Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Listening this week a bit more as I'm just tired of the political talk on rte1 and newstalk at the moment.

I'm a bit suprised at the content of the show, considering all the texts read out from families with young children on the school run that it's so heavy with not so subtle double entendres (clearly being written during the news/sport).

Not a big deal I know, just not sure if I was driving a 6 year old to school or whatever If I could deal with references to 'holes being filled' and 'comming out' at that time of the morning. Al Porter level stuff!
    I agree with that previous point about Dempsey on today fm and all the promos but sometimes if un not in the mood to have to think too much on the drive to work it's easy listening!
    Aidan Power is on iradio now in the morning's too and its probably the show that gets left on the most in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭badgersbelief

i'm actually enjoying breakfast republic a lot more now, the humour is more natural and less forced unlike a lot of other breakfast shows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I'm carpooling these days and being subjected to this absolute rubbish. I listen to Ian Dempsey (hector this week) and this is absolute garbage compared to him. I've as good as switched off 2fm and listening to this shoite is compounding that decision. Jennifer is a disgrace to broadcasting, rude jokes and basically shouting into the Mike does not a good show make.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

I'm carpooling these days and being subjected to this absolute rubbish. I listen to Ian Dempsey (hector this week) and this is absolute garbage compared to him. I've as good as switched off 2fm and listening to this shoite is compounding that decision. Jennifer is a disgrace to broadcasting, rude jokes and basically shouting into the Mike does not a good show make.

It's enough to make someone take the bus, but doesn't say much for your carpolling driver that puts this on!! Maguire has absolutely no talent and you are 100% spot on.. I have no idea how their TV programme managed to get an IFTA award either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

It gets worse, as I see lately that the horse manure that they call a TV show with O Shea ( another unfunny person),is going to be now on the UK Gold channel ................... God help us!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

hector, the definition of a buffoon good lord, whats happening to broadcasting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 carlowmanken

Painfull listening! But not as bad as "Kildare today" on KFM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Caledonman wrote: »
    It's enough to make someone take the bus, but doesn't say much for your carpolling driver that puts this on!! Maguire has absolutely no talent and you are 100% spot on.. I have no idea how their TV programme managed to get an IFTA award either!

I feel sorry for the Keith chap who seems to be stuck trying to control 2 complete spanners while at the same time trying to decide if he should go down to their level! Don't do it man!

Total S£$TE..END OF..........

in the interest of fairness, i had to listen to hector fill in for ian dempsey this week and he is way worse than these guys, i know thats not really much of a benchmark saying your better than hector but still...

• Advertisement

jezzer wrote: »
    in the interest of fairness, i had to listen to hector fill in for ian dempsey this week and he is way worse than these guys, i know thats not really much of a benchmark saying your better than hector but still...

I thought he held his own to be fair. He was a damn sight better than 2fm's offering!

I thought he held his own to be fair. He was a damn sight better than 2fm's offering!

ah i dont know, giftgrubs assessment of him this morning was pretty apt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

jezzer wrote: »
    ah i dont know, giftgrubs assessment of him this morning was pretty apt!!

Hector gets a fierce harsh touch on here. Is it a city vs country thing or what? I think he's grand and a million times better than those wagons on Breakfast Republic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

To give Hector credit, I found him very listenable this week. I don't think I could put up with his schitck every morning, but overall he was good this week. Grand background listening between 7:00 and 8:00 while I get ready and head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

I agree. I detested Hector's old breakfast show, where he seemed to have everything turned up to 11 all the time. And his ultra-bogman schtick annoys me. But I find him ok at the moment - in smallish doses. Has he calmed down a bit or have I mellowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

PieOhMy wrote:
    I'm a bit suprised at the content of the show, considering all the texts read out from families with young children on the school run that it's so heavy with not so subtle double entendres (clearly being written during the news/sport).

I listen to the show now having moved away from Newstalk and am surprised at this also, if you listen though it's all Jen. Every second comment is laced with innuendo, I feel like I'm in school. I like the lads though, they work well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I listen to the show now having moved away from Newstalk and am surprised at this also, if you listen though it's all Jen. Every second comment is laced with innuendo, I feel like I'm in school. I like the lads though, they work well together.

Would agree with you there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

It's at a stage now that it's totally over the top innuendo. This morning she found it very funny to mention the surname of the Chelsea manager, Antonio Conte, as some sort of double entendre and in my opinion pronouncing his surname while dropping the last 'e' is quite out of bounds while I have my kids listening in the car.

Of course she gets away with it as presumably nobody in RTE actually listens to the show.

Do you think the 2 lads are just cringing while she talks? (Ok maybe only Keith is)

Another morning and I'm being subjected to this rubbish. I really do think if Jennifer was removed, the quality of the show would improve tenfold. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when my carpooling buddy switched to spin. It's a sad state of affairs when inanne banter and shoutouts to kids on their way to secondary school is preferable to the breakfast show on our national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I think the problem is that she is trying to compete with the lads in the comedy stakes.

Hard to do if you're not quick witted but easy to try to do if you can use a double entendre as big as a banana in someone's pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

It's at a stage now that it's totally over the top innuendo. This morning she found it very funny to mention the surname of the Chelsea manager, Antonio Conte, as some sort of double entendre and in my opinion pronouncing his surname while dropping the last 'e' is quite out of bounds while I have my kids listening in the car.

Of course she gets away with it as presumably nobody in RTE actually listens to the show.

Do you think the 2 lads are just cringing while she talks? (Ok maybe only Keith is)

I do actually think they are cringing when she starts, Keith definitely is and I am. That whole bit about Conte was awful. She was off yesterday and the show was much better. I really do agree that if they took her out of the equation the show would improve big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Let's face it, Jennifer maguire is gonna be with rte till she's Marian finucanes age because that's the way it is.
    She's got a horrible persona in everything she does and I can't see how she has a career in the public eye, but she's in rte now so let's just accept she'll be there forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Agreed sadly, unless they take her in america, I recall her bragging about auditions she was doing over there.
    In fairness she's defiantly clever, she has businesses and managed to brass neck her way into the rte set. It's nearly like she's trying to get sacked or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dxman105

I'm not a regular 2FM listener, I don't know who was doing the breakfast show before this republic show but my god! This show is awful, too much unfunny banter not enough music. The music perhaps has improved lately - more current hits. Not a fan of the much trumpeted jingle package either. No sung jingles just annoying voices

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

Dan Healy is in massive trouble. What do you do when your shows are all dropping massive chunks of audience. This show has bombed, even with a 4 hour reach.
    The reason is pretty simple. It's utter junk uncomfortable and cringe.

McQuire is painful and Bernard is just awkward and unfunny, Keith sound's like he wants to jump out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

This show should be put out of its misery sooner rather than later. It hasn't worked since Day One and kills the rest of the day on 2FM stone dead. Hitman Healy needs to wave the cheque book at someone like Dermot & Dave, established pros with (seemingly) decent taste in music despite the Today FM playlist being dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

They already tried that with the strawberry boys and it didn't turn out to well

• Registered Users Posts: 27 loumasry

If Dan Healy is looking at Dermot and Dave he should take a look at their numbers while he's at it. Louise Duffy had 123,000 listeners when she moved from lunchtimes in 2014. Dermot and Dave have never improved on that figure and have been consistently losing audience since mid-2015. They now have 113,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Would Dermot and dave save 2FM though ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

reg114 wrote: »
    Would Dermot and dave save 2FM though ?

Doubt it.

Colm and JimJim were supposed to save 2FM and look how that little venture went!

Advertisement