Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jeez.. I'm in the minority that finds this quite refreshing... although I do only hear the closing 20 minutes of the show in the car in the morning.

The alternatives on national radio are pretty damn terrible - but think Bernard O Shea and Jen are both witty (not so much Keith).

But most importantly.. from what I do hear in the morning.. I find their music choices can be nicely varied - not just the latest pop hits!

But don't get me wrong, I don't like Republic Of Telly in the slightest bar a witty sketch now and then. For example:

I don't think the show will last, but I prefer it over any other national breakfast radio at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Basq wrote: »
    Jeez.. I'm in the minority that finds this quite refreshing... although I do only hear the closing 20 minutes of the show in the car in the morning.

The alternatives on national radio are pretty damn terrible - but think Bernard O Shea and Jen are both witty (not so much Keith).

But most importantly.. from what I do hear in the morning.. I find their music choices can be nicely varied - not just the latest pop hits!

But don't get me wrong, I don't like Republic Of Telly in the slightest bar a witty sketch now and then. For example:

I don't think the show will last, but I prefer it over any other national breakfast radio at the minute.
    That's gas as I find Jen, Bernard and the music as entertaining as this horrendus acute ear infection I had once

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I gave it a shot very briefly yesterday morning at 7am as I was driving to Belfast. After messing up the sport and weather jingles and an awkward interaction with the weather lady, they played Mr Probz's Waves as the first track after the news. the thing is I'm not sure if they played it off a mix album as there was the distinctive drum track on another track laid over the intro. To top that off, it wasn't even mixed all that well so you had this incredibly annoying out of sync drum beat FROM ANOTHER TRACK overlaid onto the track they intended to play and IT WAS OUT OF SYNC so it just sounded like a stuck cd. It was VERY weird. They then followed that up with another HILARIOUS game of "Keith's Cock" which I see has been renamed to something like "the Cock a Doodle Doo Song". I was out after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

I gave it a shot very briefly yesterday morning at 7am as I was driving to Belfast. After messing up the sport and weather jingles and an awkward interaction with the weather lady, they played Mr Probz's Waves as the first track after the news. the thing is I'm not sure if they played it off a mix album as there was the distinctive drum track on another track laid over the intro. To top that off, it wasn't even mixed all that well so you had this incredibly annoying out of sync drum beat FROM ANOTHER TRACK overlaid onto the track they intended to play and IT WAS OUT OF SYNC so it just sounded like a stuck cd. It was VERY weird. They then followed that up with another HILARIOUS game of "Keith's Cock" which I see has been renamed to something like "the Cock a Doodle Doo Song". I was out after that.

I lasted till about 20 secs into waves..

rotun wrote: »
    I lasted till about 20 secs into waves..

Did you hear that double/repeated beat thing? I was wondering WTF is going on there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

Did you hear that double/repeated beat thing? I was wondering WTF is going on there?

Yeah, very distracting while driving.. Alan Swan thinking he's in Ibiza!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Listened in this morning and they had a genuinely (said in a Miriam O'Callaghan accent) very funny 'sketch' where they pretended they were 1980's radio types. If they did the whole show like that it would be the most listened to show on the radio. It was like listening to the fast show.

Please keep it up!:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Listened in this morning and they had a genuinely (said in a Miriam O'Callaghan accent) very funny 'sketch' where they pretended they were 1980's radio types. If they did the whole show like that it would be the most listened to show on the radio. It was like listening to the fast show.

Please keep it up!:D

What time was that do you know?

Have to say, I've heard some ads for their show that use sketches and parody sons they do in them and I always find them amusing.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    What time was that do you know?

Have to say, I've heard some ads for their show that use sketches and parody sons they do in them and I always find them amusing.

8:40 ish?? Larry Gogan was on directly after so was between 8:30 and 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

There's a competition on for tickets to see The Script at the minute.....if I don't win I'll be pissed cause nobody else is listening right??

Ah balls....there's 2 people listening this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I dunno I actually like the show,its very badly put together in parts but sometimes I'm in knots going down the road.the chat up jen competition was funny I thought and I do laugh when the girl put your record on bit comes on

There's a competition on for tickets to see The Script at the minute....if I don't win I'll be pissed cause nobody else is listening right??

To which? Breakfast Republic or The Script?

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

To which? Breakfast Republic or The Script?

:D:D

Aahhhhh now now ;)

I think there is definite signs of improvement on the show.

Sketches are getting better, Bernard is beginning to tailor his 'humour' to radio.

Jen is still a pain in the arse though I wonder if she is just pretending to be a pain in the arse or actually is a pain in the arse?

Still some embarrassing bits that need to be ironed out but it's getting better.

Still a bit to go though

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

They're off on their jollies again this week and Paddy McKenna was on this morning ... Nice change :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

They're off on their jollies again this week and Paddy McKenna was on this morning ... Nice change :-)

Jaysus they have more holidays than Teachers and TDs combined!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I reckon that's way too many holidays in such a short period for a new show that's trying to find their audience. I reckon Dan Healey knows he screwed up and is now testing the waters with other options.
    He's doing the same with the god awful drive by show.

I reckon Dan Healey knows he screwed up and is now testing the waters with other options.
    He's doing the same with the god awful drive by show.

One can only hope .... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The girl presenter with the american accent hasn't been on in the evenings in a while also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

The girl presenter with the american accent hasn't been on in the evenings in a while also...

Yeah they had some eejet from kids tv filling in for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

That's louise mcsharry,she was filling in for tubs recently,i like her show its one I would keep.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There's 3 on the show, yet all 3 have taken hols at the same time? Surely it could've been staggered so not all are off at the same time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

byte wrote: »
    There's 3 on the show, yet all 3 have taken hols at the same time? Surely it could've been staggered so not all are off at the same time?

This is RTE your talking about. No one gives a ****e!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some stations seem to prefer the "entire show goes on holidays at once" approach for multi-presenter shows, which has never made sense to me but its the way they work it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

ofcork wrote: »
    That's louise mcsharry,she was filling in for tubs recently,i like her show its one I would keep.

Just saw there she has a form of cancer get well soon.

I believe Jen is "expecting" - which is great news for her and i wish her every congratulations ...... But it also means she'll be on maternity leave for up to a year !!!!!!!!!

It's a good day :-)

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Anyone know why Tubridy was on before 9 this morning? Did something happen with the Breakfast Republic crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone know why Tubridy was on before 9 this morning? Did something happen with the Breakfast Republic crew?
    He mentioned something about how it's a new quiz / game for the school run or something that he's playing before 9am from now on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Maybe they are trying to kill the station off more quickly..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Basq wrote: »
    He mentioned something about how it's a new quiz / game for the school run or something that he's playing before 9am from now on..

Ah right, it was just about ten to nine when I heard it alright but didn't hear the intro. Cheers

Advertisement