Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭blade1

RSV4 ;)

Probably the Tuono 1100.
    But can't justify spending that much money on something when the shed is full of bikes already and what would be only used for going for a rip once or twice a week.
    You'd never know though

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

The constant checking Done Deal to see what’s there or if the one you want is still there makes it exciting and nail biting haha Ya it’s been a huge learning curve the last few months and the reward is coming :)
    Good luck getting your new bike hopefully you will get some weeks in the saddle before the weather turns :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

It’s 17 years since I bought my first bike, a Honda X8R 50CC moped, in the days before DoneDeal and adverts, it was walking into shops, checking the echo or the free ads, known as the pink pages here. It was a great feeling. But nothing ever beats getting that first bike. I’d love to do it all over again. What have you in mind?

One of that collection is leaving in the next week to be replaced by a vintage 80’s bike. It’s an expensive collection but I wouldn’t change it, having those 4 bikes is far less hassle than listening to my wife and the 8 kids. I know when I get on that saddle I’m free of it all if only for a short time :pac:

Cheers man, 8 kids Jesus wept lol The Bikers must be even greater ;) I’m looking at Cruiser 125cc Have my eye on a Maurader, fingers crossed looks a good well looked after machine at the price in close to wanting to pay.

Cheers man, 8 kids Jesus wept lol The Bikers must be even greater ;) I’m looking at Cruiser 125cc Have my eye on a Maurader, fingers crossed looks a good well looked after machine at the price in close to wanting to pay.

Good luck getting your new bike hopefully you will get some weeks in the saddle before the weather turns :-)

I hope to ride in most weathers but yea be great to get a run off few dryish weeks, my friend bought a bike a few days ago and it’s rained everyday since the poor fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

I'm in a bit of a conundrum, lads.

I bought my first bike in June. A Triumph Tiger 800. Bought it in Lee Honda. My father and I both finished our IBT in May and he went down to look at a Honda. Whilst he was trying to haggle Matty I sat on the Tiger and thought wow, this is incredibly comfortable.

Up to that point I had fancied the classic style of bike. Triumph Bonnies, twins, scrambler and liked the new RE Interceptor and GT also.

I got over excited and pulled the trigger straight away on the Tiger.

Now, don't get me wrong. I can't fault the Tiger. It's lovely and comfy. I've ridden for 4 hours without more than a 5 min break no bother. Plenty of power for a beginner like me. Think it has around 77kw.

My problem is I just don't love the bike. I thought I'd sit in the garage looking at it. I love the ride of it, but I just think it's an ugly bike.

I appreciate this is a first world problem.

I thought the Tiger would be good as it has off-road capabilities and would be comfortable for touring Europe etc. Problem is I got the roadie version so not much off-road, and also I have three young kids so realistically won't be going touring anywhere too far anytime soon. So any bike would do really as my spins are mainly a few hours once or twice a week.

I find myself constantly watching reviews on other bikes on YouTube. My style preference has changed also. I am getting very fond of the Yamaha MTs, Triumph Street Triple and I particularly LOVE the KTM 790 Duke.

I'm strongly considering selling the Tiger and getting a Duke. Am I mad?

The Tiger has Oxford heated grips, hand guards, engine guards etc. The Duke has none of these!

Do I need to get over it and suck it up and just appreciate I have a lovely solid comfortable bike that is perfect in a way. Or should I follow my heart and get a bike that I consider a "pretty" bike for want of a better expression?

What is people's thoughts?

PS. To the poster with EIGHT kids. Kudos man, that can't be simple! ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Perhaps look at some of the larger class KTM Adventure bikes like the 1090/1190?

I've been wanting another bike since I rode a Yamaha Tracer 900 18 months ago but just can't fund it yet but I'll be looking at a KTM 1190 first. If you have the money then go buy the bike you love but it's best to try a few first to see which excites you the most or you could end up being in the same situation with your next bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

blade1 wrote: »
    Probably the Tuono 1100.
    But can't justify spending that much money on something when the shed is full of bikes already and what would be only used for going for a rip once or twice a week.
    You'd never know though

That’s a nice bike. Sure what’s another bike :D

Nabidana wrote: »

I bought my first bike in June. A Triumph Tiger 800. Bought it in Lee Honda. My father and I both finished our IBT in May and he went down to look at a Honda. Whilst he was trying to haggle Matty I sat on the Tiger and thought wow, this is incredibly comfortable.

Up to that point I had fancied the classic style of bike. Triumph Bonnies, twins, scrambler and liked the new RE Interceptor and GT also.

Now, don't get me wrong. I can't fault the Tiger. It's lovely and comfy. I've ridden for 4 hours without more than a 5 min break no bother. Plenty of power for a beginner like me. Think it has around 77kw.

My problem is I just don't love the bike. I thought I'd sit in the garage looking at it. I love the ride of it, but I just think it's an ugly bike.

I thought the Tiger would be good as it has off-road capabilities and would be comfortable for touring Europe etc. Problem is I got the roadie version so not much off-road, and also I have three young kids so realistically won't be going touring anywhere too far anytime soon. So any bike would do really as my spins are mainly a few hours once or twice a week.

I find myself constantly watching reviews on other bikes on YouTube. My style preference has changed also. I am getting very fond of the Yamaha MTs, Triumph Street Triple and I particularly LOVE the KTM 790 Duke.

The Tiger has Oxford heated grips, hand guards, engine guards etc. The Duke has none of these!

Do I need to get over it and suck it up and just appreciate I have a lovely solid comfortable bike that is perfect in a way. Or should I follow my heart and get a bike that I consider a "pretty" bike for want of a better expression?

Did Matty come down on price? I bought my first bike in Lee in 2003, they really should have kept the city centre shop open, I hate little island. A guy I know recently bought a 2012 tiger 800 and he lives it, his uncle has a 2005 version.

As for the 8 kids, my 5 youngest are all under 3 and a half :pac: there’s a set of twins in there.

Perhaps look at some of the larger class KTM Adventure bikes like the 1090/1190?

I've been wanting another bike since I rode a Yamaha Tracer 900 18 months ago but just can't fund it yet but I'll be looking at a KTM 1190 first. If you have the money then go buy the bike you love but it's best to try a few first to see which excites you the most or you could end up being in the same situation with your next bike.

I do like the KTM’s but wouldn’t go as far as to buy one, nothing wrong with them, purely personal choice

Cheers, Reaper.

I'd be thinking getting the adventure model would be quite similar to the Tiger?

How would a man test ride a few bikes? I see there's a thread in a similar topic.

What's the etiquette in private sales? Do I hand over my license/deposit/passport(?) or whats the craic when looking for a test ride?

• Advertisement

Did Matty come down on price? I bought my first bike in Lee in 2003, they really should have kept the city centre shop open, I hate little island. A guy I know recently bought a 2012 tiger 800 and he lives it, his uncle has a 2005 version.

As for the 8 kids, my 5 youngest are all under 3 and a half :pac: there’s a set of twins in there.

He did. But he'd want to have! We bought two bikes and had both got all our gear from head to toe a few months earlier so dropped a fair amount of muladh there.

My Tiger is 2012 also. A lovely ride I must say.

I suppose my issue is, and I left this out in my first post, is I have the cash now (Tiger sale permitting). Whatever bike I settle on will be long term. Like 10 plus years minimum.

That's why I'm in a tizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Well the 1090/1190 have about 130bhp and 150bhp so the power alone should feel very different and that's probably what you're missing.

My bike is a CBF600 which is about 76BHP and was the most powerful bike I'd been on but the Tracer 900 with about 110BHP felt amazing and so much more powerful I had a grin on my face the entire time, the engine is so good. I was on the Africa Twin the same day as well and didn't take too it at all.

My bike is perfectly capable for all my uses and never misses a beat but it lacks the OOMPH factor which is why I'm looking to move. If i don't like the KTM's I'll have another go on the Tracer 900 and if I get the same feeling again I'll buy it.

For private sale give full cash in hand before having a test go and perhaps take a friend who will stay with the seller while you go out.

Cheers, Reaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Marauder 125 was my first bike some 20 years ago. Its a decent little cruiser, but it is painfully, painfully slow, even compared to other 125 cruisers. It's also a bloody small bike, it's funny because it seemed so big when I got it, but having just seen one in the last week or so I realised it was much smaller than I thought.

Not sure if you've answered this, but how old are you?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Marauder 125 was my first bike some 20 years ago. Its a decent little cruiser, but it is painfully, painfully slow, even compared to other 125 cruisers. It's also a bloody small bike, it's funny because it seemed so big when I got it, but having just seen one in the last week or so I realised it was much smaller than I thought.

Not sure if you've answered this, but how old are you?

Yea I haven’t seen it up close yet, I need it to do the basic job of driving out the road and back for a while until I build up my confidence to go finish the A licence. I’m 40. Any other cruisers you’d recommend at 125? Have A1 for 125cc.

Yea I haven’t seen it up close yet, I need it to do the basic job of driving out the road and back for a while until I build up my confidence to go finish the A licence. I’m 40. Any other cruisers you’d recommend at 125? Have A1 for 125cc.

To be absolutely and completely honest, I'd say shag the A1 and get the A licence done, even as a Learner licence. Then aim for at least a 500cc bike, like a Virago or Shadow.

A 125 bike will feel painfully slow after just a few days, with many of the cruiser types struggling to get to 100km/h or even 120km/h.

I've a Dragstar 650 which I absolutely adore, it's great as a learner bike and even if you're experienced it chews up the miles. I got mine a little over a year ago and in about 6 months of actual riding I've stacked up well over 7,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be absolutely and completely honest, I'd say shag the A1 and get the A licence done, even as a Learner licence. Then aim for at least a 500cc bike, like a Virago or Shadow.

A 125 bike will feel painfully slow after just a few days, with many of the cruiser types struggling to get to 100km/h or even 120km/h.

I've a Dragstar 650 which I absolutely adore, it's great as a learner bike and even if you're experienced it chews up the miles. I got mine a little over a year ago and in about 6 months of actual riding I've stacked up well over 7,000 miles.

This board has split into two camps recently: :D

'Banana should buy a 500'
    and
    'Leave Banana to his 125'

and

Nah feck the 125. Be grand to learn on but he'd lose his mind after a few weeks, and you can buy a 500+ bike for the same money. Sure I got my Dragstar for €3k and looking at DoneDeal, that's what you'd pay for a 125.

What do you think of this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-virago-125cc-bobber/25668629

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

No risks being taken by me tonight here in Cork, into the shed they go.

1-B82-A0-B3-C937-4741-AF96-DDCD583151-CD.jpg

Jaysus I'd love to enough spare time to cover 4 bikes in a shed.

• Advertisement

and

AKA the right and the wrong groups.. And a splinter group from the rights, the "ah I give ups!"

She’s wild haha looks like a great job done on her in fairness.

zubair wrote: »
    I said this on the done deal thread before. If you weren't in the market for that bike before I wouldn't let someone throw you off your original plan with a swap sale. I would consider a swap a time waster unless they were swapping with what I was planning to buy in the first place. Imo you should forget about it, wait for a serious buyer with the cash it won't be long, DL 650 is an easy sell.

Nearly 1600 views on close to 9 days, with 8 people watching it, I’d say the swap sale is the way I’m going, the dealer was in touch with me yesterday to say he’d check over the GPZ as he will not let it go if it’s not right he’s a really genuine guy, very likeable. With Covid I’d say cash buyers are few and far between for private sales of that value at least.

:D

You lucky f**ker with a backrest :p

H_Lime wrote: »
    I'd say a caliper rebuild might be in order. A handy job for ya.
    For the rear anything non sintered does me.

You might be on the money here, when I moved them into the shed last night I could hear the pad, or what’s left of it, mad rattling in the caliper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Buy the duke!

I have one and absolutely love it.

Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

I got ktm heated grips and after market engine protectors.

I also came from an adventure bike, totally different, but for me much better.

As for test rides, book in a test ride with McCallens in NI, you may have to pay for it, but totally worth it to get a feel.

If I was selling privately, no test ride without me holding your passport/license and the price of the bike.

You bin it/scratch/damage it, you own it.

Nearly 1600 views on close to 9 days, with 8 people watching it, I’d say the swap sale is the way I’m going, the dealer was in touch with me yesterday to say he’d check over the GPZ as he will not let it go if it’s not right he’s a really genuine guy, very likeable. With Covid I’d say cash buyers are few and far between for private sales of that value at least.

They're really solid figures lad for 9 days and 1 weekend. Patience is key. Dealers are always the first to swoop in.

zubair wrote: »
    They're really solid figures lad for 9 days and 1 weekend. Patience is key. Dealers are always the first to swoop in.

I'm patient alright, no qualms with that. I see what you mean on the dealers, valid point. In the back of my head if i thought i could afford to keep it and buy the GPZ i would, but the most i would get into that shed of mine is 5 maybe 6 at a push, then the added bills of a wife and 8 kids on top of it, but not impossible mind you.

I'm patient alright, no qualms with that. I see what you mean on the dealers, valid point. In the back of my head if i thought i could afford to keep it and buy the GPZ i would, but the most i would get into that shed of mine is 5 maybe 6 at a push, then the added bills of a wife and 8 kids on top of it, but not impossible mind you.

On a maths basis I think you need a bike for each kid :D just saying :D

• Advertisement

Some idiots out there :rolleyes:

824579-D1-DA09-4-EA8-8-C9-A-DE5-BE3-C34-C61.png

Advertisement