Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Beer Mile Championships 28/6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

menoscemo wrote: »
    Very quiet on here. Just over a month to go now. People should be at their peak of training by this stage, taper starts in a few weeks.

I have upped my beer consumption massively over the 6 weeks. Hoping that base will see me through on the big night.

How's it going for everyone?

Plenty of beer, plenty of miles, just haven't been combining them yet. Have you got a beer of choice lined up for this year's extravaganza, Meno? Or is that classified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Killerz wrote: »
    Plenty of beer, plenty of miles, just haven't been combining them yet. Have you got a beer of choice lined up for this year's extravaganza, Meno? Or is that classified?

Not a lot of choice out there if you want to be fully compliant with the kingston rules :D. I am thinking of just going with the moosehead. Another option would be Brooklyn Lager but it seems to nice and too expensive for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

At the moment I am in phase 1 of beer mile training: building up running fitness, speed, strength and endurance. I'm throwing in a few 200m and 400m races to test myself over the non-drinking disciplines to see how I handle the racing environment. Then a week before the big day I will build up some base mileage by going out on a night out, followed by a week of specific training to have me in tip-top race shape.

This 400m lark really is only a means to an end. That end being the beer mile and a tilt at a National Title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    Not a lot of choice out there if you want to be fully compliant with the kingston rules :D. I am thinking of just going with the moosehead. Another option would be Brooklyn Lager but it seems to nice and too expensive for purpose.

www.frothybeard.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Looking like I may still be free for this. Just thinking there (dangerous, I know!) Does anyone reckon there's any merit in having a very slow pre-race warm-up beer? It might help settle the nerves (and stomach).

Not a joke question by the way! Fail to prepare, prepare to blah blah......and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Looking like I may still be free for this. Just thinking there (dangerous, I know!) Does anyone reckon there's any merit in having a very slow pre-race warm-up beer? It might help settle the nerves (and stomach).

Not a joke question by the way! Fail to prepare, prepare to blah blah......and all that

A slow beer followed by 6 x 20 second controlled slurps.

A slow beer followed by 6 x 20 second controlled slurps.

Beer strides.....I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

in all seriousness, the less beer in your stomach before you start the better!

If you end up getting sick (even 'frothing' :) ) can end up in a penalty lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmmm yeh tried that last year, cant say if it helped or hindered my beermile, but it left me drunker than I should have been so it was a win win!

Warm up beers is a bad call. You want to have your stomach as empty as is possible so you can fit 1.42 litres in the space of 6-10 mins. That means no eating for about 3 hours before, and minimal water, just enough to keep relatively hydrated.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Warm up beers is a bad call. You want to have your stomach as empty as is possible so you can fit 1.42 litres in the space of 6-10 mins. That means no eating for about 3 hours before, and minimal water, just enough to keep relatively hydrated.

Sensible advice. Think the trick might be not to go out hard on the first beer lap. Not sure though, might be fun to go out hard and cling on for dear life!! Definitely going to do one training session though using beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

TRR wrote: »
    I'm considering doing a Lennox Lewis on it ;) and retiring at the top. Don't think I'll do it this year have to get my ever growing fat arse back into a training regime and beer mile training doesn't help :) Will go along to spectate and go for a few post race beers though!
    Ah pussy.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

morceli wrote: »
    Ah pussy.....

Your taunts won't get me out of retirement!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ah pussy.....

He knows he's not in the shape to retain so taking the easy option.

Complete cop out! Throwing away a chance at back to back national titles! That would have been hall of fame stuff...

Ah pussy.....
    Your taunts won't get me out of retirement!

Maybe, but it made you think of something not running related ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Any truth in the rumour that TRR is setting up a competing Irish Eating Mile Championship?
    (That's a Cake-eating mile, digger)

RayCun wrote: »
    Any truth in the rumour that TRR is setting up a competing Irish Eating Mile Championship?
    (That's a Cake-eating mile, digger)

The rumors of my fatness have been greatly exaggerated!

The rumors of my fatness have been greatly exaggerated!

I can vouch for that,,, He's still only a slip of a lad, well, apart from his actual lad ;)

Jokes aside, what's the plan for this event? We are just over 3 weeks out from the big day.

Location?
    Time?
    Post race refreshments location?
    Etc etc.

Is there a spread afterwards?!

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Jokes aside, what's the plan for this event? We are just over 3 weeks out from the big day.

Location?
    Time?
    Post race refreshments location?
    Etc etc.

The organiser has gone AWOL on holidays. There are rumours he has personally flown to the US to persuade nick symmonds to come over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Just something to factor into the mix.... World cup game with probably Italy, England or Uruguay in it kicking off at 9 that eve.... Not to mention potential Brazilv Holland at 5!

Killerz wrote: »
    Just something to factor into the mix.... World cup game with probably Italy, England or Uruguay in it kicking off at 9 that eve.... Not to mention potential Brazilv Holland at 5!

Afternoon start and then to the pub for 5pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Only games that matter are USA ones.

6:30 PM start.

Shenganah (sp? Lol lol)

Same rules as last year.

Sorry for lax organizing lads- have a new baby, am moving and have benn on holiday - will post more in the next couple days

Oh and TRR is a pussy for not defending his title ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

drquirky wrote: »
    Only games that matter are USA ones.

Do ye yanks play soccerball??? :D

Looking forward to this now. What was the winning time last year? Probably don't have a hope of getting anywhere near it anyway. My hangover proves that I am willing to put in the hard beers miles so watch out everyone! :)

I am willing to put in the hard beers miles so watch out everyone! :)

Seeing you (to my surprise) on the way home from work last night I am calling your bluff, ya were home early (just trying to psyche people out) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Have also put word out to the Jumping the Gun lads so never know who could show!!

Tried desperately for Symmonds and Harris but alas - flotrack beat me to it!

ecoli wrote: »
    Seeing you (to my surprise) on the way home from work last night I am calling your bluff, ya were home early (just trying to psyche people out) :P

Haha! Did you really see me? God, I was in an awful state. You'll beat me over a 'dry' mile, no doubt but factor in the beer and who knows!

Let the trash talk begin.........!!

• Advertisement

Haha! Did you really see me? God, I was in an awful state. You'll beat me over a 'dry' mile, no doubt but factor in the beer and who knows!

Let the trash talk begin.........!!

Dunno how I spotted it was you to be honest. Haha dunno I am just after a 7 day training stint for this (although that backfired last year)

Still on the fence for this on as I have to assess current fitness and see whether a monk like approach is needed to undo the damage of the last week for the sake of DCM :D

Advertisement