Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

zubair wrote: »
    Jaysus I'd love to enough spare time to cover 4 bikes in a shed.

I need new covers :pac:

PS,

The joys of having 8 kids, they are trained in covering the bikes :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Anyone got a spare tax disc holder lying around?

I can buy a new one for E2 but they want another E6 to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Make one out of a Wallet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

And you on a moderators wage? Wouldnt have thought you'd have a problem splashing out €4, go easy on the quails eggs and cavier at tomorrows luncheon and you'll easily afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Keep the tax disc in your wallet. If you have tax and stopped by the Garda it won't be over the tax, it'll be something else. Most of them don't mind if it's not displayed once the tax is paid and you have the disc on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Have had to many tax discs ruined by the rain that I keep it in my wallet.

On a separate note, I went down a rabbit hole last night that started on donedeal and ended at 4 in the morning watching russian YouTube videos. Are you able to register sidecar outfits that are on the right if they were manufactured before a certain year, or is it strictly LHS only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

GBX wrote: »
    Keep the tax disc in your wallet. If you have tax and stopped by the Garda it won't be over the tax, it'll be something else. Most of them don't mind if it's not displayed once the tax is paid and you have the disc on you.

Yup, I even asked a parking inspector but not displaying my tax disc and he said that by and large they don't care if it's not shown on a bike as they know it can be stolen easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

But what do you use to cover your reg then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you go quick enough they won't be able to read it !

Ehh. You can read a reg when the front wheels up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mine was snapped off my bike, from now on its staying in my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Yup, I even asked a parking inspector but not displaying my tax disc and he said that by and large they don't care if it's not shown on a bike as they know it can be stolen easily.

Would this be a common occurrence, stolen tax discs on bikes? From another biker or what’s the point robbing a bike one?

Would this be a common occurrence, stolen tax discs on bikes? From another biker or what’s the point robbing a bike one?

Just because they can. And also for visibility from far off. Colour and dates can be enough for a wave on.

listermint wrote: »
    Just because they can. And also for visibility from far off. Colour and dates can be enough for a wave on.

Yea little dirtbags and I doubt any bike gets pulled over for tax much unless you’re acting the maggot. Has there been any novel ideas that actually work for holding the tax disc? My friend has recently bought a one like a tube (message in a bottle type one). Thinking now someone would be like hey that’s cool I’ll have that, 2 screws and away ya go. Surely there is a flat disc that would take day an Allen key to open 4/5 screws. Doubt too man dirtbags have a set of Allen keys going round.

Had one stolen before but most of the time you're alright. But wouldn't be surprised if I had one nicked again in the future.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ok ok I'll buy one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭goblin59

I've a photocopy of my tax disk under the seat with my insurance documents.
    Little ****s rob them because they can.

Can't leave anything out that can be nicked.

It's a weird one, but it's a kind of bonus on ANPR system's coming in to Ireland. No more stupid random check points of tax and insurance, because they'll already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭goblin59

It's a weird one, but it's a kind of bonus on ANPR system's coming in to Ireland. No more stupid random check points of tax and insurance, because they'll already know.

Are they doing away with displaying tax disc and NCT too?
    I know in the UK they don't have to display them anymore, its all stored online and the checks are automated via camera now

goblin59 wrote: »
    Are they doing away with displaying tax disc and NCT too?
    I know in the UK they don't have to display them anymore, its all stored online and the checks are automated via camera now

That's what ANPR is. It started testing in Dublin and expanded out a bit last year, but knowing the Gardai they probably made a right cock up of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That's what ANPR is. It started testing in Dublin and expanded out a bit last year, but knowing the Gardai they probably made a right cock up of it.

No end in sight here for discs unfortunately

I doubt they're just opportunistic thefts. I'd say they're stuck straight into a car window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

got my fresh tax disc taken in town, holder was lying next to the bike. could go onto car or another bike as hardly anybody checks the reg when on the bike

Your nearly be tempted to display a high quality copy

Your nearly be tempted to display a high quality copy

Or just display nothing at all. Keep it in your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Oxford have a metal tax disc holder, has 6 hex head screws holding the cover down. I don't think it would be easy or fast to remove.
    81bL72fAT2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭blade1

listermint wrote: »
    Or just display nothing at all. Keep it in your wallet.

Cop tried to do me for not displaying tax one time.
    He started acting the right prick because a few bikes flew past him speeding.
    I came along under speed limit and he pulled me.
    Wanted to know who the fellas that sped past him were.
    I told him them speeding has nothing to do with me.

He wrote me a ticket and while doing so he snapped at me "what date is it?"
    It was the 03/06 but I told him it was the 03/07.

He drove off and I rang the station telling them I got a ticket for no tax displayed next month,how is that even possible?

They told me bring it to the superintendent in another town the next day.
    I did and he told me forget about it.:pac:

blade1 wrote: »

He drove off and I rang the station telling them I got a ticket for no tax displayed next month,how is that even possible?

Happy ending haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Happy ending haha

I would have love to have seen his face when he realised that he'd been duped! :pac:

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »

7CT0.gif

Advertisement