Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm just waiting for them to give Lottie Ryan a full show.

You're laughing now, but you won't be when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnthonyCny

Heard Bernard talking today about drinking Oxo cubes instead of coffee.
    No idea if he was being serious or trying to be funny.

Instant channel changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

An interview with a dog this morning. A dog. Seriously. When is this going to get the chop?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

An interview with a dog this morning. A dog. Seriously. When is this going to get the chop?

Never by the sounds of it. It's an awful breakfast show, Jennifer is so over the top it's just cringe.

Anybody listening this morning? No Jennifer shouting crude rubbish, just the two lads and Larry Gogan believe it or not. What a difference! If it was just the two lads I would happily listen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Yep - was good radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Anybody listening this morning? No Jennifer shouting crude rubbish, just the two lads and Larry Gogan believe it or not. What a difference! If it was just the two lads I would happily listen!

I listen to it on the way to work in the morning as there's not much choice. Dempsey annoys me and I'm not really the target audience of AM Kelly on Midlands 103. So it's iRadio or 2fm. The show isn't that bad but Jennifer is terrible. Trying too hard to be funny and dropping double entendresat every opertunity. But it's getting a bit stale. How much longer can Man talk or Bernard cares go on. Same thing every day. And Bernard explaining the concept to Keith like it's the first time we've heard it. Drop Jen and a new gimmick every now and then with a bit less Bernard and it would be better I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Totally agree.

If it was the two lads with the odd guest every now and then it would be so much more listenable. Jennifer is not funny, not witty, too loud, too crude and has fallen into the trap of actually believing that she is talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Bernards segment at 7:50 needs a complete overhaul (stop, right now has to stop), Jennifer needs to drop the double entendres every 2 minutes and either Keith has lost whatever I enjoyed about him when he was on spin or I've got older.
    But kids seem to love them so I'm sure they get a good portion of the school run.

It could be worse though, they could put Lottie in that slot.

But what alternatives are there, in Wicklow/wexford anyway there's Ian Dempsey and I'd say his dreading the day Rosenstock rings in sick, East coast and Beat, none of those are shining examples of early morning light entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

I switched over to this show between 9 and 10 after Anton Savage left Today FM. I don't know what it's like before 9am but I'm finding it OK for the hour that I hear. They play a good few songs, not too much inane chat. I really don't like Bernard but he doesn't seem to appear much in that hour so I'll probably stick with it for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

I do hear bits and pieces in the mornings and I have to say Jennifer is an absolute disgrace. Every sentence she utters has to be a sex joke, like shes a child only after learning this stuff.

This morning a young child rang in for a rugby competition. I thought to myself, this will show her that kids listen so maybe she should cool it with the sex jokes, but lo and behold she made a sex joke while talking to him.

It was something about being good in a scrum if Johnny Sexton was in it. Its like she thinks that's what she is there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I'm just waiting for them to give Lottie Ryan a full show.

You're laughing now, but you won't be when it happens.

They have! She has been doing early weekend breakfast for well over a year now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

is ray foley going to 2fm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

jezzer wrote: »

What makes you say that ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

What makes you say that ?

he was spotted at montrose

I think they are looking for toilet cleaners there..

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

Beginning to think no ones going to hire him again/he doesnt want to work for anyone.

I do hear bits and pieces in the mornings and I have to say Jennifer is an absolute disgrace. Every sentence she utters has to be a sex joke, like shes a child only after learning this stuff.

This morning a young child rang in for a rugby competition. I thought to myself, this will show her that kids listen so maybe she should cool it with the sex jokes, but lo and behold she made a sex joke while talking to him.

It was something about being good in a scrum if Johnny Sexton was in it. Its like she thinks that's what she is there for.

She has no filter and is the main reason I avoid the show. She simply isn't funny

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

He was spotted there a long time ago. He's not coming back to national radio I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Also, his wife works for RTE so he could have just been there to pick her up or whatever.

Breakfast Republic would be a million times more listenable if Jen left. I'm a "mad feminist" so obviously I like having more women in high-profile slots on radio, but my principles disappear when it comes to her!

• Advertisement

A new low this morning. Jennifer: "Des Cahill was afraid he would be seen as a dirty old man on dancing with the stars. He was seen going out the back wearing a long mac behind a bin dipping his fingers into a tin of tuna and sniffing them."

How in God's name is this person, I won't even say woman, still on the radio? She is simply a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Pity that she is still making those type of comments because the rest of the show is enjoyable.

Would be great if they didn't renew her contract but with Bernard and her co writing Bridget and Eamonn, things could get tricky there.

The producer should wield more power in situations like this.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Pity that she is still making those type of comments because the rest of the show is enjoyable.

Would be great if they didn't renew her contract but with Bernard and her co writing Bridget and Eamonn, things could get tricky there.

The producer should wield more power in situations like this.

If it was just Bernard and the other guy it would actually be very good. If they get the axe I would say they will be cursing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If it was just Bernard and the other guy it would actually be very good. If they get the axe I would say they will be cursing her.

They used to present a show somewhere in the Midlands IIRC after Keith left Spin (back when he was paired with Joe Donnelly) and before Bernard ever got a TV gig. It wasn't atrocious. They're not sidesplittingly funny together, but they're not atrocious either - it's all relative.

Jen is the weak link but so weak I can't listen. I'd say I've listened thrice in the last 3 years (I actually can't believe it's lasted 3 years) and each time I last mere minutes before I just lose patience with it and move the dial.

They used to present a show somewhere in the Midlands IIRC after Keith left Spin (back when he was paired with Joe Donnelly) and before Bernard ever got a TV gig. It wasn't atrocious. They're not sidesplittingly funny together, but they're not atrocious either - it's all relative.

Jen is the weak link but so weak I can't listen. I'd say I've listened thrice in the last 3 years (I actually can't believe it's lasted 3 years) and each time I last mere minutes before I just lose patience with it and move the dial.

I have to listen as I commute with a colleague who only listens to 2fm. I could be converted if she left but not a hope until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Hmm, I haven't listened to the show in ages although it was Bernard I couldn't stand. By the sound of it, new depths have been reached in recent times.

However, I'm not sure Jen is on some kind of solo run here. I can't imagine they don't sit down from time to time and plan how they'll interact with each other. Maybe there's some target demographic who thinks smutty schoolyard innuendo is hilarious...

Maybe it is planned. All part of her 'brand' as a 'wacky, edgy, controversial' celebrity (I'm using that term loosely here).

But it simply isn't funny. Get rid of her and the show would improve massively. Surely this kind of stuff is a bit much for parents with kids in the car?? She has no filter. Or maybe her persona is what people aspire to be??

The lads are great when she is off

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Why does yer one have to shout?? I've only opened me eyes and she's squawking in my ears! She is empty. Cshw has absolutely zilch worth saying. Can 2fm not hear her? Surely you have to do some sort of voice test before they let you be a radio pressenter? If not it should be law :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Went in and out of the show this morning on my drive up to Dublin. It was awful amateurish stuff with Keith not there (and that's saying something).

Basics like fading in and out of a song to speak and getting the running order all over the place. Jen at one point said "let's go to an ad break", but then someone in studio mentioned she hasn't talked about the competition. When that was complete, they went for news. No such ads were played until after the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Was stuck somewhere this morning and had to endure about 40 mins of this show. Wow, without Keith it's even more pitiful. Just shows how important it is to have a proper radiohead on a team, it's an omni-shambles without him.

Advertisement