Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BATTLEFRONT (by DICE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Very much enjoying it the last 2 hours.
    GTX 970 as well. Generally same as D with 80-100 on ultra. If I drop down to high I get an easy 120+.

It really looks beyond beautiful. Blows BF4 gfx out of the water.

Only gripe is that so far - no one on my teams have been ptfoing on Drop Zone. Very annoying when I seem like the only one :P
    Lvl 4 atm. Give me one more for jet pack :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Went 59-3 there now, people running around like lemmings = easy meat ,it really is an objective based game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I don't know if there are bugs, but experienced some strange things...
    For example, there was a guy sitting still, I "emptied a magazine" on him, mostly headshots, from 3-4 meters away, and he lived, while I was dying with the same weapon in 4-5 shots. Of course I do not know the upgrades someone could use, except the shield, which was not activated.
    Looks good though, but needs work.

biggest annoyance so far - Vehicle sensitivity.

Set it low for the turrents - Can't do $hit in a fighers, set it high for the fighters, barely touch mouse and you're swinging 720 degrees in a turret.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 adamshare01

Battlefront 2 was, and still is, an epic game. Must have put 100's of hours into it on the Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The game looks stunning. Really captures the feel (and sounds) of Star Wars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played an hour or so there. I could see the standard Drop Zone become a wee bit tedious if there's not a whole lot of map variety. It's nice and fast paced, but maybe lacking that special something.

Walker Assault is a whole lot more dynamic, although fairly overwhelming first time about. It definitely nails the look and feel of the original trilogy, and the more complex map keeps everything moving. It did take me a few turns to figure out how to actually do anything without getting destroyed by an AT-AT though :o

Plays really well on PC, and their lobby system at least at this stage seems impeccable. It seems to be constantly matchmaking in the background, so by the time I'm done messing around in the menus there's usually a full game ready to go. If they can maintain that, it will be impressive - feels very painless at the moment (eagerly awaits inevitable pain).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Hurry up and download dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Played about an hour of it there and i do not see what all the fuss is about, what am I missing? Do you need a group of 40 players who know what they are doing to have a good game?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Was slightly concerned by the system requirements, but my fx6300 and r9 270 runs it at a comfortable 60+fps on High preset. Looks great too.

Played a few rounds of drop zone, seems fun so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

VinLieger wrote: »
    Do you need a group of 40 players who know what they are doing to have a good game?
    In all Battlefield style games, yes, you need players who know what they are doing. Not 40, but at least a good squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

fecking cannot get this loaded, only getting black screen then an error that game has stopped, so far I have updated GPU drivers, reinstalled Origin, deleted and downloaded game. fairly pissed, I only reimaged the PC a few months ago so don't fancy doing that again.

I see some talk of this online , have tried forcing it to windowed mode and still same.

Any other suggestions ?

Wizard! wrote: »
    In all Battlefield style games, yes, you need players who know what they are doing. Not 40, but at least a good squad.

So they made a game that requires co-ordination but theres no guaranteed way of joining a server with your party and ending up on the same team :confused::confused::confused:

Recorded every game I was playing yesterday. Logged off for an hour. Back on. Wen't completely HAM in Drop Zone - going 17-0 can capping and defending 4 pods practically solo and guess what? I forgot to record it :(
    The Jet Pack, nade and pistol combo is hulla strong on that map.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

bennyc wrote: »
    fecking cannot get this loaded, only getting black screen then an error that game has stopped, so far I have updated GPU drivers, reinstalled Origin, deleted and downloaded game. fairly pissed, I only reimaged the PC a few months ago so don't fancy doing that again.

I see some talk of this online , have tried forcing it to windowed mode and still same.

Any other suggestions ?

Was working fine for me on PC yesterday, then I updated the GPU driver and it stopped working, had to roll back the driver and it was fine then after, yet the driver was specifically updated for Battlefront... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Very surprised with how good this beta looks, even on the XBOX one, I was expecting it to be disappointed.

I was very pleasantly surprised.

My only complaint is I found the A-Wings and Tie Fighters had to control. But thats just me, I am crap at aerial vehicles in BF type games anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

Works a dream on PS4 so far, graphics are unreal, a real step up "next-gen" some might say. Dropped old gen has definitely helped I think.

Actually a very good game but I do have some issues with certain aspects:

<> it is a lone wolf game entirely, no real interaction with team-mates and something I find kind of shallow

<> not having a penalty for 3rd person hip-firing is a flawed game design... shooters should promote aiming and this doesnt

<> the heros are the most annoying thing in the world... yes it even beats the AC130 from BF3/BF4. I can't stand them and wish they were removed or nerfed to oblivion.

<> I struggle with having just one class and having no secondary weapon (of sorts)... just seems like all I am doing is playing, killing, respawning etc. Gets a little tiring. Also the option of respawning as "engineer" or "support" to take out vehicles isnt there meaning I feel I am not as involved in the drama, merely a peripheral figure

Overall more positives than negatives and I will buy it. Will I be dying to see new maps...not really as the gameplay isn't diverse enough anyway, the new map is just a backdrop. Will i be playing it in March 2016? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Its sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*tty sh*t game.

I'll admit I wasnt too sold on battlefront for most of its build up. But I still tried the beta, I try all the betas and I've been pleasently surprised sometimes, others I got what I expected.

This I got worse then expected.

Simply put the gameplay is a massive step back in terms of Dice this goes so far back, even further then the original 1942, this is codename eagle shooting mechanics.

The maps in the beta are awful little to no sense of shape to them and very bland.

Dont get me wrong, everything is pretty and looks authentic star wars but as a map dull dull dull.

But the biggest crime is just how awful the game mode walker attack is.

It's a bizarro poorly thought out version of Rush

lets see

firstly there is no sense of space because the walkers practically start on top of you so the defenders get no time to actually mount a defence before the empire are spawning on top of and behind you, if anything the best Rush maps have thought us that between mcoms you need that small gap to reset the line, that doesnt happen here so you end up far too often with rebels in the wrong area or pinned back.

secondly the design of just letting loose on the walker for a set period is flawed because it ends up being a mess of people just shooting with guns or tryng to find something bigger becoming a turkey shoot for smarter empire players who just aim for any player focusing on the AT-AT

the air side of the game suffers from the same issues battlefield has where airpower can end up with nothing to do but then becomes crucially important at other times, inconsistent.

Really what Walker Attack needed was a very firm division drawn between stages like with Rush

It should go

Walker approach defend stations for specific period

-Failure fall back

-Success all players for both sides spawn in ships for a period with empire in tie fighters and rebels in a mix of a-wings and some snow speeders with 2 players. Snow speeders can try and take down a walker in a single pass or all players can just focus on deducting as much hp as possible vis lasers/missiles

-air attack ends-

-defenders spawn on the new defend line, attackers on new attack lines for stage 2

Repeat the walker approach with the next set of stations

-attackers win move to line 3

-defenders win you can do air battle again or they could spice it up and have a different setup like an actual assault on a At-At like how Luke actually did in the film (a more interesting way to use the hero system perhaps?

Back to line 3 repeat

attackers win perhaps Vader hero final assault for a bonus victory points

defenders win line 3 game ends with an attacker victory but survival points for defenders

Really if the game is playing with fewer players then it needs to be more firmly designed. Its why Rush always had fewer players then Conquest in battlefield because its more firmly defined, its also why it often turns to a mess when its player count is upped to 64. Walker attack is trying to be more complicated then Rush and has fewer players but it is not being as firmly and clearly defined as Rush instead its a mess of power ups, heroes and mechanics that are counter productive.

the current system is a mess and simply not focused and not fun.

I'll be giving this one a wide pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

I'll be giving this one a wide pass.

Stop trying to play Battlefield and play Battlefront instead, if your looking for BF style gameplay you are playing the wrong game.

This is Battlefront 3 so the only comparison that should be made against it is from Battlefront 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

dreamers75 wrote: »
    This is Battlefront 3 so the only comparison that should be made against it is from Battlefront 2.

Actually this is Battlefront, not Battlefront 3. They rebooted it so they could give Battlefront their own spin rather than continuing what Pandemic Studios created.

I played a few hours yesterday and enjoyed it, it looks incredible but I felt some what bored after a few hours. Maybe that's because the content is limited and everyone uses the same guns but won't know for sure until the full game is released

• Advertisement

Stop trying to play Battlefield and play Battlefront instead, if your looking for BF style gameplay you are playing the wrong game.

OK

As someone who only briefly played battlefront and thought it was OK but doesn't have nostalgia goggles for the franchise

I didn't like this

It's messy annoying unclear and simply not fun.

From a developer who should know better since they've had over a decade of experience in the genre.

edit: Also this is the battlefield forum, dont want it compared to battlefield move the thread to the general gaming forum. Otherwise its fair game to say as a Dice game this is their worse offering in years

I think comparing the game to a game ten years prior is flawed. Do people compare Fifa 16 to Fifa 06? I think not.

Blitzkrieg makes valid points.... to be honest I didn't have a clue what was going on in Walker Assault... I just ran, shot, ran, shot, died, spawned, shot.

Made no sense to me!!

I think comparing the game to a game ten years prior is flawed. Do people compare Fifa 16 to Fifa 06? I think not.

Its using the same name of course its going to be and should be compared to its predecessors and rightly so, they are very purposely intending people to go "oh hey battlefront, I loved the other games so ill play this one as it should be similar"

People compare fifa 16 to fifa 15 cus it was the previous game in the series like people are comparing Batllefront(2015) to Battlefront 2 which was the previous game in the series

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its using the same name of course its going to be and should be compared to its predecessors and rightly so, they are very purposely intending people to go "oh hey battlefront, I loved the other games so ill play this one as it should be similar"

People compare fifa 16 to fifa 15 cus it was the previous game in the series like people are comparing Batllefront(2015) to Battlefront 2 which was the previous game in the series

So does it in your opinion improve on battlefront 2?

Also people compare fifa 16 to fifa 15 but there's only been a year's difference.

We have a different studio a 10 year shift in the genre as a whole.

So you'd compare not just to battlefront 2 but also that studios previous work. For example Amnesia 2 was compared both to amnesia but also to Dear Esther cause different studio produced it.

You'd expect either a very conscious push to go with an older style of play ala serious sam or an attempt to modernise the franchise with improvements the genre has received with the new studios past work as a framework.

Walker assault feels like an attempt at the latter, its a rush style game mode being introduced which is a staple of Dice design

and its in my opinion not working. It's badly thought out and messy with a lot of lessons they learnt from battlefield being forgotten purely on the issue of pacing and balance.

I found it fun enough in the sense of wow shiney new fps game but after a few hours im wondering where the depth will come from.
    Some very good and valid points from BlitzKrieg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Fieldog wrote: »
    Was working fine for me on PC yesterday, then I updated the GPU driver and it stopped working, had to roll back the driver and it was fine then after, yet the driver was specifically updated for Battlefront... :/
    It wouldn't load first time as the gpu driver was too far back and I got the error for that. so I had to update.

I know its a map thats hate or love but the Rush version of Operation Metro is a good example of how a Rush Map works in a simple form

There's a bit of a gap between the attackers and defenders before they hit the main park area that gives the defenders time not necessarily to reach the mcoms but to get in a defensive position to oversee them.

When that area is lost and the game falls back all defenders are given time to retreat or are respawned along the new defensive line. The attackers get a bit of eye candy as they move to the new line and the game continues

its actually the third point where metro in rush has problems because the gap is much smaller and the chokepoints too small, but the sense of progression is very clear because of those gaps where people reset.

because walker assault enforces the push back...EVEN WHEN THE DEFENDERS SUCCESSFULLY DEFEND, the need for this gap is paramount and the need to force the spawns back and reset the line.

Thats why I think it would be better if the attack the walker segments where more like a mini game then just letting everyone let rip with their blasters (which lets admit it looks silly anyway) as that lets Dice reset all the spawns between waves.

Personally I'm really enjoying the game. Yea there is feck all to do in the beta.
    I've already unlocked all weapons and just need another thousand credits or so for the sharpshooter card. But there is obviously gonna be a tonne more weapons and pickups on general release. Also plenty more maps.
    The beta was here as a tech test. Server stress test etc.. Personally I think it went very well and I'm quite happy with everything in it.

Map tweaks will come with time. Yea Walker Assault is a but unbalanced atm but I have seen defenders win. It's about knowing what to do.
    IMO - the rebel fighters are way more powerful than the Empire. That's one thing that really has to be used or defenders will never win. When the walkers are exposed, the fighters should be tearing them a new one. If they don't - forget it. Little pew pew blasters are not enough to take them down. Also people should be looking for pickups. Smart rockets etc. are your friend.
    Even besides that, most times I play Assault, people are standing back and sniping at enemies instead of going for the relay points or whatever they're called. I don't get that at all. Literally today I ran around the point on the left at start and there was at least 7-10 people standing back sniping. I walked up and there was no enemies at the point. Capped it and walked off. How long had they left it there uncapped??

Still - pretty sure I'll pre-order this after the beta. I'm very happy with what I've played so far. :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement