Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I give more? The answer is usually yes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats on the job and the race. I had to mute the video fairly fast as my kids are beside me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Congrats on the job and the race. I had to mute the video fairly fast as my kids are beside me. :D

Thanks K, should have warned it was a bit “blue” language wise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kellygirl wrote: »

Ditto!

Congrats on the new Job and good blow out on the 5k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Great running B.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Great running B.

Cheers J, has the Limerick decision been made?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

OOnegative wrote: »
    Cheers J, has the Limerick decision been made?
    I got my free entry again,so feck it,B.I will do the full.Sucker for punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Congrats on the run AND the job B :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Great running after a tough few weeks.

Congrats. on the job too!

juke wrote: »
    Great running after a tough few weeks.

Congrats. on the job too!

Cheers J, anything to update on that log of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

OOnegative wrote: »
    Cheers J, anything to update on that log of yours?

Nope :o

Running wise, I'm tootling around doing my physio's version of couch 25k and doing balance exercises - which are difficult.

Lifting heavy though (beautifully calloused hands and bruised midriff) so keeping my sanity :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great run lad. Excellent stuff. And congrats on the job

Great run lad. Excellent stuff. And congrats on the job

Cheers P, similar by yourself today in Dromina, the wife’s tights suit ya!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great running young man :D You really have come back to form very quickly. Congrats on the job too.

OOnegative wrote:
    Cheers P, similar by yourself today in Dromina, the wife’s tights suit ya!!!

They're a little snug but needs must. She's great to lend them to me in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, B, I think that’s my dream job too! Nice running as well.

Cattle grids though? Jaysis. I’ll never complain about cobbles again!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Congrats, B, I think that’s my dream job too! Nice running as well.

Cattle grids though? Jaysis. I’ll never complain about cobbles again!

Chasing sheep D????

Yeah, Westduinpark has a herd of Highland cattle so the cattle grids are a must for safety purposes for the four legged lads!! Impressive beasts up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

That's a great time, and a fantastic last km, in a decent week. Great work. Let us know where we should start sending some postcards...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great running by you and the younglad.
    Congrats on the job but are you not just swapping one uniform for another??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats - delighted for you with the Job.

Regarding the race - or the race prep - a 10 miler and a set of intervals on race week??

Congrats - delighted for you with the Job.

Regarding the race - or the race prep - a 10 miler and a set of intervals on race week??

Racing myself to fitness is the only way I can explain that one A. Or trying to!!

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    great running by you and the younglad.
    Congrats on the job but are you not just swapping one uniform for another??;)

Cheers Anne, no there’s no uniform for that gig over here thankfully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Congratulations on a fantastic 5km and track debut. Brilliant going Barry.

aquinn wrote: »
    Congratulations on a fantastic 5km and track debut. Brilliant going Barry.

Thanks A, great going yourself over the weekend in the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Congratulations on the new job! Great news.
    And very well done in the race - you didn't exactly ease off during the week in the lead up to it either! Impressive going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Catching up again..Congrats on the racing, you're a long way ahead of me now. Best of luck in the job, I think it'll suit ya.

snailsong wrote: »
    Catching up again..Congrats on the racing, you're a long way ahead of me now. Best of luck in the job, I think it'll suit ya.

Cheers P, hope you got that Achilles sorted for yourself. Your still miles ahead of me in the distance that matters!!

eyrie wrote: »
    Congratulations on the new job! Great news.
    And very well done in the race - you didn't exactly ease off during the week in the lead up to it either! Impressive going

Thanks C, it was more of a tester race than a goal one hence the lack of taper or easing off heading into it.

Monday 15.4.19

Usual Rest Day.

Tuesday 16.4.19

8.40 miles Easy@8.46min/miles in 1hr 13mins 42secs

A bog standard run out to Kijkduin, legs were tender for first couple of miles but soon woke up. Looped in around Ockenburgh and back home via Loosduinen.

Wednesday 17.4.19

w/u, 4x1,200m@5k(3min rec), c/d

Usual warm up out to running paths then into the season, goal for these was to do them in 4.28-4.30. It was a humid morning & had me thinking on the warm up I was glad I wasn’t facing into a marathon block this summer. Plan was to run two out and two back, first one into my running handy enough and felt good as did the second. Turned around and the third was again fine feeling it slightly but not overreaching.

The fourth was stop start as I kept having to stop to give way to trucks making deliveries to the various pubs/restaurants on the beach. I got thick over the last 400m and as a result ran the interval far to quick. Splits were as follows:

4.28.5, 4.30.8, 4.30.2, 4.26.6.

Few easy miles to cool down bringing the days total to 8.20 miles.

Thursday 18.4.19

10.15 miles Easy@8.45min/miles in 1hr 28mins 54secs

Once again the same route to Kijkduin, the North Sea looked like a pane of glass such was it stillness as I made my way on into Ockenburgh taking in the hills but no pushing on this week. Legs were slightly fatigued but fine by runs end, hitting the 20’s temperature wise by time I finished. Done and dusted by 11am.

Friday 19.4.19

5.05 miles Easy/Recovery@8.58min/miles in 45min 16secs

Another glorious day, done this late afternoon when it was cooling down a bit. Kept to the flatter parts of Bosjes Van Poot and Westduinpark to give the legs some rest.

Saturday 20.4.19

w/u, 2x10min, 1x5min@LT(3min rec), c/d

No soccer this week as it’s on a break for mid-term. It was midday by time I got out and the temperature was in the 20’s. I pulled the pace back to between 6.20-6.30 for these as the 6.10-6.20 I should have been doing them at was to fast for the weather that I was running in. Kept away from Kijkduin today as it would be crazy people wise because of the sun.

Onto the bike paths towards Monster was the route, warm up done them into the LT repeats, passing the Madestein as I headed for Monster. Had the paths to myself more or less and felt great on the first one, recovery then into number two. Again feeling strong but the sweat was dripping off me at this stage, turn around and into recovery and into the last five minute interval. Push the pace a bit on this one, not to quick but felt it in the heat. Delighted to finish the session so strongly. Splits were:

6.28, 6.27, 6.18.

Longer cool down than normal but it was a glorious day so great to be out in it, 10 miles all in.

Sunday 21.4.19

5.30 miles Easy@8.53min/miles in 47mins 05secs

Same run as Friday with a bit added on. Legs feeling good but kept pace slow, in the 20’s once more today so time to top up the tan again!!

47.10 miles for the week with some decent work in there. Will push towards 50 miles next week and keep it there hopefully for the next while. Mullingar 10 might not be a goer now with the new job so will look at something else over here.

Drie Molenloop 6.5km - 25.04(3rd of 95)

Point 1:

The time is mediocre i know, wouldn't get you near a podium in Ireland, but you can only beat whats put in front of you.

Point 2:

It was 22 degrees at 11am starting, that put an end to any faster time for me so i planned on being sensible.

We arrived to the very picturesque village of Aalanderveen at 10am and went to race registration to collect my number and get himself registered for his race. First thing i noticed as i stepped out of the car was it was very warm already, picked up my number and got himself sorted for his race. Strolled towards the start and got himself sorted, he lined up at the front but as more and more children arrived last minute he got pushed back, so by the off he was more or less at the rear!! He got out quick enough and done the loop of the village, next we saw of him he was in the top 10 after making his way through the field, another fantastic performance from him.

I made my way for a warm-up, covering the last .75 of a mile of the race out and back, i only hit 8.30 pace but was soaked by time i finished:eek:. Lined up at the front again and bang on 11am we were let off, three younger lads took to the front and was happy to let them off, after 200m or so a lady passed me and immediately cut in front of me and nearly tripped me up, not like she hadn't any clear road in front of her:rolleyes::rolleyes:. After another 200m i overtook her again as she was breathing hard:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Plan was to run between 6.10-6.20 pace for the race, as ye know who read here regularly the heat ain't my pal. We passed the first of the three windmills on the route and turned left shortly after, two lads had opened up a sizeable lead already but 3rd place was coming back to me. I closed the gap slowly and passed shortly before 1 mile which beeped in 6.04.46, to fast but feeling fine.

I opened up a gap quickly enough and was on my lonesome from here on, we turned left and ran through essentially a field with concrete slabs in it, bits of grass growing up between them, i focused as best i could running through a families farm yard who were out drinking beer and offering plenty of support. I felt the pace easing up and got caught daydreaming some what as mile 2 came in at 6.23.43. Out onto some open road then left again through another farm yard and onto more concrete slabs through another field. Looking at the scenery and the second of the windmills along the race route, a right hand turn and onto the way we had ran at that point. Quick look behind and i had a good gap to 4th if i got lazy!! Mile 3 beeped just as i crested a canal bridge in 6.20.00, better and feeling good.

Into the last mile and all of a sudden the strength drained from the legs, from where I don’t know as it literally happened in a matter of a few steps, started to panic from here, constantly checking over my shoulder to see how far 4th was behind. Loads of support along the route now which helped me ignore the pain, into the last 500m and the route was lined both sides with people supporting, it felt like a race of much higher acclaim than it was due to this. Quick look behind and i have 3rd in the bag, still feeling the hurt, mile 4 coming in at 6.18.25, big shout out from the family and i crossed the line. Took some minutes to catch my breath, the heat killed me in the last mile!! My missus looked at me worryingly when i seen her, "State of your face", it was caked in salt, worst i have ever seen!!

Fantastic race that was celebrating its 55th year, no doubt the weather kept the faster lads away as my time would have only scraped top 10 in previous editions and i won't be getting notions about myself for sure, but its always nice to finish on a podium. I may never do it again.

• Advertisement

Brilliant stuff lad. Delighted to see this. What was the prize?!

Advertisement