Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The tank wasn’t even bloody empty :eek: :mad:

1-D49-E94-E-0932-40-AC-BBE4-D5-BAD2-FA1851.jpg

There was 4.80L of fuel in your tank before you filled up.
    It seems to be working out well for you? Do you keep the bikes on trickle charge in the winter?

I had 2 chargers which I'd change around every day.
    I picked up another 2 chargers in Aldi over the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭H_Lime

blade1 wrote: »

Are they still in stock would ya kno? I need a couple but hate going in there esp now with the plague and all that drama.

H_Lime wrote: »
    Are they still in stock would ya kno? I need a couple but hate going in there esp now with the plague and all that drama.

Not in the aldi's near me.
    I got the last one the other day.
    Will pick up another couple when they come back.
    I like them because they auto charge when powered on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

The bike was reading just shy of quarter of a tank, hence I was surprised.

Are they Aldi version of an oximiser?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Anybody got any tips for driving a 2 stroke? I have to drive it a bit back to the house. I have seen so many videos of people seizing them on Youtube because they are engine braking or downshifting too much.

What kind of bike is it? My only experience was of 2 strokes are mopeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Two strokes need good oil and fresh petrol.
    If it is autolube, ie not premixed oil and fuel, make sure the oil reservoir has oil in it and is functioning and not blocked.
    I wouldn't worry too much about seizing it if there is sufficient oil in it and it is properly warmed up.
    They don't seize in normal use very often, in fact they are usually quite reliable.
    What engine is it?

Its a NSR 125 so its got a separate oil tank so I don't have to premix. I'm bringing a bottle of nice Castrol oil to top it off before I set off. The NSR has a Rotax engine in it (like a load of those late 90's 2 Stroke bikes).

I doubt it has a Rotax, Honda made all their own engines. They are not called the Honda Motor Company for no reason.:D
    Try not to mix Synthetic and Mineral 2t oils, they don't always play well. I don't think they gel any longer but it is not good to mix them.

Anybody got any tips for driving a 2 stroke? I have to drive it a bit back to the house. I have seen so many videos of people seizing them on Youtube because they are engine braking or downshifting too much.

Tips?
    Drive the shīte out of it! :D

I had a couple of nsr's in the early 90's.
    Only thing ever needed was a piston kit which is cheap so no biggie.

I needed more work than those bikes as I've a hole in my knee after one of them threw me over the handlebars.

A mate of mine then called to my parents to inform them that I had an accident while holding up one off my shoes!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Can only seize off throttle, like going down a really long hill without gasing it. That's why you blip the throttle at lights, on down changes , on hills , on a whim and 30 years later on a four stroke for no apparent reason. Braap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

CJ mentioned good oil, +1 on that. You won't save yourself any money by using cheap oil. I used fully synth 2 stroke on an ax100 I had 20 years ago, not only did it last 3 times as long, there wasn't a plume of 2 stroke smoke out the back of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

CJ mentioned good oil, +1 on that. You won't save yourself any money by using cheap oil. I used fully synth 2 stroke on an ax100 I had 20 years ago, not only did it last 3 times as long, there wasn't a plume of 2 stroke smoke out the back of it.

Though to be fair you could run an AX100 on grandpa's hair oil and it would just keep going.

Don't hold it WFO for a long time, they don't like that.
    Keep moving it up and down the rev band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Lads are GPS yokes all universal fitting or what one fits this connection?

GeucjQu.jpg

Nah,
    The only gen2 Rsvr I'd think about buying is a Bol d'Or and I passed up on the opportunity of one of those already.

That's too much money for that one anyway. ;)

Edit: Just spotted the milage.
    The odometer can reset on those if the battery is disconnected or flat.
    Call me a cynic but I'd be wary!

Nah,
    The only gen2 Rsvr I'd think about buying is a Bol d'Or.

That's too much money for that one anyway. ;)

Just spotted the milage.
    The odometer can reset on those if the battery is disconnected or flat.
    Call be a cynic but I'd be wary!

Tony is known to be on the high end with him prices to ge fair.

The odometer can reset? :eek:

Wouldn’t blame you for being if that’s the case

Tony is known to be on the high end with him prices to ge fair.

The odometer can reset? :eek:

Wouldn’t blame you for being if that’s the case

Shur you can't even give away those oul aprilias. :pac:

I met him at the bikeshow last year.
    Seemed sound enough.

Besides the colours, my Tuono is the same bike minus full fairings and with straight handlebars.
    Screenshot-20190922-182548.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

GeucjQu.jpg
    That's for a Garmin Zumo 390 and any others with the same body (I think there are different numbers depending on loaded maps.)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

GeucjQu.jpg

That's a Garmin (I've a 350lm model). Just be careful with those pins, spring loaded and can break easily. I've had 3 cables in about 8years go just with vibration from the bars on different bikes - fecking annoying as the cables are about €70

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭goblin59

IJS84 wrote: »
    That's a Garmin (I've a 350lm model). Just be careful with those pins, spring loaded and can break easily. I've had 3 cables in about 8years go just with vibration from the bars on different bikes - fecking annoying as the cables are about €70

if your decent at soldering RS and Farnells sell those pogo pins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭omerin

As someone who hopes to return to 2 wheels shortly and will have to get kitted out, I'd like to buy as much as possible from Irish stores. But I expect, if not matched prices, prices that are competitive, I'm all for wearing the green leathers, but there is a limit, I don't want to be fleeced :D

Just looking at Lee Motorcycles facebook, they started their sale last year just after Christmas and it ran to mid Jan, (20% off helmets & clothing , up to 50% on end of line)

Who knows what will happen next year with prices of stock manufactured or sourced through the UK, hope it won't eliminate any potential sale savings.

Any online Irish stores that offer discounts through the year, I don't have a facebook account. Maybe there is a bargain alert for motorbikes that I've missed here?

Subscribed to stuart fillingham on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_6N0-4RIhU), good selection of vids and he seems to get discounts on products he reviews, example 15% from https://www.motone.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Got the 125cc back to the house. Man 2 strokes are fun! Didnt really give it any beans on the way home apart from once or twice. Wanted to get it back home first.

Now the fun starts
    Hope it Runs well for you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

omerin wrote: »
    Subscribed to stuart fillingham on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_6N0-4RIhU), good selection of vids and he seems to get discounts on products he reviews, example 15% from https://www.motone.co.uk/

Good old uncle Stu. Some of the gear he has is lovely.

I love his Interceptor 650 too ðŸ‘

My father and I bought all our gear in Lee Honda. We hadn't wear motorcycling gear before so wanted to make sure we could try it all on. They gave us a nice discount b cause we were getting so much. If you were getting kitted head to toe I'm sure they'd knock a bit off too. We have loyalty cards now which give us 10% off everything except bikes.

Shur you can't even give away those oul aprilias. :pac:

I met him at the bikeshow last year.
    Seemed sound enough.

Are they rubbish :pac:

Spoke to him on the phone once, seemed dead on to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

New camera I bought a while back, I need to learn how to use it properly :pac:

When pasting youtube links when you add the youtube tag you only need to use the last portion of the link "https://youtu.be/LJWwLwpSxpg"

GBX wrote: »

When pasting youtube links when you add the youtube tag you only need to use the last portion of the link "https://youtu.be/LJWwLwpSxpg"

Cheers lad, I’m clueless with this stuff

Did a 20 mile spin on the Kawasaki, While i knew it needed tyres, it appears i'll need to add to my list, when at low revs it splutters, once the revs rise it's fine, i think the carburettor has a problem, also the temperature gauge goes up near the red, but the fan still kicks in, possibly a thermostat issue, still happy with the bike and some problems were always going to be present for something that is 34 years old, i have zero regrets buying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Did a 20 mile spin on the Kawasaki, While i knew it needed tyres, it appears i'll need to add to my list, when at low revs it splutters, once the revs rise it's fine, i think the carburettor has a problem, also the temperature gauge goes up near the red, but the fan still kicks in, possibly a thermostat issue, still happy with the bike and some problems were always going to be present for something that is 34 years old, i have zero regrets buying it
    Looks like you will need to do a bit of tinkering :-) sounds like it may be a thermostat or coolant temp switch alright
    I would maybe flush the rad and replace the coolant
    Sure where is the fun in just getting on it and going out
    That would be way to easy :)

Today I decided to make a start & do the valve shims
    I have the bike in bits all over the place
    Tomorrow I will remove the cams and buckets measure up and replace as necessary
    When I changed the coils a few weeks back i took some paint ( well quite lot of paint ) off the rocker cover trying to get the old rusted ones out
    So I bought some high temp black paint as well and have given it a lick and its up in the shed drying
    Heated grips are on the way as is a top box and mounting kit

Advertisement