Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E global central

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rocuronium

mefistos wrote: »
    to be honest its in the Terms and Conditions (that they may require a proof of address...) and by purchasing an item you agreed to them.. if you didnt read them before buying anything its your problem really... so the only thing you should regret is not reading terms and conditions...

I did read the terms and conditions and I take no issue with them wanting to verify I am who I say I am and live where I say I live. My post actually related to the process of meeting the terms and conditions. I have never been asked to furnish documents such as passports and driving licences to complete a transaction online for a product which I have already paid for. In fact, most people would agree that sending colour scans of sensitive documents to vendors in other countries, let alone other continents is unusual at best and risky at worst.

With respect, were I to have my passport or driving licence cloned and my identity stolen, I can imagine a similar post, pointing out that "it's my problem" for sending copies of my identification documents to little known vendors on the other side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

rocuronium wrote: »
    I did read the terms and conditions and I take no issue with them wanting to verify I am who I say I am and live where I say I live. My post actually related to the process of meeting the terms and conditions. I have never been asked to furnish documents such as passports and driving licences to complete a transaction online for a product which I have already paid for. In fact, most people would agree that sending colour scans of sensitive documents to vendors in other countries, let alone other continents is unusual at best and risky at worst.

With respect, were I to have my passport or driving licence cloned and my identity stolen, I can imagine a similar post, pointing out that "it's my problem" for sending copies of my identification documents to little known vendors on the other side of the world.

I agree 100% that you should not have to send Scans (Colour or not) of ID documents - especially to a company who make their prices attractive by flouting International Customs laws by wrongly declaring goods and values.
    Ps - Driving licences here do have an expiry date for each category (o the Pink Paper versions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

I forwarded my passport but I blacked out everything on it except the expiry date and my name. They accepted it as all they needed was name and picture to match. There was no way I was sending passport with number and DOB in full view to a random company.

I also sent letter head of a bank statement with only the address and date showing. No bank details. This was also accepted.

Just be wise with what you are sending.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Aventure4

I forwarded my passport but I blacked out everything on it except the expiry date and my name. They accepted it as all they needed was name and picture to match. There was no way I was sending passport with number and DOB in full view to a random company.

I also sent letter head of a bank statement with only the address and date showing. No bank details. This was also accepted.

Just be wise with what you are sending.

Yeh, I think that's the right way to do it. Will copy you next time lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I had the same argument with focalprice, they wanted a scan of my credit card front. I sent them a scan with all but the last 4 numbers and my name blacked out and all was well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

Bought the Nikon D5300 last Thursday and it arrived this morning. No customs issues. Invoice says "Camera Parts €17". Camera is brand new and the user manual is English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maggy86

Hi ive ordered nikon d5300 with 18-140 on 7th june. Today i was talking to sales & support chat online and she said that my camera was picked up by courier today and i should expect trackung no within 24h. Usually it takes 3-4 days max she said. I've bought insured delivery- cost me €13.99 but just wanted to make sure I will get money back if something happen.
    Also I asked her if I have to pay any taxes and she said no. They ship all orders with special logistics arrangment and therefore all I need to pay is the price on website. No vat, no import fees. Any vat or customs duties incurred will be settle by them. The price on website is the final price.
    Will see , will let you know.

I didn't have to give them my proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Maggy86 wrote: »
    Hi ive ordered nikon d5300 with 18-140 on 7th june. Today i was talking to sales & support chat online and she said that my camera was picked up by courier today and i should expect trackung no within 24h. Usually it takes 3-4 days max she said. I've bought insured delivery- cost me €13.99 but just wanted to make sure I will get money back if something happen.
    Also I asked her if I have to pay any taxes and she said no. They ship all orders with special logistics arrangment and therefore all I need to pay is the price on website. No vat, no import fees. Any vat or customs duties incurred will be settle by them. The price on website is the final price.
    Will see , will let you know.

I didn't have to give them my proof of address.
    The special shipping agreement is putting lithium ion batteries on the customs manifest valued at less than €40. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

Sheeps wrote: »
    The special shipping agreement is putting lithium ion batteries on the customs manifest valued at less than €40. : )

Or electronic parts worth €17. But for me doesn't matter what they declare. The final result is the most important to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Piotrek82

I know ppl who sent all documents needed to verify paypal,passport etc and they did that and all was sorted out,they're not scamers.I paid with debit card no problems with verification

• Advertisement

Piotrek82 wrote: »
    I know ppl who sent all documents needed to verify paypal,passport etc and they did that and all was sorted out,they're not scamers.I paid with debit card no problems with verification

Me too. I paid by debit card. And there was no prob.
    On order I had camera part worth €19 !
    Don't care what they do, I bought the cheapest nikon d5300 with camera with lens I ever could get. ;);) €300 more in my pocket;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Hi All,

Considering taking the risk of purchasing a canon camera with these guys. About 150 eur cheaper than anywhere else. Have many people got stung with import taxes? Also is all the manuals etc in Chinese etc?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

I didn't get charged any taxes and all the manuals were in English. The camera language (Nikon D5300) was in English too.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Considering taking the risk of purchasing a canon camera with these guys. About 150 eur cheaper than anywhere else. Have many people got stung with import taxes? Also is all the manuals etc in Chinese etc?

thanks

I found only possitive opinion, that's way I decided to deal with them. Also spoke to them online and they pay for all taxes. Probably u gonna get invoice like I've got and others- camera part.
    Manual is in English.
    I'll definitely back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Nonamigo

Placed an order for canon 700d last thursday, got it delivered on monday. unreal:) no VAT and everything is in english

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Nonamigo wrote: »
    Placed an order for canon 700d last thursday, got it delivered on monday. unreal:) no VAT and everything is in english

did you pay through credit card or paypal etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Nonamigo

did you pay through credit card or paypal etc?

Paypal.
    I also used NS201410EUR for 10 euro discount. There is also one BUY599 for 5.99 euro. Case sensetive. Oh and no, im not related to them anyhow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

I read every post on this thread 2 or 3 times trying to decide whether or not to purchase on this site. I wanted to get a canon speedlite 430 ex II and a canon 70d with a 18-138mm STM lens. With little confidence I ordered the speedlite, it arrived 3 days later for the price advertised on the site - I couldn't believe how quickly it arrived. I subsequently ordered the 70d and lens, both arrived in 3-4 days, price as advertised. Great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

The amount of rubbish talked on this thread is beyond me... It's as simple as this: Use E Global Central if you want to take a chance on buying a product a lot cheaper than you can buy in a shop at home or most other online shops. The chance you take is that the product is fake and/or it gets stopped at customs.

Some like me are willing to take the chance, some aren't...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Toine

Just want to add my positive experience to this thread. Because after reading this I decide to buy a 17-250m sigma lens from EGlobal. Half price compared to Irish prices. Ordered on Wednesday, paid 5€ for insured shipment and was very surprised to receive the lens on Friday afternoon of the same week! No import taxed,manual in English,a all good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

After checking this thread out, I decided to pull the trigger and purchase from these guys during the week. I had the camera in my possession about 36 hours after ordering (using paypal). I used the free shipping option which turned out to be express worldwide when it arrived. Camera settings, manuals in English and from the box it looks like its meant for sale in Europe. Oh and most importantly no custom/VAT charges :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Hey guys, first of all thanks for all the info in this thread so far. I went ahead and ordered an LG G Pro 2 for 330 delivered due to the amount of positive stories on here, all the time knowing there stood a chance I`d get stung for VAT. I ordered it 6 days ago and I received it this morning from DHL with no customs charges. It was marked as Lithium ion batteries. Same phone on amazon uk is around 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SLyn9745

Hey guys, first of all thanks for all the info in this thread so far. I went ahead and ordered an LG G Pro 2 for 330 delivered due to the amount of positive stories on here, all the time knowing there stood a chance I`d get stung for VAT. I ordered it 6 days ago and I received it this morning from DHL with no customs charges. It was marked as Lithium ion batteries. Same phone on amazon uk is around 600.

Hey could you post a pic of the packaging for the phone. Thinking of ordering the Sony Xperia Z utra for €285 (€330 on Expansys/€530 littlewoods Irl). If i did get charged vat it should b between (€50-60) and is still cheaper then other sites. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

Just to add not so pleasant experience with eglobalcentral.eu lately. Despite the fact I've been a happy customer with them if buying camera lenses mostly, I recommended them my housemate when he was considering the Sony Xperia Z2 tablet. After the payment went through he received the tracking number and kept waiting patiently. It is important to underscore here, the service used was UPS. After a week or so, he received the letter from tax office. He had to pay nearly 130euro in total as an extra (VAT, import duty and other mickey mouse fees).

Lesson learned? Well, it's hard to say if the size of the package and another courier service (no DHL, but UPS) used were the 2 main factors that caused all this pain. The actual goods (tablet and accessories) are fine, no problems there whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

What happens if you dont want to pay the Duty can you send it back and get your money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SLyn9745

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    What happens if you dont want to pay the Duty can you send it back and get your money back?

Depends what you're buying. Mobile phone are duty free as far as I know. It would be the 23% VAT u would have to pay. If u don't pay it's seized and destroyed? Sending it bck is your own cost to Hong Kong €60+ I think?

SLyn9745 wrote: »
    Depends what you're buying. Mobile phone are duty free as far as I know. It would be the 23% VAT u would have to pay. If u don't pay it's seized and destroyed? Sending it bck is your own cost to Hong Kong €60+ I think?

Thanks, thinking of getting a camera that costs 2,000 on the site.
    60 to send it back wouldn't bother me rather than god knows how much duty

So I asked on their live chat:
    we ship our orders with special logistics arrangement and therefore all you will need to pay is the prices on website, no VAT, import fees nor hidden charges involved for the customer on any order. Any VAT or customs duties incurred will be settle by eGlobaL. The price you see on the website is the final price you pay for the product.
    how come I'm hearing about people who say they have to pay duty on their camera at customs then?
    CS1 - Sales & Support
    in case the customer pays the VAT we reimburse them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Cameras are not exempt from VAT, but they are exempt from Duty. If you get charged VAT eglobal should pay you back the cost. You probably wont tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHPhoto

I have used this crowd without any problems. Great prices and delivery was much quicker than expected.

• Advertisement

IHPhoto wrote: »
    I have used this crowd without any problems. Great prices and delivery was much quicker than expected.

What did you buy?

Advertisement