Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Beer Mile Championships 28/6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Really disgusted that I will be missing this. Absolutely savage craic last year. Even if we almost did get pneumonia. The after party was epic too!

Would recommend everyone to show up for this! Might even organise my own version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I'd love to do this if I could. Just not sure what way I'm fixed on that date yet. When do I need to sign up by?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Damnit, clashes with work :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

cianc wrote: »
    Damnit, clashes with work :(

Ring in sick :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I presume this will be an evening event? I'd planned doing the 5 mile up in the park that morning,

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    I presume this will be an evening event? I'd planned doing the 5 mile up in the park that morning,

Crap same here. Yeah should be an evening event all right.

DQ, any indication how many PMs you have received so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sweet, I dont have to go to the wedding...... Boooo I'll be in the south of France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

adrian522 wrote: »

I shudder to think how this would end up if we didn't start it in the evening:eek:. It was bad enough last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

IIt was bad enough last time.

How bad was it the last time? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

blockic wrote: »
    How bad was it the last time? ;)

Very, very, very bad! :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Very, very, very bad! :eek:.

True, he found himself covered in yellow feathers before the night was out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

James Nielsen may have complicated things for Nick Symmonds’ Beer Mile World Record attempt. On Sunday, the California Runners founder and former UC San Diego runner ran the world’s first sub-four minute beer mile for a new World Record.

Should say sub-five minute obviously - are those cans full size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Beat me to it. Surely pending the dope testing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Should say sub-five minute obviously - are those cans full size?

Can't see that being ratified. He didn't tip the first can over his head. Also I wonder about the size of the cans too.

Josh Harris goes in the Autumn Classic at Melbourne Uni this Sat, in search of that sub 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Wow. Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    are those cans full size?
    Looks like US 12fl oz (or 354.8ml), which is in accordance with the Beer mile rules, so certainly looks legit.

Agree with KC here never seen a can under 12 fl oz in the US. It's a bit soulless though - no race, just the wife videoing it? Still amazing run

drquirky wrote: »
    Agree with KC here never seen a can under 12 fl oz in the US. It's a bit soulless though - no race, just the wife videoing it? Still amazing run

Amazing that after going to the effort of organising everything, doing his scientific research, he forgot to tip the first can over his head. That's basic stuff. He won't get the record because of that. Same thing happened to Harris when he ran 5:02. Didn't tip the bottles, no ratification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

There is a claim that the first sub 5 has been run.

He talks for 3:23 then it starts. Some talk on letsrun about the first beer not being sjown to be empty.

There is a claim that the first sub 5 has been run.

He talks for 3:23 then it starts. Some talk on letsrun about the first beer not being sjown to be empty.

Hahaha tbb- a little late?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

As said, didn't tip first one over his head.
    Can opening sounded a bit 'hollow' I bet he partially opened then to expel gas.
    He probably squeezed half contents out before placing on table.
    Dubious camera work, could have had a cheeky beer froth puke down the back end and nobody would know. No zoom.
    One man and his wife, I wouldn't believe either of them :D

I love my conspiracy theories :D:D

#1 JH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

drquirky wrote: »
    Hahaha tbb- a little late?

Just saw other posts now. Jaysus...must have been tired

For those training for the beer mile, and interview with James Nielsen....

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/interview-with-beer-mile-world-record-holder

There's a couple of training tips there including training with cola and the beer temperature to release more CO2 upon opening :)

martyboy48 wrote: »
    For those training for the beer mile, and interview with James Nielsen....

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/interview-with-beer-mile-world-record-holder

There's a couple of training tips there including training with cola and the beer temperature to release more CO2 upon opening :)

Stern words by one guy:
    You can clearly hear that the beer cans are NOT full and have been tampered with. The 2nd beer was consumed in 3.68 seconds, impossible; you can't get that amount of liquid out of the can and down your throat in that amount of time, especially when breathing hard. You would need a straw or puncture the can with a key and then "shotgun" the beer. All four beer cans sound 90% empty, ITS SO OBVIOUS! There is no pressure being released when they are opened. If you have ever "shot gunned" a beer by using a key to puncture the can, drink the beer and then open the top of the can, THAT IS THE SOUND IN THIS VIDEO. There is no spillage, not even a single drop when he puts it over his head. There is not even a drop that comes from opening the beer can, BECAUSE IT IS OBVIOUSLY EMPTY. For the people who actually believe this video have clearly never tried it, seen someone run and drink beer and/or even "shot gunned" a beer. I am embarrassed for James to clearly cheat like this and self-proclaim himself as the world record holder with no judges, non-biased by standers and doing it with empty beer cans.
    This is what it actually looks like when you ARE ACTUALLY DRINKING BEER and NOT CHEATING.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyTTG2DFZok
    NOTICE HOW HARD IT IS, THAT THE BEERS CANS ARE FULL, THE SOUNDS THEY MAKE WHEN OPENED AND THE DROPS OF BEER BEING SPILT.

No one likes a cheater.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Stern words by one guy:

I swear I didn't write that..... But I could have :D
    As I stated in the other thread I call BS on this record, but it might but good as a motivational tool for our Joshie in tha Autumn classic....

Yes, I am claiming JH as a boards rep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Re Symmonds in YouTube clip above (and I'm no expert) but isn't he supposed to invert the empty can over his head on finishing each can?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

I'm in for this year again should be a bit of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Very quiet on here. Just over a month to go now. People should be at their peak of training by this stage, taper starts in a few weeks.

I have upped my beer consumption massively over the 6 weeks. Hoping that base will see me through on the big night.

How's it going for everyone?

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Very quiet on here. Just over a month to go now. People should be at their peak of training by this stage, taper starts in a few weeks.

I have upped my beer consumption massively over the 6 weeks. Hoping that base will see me through on the big night.

How's it going for everyone?

I'm considering doing a Lennox Lewis on it ;) and retiring at the top. Don't think I'll do it this year have to get my ever growing fat arse back into a training regime and beer mile training doesn't help :) Will go along to spectate and go for a few post race beers though!

Advertisement