Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Looks like you will need to do a bit of tinkering :-) sounds like it may be a thermostat or coolant temp switch alright
    I would maybe flush the rad and replace the coolant
    Sure where is the fun in just getting on it and going out
    That would be way to easy :)

Today I decided to make a start & do the valve shims
    I have the bike in bits all over the place
    Tomorrow I will remove the cams and buckets measure up and replace as necessary
    When I changed the coils a few weeks back i took some paint ( well quite lot of paint ) off the rocker cover trying to get the old rusted ones out
    So I bought some high temp black paint as well and have given it a lick and its up in the shed drying
    Heated grips are on the way as is a top box and mounting kit

Aye i'm off out to buy coolant from Delaney's tomorrow morning. Just priced up the parts, oem are cheaper than aftermarket oddly enough. I'm going to just replace the lot, thermostat, switch, seals etc, there's a long winter ahead, the carbs are not something i'm willing to tackle though.

Sounds like you have a nice bit of work ahead of you. What heated grips have you gone with? Oxford?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

What heated grips have you gone with? Oxford?

Yeah went with the oxford adventure uk spec ones
    Just need to get sorted with some hand guards but the bark busters are a bit pricey
    Looks like I will be going for the cheap Chinese plastic ones for about €30
    should do the job just for a bit of wind protection :-)

Yeah went with the oxford adventure uk spec ones
    Just need to get sorted with some hand guards but the bark busters are a bit pricey
    Looks like I will be going for the cheap Chinese plastic ones for about €30
    should do the job just for a bit of wind protection :-)

The oxford grips do the job well, have them on my Strom over 2 years now.

As for the hand guards, did you price oem?

A spin on the GPZ earlier, you can hear at low revs all isn’t well. Still had fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A spin on the GPZ earlier, you can hear at low reva all isn’t well. Still had fun

An aul forward slash is needed in the second tag, we'll get you there yet! :D

• Advertisement

An aul forward slash is needed in the second tag, we'll get you there yet! :D

Me and technology do not go hand in hand :pac:

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Where do people get tyres for bikes as well as fitting? My new project bike has a slow puncture on the front and its an old enough tyre.

I got tyres in Cotters. Decent price and when I went over to get them fitted I asked if there was a cafe near that I could work from and Simon just let me use his office.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dunno about the 1000RX but on the GPz900R it was normal for the gauge to get close enough to the red mark riding in heavy traffic before the fan kicked in.

A lot of owners including myself fitted a manual override switch to keep the temp a bit lower but not really necessary.

A good flush out of the system and rad and new coolant is worth doing (prevents corrosion) but your fan switch is working if the fan comes on. If the thermostat isn't opening then the bike will just boil no matter what.

You'll probably end up with the temp gauge at the same point as before :)

NB there should be a bleed point in the cooling system, near the pump IIRC, you need to follow the correct procedure to fill the bike, run it, bleed out the air and top up.

Why no gloves? You only have to fall off once with no gloves on to never want to do that again :eek:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Anyone see the video of the trail biker and hiker in some coillte woods that’s going around.

The biker comes across as a complete knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah - looks to be a set up. It's a few years old as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

GBX wrote: »
    Yeah - looks to be a set up. It's a few years old as well.

I was thinking it’s a setup alright, the hiker goes down like a sack of spuds.

Must have resurfaced somewhere cos I’ve been sent it twice today

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have had that sh!t before, pricks throwing stones at me and trying to hit me with those ski poles they carry.
    My bike was able to return the favour via a Michelin AC10

Lockdown day number... well whatever day. Tonight I took apart the impact gun I bought for 50 notes. Greased and lubed some parts, scrubbed others and even resprayed the metal part of the casing.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Lockdown day number... well whatever day. Tonight I took apart the impact gun I bought for 50 notes. Greased and lubed some parts, scrubbed others and even resprayed the metal part of the casing.
    It will get you a few more years out of it though :-)
    Is it battery or Air ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Jaysus that was a wet morning to drive in. Have to say, the Bluetooth makes a big difference, it's much nicer to drive with music especially on a commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Jaysus that was a wet morning to drive in. Have to say, the Bluetooth makes a big difference, it's much nicer to drive with music especially on a commute.

What do you use?

I have a pair of Jabra Elite 75t earbuds I use for running that I am tempted to try on the bike, just need to work out how to stop it for calls as the mic won't work when I have the helmet one

It will get you a few more years out of it though :-)
    Is it battery or Air ?

A sealy battery powered one. Old enough but plenty of power and life left. Its a bit big and cumbersome compared to the stuff you can buy now but 50bills off adverts I couldn't pass it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭goblin59

TobinIT wrote: »
    What do you use?

I have a pair of Jabra Elite 75t earbuds I use for running that I am tempted to try on the bike, just need to work out how to stop it for calls as the mic won't work when I have the helmet one

I got a set of Midlands BTx1 pros on Ebay.
    Great buy, they're paired with my phone and satnav, so I can use Spotify with the satnav to change tracks and pause the music with it and if i get a phone call the caller ID comes up on the satnav and gives me the option to hang up or now.

the sat nav is a Garmin 595l

TobinIT wrote: »
    What do you use?

If you're on Android you can select what what is sent to bluetooth, audio, calls or both. I don't know about Apple

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

If you're on Android you can select what what is sent to bluetooth, audio, calls or both. I don't know about Apple

Yeah android here will have a look at the weekend,

Do you find them much of a distraction on the bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Breezin

I have a cheapo one from Ali Express that cost next to nothing and works great with apps on the phone such as Calimoto, Waze etc.

Phone calls are a bit awkward. Set up to answer automatically after x rings but if I'm riding I just say so...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What's the best place to buy ACF50?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

What's the best place to buy ACF50?

I bought my last one in Amazon, loads of places have it online. Superbike store has it aswell I think

Dunno about the 1000RX but on the GPz900R it was normal for the gauge to get close enough to the red mark riding in heavy traffic before the fan kicked in.

A lot of owners including myself fitted a manual override switch to keep the temp a bit lower but not really necessary.

A good flush out of the system and rad and new coolant is worth doing (prevents corrosion) but your fan switch is working if the fan comes on. If the thermostat isn't opening then the bike will just boil no matter what.

You'll probably end up with the temp gauge at the same point as before :)

NB there should be a bleed point in the cooling system, near the pump IIRC, you need to follow the correct procedure to fill the bike, run it, bleed out the air and top up.

Why no gloves? You only have to fall off once with no gloves on to never want to do that again :eek:

Since i posted i've been out with Noel Quinn, well known in Cork unsure how much outside it, he said it's quite common for that to happen 'with those old Kawasaki bikes'

Same engine as the 900 he said, just tuned differently.

Going in on November 9th for carb work, i'll try and do the coolant myself beforehand if i can get the fairings off, some screws are rounded.

I had no gloves on that night and i'm sorry i didn't, it was damn cold :( I have the full leathers etc for the sports bikes, just not the proper gear for the GPZ or DL, i'm waiting on DublinLeather to get in armoured combats.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

GPz is a sports bike, just a retro one :)

You need to get yourself one of those Frank Thomas one piece suits for the full 80s chic experience :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Since i posted i've been out with Noel Quinn, well known in Cork unsure how much outside it, he said it's quite common for that to happen 'with those old Kawasaki bikes'

Same engine as the 900 he said, just tuned differently.

Going in on November 9th for carb work, i'll try and do the coolant myself beforehand if i can get the fairings off, some screws are rounded.

I had no gloves on that night and i'm sorry i didn't, it was damn cold :( I have the full leathers etc for the sports bikes, just not the proper gear for the GPZ or DL, i'm waiting on DublinLeather to get in armoured combats.

There's no such thing as 'proper gear for X bike', there's:

Bike gear

and

Non-bike gear that'll leave various layers of skin spread across tarmac should you come off.

The thought of riding without gear always makes me shudder, but I'm firmly in the ATGATT camp, and I know that not everybody is.

GPz is a sports bike, just a retro one :)

You need to get yourself one of those Frank Thomas one piece suits for the full 80s chic experience :pac:

I probably worded it wrong for what I intended it to seem like :o

I have the full set of leathers, but thought they’d look out of place on a bike like that.

Frank Thomas :pac: :pac: :pac:

There's no such thing as 'proper gear for X bike', there's:

Bike gear

and

Non-bike gear that'll leave various layers of skin spread across tarmac should you come off.

The thought of riding without gear always makes me shudder, but I'm firmly in the ATGATT camp, and I know that not everybody is.

I went out on the V-Strom one day in full leathers, came across a group of lads on cruisers, they said ‘you’re wearing the wrong gear for adventure riding bud, what you need is the likes of armoured jeans and a check shirt’

That comment stuck in my head

On the flip side I have been dressed in the runners/tracksuit as per the video and people remarked I’m asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I went out on the V-Strom one day in full leathers, came across a group of lads on cruisers, they said ‘you’re wearing the wrong gear for adventure riding bud, what you need is the likes of armoured jeans and a check shirt’

That comment stuck in my head

On the flip side I have been dressed in the runners/tracksuit as per the video and people remarked I’m asking for trouble.

Form over function is not a good approach to choosing your gear. Once you're protected who cares what anyone thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

I went out on the V-Strom one day in full leathers, came across a group of lads on cruisers, they said ‘you’re wearing the wrong gear for adventure riding bud.

Depends on how you're planning on riding said bike ;)

Advertisement