Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BATTLEFRONT (by DICE)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've played a small bit of this. It can be fun but there are a lot of annoyances mostly due how they've made it battlefield lite. The Mario Kart powerups are awful. It feels almost like Battlefield Heros.

It looks great and really captures the Star Wars feel but not going to pick it up at launch tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

Well what did everyone think?

I liked the game, it is definitely fun and given that my kids will like it and we can play split screen co-op together I certainly will buy it.

Walker Assault is totally incredible in terms of visuals, idea and epic-ness BUT of course there are glaring issues with people not having a clue what is going on and how to win as rebels. When I played the rebels won a lot more than YouTube commentators are saying but it was still probably only 1 in 5/6 games.

In Walker Assault I liked that the turrets had some purpose and I did have fun fighting in the air, it may be arcadey but it was great fun; not being able to get out of the aircraft is brilliant and either should be adopted for BF games or have it that you can get out but can then only equip a pistol. This would stop recons using the jets as taxis.

I also like the manner in which you get into vehicles or avail of power-ups… I didn’t think Id like it but in the end it is good as it adds some variation. I wouldn’t like it adopted for BF5 though.

Downsides are certainly the balance for Walker Assault, the fact that guns just seem the same and kind of boring… they sound the game, feel the same (more or less) and have no real variation. Also dislike the card system because in time everyone will have the same loadout. I rarely changed mine so I found I was using the same gun and same loadout most of the time – that got tiring very fast. The jetpack is a pain in the neck too, there should be some delay because it is such an easy out to deploy it when losing a firefight – that gets frustrating.

Overall it is a good effort… am I dying to play other maps? Not really because I just cant see the variation in this game in terms of gameplay. If the AT-ST is dominating; tough luck really as you can do feck all about it unless you get a suitable power-up. In BF I could move to engineer/support or even recon and make it my job to take the vehicle out. In SWBF I feel because I can’t do so I am a spectator sometimes and can’t really make that much of a difference to the win and loss. This means when I win or loss I actually don’t really care because the game passed me by.

The same can be said of the scoreboard; if you don’t get into the AT-AT or AT-ST you are not going to top the scoreboard so why really care… again I just mucked about and enjoyed the visuals!

Dropzone doesn’t interest me; it is as good as that type of gameplay gets but infantry 24/7 running around just bores me after 10 minutes. I will give that a miss.

By the way I didn't have one connection issue in around 6 hours on PS4 - worded flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I was hoping it would be a star wars version of battlefield like everyone seems to think it is, I wish! I don't see the resemblance but I never played battlefront so I don't know how much it's changed. I wouldn't even consider it a fps, everyone in 3rd person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I put 100's of hours into the older Battlefront games and I find people keep saying stop comparing this to Battlefield, compare it to Battlefront!

Well....it's not like Battlefront and Battlefront 2 at all. Those games were more arcade than Battlefield admittedly, but they were broadly similar.

They had open maps which allowed for numerous sections in which localized battles raged, you had to spawn into/climb into vehicles, AT-AT's were totally player controlled, and it had a class system - so on the likes of Endor, taking down AT-ST's was possible with a decent team who adapted to suit the need.

In this....you can't do any of that. You're shoehorned into a very specific part of the map and the lack of any sort of class system is madness when you give one team an overwhelming number of powerful vehicles.

Playing as the rebels was mostly totally painful. I played as empire twice and both times it was laughable, I had about 25 kills and one or two deaths.

I get that it's a beta and the full game should offer more but I'm concerned that if they thought this was absolutely the best part of the game they had to offer as the hook....then it's just not worth buying.

This is closer to Call of Duty than Battlefront 2 to be perfectly honest. If you play 64-player Hoth on Battlefront 2, it's still so much better.

AT-AT's are player controlled, the rebels have taun-tauns, the map is way bigger and allows for battles to rage in different areas, snow-speeders can trip up AT-AT's like the movie, the imperial side has no tie-fighters to balance out the AT-ATs and AT-STs, there's a class system, and there is more players as well.

Oh...and they have the correct version of Luke, in his rebel pilot gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Had to refresh my memory of the old Battlefront Hoth missions and I agree with what people are saying, that was a better map, it was more faithful to the film anyways.

The Hoth map in the new Battlefront, seems to be a non canonical revision of the Hoth battle, with Y Wings and Tie Fighters and a new lay out (minus tauntauns.)

I'd forgive the new Battlefront for putting its own twist on the battle, but I think the battle is over far too quick with the Empire winning in most cases.

Also, I think it does need a class system or at least some cards that could set you up as some sort of anti vehicle troop so you can react when there is an AT-ST or Tie wrecking havoc.

• Advertisement

If they put in a class system people would cry "battlefield reskined".

If they don't, people cry "no class system".

Sometimes they can't win; personally really dislike not having classes... when I die I am hoping to be revived to no avail!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

To me there are so many better shooters out there now why bother with this?

Judged soley on its mechanics,depth and balance it looks like coming up very short when compared to shooters out there already.

As a fan service for Star Wars though i think it looks to have done a decent job. The audio and visuals are spot on for star wars fans and they will enjoy that.

So i dont think this game is aimed at people who like there fps games,i think its aimed at people who love star wars and want a game set in that universe. Where they can immerse themselves in the good visuals and accurate audio. Which this game supplies.

And by shooter fans i meam those who play the likes of CoD,BF,Counter Strike etc. All much better shooters than this imo

TL;DR Games is made for Star Wars fans not fans of fps games imo

EoinHef wrote: »
    To me there are so many better shooters out there now why bother with this?

Judged soley on its mechanics,depth and balance it looks like coming up very short when compared to shooters out there already.

As a fan service for Star Wars though i think it looks to have done a decent job. The audio and visuals are spot on for star wars fans and they will enjoy that.

So i dont think this game is aimed at people who like there fps games,i think its aimed at people who love star wars and want a game set in that universe. Where they can immerse themselves in the good visuals and accurate audio. Which this game supplies.

And by shooter fans i meam those who play the likes of CoD,BF,Counter Strike etc. All much better shooters than this imo

TL;DR Games is made for Star Wars fans not fans of fps games imo

Yes for PC players but console players have nothing; Destiny is crap, COD is always crap, dont have Verdun, Counter Strike, that world war 2 game etc etc. All we have is BF4 and Hardline (which I still do play now and again)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well xbox players get halo 5

also rainbow six siege is really bloody good.

well xbox players get halo 5

also rainbow six siege is really bloody good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes for PC players but console players have nothing; Destiny is crap, COD is always crap, dont have Verdun, Counter Strike, that world war 2 game etc etc. All we have is BF4 and Hardline (which I still do play now and again)

Well im only a few hours into Destiny and I think its actually a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Battlefield, halo and now hardline seen as it's free on ea access

Enough to keep me going all year round so I'm happy enough I don't have to get this

Can't stand Halo games... seriously think they are the most over-rated games in history, well maybe Cod - who knows.

31 bullets to down an enemy... awful stuff.

Consoles need more FPSs... it is a shocker.

rainbow six siege then. takes a single button to put most down and it is a lot of fun multiplayer experience.

"@Ninami2525 There will be one map on each of the four planets that support Walker Assault."

Thats just awful; focus on making these tiny crap maps to maximise profit. Gamechanger for me, I hate dominatiion/TDM type game modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

"@Ninami2525 There will be one map on each of the four planets that support Walker Assault."

What are the other maps and modes so?

Sounds fairly lite on maps if Walker Assault is the main game mode and there are only four maps for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

This game is looking so good:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Looking forrward to it. The voice acting is off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I dont think it will be a bad game, just not the type of game I play. To me its a star wars game and if your mad into that you will have a blast.

The battlefield player in me sees it as another Hardline (a mod) it reminds me of the OCEAN games in the 80/90s where it exploit the licence to sell games.

I wont be buying it, was on all alpha beta etc. Its just not for me.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Looking forward to playing this today. Just started downloading.

I liked the smaller game mode in the beta where you capture the drop pods. The intensity was great.

Playing it now on XB1 with EA Access. It looks absolutely gorgeous :D

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Playing it now on XB1 with EA Access. It looks absolutely gorgeous :D

*extends hand at distance, force chokes Misky

*extends hand at distance, force chokes Misky

Hey you should have had it pre-ordered & pre-loaded :P

This game is great for background wallpapers! (Sorry for potato quality!)

VsQcQiR.jpg?1

rZEB4E5.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Any way to play it on PS4 today? I loved the beta but I didn't pre-order.

EGriff wrote: »
    Any way to play it on PS4 today? I loved the beta but I didn't pre-order.
    No, unfortunately not for another week on PS4.

Epic fail; basically a few maps per mode... they carved it up to make it sounds like a load of maps.

More BS marketing ploys.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/3siqr5/map_list_with_game_mode/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Epic fail; basically a few maps per mode... they carved it up to make it sounds like a load of maps.

More BS marketing ploys.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/3siqr5/map_list_with_game_mode/

Wasn't that what pretty much everyone expected? Looks fine to me. I'm sure they'll add more. The level of detail is pretty astonishing, these aren't just generic bland maps. I'd say they poured thousands of man hours into them. More maps would mean more delays.

Advertisement