Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I give more? The answer is usually yes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant PB. Very well done. Fastest km to finish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic! The unexpected pb's are the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Excellent stuff B - congrats and well done man, love that determination

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great to read that - your in top form recently - long may it continue.
    I reckon sub 18 will happen when you aren't expecting it - don't pressure yourself to attain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Great read and well raced, super time. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congratulations on the PB, really good racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

I reckon sub 18 will happen when you aren't expecting it - don't pressure yourself to attain it.

You've just f*cked it up for him now A :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Duanington wrote: »
    You've just f*cked it up for him now A :pac:

I won’t be putting any expectations on myself to do it DD, yesterday was a bit of a surprise to be truthfully honest with you. I even mapped the route out on Strava this morning in case the Garmin was telling me lies. If sub 18 happens it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

OOnegative wrote: »
    I won’t be putting any expectations on myself to do it DD, yesterday was a bit of a surprise to be truthfully honest with you. I even mapped the route out on Strava this morning in case the Garmin was telling me lies. If sub 18 happens it happens.

Will ye stop all this sub-18 malarkey and let him enjoy the PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

That's a brilliant performance Barry. Another of my pbs beaten. You're really flying of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Strava?...

healy1835 wrote: »
    Strava?...

Missus has a Strava account J so used hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Congratulations on the PB Barry, superb racing and well deserved. Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Brilliant running :) great PB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

All the hard work is paying off B. Delighted for you. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Ah here, super PB...all that cycling paying off :D Well done.
    healy1835 wrote: »
    Strava?...

Baby steps

Once again guys, thanks for all the well wishes since last Sundays race. Massively appreciated as always, this week was a planned down week as kids were off school for the latter half of the week and a new plan starts next week.

Monday 27.5.19

Rest Day

Tuesday 28.5.19

8.05 miles Easy@8.32min/miles in 68mins 43secs

First run since Sunday's 5k and the legs were super responsive, pace here was quicker than i normally would do but i felt great and had to pull the reigns back at times. Loop through the harbour over to Westbroekpark and back home via Scheveningse Bosjes. Great run.

Wednesday 29.5.19

8.30 miles Easy@8.44min/miles in 1hr 12mins 28secs

Shot day at work, home and changed and out the door. Ran towards Kijkduin as i was a lovely sunny afternoon and came back home via Westduinpark and Bosjes Van Poot, pace more sensible on this one and legs in great nick again.

Thursday 30.5.19

Rest Day, long since palnned. Day devoted to the kids seeing we were all off at once for a change.

Friday 31.5.19

12.40 miles Easy@8.23min/miles in 1hr 43mins 53secs

Again another brief day at work and my last visit to Geleenstraat i would say:(:(:(!!

Home and changed and out the gap, ran for https://denhaag.com/en/location/12725/meijendel, beautiful park to run in with endless trails of grass, clay, sand and gravel. Got lost on one occasion but quickly found my way back to my route. Ran this entirely by feel and left the Garmin on time of day only. Felt super strong on this and the miles flew by in the good weather and wonderful surroundings.

Saturday 1.6.19

Rest Day, long hot afternoon delivering mail and the pub won out over a run for first time in a long time:eek::eek::eek:. Done some comprehensive IPA research for skyblue46:P.

Sunday 2.6.19

3.20 miles Tempo@6.35min/miles in 21min 19secs

Aramco Beach Run, entered this in support of the Childrens Hospital who treated our little one excellently earlier in the year when she damaged her leg and ankle. 25 degree heat on the beach at 10.45am starting of, field thinned out straight away. Let two lads off as i was running this as a session and nothing else when i entered it plus previous nights IPA excesses were in effect a bit to.

One of lads pulls up just short of a mile meaning i was now second where i stayed till the end, no desire to chase the winner and paying more attention to some scantily clad ladies on the beach to:D:D:D. Home for second place and quick dip in the North Sea after prize giving.

31.95 miles for the week, start the last 8 weeks of a P&L 10 mile plan tomorrow with a view to bettering my PB at the Mullingar 10 at the end of July. In good nick running wise and looking forward to following a little bit of structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done again...a podium while on a tempo run, you're on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

You're flying at the moment. Long may it last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That’s gas coming 2nd while not even trying to race! :D Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Checking out the ladies on the beach and getting a prize for it! That is the life, B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Cause according to Strava you do zero mileage you do know Strava is the new facetube it’s all happening over there !!!if it’s not on Strava it didn’t happen.

Monday 3.6.19

Rest Day.

Tuesday 4.6.19

9.10 miles General Aerobic@8.21min/miles in 1hr 16mins 01secs.

Having got my weeks wrong when i was jumping in to the remainder of the P&L 10 mile plan, i was still anxious to sample the new paces i would be running from next week on. Ran this entirely from HR off the Garmin, never in any bother, lap around the neighbourhood and home.

Wednesday 5.6.19

w/u, Coopertest, c/d.

Ran the warm up down to the Haag Atletiek track, getting there early hoping to get into the faster 7.45pm test this time but it was full up:mad:. Watched the duration of that in what was a fairly competitive standard around where i was hoping to be. Done another few laps of the track before lining up, figured from surveying the field i would have a bit of a job tonight to be first. Bang on 8.10pm we were let off, settled into 4th with three lads ahead that i figured were the competition. Like to build into my races/sessions than go guns blazing from the start then blowing up, 200m in i took 2nd and 3rd. The leader was good 25m ahead already but i wa conscious of just doing my own thing.

Got into a comfortable pace at 3.35km and slowly closed the gap to the lead, took him just after the second lap, he was breathing hard already and from there on in it was a solo affair once more. First km in 3.35.7, feeling good and strong. Lapping runners but pushing on, second km in 3.32.8 and still in the zone, push a little bit again and its still comfortable, third km in 3.31.6. Up the pace once more and run the last 400m in 1.20.4 for 3,400m over the 12 minutes. 2.12 miles covered in 5.41 pace and 1st place on the test. Was 9th overall out of 81 runners over the evening, thing that i am most pleased about is there was more in the legs at the pace i ran.

Thursday 6.6.19

3.65 miles Recovery@8.56min/miles in 32mins 33secs.

Recovery run around by the harbour and home, legs bit tender from evening before but not bad.

Friday 7.6.19

Rest Day, not planned just things got in the way.

Saturday 8.6.19

10.40 miles Endurance@8.11min/miles in 1hr 25mins 07secs.

Run of two halves, 50/60km winds blowing all day, on the out of Pompstationsweg it was at my back and on occasion nearly took me off my feet, really had to keep and eye on pace. On the way back i was literally stopped on a few occasions from strong gusts the wind was that strong at times.

Sunday 9.6.19

13.10 miles Endurance@7.45min/miles in 1hr 41mins 35secs.

Let the Boss out first to get her 90 mins run in before i headed out, what the difference a day makes!! It was a glorious sunny afternoon here, 18/19 degrees and decided to go same way i went yesterday. I decided to run this at 5 Easy/5 Steady and last 5k at HardSteady in tune with what P&L advises for these Endurance runs. If ever a run went swimmingly well this was it, felt so strong and light on this, true i was leaking sweat like the Exxon Valdez but it never impacted my run. A hugely enjoyable run in the Dutch sun.

43.75 miles for the week, next week i start the last 7 weeks of the P&L plan for sure, down to 76kgs weight wise and under strict instructions not to lose anymore!!

One thing of concern is i have a pain in the middle of my right foot that goes from the sole of my foot up through it to the top of the foot. It doesn't bother me at all running, just walking at times and in the morning. Something i will keep close eye on.

After some discussion with a sub 2.30 marathoner(my uncle), i’ve decided to leave the remainder of the the P&L 10 mile plan. I told him what I was at for past while and how it was working for me. His take was, what i’ve been doing has ran me to a 5k PB, keep up what i’m at and push the long run out with stuff added in.

On the back of that, i’m going to do two sessions a week(races included as such) and extend the long run to 14 miles max, progression style per P&L. I love racing, shame here a few feel i’m entering easy races to win trophies!! Yeah cause that’s what i’m all about, if a race is on my door i’ll race it. Hey can’t please everyone.

My foot is still somewhat troublesome when not running, stepped off a kerb today a bit awkwardly and twinged it a bit and had to sit down it hurt that bad. Run and it’s absolutely fine.

Amsterdam Half is the “thing” as we say around here, but I still feel I should run a 10 mile PB off what has been advised by my uncle, it’s worked, it’s not broken. Why fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    On the back of that, i’m going to do two sessions a week(races included as such) and extend the long run to 14 miles max, progression style per P&L. I love racing, shame here a few feel i’m entering easy races to win trophies!! Yeah cause that’s what i’m all about, if a race is on my door i’ll race it. Hey can’t please everyone.

Sounds like my kinda week ;)
    As they say, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Not sure anyone really believes you're entering to win. Haha.

Sounds like my kinda week ;)
    As they say, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Not sure anyone really believes you're entering to win. Haha.

No I don’t enter to win, I was sent a screen grab of messages from a poster here I figured was a friend and someone I had built a rapport with over the years. Think ya know someone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    No I don’t enter to win, I was sent a screen grab of messages from a poster here I figured was a friend and someone I had built a rapport with over the years. Think ya know someone.....

Ah jaysus that's terrible. Well each to their own but I would say people like that are in the minority here. You're well respected. One of the few people that never misses a pre race "good luck" to everyone on here........ Except that one time when you sent me into Munster 4M without a good luck message......... That was nice of you.............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

That's very disappointing. As P says I think almost everyone here knows how much you enjoy both running/ racing and for being very supportive of everyone else. Fook the begrudger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

That's fookin terrible carry on.....

Move on, you know yourself....

Random though popped into my head there... You ever think about track races??? 200/400/800 ect??? Is there any meets there like our graded meets??

Anyway, if you had any balls yop'd come back for the beer mile :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Feck the begrudger's B.Your flying it.The hard work is paying off big time.Great stuff.

Advertisement