Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Beer Mile Championships 28/6

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

TBH I'd love to do the PP option....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Guys, shocking revelations coming out. I was in Molloys and Moosehead is only 350ml, coming in 5ml short of Kingston Rules criteria.

I'm going for James Boags Premium Lager. 375ml, 5% and twist off which more than makes up for the time lost on the extra 20ml above the criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Guys, shocking revelations coming out. I was in Molloys and Moosehead is only 350ml, coming in 5ml short of Kingston Rules criteria.

I'm going for James Boags Premium Lager. 375ml, 5% and twist off which more than makes up for the time lost on the extra 20ml above the criteria.

Haha, I think we had this conversation last year. Apparently it is also listed as being 12 Floz which passes it by kinstown rules, but if you want I am happy to join you in calling it 'pussy beer'

I am definitely going with Brooklyn lager. 355ml and 5.2% Alcohol.

My only decision is whether to go with cans or bottles....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I'm going for James Boags Premium Lager. 375ml, 5% and twist off which more
    5. Competitors must drink canned beer and the cans should not be
    less than 355ml (the standard can volume) or 12oz (the imperial equivalent).
    Bottles may be substituted for cans as long as they are at least
    12 oz (355 ml) in volume.

Moosehead is 12 fl oz. (Canadian beer). This year though, like Meno, I shall be drinking Brooklyn's best (though in my case, Brooklyn Summer ale), which weighs in at 12fl oz, and 5%.
    brook6_4.jpeg

I enjoyed a couple of cans after Dunsaughlin 10k, though the best I could manage was a disappointing 22 seconds. I'm going to have to run a hell of a lot faster than TRR to be in with a chance. That man can swallow! ...Beer.....

By the way, I was at the beer stadium this afternoon for a bit of tempo and there's good news and even better news. The beer track is looking great and has even been freshly painted with lane markers. The even better news: some 'mobile tourists' have moved in, just 200m from the track, so may even join in the festivities on the night. We may have additional incentives to run even faster!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

So who is definitely in for this? I keep saying I'm not going to do it but then change my mind! I'm not good with peer pressure so I think its a given I'm running!

Irish national beer mile starters
    Meno
    Chivito
    Krusty
    Dublin_runner
    TRR

Anyone else travelling/competing?
    Ill make contact with yellow feather to see if she will run again but she may not answer my PMs after I sent her some explicit pictures last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

So who is definitely in for this? I keep saying I'm not going to do it but then change my mind! I'm not good with peer pressure so I think its a given I'm running!

Meno
    Chivito
    Krusty
    Dublin_runner
    TRR
    Yaboya
    Clear Thinking
    Adrien12331(?)
    Weetabix

Thats my list so far- anyone else feel free to add your name in...

I think I'll add a mini bio and betting odds. Apologies to those I don't know but if soembody else could fill in the missing info that would be great ;)

TRR odds 8/1 for the win. The defending champion. Put in solid training last year but hasn't shown the same drive or intensity this year. Still a good looking bastard though and will put in a respectable effort.

Meno: odds 100/1 for the win, 10/1 to actually finish. 2/1 the dudes in the caravans to take him out the back field, shoot him and turn him into glue. Disaster last year, puked frothed all over the national beer mile stadium. Hammered home the point that the Brits can't handle their booze ;)

Chivito: odds 6/1 for the win. A seasoned international campaigner. Will outkick most if it's left to a sprint finish but may have problems adjusting to the silky surface of the national beer mile stadium. Seems preoccupied with screw cap vs can. May have taken the eye off the ball.

Krusty: odds 4/1 for the win. Second place last year. Has been working on his track skills this year but has stayed loyal to his swilling heritage. Favourite to take the title unless he turns up with an ethically brewed organic craft beer that is 11% in volume.

Dublin_runner: odds 8/1. Enthusiastic new kid on the block. Has been talking the talk and news from his yard is that he has been putting in some decent training. His coach may pace him, unless it clashes with one of the 3 races he is running this weekend.

Yaboya: unknown
    Clear Thinking: unknown
    Adrien12331(?): unknown
    Weetabix: unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Anyone need a nuns habit and a pair of shades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Decide to make a return for one night only , basically a year with no running and the most active I've been is a few cycles in the mountain.
    Think a top 6 finish again this year would be handy enough with all the light weight drinkers on this board. Only problem not sure I can run a mile non stop at the moment .Thankfully there is a beer break ever 400.
    Looking back the last race I actually ran was the beer mile 2013 so seems it's my new event.

• Advertisement

I think I'll add a mini bio and betting odds. Apologies to those I don't know but if soembody else could fill in the missing info that would be great ;)

TRR odds 8/1 for the win. The defending champion. Put in solid training last year but hasn't shown the same drive or intensity this year. Still a good looking bastard though and will put in a respectable effort.

Meno: odds 100/1 for the win, 10/1 to actually finish. 2/1 the dudes in the caravans to take him out the back field, shoot him and turn him into glue. Disaster last year, puked frothed all over the national beer mile stadium. Hammered home the point that the Brits can't handle their booze ;)

Chivito: odds 6/1 for the win. A seasoned international campaigner. Will outkick most if it's left to a sprint finish but may have problems adjusting to the silky surface of the national beer mile stadium. Seems preoccupied with screw cap vs can. May have taken the eye off the ball.

Krusty: odds 4/1 for the win. Second place last year. Has been working on his track skills this year but has stayed loyal to his swilling heritage. Favourite to take the title unless he turns up with an ethically brewed organic craft beer that is 11% in volume.

Dublin_runner: odds 8/1. Enthusiastic new kid on the block. Has been talking the talk and news from his yard is that he has been putting in some decent training. His coach may pace him, unless it clashes with one of the 3 races he is running this weekend.

shels4ever: odds 12/1 for the win. A solid performance last year. Steady laps and even steadier swilling. Has done fcuk all running wise the last 12 months and instead has concentrated on his alcohol threshold. Slight possibility this horse may not get out of the traps and just sit on his hole swilling his beers before the start line.

Yaboya: unknown
    Clear Thinking: unknown
    Weetabix: unknown

drquirky wrote: »

Meno
    Chivito
    Krusty
    Dublin_runner
    TRR
    Yaboya
    Clear Thinking
    Adrien12331(?)
    Weetabix

Hope we get more than this....Dr Q you not running yourself?
    I think Killerz is going too?

P.S. why is digger not on the list, afaik he is going can we not apply some peer pressure on him? I want my revenge!!

P.S. After initial enthusiasm Gary O'Hanlon is out of the race.

Rumour has it he heard TRR was coming out of retirement and so chickened off to do the Waterford Marathon instead :pac: What a pathetic excuse!! :rolleyes:

Thirstywork2 however was telling me on saturday that he intends on making an appearance....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess this is me as I had registered interest. Due to getting both parts of my username wrong I guess I'm out.

That and I have to trek to Tullamore again on saturday night !

Best of luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

At the mo I'm 530 on a good day and a very poor drinker. No idea if i can even stomach beers 3 & 4! Will the track take spikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

OK right throw my name in the hat also. I was one of the pre race favourites last yr I think, however my pre race preparation was almost non existent, my only consolation was that luke did even worse than me and Dom dnf'd ha! I'll up my game this yr and spend the week doing reps and knocking back cans in the wicklow fields ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

drquirky wrote: »

Meno
    Chivito
    Krusty
    Dublin_runner
    TRR
    Yaboya
    Clear Thinking
    Adrien12331(?)
    Weetabix

Afraid I'm not going to be able to make it, I would have been dead last for the running but think I may have made up a place or 2 drinking, unfortunately I will have to wait until next year to find out.

At the mo I'm 530 on a good day and a very poor drinker. No idea if i can even stomach beers 3 & 4! Will the track take spikes?
    There's only one way to find out! .... and no. no spikes. They'd risk the delicate surface of the track, potentially causing immeasurable damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

If I was anywhere in the country I'd go to Dublin for this. An unmissable event and shocked to see the numbers after such a great event last year.

Get yere asses in gear and get to this race! Is the torrential rain signed up this year? Would be a great loss to the event if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

blockic wrote: »
    If I was anywhere in the country I'd go to Dublin for this. An unmissable event and shocked to see the numbers after such a great event last year.

Get yere asses in gear and get to this race! Is the torrential rain signed up this year? Would be a great loss to the event if not.

Could always post the picture of CL in her race gear or YF in her post race gear :P

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hope we get more than this....Dr Q you not running yourself?
    I think Killerz is going too?

P.S. why is digger not on the list, afaik he is going can we not apply some peer pressure on him? I want my revenge!!

What about Kieley?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

TRR wrote: »
    What about Kieley?

And oregano? Showed up late last yr but would have been in the running otherwise!

TRR wrote: »
    What about Kieley?

I think he is doing it??

I am really afraid of coming last if there is not a larger turnout :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

5 days out, I think it's time for heavy promotion of the event. Maybe move the thread to the main forum? Are the JumpingtheGun guys onboard?

Had my first training session this evening. Have a 200m race tomorrow so kept it easy enough. Just did 2 x James Boags with 60 seconds recovery. Times were 30 and 34. Very pleased with how I downed that second beer. Easily the best I have felt during a second rep of a non-running skulling session.

I plan to do 3 x James Boags off 60 secs tomorrow evening after my race. Then after that there will be no more sessions as I have a 400m race on Friday. Going into this event a bit light on training compared to previous attempts but it's better than nothing.

Even though it's 20ml more than required, I'm finding the James Boags is sliding down well.

Time to start updating training sessions on here folks.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think he is doing it??

I am really afraid of coming last if there is not a larger turnout :o

Ha ha. If I were you I'd be more concerned with finishing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Hit the cinder last weekend and got chased around by 2 of the new younger residents. The lane markings are nicely timed had assumed KC had arranged them for ye all. Can only imagine the locals enthusiasm when ye all arrive at the weekend :) out of the country for this one but will follow with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Once again this sounds like it's gonna be a good one. If anyone has any chance of going to it ye should deffo go.
    I have stuff on and with the distance to travel it's a no go for me this year but will be trying for next year.

Hope there's some footage of it to, always good to see someone struggle with the last beer and last lap :)

Any of the ladies around here signing up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

or YF in her post race gear :P

Pre or Post Kielygate? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I'll be down on Saturday. I can't let my national 4th place go undefended now. Not as well prepared this year but a good necking session later in the week should see what kind of drinking shape I'm in. If I can get below the 40s, I'd be satisfied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

I'm confirmed.

bio: Average runner, average beer drinker. Cian carries the hopes and dreams of average people everywhere on his shoulders.

Advertisement