Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Some Irish bricks and mortar bike dealers / retailers really make it hard for you to give them business. Called one yesterday to enquire about an airbag vest. None my size in stock, they also had no idea how long it would take to get them in - no offer to find out or order one in. Then their pricing is €100 over what it would cost me from virtually any other online dealer or even for me to buy it directly from Dainese. Absolutely mad stuff.

Don't get me started on none of them opening on Sundays. I fecking hate Halfords but end up having to give them business if I need chain cleaner or similar on a Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I got a pretty old sat nav with the GS 1200 when I bought it, and have concluded its rubbish and my phone would suit it better.
    Am I able to use the 2 connectors shown in the photo to attach a usb connection instead? Or remove both and re-wire?

1qwshr2vl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭goblin59

There should be a DIN socket on your motorcycle somewhere to plug a USB adapter into.
    theres two on the 2005 R1200GS.

under the petrol tank is a dedicated switched power supply for the GPS, I have my garmin hooked up to that.

https://www.nippynormans.com/f800-adventure/nippy-normans-dual-usb-socket-for-bmw-motorcycles-plug-and-play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

dmigsy wrote: »
    Some Irish bricks and mortar bike dealers / retailers really make it hard for you to give them business. Called one yesterday to enquire about an airbag vest. None my size in stock, they also had no idea how long it would take to get them in - no offer to find out or order one in. Then their pricing is €100 over what it would cost me from virtually any other online dealer or even for me to buy it directly from Dainese. Absolutely mad stuff.

Don't get me started on none of them opening on Sundays. I fecking hate Halfords but end up having to give them business if I need chain cleaner or similar on a Sunday afternoon.

tenor.gif?itemid=8531428

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

What polish do ye all use for the chrome and tank parts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,280 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Autosol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Autosol is fantastic for chrome parts. I like to go over everything with Vulcanet first of all to clean up all the grease and muck on there, and then go with the Autosol.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Not sure how it works on chrome but ACF50 is the job on the tank and plastics and corrosion protection. I give my deauville and Valkyrie a going over 3 times a year. Once each side of winter (October/March) and once more in the middle of the summer. Just don't get it on the brakes, tyres, foot pegs and grips

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

IJS84 wrote: »
    Not sure how it works on chrome but ACF50 is the job on the tank and plastics and corrosion protection. I give my deauville and Valkyrie a going over 3 times a year. Once each side of winter (October/March) and once more in the middle of the summer. Just don't get it on the brakes, tyres, foot pegs and grips

Yep, big fan of ACF50 here. Never used it on plastics as its corrosion prevention and it leaves a gunky film afterwards so I never personally use it on plastics.

I love to clean my exhaust with WD40, brings it up very very well.

blade1 wrote: »
    Autosol

Ordered it there tonight, cheers. Washed the bike tonight with hot water and it cleans up so nice, might not have the bike long once I get up and running plus nice to hand someone else their first bike in the future and it’s gleaming the way I’ve bought it. I’ll order in that ACF50 soon too. Bought Keyrings and bike decals with my Instagram name so spending money like goodo already lol many happy euros to be spent ahead :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dmigsy wrote: »

to be fair very accurate, Why not close on mondays or tuesday or even wednesday. Weekend work is retails bread and butter. The notion they operate in some sort of motor/servicing industry entirely is old hat. It cant cut it in a digital age. The whole benefit of a brick store is its accessible there and then and they should be using that to their advantage.

listermint wrote: »
    to be fair very accurate, Why not close on mondays or tuesday or even wednesday. Weekend work is retails bread and butter. The notion they operate in some sort of motor/servicing industry entirely is old hat. It cant cut it in a digital age. The whole benefit of a brick store is its accessible there and then and they should be using that to their advantage.

Them and car dealerships would make a killing if they opened on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was out cycling this evening and every light I hit was red, however when I'm cycling I tend to track stand at the lights which is basically balancing on the bike, both feet on the pedals and then bolt when I get the green light.

I am waiting for the day I have a brain fart and try to track stand on the cbr and end up on my hole

zubair wrote: »
    Them and car dealerships would make a killing if they opened on Sundays.

Whatever about Sundays but the fact all the places I know of in Dublin don't even open on Mondays

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

I was out cycling this evening and every light I hit was red, however when I'm cycling I tend to track stand at the lights which is basically balancing on the bike, both feet on the pedals and then bolt when I get the green light.

I am waiting for the day I have a brain fart and try to track stand on the cbr and end up on my hole

I always find myself checking mirrors that don't exist.

I'd say doing this on your bicycle is good for your slow speed control on your motorbike. I often try and creep up to a red as slow as I can and try not to put the foot down, it keeps me entertained.
    Whatever about Sundays but the fact all the places I know of in Dublin don't even open on Mondays

They close Mondays because they open Saturdays. But bike shops could clean up if they did free coffee on a Sunday and became a meeting point. Right Jimmy, lets quit our jobs and start a Sunday only bike shop, I'll call dragons den, you get the coffee, just the instant stuff, we don't want to spend a lot of money.

I'd say doing this on your bicycle is good for your slow speed control on your motorbike. I often try and creep up to a red as slow as I can and try not to put the foot down, it keeps me entertained.

They close Mondays because they open Saturdays. But bike shops could clean up if they did free coffee on a Sunday and became a meeting point. Right Jimmy, lets quit our jobs and start a Sunday only bike shop, I'll call dragons den, you get the coffee, just the instant stuff, we don't want to spend a lot of money.

Jimmy and Zubairs Motorbike Repairs ( has a ring to it plus 10% for me for coming up with the name ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I always find myself checking mirrors that don't exist.

likewise

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was considering fitting a voice activated bluetooth mic and earphones into my crash helmet. I keep the phone in my pocket. A bit of music on a longer spin might be good too.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I was considering fitting a voice activated bluetooth mic and earphones into my crash helmet. I keep the phone in my pocket. A bit of music on a longer spin might be good too.

Any suggestions?

Can't say much about the voice activation aspect, but I fitted a bluetooth set before my moto-camping trip with the missus for intercom. Since then, I've used it loads for music and love it; most of my commuting is motorway, so it's monotonous and the music is a welcome entertainment, though not distracting.

We went for the Fodsports BT-S3 and I'm very happy with them. They're not perfect, but they're close enough to recommend.

Any suggestions?

could always get this
    https://www.midlandeurope.com/en/p/btt-button-motorbike-ptt.html

it works with the midlands app, so turns your phone into a bluetooth intercom.

I got a midlands headset off ebay, should have it on thursday, got a brand new BTx1 pro for £57 in an auction.

• Advertisement

Any suggestions?

I've a sena 20s and paired with my Samsung. If you hit the button on the back of the Sena It activates Google assistant. You can then ask it to do anything.

E.g Google what time is it. Google what is the weather. Google give me directions to X. Google play newstalk radio from tunein , Google play Spotify. Etc etc etc etc

Note this unit also supports plug in earphones so if you want to improve sound and remove the wind noise tenitus thing then I have a pair of Shure in ear headphones plugged into it. That's up to you though.

I've a sena 20s and paired with my Samsung. If you hit the button on the back of the Sena It activates Google assistant. You can then ask it to do anything.

E.g Google what time is it. Google what is the weather. Google give me directions to X. Google play newstalk radio from tunein , Google play Spotify. Etc etc etc etc

Note this unit also supports plug in earphones so if you want to improve sound and remove the wind noise tenitus thing then I have a pair of Shure in ear headphones plugged into it. That's up to you though.

Google how do i pull a wheelie

goblin59 wrote: »
    Google how do i pull a wheelie

It'll tell ya :P

Pressing buttons is for suckers. Get a cardo. LOL

525767.jpeg

Got the bike serviced today in Dohertys Waterford for 85 euro, very happy with it, Choke cable and Sprokets to be done in a few weeks too. Only dropped it in yesterday morning and bike was ready this morning. Worth checking out if you are in the area, sound fella to talk to aswell. Happy the bike I bought is good, he said few bolts were crossed threaded whoever serviced it before but nothing major.

Ye, rounded and cross threaded bolts are standard on all 2nd hand bikes.

Not sure what work you got done and no harm in your first service being with a mechanic but look into doing some of the basic stuff yourself. Oil change, chain adjustment , brake calipers, are all very hand jobs and you only need a few spanners.

Ye, rounded and cross threaded bolts are standard on all 2nd hand bikes.

Not sure what work you got done and no harm in your first service being with a mechanic but look into doing some of the basic stuff yourself. Oil change, chain adjustment , brake calipers, are all very hand jobs and you only need a few spanners.

Going ahead yea but the first one I’m happy to get it done from a mechanic and get a full check that I wouldn’t know. Cheers Zubair.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

to be fair very accurate, Why not close on mondays or tuesday or even wednesday.

Nearly all of them close on a Monday so they're halfway there :pac:

Motorcycle dealers here are almost all very long established family owned businesses, very set in their ways.

Tax disc arrived in the post.

I was thinking of buying a plastic holder and putting that on the bike keyring. A bit bulky perhaps.

Courier chic :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

Have a day off and was going to go for a spin to one of the photorally points but the weather seems to be greasy everywhere within shooting distance. Sadface.

Advertisement