very 1984 like, a dystopian fantasy, but I loved it. Very disturbing :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_Justice

"A young woman named Jael 97, who has been reported to the Ministry of Facial Justice for being "facially over privileged" and causing discontent among other women, approaches the Equalisation (Faces) Centre to have a synthetic "Beta" face fitted so that she will blend in with the community."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

seen these all over fb like a virus.

when people post the comment "heres my no make up selfie, i donated"
    are they actually doanting cash or do they somehow feel that the selfie is a donation on its own? please tell me its the former.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

copeyhagen wrote: »
    seen these all over fb like a virus.

when people post the comment "heres my no make up selfie, i donated"
    are they actually doanting cash or do they somehow feel that the selfie is a donation on its own? please tell me its the former.

its the former, that how the over €550,000 has been raised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Selfies in general irritate me. The latest trend is just more narcissism dressed up in philanthropy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

geeky wrote: »
    Selfies in general irritate me. The latest trend is just more narcissism dressed up in philanthropy.

Glad you could add a fresh, new argument to the debate. Thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Narcissism and philanthropy? I had to Google those words.

I see your point, which is probably true in a lot of cases, but much money has been raised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Obliq wrote: »
    Excellent post czechlin! ^^that's exactly why I stopped too.

This is the book I was thinking of in my last post, if anyone interested. It's very 1984 like, a dystopian fantasy, but I loved it. Very disturbing :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_Justice

"A young woman named Jael 97, who has been reported to the Ministry of Facial Justice for being "facially over privileged" and causing discontent among other women, approaches the Equalisation (Faces) Centre to have a synthetic "Beta" face fitted so that she will blend in with the community.."

Ah jesus, I've got read this :eek: :D

Narcissism and philanthropy? I had to Google those words.

I see your point, which is probably true in a lot of cases, but much money has been raised.

Y'know, this thread is really interesting - we've all covered a lot of this already if you would go back and have a bit of an aul read?

About 15 pages back or so. Ya don't have to start at the beginning or anything.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Obliq wrote: »
    Y'know, this thread is really interesting - we've all covered a lot of this already if you would go back and have a bit of an aul read?

About 15 pages back or so. Ya don't have to start at the beginning or anything.....

Im sorry.

Im sorry.

Why?! I'm not having a go at you - just suggesting that this thread doesn't need to start all over again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

wprathead wrote: »
    Fully agree sinead, seems like "FB Like Whoreing" at its worst

Who isn't "aware" of Cancer ffs?

Just saw this raised 2mil
    Whatever about my initial reaction that is fantastic

Still stand by that it is "Like Whoring" but who cares, if raises money that is main thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Putting on make up for a natural look is like ****ing for virginity.

This is exactly what I dont understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Well, putting on make up then that makes you look well, but makes you look like you're not wearing any. You must surely know women who would wear make up and it's hard to tell they're wearing any. I know plenty. They wear it so their skin looks fresh and to cover up blemishes, take the tired look off their eyes, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Well, putting on make up then that makes you look well, but makes you look like you're not wearing any. You must surely know women who would wear make up and it's hard to tell they're wearing any. I know plenty. They wear it so their skin looks fresh and to cover up blemishes, take the tired look off their eyes, that sort of thing.

Youve already said that you would prefer the missus the wear make up all the time like she was on a night out. Perhaps you are desensitied, but you can always see the make up. Do you think you wouldn't notice such make up on a man?

Y'know, in all honesty, for all that I bang on about insecurities and how even the least make up is basically a cover up job on (as Czarcasm put it) the tired and blotchy look, I will fully admit to not being fully natural looking. If I was, my eyebrows would be hitting my eyelashes and I'd have a full on hairy chin/tash.

I get quite annoyed with myself for my own double standards, but it doesn't take away from the fact that young girls are RELENTLESSLY taught that looking the same as everyone else is something to strive for (young boys too, but they haven't the same tools being marketed to them - no such thing as a "free" lipstick or other face paint in a boy's mag)

Youve already said that you would prefer the missus the wear make up all the time like she was on a night out. Perhaps you are desensitied, but you can always see the make up. Do you think you wouldn't notice such make up on a man?

I think we're all desensitised. Imagine the SENSATION it would cause if Kylie (for example) appeared on The Voice, sans slap, hairy legged with a dark shadow over her upper lip? None of us are blame free for perpetuating this idealism IMO :o

Ah I'd notice make-up alright, but what I mean is that it's not so obvious the person is wearing make up. I used wear concealer myself when I had the blackheads and I had to stop because as bad as the blackheads were, the concealer looked even worse and was MORE noticeable!

Czarcasm wrote: »

I know you were asking Bodice Ripper, but yeah, I know plenty - we all do. That it's the bare minimum of make up doesn't alter the fact that it's because we women are under pressure to hide blemishes (from ourselves, more than anyone else). I look at men around me and their skin tone (blotchy at times, spots, wrinkles, dark shadows) doesn't bother me at all. I've never seen them any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Only used make up once in my life. The day before my Debs I got hit in the head by a falling pipe. My Mum slapped on the concealer so I would look nice for the photos. I could barely tell where the I was injured.
    I can see why some people use make-up for a natural look regardless of the oddity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 blue onion

This debate seems to be just about if somebody takes a photo of themselves, wears make-up or not and volunteers or not for charity.

As far as I know nobody is being forced to watch a photo at gunpoint (in particular an Homer Simpson Make-Up Gun invention)

If people don't like seeing photos there are scroll down/up features and tab features on the Electronic Babbage Machine (I do miss the old mechanical computer)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I got nominated for the no make up shíte yesterday. I've volunteered with and give to the Irish Cancer Society regularly, I don't need some selfie gimmick to make me donate. I posted anyway but instead of putting up a picture where I'd look the same as I always do, I linked to information on how to perform checks and some facts about breast cancer. It's all well and good sending in the €4 (and it has raised a lot which is great) but that's still not raising awareness. Of course everyone is aware of breast cancer but that doesn't mean people will bother to check themselves. I didn't actually donate the €4 simply because my network wouldn't let me but I went into the local ICS shop and bought something today and will be buying a daffodil on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Seen it on facebook, it's absolutely ridiculous, but according to the Guardian today it made like 8 million in just a few days. So who cares, that's a lot of money towards Cancer research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Seen it on facebook, it's absolutely ridiculous, but according to the Guardian today it made like 8 million in just a few days. So who cares, that's a lot of money towards Cancer research.

It's fine now, but reality was it started off with no donations and people just putting up selfies.
    If they had have donated the entire time it was going it'd likely be a lot higher, people started donating when people started giving out about selfies saying they do nothing for charity, why don't you donate instead.

Then it became a thing where people do both. The selfie part of it is just for peoples own ego imo, waiting for the "aw hun you don't need make up" comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yes the pressure to donate changed it from 'awareness' to a donation

€4 stick a picture of whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I don't mind the no-makeup-selfie thing. I mean hell, it's just a picture with no makeup and a donation...

But I liked someone's status yesterday and got this message:
    Oooops! You should not have liked or commented! Now you have to pick one of the 14 below and post to your status. This is the 2014 breast cancer awareness game. Don't be a spoil sport choose you poison, and change your status 1) Damn diarrhea 2) Just used my boobs to get out of a speeding ticket 3) Anyone have a tampon, I'm out 4) How do you get rid of foot fungus 5) Why is nobody around when I'm horny? 6) No toilet paper goodbye socks! 7)Someone offered me a job as a prostitute but I'm hesitant. 8)I think I'm in love with someone what should I do? 9)I've decided 2 stop wearing underwear. 10)I still love my ex. 11)I really don't know how 2 tell anyone and I'm sick of hiding it I'm gay. 12)Guess it was 2 good 2 b true I'm pregnant. 13)Just won $7000 on a scratchy. 14)I've just found out I've been cheated on for the past 5 months. Post with no explanations.

So I should lie to my friends and family in aid of cancer awareness? WTF? There's also no mention of a donation.

That bothered me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

MadsL wrote: »
    You lost me at Facebook...

Facebook, the new not to be seen at, at any cost, so last century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I don't mind the no-makeup-selfie thing. I mean hell, it's just a picture with no makeup and a donation...

So I should lie to my friends and family in aid of cancer awareness? WTF? There's also no mention of a donation.

That bothered me.
    Any idea what this is for? I saw the "I just found out I've been cheated on for the past 5 months" status on a guy's page.

• Advertisement

That bothered me.

Good to see things are returning to normal.

Advertisement