Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Beer Mile Championships 28/6

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If a randomer was thinking of signing up for this, what time would they need to be able to ordinarily run a mile in to make a decent fist of it? And are there any rules regarding the usage of straws?

This is all about the drinking. Last year the leader for the first lap had only started running a few weeks before. You only have to run 400m in one go. However for ref the times last year ranged from 7 minutes to 16 minutes.

You don't have to sign up, just turn up. PM Dr Quirky to be on the invite list

Beer has to be 355ml (12 floz) and at least 5% alcohol (cans or bottles), no straws allowed. Anything less than the levels stated will be ruled 'pussy beer' and you will get slagged off for it as is appropriate :p

You must be prepared to go on the piss in the local pub after the event :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    This is all about the drinking. Last year the leader for the first lap had only started running a few weeks before. You only have to run 400m in one go. However for ref the times last year ranged from 7 minutes to 16 minutes.

You don't have to sign up, just turn up. PM Dr Quirky to be on the invite list

Beer has to be 355ml (12 floz) and at least 5% alcohol (cans or bottles), no straws allowed. Anything less than the levels stated will be ruled 'pussy beer' and you will get slagged off for it as is appropriate :p

You must be prepared to go on the piss in the local pub after the event :p

But you should mention that the first lap leader got lashed out of it later that night by kiely unusual and the eventual winner got lashed out of it by his own hand (all allegedly by the way) ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    But you should mention that the first lap leader got lashed out of it later that night by kiely unusual and the eventual winner got lashed out of it by his own hand (all allegedly by the way) ;)

Not allegedly: My sofa got chundered out of it by Kiely Unusual later that night. If only he had frothed all over it there wouldn't have been much of a problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Can somebody do one of those grids with the available brews and where to get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Can somebody do one of those grids with the available brews and where to get them?
    Moosehead was the cheap and nasty beverage of choice last year. 5% abv, bottles the right size, and if I remember correctly, cheap as piss. Also, it comes as a sixpack, so you've a couple of spare wamer-uppers. Available from Dunnes Stores. Looks like this:

moosehead_6pk__large.jpg

Tastes like this:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZAq0hG1NKD-FeHLAjf6dg3aXsEbZPD117FbB5zI36K72cuRtgfA

• Advertisement

Moosehead was the cheap and nasty beverage of choice last year. 5% abv, bottles the right size, and if I remember correctly, cheap as piss. Also, it comes as a sixpack, so you've a couple of spare wamer-uppers. Available from Dunnes Stores. Looks like this:

Also available in all O'Briens off licenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Where did Moosehead rate on the 'Gassy-ness Scale'? I would think this should be main factor in selecting the beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Has a venue and time been set yet?

Looking forward to doing some training this weekend...

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Where did Moosehead rate on the 'Gassy-ness Scale'? I would think this should be main factor in selecting the beer?
    I think the main factor is more about finding a beer with the right strength and volume! There aren't a lot of choices out there that meet the first two criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I'm out unfortunately, I must attend a much more cultured (and much less fun) event in Cork that weekend. Watch out for RFR, he's a dark horse for this and might be worth a fiver if you were a betting person!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

A 400m has been added to the meet on the new track at Leixlip on the evening before the beer mile. This pretty much destroys any chance of doing proper training now. I think I'll have to settle for ticking the box, receiving my finishers medal, goodie bag and t-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Date 28/6

Place Kilbogget Cinder Beer Mile Stadium

Time: 7:00pm

Rules around beers/ general rules have been posted above. Post race pub visit will happen. Pretty informal guys so just show up w/ your beer, an opener (if needed) and sign in w/ me.

Good luck

(oh and if you're competing don;t be a douche, sort out transport that does;t involve you driving!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sadly I will have to withdraw my attempt to redeem myself after last years pitiful performance due to work commitments. Hopefully some of you guys will last till midnight, if so might catch a few of you at post race refreshments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

drquirky wrote: »
    Date 28/6

Place Kilbogget Cinder Beer Mile Stadium

:)

The theater of puke dreams

Good timing Quirky.
    Looks like we will be in the pub for the second of the days last 16 games at 9pm. The first match is at 5pm.
    Looking likely to be Colombia vs Italy/Uruguay/Costa Rica

Will the pub be the same as last year?
    The Graduate
    Would be equidistant to last years pub from the track. There are also a few pubs in Deansgarnce (The Grange and Bakers corner) which would be good for football, though admittedly they're about 2 miles from the Beer Mile Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Cleanman wrote: »
    I've a bloody wedding down the country that day. Raging:mad:. Same thing last year. And I was really looking forward to this. Is the date set in stone? Who on the committe do I need to talk to in order to change it???:P

blockic wrote: »
    Really disgusted that I will be missing this. Absolutely savage craic last year. Even if we almost did get pneumonia. The after party was epic too!

Would recommend everyone to show up for this! Might even organise my own version.
    cianc wrote: »
    Damnit, clashes with work :(
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Sweet, I dont have to go to the wedding...... Boooo I'll be in the south of France
    TRR wrote: »
    I'm considering doing a Lennox Lewis on it ;) and retiring at the top. Don't think I'll do it this year have to get my ever growing fat arse back into a training regime and beer mile training doesn't help :) Will go along to spectate and go for a few post race beers though!
    would love to do it - but unfortunately its my wedding anniversary and I'm man enough to say that I wouldn't even contemplate saying that I'm going on a beer mile!! :p
    I need as many brownie points as I can get.
    pconn062 wrote: »
    I'm out unfortunately, I must attend a much more cultured (and much less fun) event in Cork that weekend. Watch out for RFR, he's a dark horse for this and might be worth a fiver if you were a betting person!
    ecoli wrote: »
    Sadly I will have to withdraw my attempt to redeem myself after last years pitiful performance due to work commitments. Hopefully some of you guys will last till midnight, if so might catch a few of you at post race refreshments
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    A 400m has been added to the meet on the new track at Leixlip on the evening before the beer mile. This pretty much destroys any chance of doing proper training now. I think I'll have to settle for ticking the box, receiving my finishers medal, goodie bag and t-shirt.

Looks like there are a lot who won't be able to make it next week (myself included). Sorry DrQ, not trying to hijack your event but anyone have an interest in holding a second event later in the summer, say August/September, for those who missed out first time and those who'd fancy another go? We could call it the Dublin championships (with guests!).

Looks like there are a lot who won't be able to make it next week (myself included). Sorry DrQ, not trying to hijack your event but anyone have an interest in holding a second event later in the summer, say August/September, for those who missed out first time and those who'd fancy another go? We could call it the Dublin championships (with guests!).

Oh I'll be there. Just not in peak beer mile shape.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Oh I'll be there. Just not in peak beer mile shape.

i know - I added you to the list because you've already started the sandbagging for next week;) Also, knowing how competitive you are, you'll be sickened if you don't pb and you'll be looking for another opportunity!

i know - I added you to the list because you've already started the sandbagging for next week;) Also, knowing how competitive you are, you'll be sickened if you don't pb and you'll be looking for another opportunity!

Haha, you're right there.

Sounds like you're stepping up as race director! Good man! No point in planning another race until this one has at least been run though.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you're stepping up as race director! Good man! No point in planning another race until this one has at least been run though.

I'm simply scoping out the level of interest before delegating responsibility to a suitabily qualified person:D Plus I've no intention of going AWOL for two months before the event so I'd be completely i'll prepared.;)

My post was probably a little premature alright but no harm seeing who is interested. I'll start up a new thread after the main event, if appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Time: 7:00pm

Yes! I can make it (thought it was on earlier, work conflict avoided).

Anyone else coming from the Castleknock area and want to share a taxi? I won't be able to hit the road until 6pm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

cianc wrote: »
    Yes! I can make it (thought it was on earlier, work conflict avoided).

Anyone else coming from the Castleknock area and want to share a taxi? I won't be able to hit the road until 6pm though.

Hey, Cian - if possible get the luas.

I had grand plans to share a taxi home with 2 people last year, but ended up on my ownsome and €60 lighter :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good interest on this:

Just to clarify- no need to register, just come on down to Kilbogget on the night!

I would love to hit a pub a bit closer to town as that place we went last year was a bit far for many of the participants- could we "recovery jog" 3 or 4 miles after to a more central pub?

Good interest on this:

Just to clarify- no need to register, just come on down to Kilbogget on the night!

I would love to hit a pub a bit closer to town as that place we went last year was a bit far for many of the participants- could we "recovery jog" 3 or 4 miles after to a more central pub?

If we jog 2 miles after the race to Bakers corner there's a 46a (d'Laoghaire to Phoenix Park) and a 75 (D'Laoghaire to Tallaght) stop outside the pub. Last bus to town 23:30 https://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/46a-2/
    Last bus to tallaght 23:10 https://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/46a-2//

Yes the national beer mile stadium is ****e for post race transport.

Don't mean to mess up logistics but would Lucan track not be better? Them jump onto 25a and into the city centre.

Alternatively, how about hitting the polo grounds in the Phoenix park followed by a post race piss up in Ryan's? Ill happily measure the mile out!

Lucan? LOL!!!
    There is a Luas and a very regular bus (145) straight into city centre from the Beermile stadium. Much better served by Public transport than the lucan track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

TRR wrote: »
    Yes the national beer mile stadium is ****e for post race transport.

Don't mean to mess up logistics but would Lucan track not be better? Them jump onto 25a and into the city centre.

Alternatively, how about hitting the polo grounds in the Phoenix park followed by a post race piss up in Ryan's? Ill happily measure the mile out!

You can just get the 145 from right outside the park. 2-3 minute walk. Straight into town. :confused:

You can just get the 145 from right outside the park. 2-3 minute walk. Straight into town. :confused:

Grand. Sorry must have missed that above.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Lucan? LOL!!!
    There is a Luas and a very regular bus (145) straight into city centre from the Beermile stadium. Much better served by Public transport than the lucan track.

Thanks meno. If I'm standing around waiting on public transport I now have someone to vent my anger at!

Advertisement