Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I went out on the V-Strom one day in full leathers, came across a group of lads on cruisers, they said ‘you’re wearing the wrong gear for adventure riding bud, what you need is the likes of armoured jeans and a check shirt’.

I think they just had a lumberjack biker fetish.

On the flip side I have been dressed in the runners/tracksuit as per the video and people remarked I’m asking for trouble.

Just google 'motorcycle injuries without gear' and 'motorcycle degloving' and I'd be surprised if you continue to ride without protective gear, particularly gloves. It's grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭goblin59

Just google 'motorcycle injuries without gear' and 'motorcycle degloving' and I'd be surprised if you continue to ride without protective gear, particularly gloves. It's grim.

My uncle gave me a DVD of motorcycle crashes and told me to watch that when I was maybe 15, wanted to make sure i always wore full gear.
    He was a little nuts though xD

Some of the older bikers in Dublin probably knew him, use to have 2 BSA m20s, could hear him for miles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭blade1

There's no such thing as 'proper gear for X bike', there's:

Bike gear

and

Non-bike gear that'll leave various layers of skin spread across tarmac should you come off.

The thought of riding without gear always makes me shudder, but I'm firmly in the ATGATT camp, and I know that not everybody is.

Wife beaters, camouflage shorts and flip flops even in winter but I'm a hard bastard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

blade1 wrote: »
    Wife beaters, camouflage shorts and flip flops even in winter but I'm a hard bastard :D

Turbo busa much?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

goblin59 wrote: »
    My uncle gave me a DVD of motorcycle crashes and told me to watch that when I was maybe 15, wanted to make sure i always wore full gear.
    He was a little nuts though xD

Some of the older bikers in Dublin probably knew him, use to have 2 BSA m20s, could hear him for miles

That's whats great about youtube - lads uploading their own messing of what not to do :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

OK I bit and Googled 'motorbike degloving' and this was top result

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4843335/teenagers-penis-degloved-and-his-scrotum-inverted-in-horror-bike-crash/

- its SFW, no pics

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I went out on the V-Strom one day in full leathers, came across a group of lads on cruisers, they said ‘you’re wearing the wrong gear for adventure riding bud, what you need is the likes of armoured jeans and a check shirt’

Tossers

There again, they were on cruisers, tassles and all probably :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

zubair wrote: »
    Turbo busa much?

I wish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Breezin

Fortnine had a video a while back on the topic of priorities in bike gear -- think it was labelled as being about budget stuff. I usually heed the channel because they cite the science rather than pure sales BS.

If I remember correctly, apart from the lid, the most important item from a safety POV was boots, especially higher boots, because lower leg is where most injuries occur, often at low speeds or even stationary.

Also high on the list was gloves with proper protection. Surprisingly, the jacket was just meh, and not worth spending a fortune on, though I always try to wear a vest with elbow and back pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Breezin wrote: »
    Fortnine had a video a while back on the topic of priorities in bike gear -- think it was labelled as being about budget stuff. I usually heed the channel because they cite the science rather than pure sales BS.

If I remember correctly, apart from the lid, the most important item from a safety POV was boots, especially higher boots, because lower leg is where most injuries occur, often at low speeds or even stationary.

Also high on the list was gloves with proper protection. Surprisingly, the jacket was just meh, and not worth spending a fortune on, though I always try to wear a vest with elbow and back pads.

Yeah, I like Ryan's stuff too. Don't think I've seen that specific video, only one about budget -v- branded safety gear. Scary seeing the differences.

Boot doesn't surprise me; my usual demo for why I wear bike boots over runners is to ask someone to take off their shoe, and then try to bend it in half. Most of the time, it folds, so they can imagine their foot being inside when that happens. Since switching to calf-length boots recently, I feel a lot safer.

I'll stick to wearing my jackets though, cannot imagine how grim the rash would be from a slide on elbows, torso, arms, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

GBX wrote: »
    That's whats great about youtube - lads uploading their own messing of what not to do :D
    Tossers

There again, they were on cruisers, tassles and all probably :)

Here i am on the busa gents, all geared up, before anyone says it, i know, i know, i shouldn't have passed the van :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Here i am on the busa gents, all geared up, before anyone says it, i know, i know, i shouldn't have passed the van :o

You didn't pass him in the first 30s of the vid so I can't comment. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

zubair wrote: »
    You didn't pass him in the first 30s of the vid so I can't comment. :D

It's a few minutes in :pac:

I don't expect someone to sit there and watch the entirety of it, i need to learn how to edit the thing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's a few minutes in :pac:

I don't expect someone to sit there and watch the entirety of it, i need to learn how to edit the thing down.

Was patiently waiting for an open stretch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

OK I bit and Googled 'motorbike degloving' and this was top result

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4843335/teenagers-penis-degloved-and-his-scrotum-inverted-in-horror-bike-crash/

- its SFW, no pics
    So I wasn't satisfied as to what a degloving injury was

My inquisitiveness has been sated

My goodness! possibly nsfw

Degloving injuries

:eek::eek::eek:

ATGATT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah.... not gonna click on that! I did witness in my mirror a friend of mine get killed by an out of control car that just missed me though :( that was a tough time.

The unaccompanied learner driver on bald tyres got a 500 quid fine for taking a life. :mad:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Got the above message regarding my insurance renewal and didn't get a chance to call them (bit of putting it off /forgetting to ring them tbh)
    Anyway, they've taken about 500 from my account which is probably a bit over the odds (2 bikes fully comp, GS 1200 and TDM 850) Has the horse left the stable at this stage? I can hardly bargain them down it they have my money.
    I think its sharp practice on their account, anybody else come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Got the above message regarding my insurance renewal and didn't get a chance to call them (bit of putting it off /forgetting to ring them tbh)
    Anyway, they've taken about 500 from my account which is probably a bit over the odds (2 bikes fully comp, GS 1200 and TDM 850) Has the horse left the stable at this stage? I can hardly bargain them down it they have my money.
    I think its sharp practice on their account, anybody else come across this?

Did this last yr to me despite opting out and having proof of same. Meant a major direct debit bounced as a result. Threatened legal action and they gave me my policy for the yr foc.
    Best bet is try and haggle retrospectively but yeah it's a compromised position to start from.
    Email them opting out forevermore.

I'd gotten a quote from Principal that was about 200 less, but when I went through the details they brought it up to 460 or something cause I'm a north sider I think. I was going to use that as leverage for a better quote from CN, but looks like the horse has bolted.
    I'll ring em tomorrow and explain they have no right to take money without me saying they can, as I said, sharp practice

cúnts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I'd gotten a quote from Principal that was about 200 less, but when I went through the details they brought it up to 460 or something cause I'm a north sider I think. I was going to use that as leverage for a better quote from CN, but looks like the horse has bolted.
    I'll ring em tomorrow and explain they have no right to take money without me saying they can, as I said, sharp practice

cúnts

Yea bigbtime *****, especially so when you consider the quotes are pulled straight out of their assholes with a bottom line sometimes up to 50% less than initial offer. Despite this I don't think it's illegal, some advice I got at the time was its within the scope of practice in the 4 wheel ins world.
    Where I had them cornered was i had opted out and they used my wife's cc details from a single payment the Yr before that again. They had zero right to do that let alone even record those details. In retrospect I could and possibly should have sued them, we had grounds, but life is short and exposure to pricks impacts quality of life.
    Haggle like a bastard and mention ombudsman and see where you get.
    Ps what's the score with the cooling off period (30 day?). Is that grounds for a full refund I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I too had the same thing happen with CN, I rang up and cancelled because I was in the 40 day window.
    Went with Principal, they are always decent to deal with, but gave me a poor enough quote this year and I went back to CN.
    Churn is a thing in the Ins business and its sometimes better to come in as new business than a renewal.
    My missus saved about €70 by letting her Car insurance lapse during lockdown and then coming back to the same company as new business.

I'm curious to what my quote will be come Feb.

This year was my first bike insurance and it was 780 or so to insure a 2014 CBR250, ABS model and the current CBR250 isn't the hellraiser the old ones were, mine was single cylinder and wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

4 months into the policy I swapped for a CBR600F3 - 1995, they wouldn't insure me on anything after the F3 because they go up to the next insurance group. However they gave me a refund and pro rata tge 600 would have been 150quid cheaper to insure for the year.
    I've applied for the test but no date yet and unlikely to get one before renewal

On a side note, I'm a devil for tools, I like buying good tools, not the best of the best but my hand tools are mostly Teng with some Snap On thrown in too. However I got a set of ratchet spanners on ebay for 30 quid delivered (8-19mm) and have to say I'm impressed with what I got for the money

I'm curious to what my quote will be come Feb.

This year was my first bike insurance and it was 780 or so to insure a 2014 CBR250, ABS model and the current CBR250 isn't the hellraiser the old ones were, mine was single cylinder and wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I'm the same, my renewal is around then, insurance was about €780 for the F650GS on a learners permit with no experience.

this time it will be 1 years no claims and full license

You managed to get a test in, fair play. I applied as soon as I could and am still waiting.

The shed is starting to take shape, going to get a stainless steel top for the bench and a roller toolbox for under it. It's an ongoing project and still a bit of clearing out to do to make more space. There are 3 bikes (pedal powered) taking space and only one of which is mine. 2 ladders that aren't mine, painter left them behind and hasn't collected and a myriad of other unneeded crap

You managed to get a test in, fair play. I applied as soon as I could and am still waiting.

The shed is starting to take shape, going to get a stainless steel top for the bench and a roller toolbox for under it. It's an ongoing project and still a bit of clearing out to do to make more space. There are 3 bikes (pedal powered) taking space and only one of which is mine. 2 ladders that aren't mine, painter left them behind and hasn't collected and a myriad of other unneeded crap

I just finished tidying up my garage and making a few shelves to clear the stuff that was piling up.

I trying to make up my mind on wether to get a bench lift or an abba Skylift.

IMG-20201103-115723.jpg

I got seriously lucky, the 2nd week of tests being back on. Once I found out which centres were taking bookings i swapped mine over to one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

blade1 wrote: »
    I just finished tidying up my garage and making a few shelves to clear the stuff that was piling up.

I trying to make up my mind on wether to get a bench lift or an abba Skylift.

IMG-20201103-115723.jpg

I'm in the same boat, trying to decide between the two. A bench lift seems more practical for different bikes but takes up far more space than the Abba.

What I wouldn't give for that amount of space, city living has its drawbacks, the bike even has to come through the house

Fabio wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, trying to decide between the two. A bench lift seems more practical for different bikes but takes up far more space than the Abba.

I'm leaning towards the Skylift I think.
    I like that it makes the removal of forks and swingarm so easy.
    I'll probably make up a bench of some sort to slide under the bike to hold tools and bike parts in place.
    What I wouldn't give for that amount of space, city living has its drawbacks, the bike even has to come through the house
    I have these and another concrete shed and every so often have to do a big clear out because stuff still keeps building up.
    Going to try and keep the steel shed nice and tidy from now on so I have a decent work space.

IMG-20200730-183433.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Question I ordered a new speedo cable for my NSR as the old one was broken. Do you lubricate the new one or just stick it on?

A quick google would suggest that you lube with white lithium grease
    J

Advertisement