Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Beer Mile Championships 28/6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

cianc wrote: »
    I'm confirmed.

bio: Average runner, average beer drinker. Cian carries the hopes and dreams of average people everywhere on his shoulders.

Are you drinking an average beer? :)

Have fun on Sat boys and girls, coincides with my wedding anniversary, so I'll need to keep the visa for another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Are you drinking an average beer? :)

Have fun on Sat boys and girls, coincides with my wedding anniversary, so I'll need to keep the visa for another time.

Middlebrau.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Was hoping to make it to this, but alas, it wasn't to be.

That Dublin Beer Mile later in the summer is a solid call though, you guys can just use this Saturday as a warm up for when ye face me at the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Any of the ladies around here signing up??

I'd love to do it but can't run fast or drink beer fast (or slow for that matter) so pretty pointless.
    Good luck to all and looking forward to the race report and video.
    I know who my money's on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

There are two types of runner: Those that turn up and run the beer mile, and those that make excuses. Making excuses is habit forming. If you're not going to make it to the beer mile, you should probably give up running now and try something that requires less commitment, like jigsaws, or cycling <shudder>. This is the pinnacle of our sport. For those 10 minutes (15 for you Ososlo) you have an opportunity to toe the line with the very best beer-milers that this country has to offer... Olympians of our chosen sport. This chance may never come around again. Grasp it with both hands... (one for the bottle opener, and one for the bottle). Be a beer miler....

• Advertisement

There are two types of runner: Those that turn up and run the beer mile, and those that make excuses. Making excuses is habit forming. If you're not going to make it to the beer mile, you should probably give up running now and try something that requires less commitment, like jigsaws, or cycling <shudder>. This is the pinnacle of our sport. For those 10 minutes (15 for you Ososlo) you have an opportunity to toe the line with the very best beer-milers that this country has to offer... Olympians of our chosen sport. This chance may never come around again. Grasp it with both hands... (one for the bottle opener, and one for the bottle). Be a beer miler....

15! You joking! It'd take me that long to drink the first bottle:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ososlo wrote: »
    I'd love to do it but can't run fast or drink beer fast (or slow for that matter) so pretty pointless.
    Good luck to all and looking forward to the race report and video.
    I know who my money's on:)

With no other female representation in the race; this is your opportunity to be crowned a national champion!! Yes there is a trophy which CL is relinquishing.

menoscemo wrote: »
    With no other female representation in the race; this is your opportunity to be crowned a national champion!! Yes there is a trophy which CL is relinquishing.

And along with the national title, there'd be national humiliation.
    You just don't wanna come last!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

And along with the national title, there'd be national humiliation.
    You just don't wanna come last!

Pulling out because you can't make it is understandable. Pulling out because you are not prepared and afraid of coming last is silly. This is not exactly the Olympics.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Pulling out because you can't make it is understandable. Pulling out because you are not prepared and afraid of coming last is silly. This is not exactly the Olympics.

Was never in to start with!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Ososlo- I'd bet the farm u'd beat Meno :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

This race deserves a table so that's what it's getting.

Username|Target time|Actual Time
    dublin runner|7.59|
    ||
    ||

I have no idea why I picked the time I did. I am in excellent drinking form after last weekends exploits but the actual running part could pose an issue or two :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Anyone I could get a lift from?Give you a free beer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

It is kind of the Olympics of beer mileing though.

Ososlo if you just want to come along in a cheer leaders outfit that would be ok. Pom poms optional but bring your bong bongs :) (it's only a matter of time before I get a ban for sexual harassment :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

MOD NOTE - Dear TRR - Like your style.

TRR wrote: »

Ososlo if you just want to come along in a cheer leaders outfit that would be ok. Pom poms optional but bring your bong bongs :) (it's only a matter of time before I get a ban for sexual harassment :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sure it's the 1 year anniversary...that faithful night last year.. OsoKielyUnusual
    :D they will have to reunite to relive good times.

Bring a plastic bag for meno's place this year Kiely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

It's beginning to look a lot like beer mile weather.....

**UPDATED**

I think I'll add a mini bio and betting odds. Apologies to those I don't know but if soembody else could fill in the missing info that would be great

Irish national beer mile starters
    TRR odds 8/1 for the win. The defending champion. Put in solid training last year but hasn't shown the same drive or intensity this year. Still a good looking bastard though and will put in a respectable effort.

Meno: odds 100/1 for the win, 10/1 to actually finish. 2/1 the dudes in the caravans to take him out the back field, shoot him and turn him into glue. Disaster last year, puked frothed all over the national beer mile stadium. Hammered home the point that the Brits can't handle their booze

Chivito: odds 6/1 for the win. A seasoned international campaigner. Will outkick most if it's left to a sprint finish but may have problems adjusting to the silky surface of the national beer mile stadium. Seems preoccupied with screw cap vs can. May have taken the eye off the ball.

Krusty: odds 4/1 for the win. Second place last year. Has been working on his track skills this year but has stayed loyal to his swilling heritage. Favourite to take the title unless he turns up with an ethically brewed organic craft beer that is 11% in volume.

Dublin_runner: odds 8/1. Enthusiastic new kid on the block. Has been talking the talk and news from his yard is that he has been putting in some decent training. His coach may pace him, unless it clashes with one of the 3 races he is running this weekend.

shels4ever: odds 12/1 for the win. A solid performance last year. Steady laps and even steadier swilling. Has done fcuk all running wise the last 12 months and instead has concentrated on his alcohol threshold. Slight possibility this horse may not get out of the traps and just sit on his hole swilling his beers before the start line.

kielyunusual: odds 6/1 for the win. Solid performance (on the track) last year. Finished 4th overall, has been working on his track skills this year so should have an extra finishing kick. KielyUnusual version 2014 comes with a built in puke bag so no need to worry about your furniture if you bring him home!

thirstywork2: odds 8/1 for the win. The man with the facebook profile picture a paedophile would be happy with. Solid runner and a solid drinker but form over the combined event is unknown. A very real possibility he could get injured on lap 1, make a comeback on lap 2 and get injured again on lap 3 before running all the way home to Ashtwon. Has graciously offered to supply amphibian king vounchers for first 20 finishers.

Clear Thinking: odds for the win 25/1. No form but may be worth an each way bet. Has considered running pace and drinking pace so is clearly a man with a plan.

Timmaay: odds 10/1 for the win . A seasoned campaigner. Use to compete regularly on the old National beer mile stadium in Belfield. Didn't have a good 2013 but you can never rule out an experienced swiller. Also has some track teckers so could be a dangerous prospect over the final 400 metres.

Cianc: odds 12/1 for the win. No known form so a bit of an outside bet. Has been ramping up his running of late but the organisers haven't been able to ascertain his commitment to the swilling. A lover of alternative medicine and non peer reviewed science, he will be eating tiger penis washed down with a litre of bull semen prerace to give him that extra edge.

Killerz: odds 10/1 for the win. Solid performance in 2013. Has been doing longer events of late so may be missing the vital track speed needed to bang out an 80 second final lap when ones belly is full of beer. Has still yet to declare his race colours for the day. Pink, purple or lime green t-shirt are all in the mix. Regardless of his final decision it will be camp

Yaboya: unknown (I'm off to read his log now ;))

Weetabix: unknown

Tension and anticipation is building. Here is the Beer national anthem to get you in the mood!

With this small a field, thinking of running myself! Anyone have a problem w all wearing a watch and getting their own times?

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    With this small a field, thinking of running myself! Anyone have a problem w all wearing a watch and getting their own times?

not at all

drquirky: odds 100/1 for the win. This angry keyboard warrior has good running teckers but his ability to swill could be his downfall! Real possibility he could die on lap 3 or alternatively kill someone in an angry outburst. Has been training exclusively with enduro the last week. Will be trying out their highly controversial beer mileing on empty technique.

JumpingtheGun mentioned the race in a podcast a couple of weeks ago. Any progress on that? Will they be down on Saturday?

JumpingtheGun mentioned the race in a podcast a couple of weeks ago. Any progress on that? Will they be down on Saturday?

No communication back to me after a couple of FB messages but I don't know the lads personally- anyone who does feel free to ask em to come if they're interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

There's a 145 bus that will leave you there about 6.40.

The 145 goes back at 8.05.

blockic wrote: »
    Sure it's the 1 year anniversary...that faithful night last year.. OsoKielyUnusual
    :D they will have to reunite to relive good times.

Considering I wasn't even there, that would be highly unusual!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Considering I wasn't even there, that would be highly unusual!

I tend to combine Boards nights out into one! :pac: ;)

No communication back to me after a couple of FB messages but I don't know the lads personally- anyone who does feel free to ask em to come if they're interested!

I've contacted them now about it so hopefully they'll get involved.

I've thrown it up on The Running Review facebook page also. It's all about promotion at this stage. Not all of the athletics community read boards, and even less would read the events page.

There's a 145 bus that will leave you there about 6.40.

The 145 goes back at 8.05.

So what's the definitive plan for post race drinks? Staying close by like last year or heading back into the city. I'm easy either way. Getting home would be easier and cheaper from the city for me personally though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

So what's the definitive plan for post race drinks? Staying close by like last year or heading back into the city. I'm easy either way. Getting home would be easier and cheaper from the city for me personally though!

+1 (if I make it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

yaboya1 wrote: »
    +1 (if I make it)

How's about heading in the 145 into Donnybrook afterwards? Few decent bars there to watch the football

Advertisement