Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I give more? The answer is usually yes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Relax everyone. It’ll be grand! ;) It’s evolution, not revolution.

But, but, but.....now Raycun!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

skyblue46 wrote: »

:confused::(

The voice of reason. A loss indeed. Evolution sucks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Murph_D wrote: »
    Relax everyone. It’ll be grand! ;)

Keep imagining what would happen if these were the only words said in an airline safety briefing...

Keep imagining what would happen if these were the only words said in an airline safety briefing...

Ha ha - my own reaction is that if any of the stuff they talk about in the briefing starts to happen, we are more than likely all f*cked anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

skyblue46 wrote: »

He'll be back - maybe not on his log for a while, but he'll be back.

He's the 'Chairman of the Boards' afterall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Monday 13.5.19

Rest Day, wasn't planned, but was weak as a kitten after spending far to much time sitting on the toilet through out the day:eek::eek::eek:.

Tuesday 14.5.19

10.30 miles Easy@8.26min/miles in 1hr 26mins 56secs

Headed out after work, still not feeling 100% but the legs were working fine. Headed towards Pompstationsweg again and kept going further than last Sunday, breezy, sunny afternoon great for running. But the body was protesting more or less the whole way, i was expecting the HR data to be through the roof but on checking it it was in the correct zone for the whole run:confused:.

Wednesday 15.5.19

6.75 miles Easy@8.49min/miles in 59mins 31secs

Out before work for this as the Boss was traveling home for few days in the afternoon. Lap around Van Stolkpark, Westbroekpark and Scheveningse Bosjes but like previous day, still feeling rough and didn't enjoy the run like i normally would. HR bit higher on this one.

Thursday 16.5.19

7.35 miles Easy@8.45min/miles in 64mins 17secs

Dropped Troops to school and heading out for my run from there. Body better but still not 100% right. Lap around the harbour and back via http://www.madurodam.nl/en and back home.

And that was my lot for the week, 24.40miles. Cold took hold Thursday night and had me under the weather for rest the week. Post was considerably tougher on Friday and Saturday as a result:mad::mad::mad:.

On 1st of January i stood on the scales and weighed in at 85.3kilos, last Monday i weighed in at 78.3kilos, the lightest weight wise i have been in 2 years or so and something i'm happy to see. Body feels better as i type this and will probably go for a run while himself has soccer training this evening.

Best of luck to those racing Bob!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Fusitive wrote: »

Although saying that, I do miss some posters from the past like Dubgal, Firedance, TbL, Sam and Bulmers in a weird internet nostalgia kind of way:o.

Glad I stuck my head in to check up on the Bob Heffernan #pbfest now :p

I'm not buying this postman business - I reckon its an undercover jobby with Interpol :)

Let me get this right, after all the slagging you gave me for cycling INTO work, you now cycle FOR work... :D Where's TBL when we need him most!!!!

Let me get this right, after all the slagging you gave me for cycling INTO work, you now cycle FOR work... :D Where's TBL when we need him most!!!!

Difference is I don’t wear lycra doing my post routes....... And my bike is more high nelly than go fast racer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

OOnegative wrote: »
    Difference is I don’t wear lycra doing my post routes....... And my bike is more high nelly than go fast racer!!

Considering the route, it's probably a good thing that you don't wear lycra.

Considering the route, it's probably a good thing that you don't wear lycra.

Depends on what way you look at it......

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Depends on what way you look at it......

:eek::eek:

I see nothing has changed in here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Did somebody say lycra?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Walks in.........

Looks around.......

Walks back out.

Monday 20.5.19

8.40 miles Easy@8.42min/miles in 1hr 13mins 07secs

Got out for this while himself was at soccer training, loop out to Kijkduin and back through Westduinpark to get back. Bit lethargic starting off but that soon disappeared.

Tuesday 21.5.19

9.60 miles Easy@8.46min/miles in 1hr 24mins 05secs

Busy day at work, its the middle of Ramadam at the minute and the second loop i cover is big Muslim country. Really colourful garb coming and going to the various mosques i pass. Out straight away when i got home and i had no route in mind, just ran. I skirted around the various parks in the area and headed over towards the International Criminal Courts, hands down one of the ugliest buildings i have seen!!!

I kept going till i happened upon this, https://denhaag.com/en/location/43887/waalsdorpervlakte. Being the son of a soldier i have a keen interest in anything war related, both fascinating and eerie feeling around the place. Retraced my steps and back home. Evening spent monitoring Pop Up Races for times in Bob!!

Wednesday 22.5.19

Rest Day.

Thursday 23.5.19

8.20 miles Easy@8.43min/miles in 1hr 11mins 29secs

Same route as Monday but i remember nothing of this run, if its on the Garmin it happened!!

Friday 24.5.19

w/u, 5x800m@5k(250m rec), c/d.

There is another marked out track a half mile from our new house so i headed there to get this done. It was a glorious sunny afternoon and the playground that was centered in the track was awash with kids. Would have to pay close attention here as i passed on each lap. Warm up done and straight in the 800's, the first one hurt, oh man it hurt!! I considered canning the session there and then and blaming not being over my cold but i soon snapped out of that. Second was better and so that pattern continued until i wanted to do a 6th but i couldn't as i was pressed for time as we were heading out early for drinks. Aim was 2.55-3.00 for these, came in as follows:

2.56.70, 2.57.10, 2.55.80, 2.57.40, 2.56.2.

Enjoyable session after the first one, 6.80 miles for the day.

Saturday 25.5.19

5.25 miles Easy@8.34min/miles in 45mins

Long heavy day at work, hungover plod after it. To many IPA's!!

Sunday 26.5.19

The Royal Ten 5km Prestatieloop - 18.14(15th/308)

This was a last minute decision, after reading some of the performances from Bob on Tuesday gone past i wanted in on the action!! Registered last minute on Wednesday morning, the 10km version of this race is held in high regard with a course record of 28.07 by Edwin Kiprop from Kenya. I felt in decent nick and decided i would try run a PB off Friday's somewhat encouraging 800's.

In and got himself a number for the 1.5km in which he performed very well top 50 out of over 300 children and enjoyed it again. Went off after this and done a warm-up and the humidity hit me straight away, 500m in the Trim AC singlet was soaked:o. Back after 1.5miles, quick kisses and hugs with the family and i made my way to the start line, small sectioned of area for elites, a few i had beaten easily in my last 5k in April but stayed where i was as i figured i'd take them again. Usual pre race formalities and we edged to the startline, countdown and the gun let us go.

Start was a 500m straight before turned left towards the Haagse Bosjes where a good portion of the race would be run. Those 500m felt horrible, i seriously considered stepping off the route but i had that feeling in January at the Puinduinrun so knew it would pass. Sharp right after the straight and the field thinned out, looked at the watch and seen 3.3x pace on it,right where i wanted to be. A left and km 1 beeped at 3.39, perfect i thought.

Bit of back and forth here with two runners before we entered the forest, i pushed on past said two runners and was isolated somewhat, didn't bother me as i was only interested in my own race, a lot of zig-zagging to begin with in the forest which was a pain but you have to run the course. Remember thinking to myself i felt brilliant here and the pace was easy, km 2 clocked in 3.40. Right where i wanted to be.

The course opened out now and more long straights than twists and turns, a runner came past me here moving at a fair clip and i recognised him as a lad that finished in 16.xx in the Lenteloop, late or started conservatively!! Onto a section of cobbled road now that i didn't care for, loads of hollows you couldn't pick out because of the shade from the trees, bit of a pinch now but still feeling remarkably good, km 3 beeped in 3.42. The toughest kilometre of a 5k lay ahead, we crossed the road off the cobbles into more forest before turning left again.

Into a stiffish breeze now for a while but i had nobody to shelter off quick look behind told me the next runner to me was a good 50m back and the one ahead was to far ahead to close the gap, bite the lip Barry and dig in. The treacle effect took hold, man i hate 5ks, why do i do this to myself, slow down and jog it in, your a 40 year old hobby jogger why are you torturing yourself?? Some of the thoughts that consumed my mind, a quick glance at the watch for maybe only the 2nd time told me i wasn't slowing, km 4 in 3.40.

We retraced our first kilometre now, finish it out strong i told myself, back yourself as DD says, i wasn't going to catch those ahead of me but i was determined i wasn't going to be caught either. I dug in, legs didn't appreciate it but fcuk them, they would do as they were asked for once, onto the 500m straight and loads of support, i tried to go quicker, legs responded, passed my family who spurred me on to go quicker again, the announcer called my name,more inspiration to go faster, km 5 in 3.33.

I crossed the line spent, sat down more of less straight away and i must have looked bad as First Aid approached me but i shooed them away saying i was fine. Few minutes of a sit down to compose myself and i was fine, looked at the watch for first time and seen 18.15, elated i was. A 5k PB nearly 3 years after my last:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Loads of kisses and hugs from the family before rushing for the tram to get home. Cool down at home bringing days total to 8.15miles.

46.40 miles for the week, a new 5k PB that maybe a while being bettered, not a bad week all been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Congratulations on the pb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Brilliant running. Next stop...Sub 18!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Fantastic, well done :)

Ah, brilliant B - love that you wanted in on the action and ended up with a new PB. Shape of your life so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

That's a super time and race report. Well done Barry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Superb stuff- well done. Delighted for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That is unreal B. Just brilliant. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great stuff, delighted for you. A fantastic addition to #pbfest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Cracking result b.Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

PB!!!!! Yes! Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Pity ur not doing a marathon??? this year,everything points to a sub 3.just saying😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

That's a fantastic run B. Savage.....

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Pity ur not doing a marathon??? this year,everything points to a sub 3.just saying😊

No marathon J, and definitely not in sub 3 shape that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Really enjoyed that read B. Great effort, and of course the latest in what must be the best week of PBs on the A/R forum this year :D Any chance of a crack at sub-18 before the year's out?

Really enjoyed that read B. Great effort, and of course the latest in what must be the best week of PBs on the A/R forum this year :D Any chance of a crack at sub-18 before the year's out?

Cheers J, am at a lose end really till end of July when the Amsterdam Half plan kicks in. It’s all about finding a race that suits family/work/wife’s Ironman training though.

• Advertisement

Congratulations on the PB!!! Well done!.

Advertisement