Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I read a good piece in the Sunday Times about 2FM's attempt to bring LOL's to the airwaves.

A bit of it here:
    At a time when pop music is abuzz with techno slickness, RTE’s pop music station 2fm has taken the remarkable gamble of going acoustic. From the relentless slapping of thighs to the serial busting of guts, from the yakety yak of the star DJs to the tee-hee-hees of their giddy sidekicks, the signature sound of the recently revamped channel is the improvised hootenanny of forced laughter and contrived jollity. Forget shake, rattle and roll; welcome to the home of flakes, prattle and LOL.

“Fake it til you make it,” is a core principle of rehab therapy, the idea being that patients should affect an outward approximation of sobriety until they’re ready to embrace the real deal...
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1415926.ece

Unfortunately we've to subscribe to read the rest, but it was fairly scathing of Breakfast Republic and the show with yer man from Westlife and his sidekick.

What all this screams of, and what they literally scream for every morning is attention and response. Every five minutes it's 'text in if you think it'll rain today', or 'text us in quick if you think we should hit Bernard in the head with a pan'.

LOVE US, LOVE US, LOVE US, WE'RE MAD.

I remember us being very conscious of coming across as being very needy when we were doing college radio - as 18 and 19 year olds.

It would seem that what 2FM need to do is just calm the fcuk down. Decide what their target audience is and play relevant music to them. Operating a DJ speech policy of 'Don't say anything unless it's worthwhile' might be an idea.

For now, I'll stick to listening to podcasts on the way into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 chef without a plane

'text us in quick if you think we should hit Bernard in the head with a pan'.

Is this a thing? If not, lets make this a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

http://www.goss.ie/2014/06/bernard-oshea-doesnt-care-people-keep-saying-his-2fm-show-is-****e/

your all internet trolls who dont know much according to Bernard!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Much like Bernard, incompetent radio hosts claiming internet users are trolling keyboard warriors is water off a ducks back...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Tuned in for 5 mins this morn for some cringe.Im ashamed to hold the same passport as these 3 goons. Jen and bernard are the most annoying by far.

They really must live on another planet if they think its anyway funny..Bernard makes me want to curl up in bed and not get out of it for the day out of embarrassment. Rte gravy train is worth it for them i suppose. hurting our ears daily with the worst verbal diahorrea possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

lufties wrote: »
    Tuned in for 5 mins this morn for some cringe.Im ashamed to hold the same passport as these 3 goons. Jen and bernard are the most annoying by far.

They really must live on another planet if they think its anyway funny..Bernard makes me want to curl up in bed and not get out of it for the day out of embarrassment. Rte gravy train is worth it for them i suppose. hurting our ears daily with the worst verbal diahorrea possible.

I unfortunately for me have it another shot this morning. Bernard and a caller had a "hi" competition which consisted of them trying to out pitch each other in saying "hi". When Bernard lost, he insisted on "best out of 3". This is national radio FFS! You wouldn't get a bunch of 10 year olds doing that if you have then control of the station. Such amateurs. They're so bad atvthis stage I expect them to be in the Mrs Browinz Boyiz movie....

I unfortunately for me have it another shot this morning. Bernard and a caller had a "hi" competition which consisted of them trying to out pitch each other in saying "hi". When Bernard lost, he insisted on "best out of 3". This is national radio FFS! You wouldn't get a bunch of 10 year olds doing that if you have then control of the station. Such amateurs. They're so bad atvthis stage I expect them to be in the Mrs Browinz Boyiz movie....

I wonder what thr agenda is with this programme, dumb down the nation maybe? Are we not stupid enough already.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dangerousdee

It really is a terrible, terrible show. I listened when it started and just thought "no, I can't keep listening to this". Keith seems to know his stuff technically, but the other two are just dead weight in my opinion.

The guy standing in for Ray D'arcy at the moment might be a good choice to pair off with Keith sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I think the general consensus here is that Keith can do the job, ideally with 1 other person and ditch Bernard and Jenny.

Now I must pen a letter to the DG!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Decided to give this a lash this morning seeing as I was in a bad humour anyway and it couldnt be any worse. I was wrong.

It was Jen's Hen Party. If they said it once they said it a million times. Keith actually even said "It's Jen's Hen and we are here all morning, sorry", HE ACTUALLY REALISES THE PAIN THAT IS BEING INFLICTED ON THE LISTENERSHIP!!

Then they waffled on about salmon and sh*** in equal order and thanked Aldi, or maybe it was Lidl for providing it - I always get them confused - for the grub and Jen said the sun was "the best newspaper ever" and sounded like she meant it. The low have just gone underground.

It was apparently Jen's playlist but when Keith was introducing the tunes she hadnt a clue what was being put on. In fairness the music was better than having to listen to the 3 of them clowns. I reckon the powers that be have decided they need to scrap 2fm altogether and this is their Eurovision style plan of being so bad no one will care if it gets pulled and they dont have to pay for it.

• Advertisement

Decided to give this a lash this morning seeing as I was in a bad humour anyway and it couldnt be any worse. I was wrong.

It was Jen's Hen Party. If they said it once they said it a million times. Keith actually even said "It's Jen's Hen and we are here all morning, sorry", HE ACTUALLY REALISES THE PAIN THAT IS BEING INFLICTED ON THE LISTENERSHIP!!

Then they waffled on about salmon and sh*** in equal order and thanked Aldi, or maybe it was Lidl for providing it - I always get them confused - for the grub and Jen said the sun was "the best newspaper ever" and sounded like she meant it. The low have just gone underground.

It was apparently Jen's playlist but when Keith was introducing the tunes she hadnt a clue what was being put on. In fairness the music was better than having to listen to the 3 of them clowns. I reckon the powers that be have decided they need to scrap 2fm altogether and this is their Eurovision style plan of being so bad no one will care if it gets pulled and they dont have to pay for it.

Lowest common denominator radio. Mickey noonan probably went to a bilderberg meeting and was told, 'psst baldy, your peasants aren't apathetic and dumb enough, that flouride isn't doing its job either'. Noonan replies 'aaahh fear not my lord(s), we can achieve our goals via radio broadcasting muahahahahaha'. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Lucky Dodo

Can't stand it. Utter tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

More holidays this week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

I listened this morning cause those twits weren't on !!! In case anyone missed it on Friday Jen is on her hens (Yawn !!!!) and Keith was cliff diving apparently !!! They couldn't possibly let Bernard loose in a studio by himself !! I believe normal services will resume tomorrow :-(

Are the JNLR's out next week ?? I'll be interested to see how they are doing cause I've yet to hear a good review of the show other than the tripe Dan Healy roles out periodically .....

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Did they do a live broadcast from her wedding? Hope she booked the singing priest. No doubt Bernard gave a speech at the reception. the hilarity!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wonder what happened? Was it just rose tinted spectacles on my part or was Breakfast with Bernard and Keith actually good back in the i105-107 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

flazio wrote: »
    Wonder what happened? Was it just rose tinted spectacles on my part or was Breakfast with Bernard and Keith actually good back in the i105-107 days?
    yoko ono :)

Show was much better this morning without Jennifer (who is off for a month I think I read). So will be interesting to see if it stays better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

The show is terrible. Full stop.

I listen to Today FM now, like a former 2FM presenter http://www.goss.ie/2014/06/axed-2fm-host-hector-o-heochagain-says-i-listen-to-today-fm-in-the-mornings-now/

Says it all really...

The show is terrible. Full stop.

I listen to Today FM now, like a former 2FM presenter http://www.goss.ie/2014/06/axed-2fm-host-hector-o-heochagain-says-i-listen-to-today-fm-in-the-mornings-now/

Says it all really...

Ah come on.

Hector....bitter much??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Ah come on.

Hector....bitter much??

In fairness, would you subject your kids to Jennifer, Bernard & Keith's toilet humour, infantile features and shiiiiiiiiittttte music? Good man Hector!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

In fairness, would you subject your kids to Jennifer, Bernard & Keith's toilet humour, infantile features and shiiiiiiiiittttte music? Good man Hector!!

I have never heard anything as bad,as 2FMs breakfast show...Great broadcasters are not made,they are born.Just because you were/are a comedian,were in a boy band,doesnt mean you will be a great broadcaster.Listen to radio stations,all the good ones came throught the pirates..not from a boyband, that got to old to be a boyband,so because of the high profile,got a gig in broadcasting..Thats my thinking on it anyway

Genuine Question

Which one was in the boyband?

I'm guessing Keith but want to be 100% sure!

Genuine Question

Which one was in the boyband?

I'm guessing Keith but want to be 100% sure!
    are you talking about Nicky Byrne?

are you talking about Nicky Byrne?

Ah! That would make more sense.

Picked up the previous post wrong obviously.

Figured it wasn't Bernard or Jennifer anyway!

Case Closed

DT100 wrote: »
    I have never heard anything as bad,as 2FMs breakfast show...Great broadcasters are not made,they are born.Just because you were/are a comedian,were in a boy band,doesnt mean you will be a great broadcaster.Listen to radio stations,all the good ones came throught the pirates..not from a boyband, that got to old to be a boyband,so because of the high profile,got a gig in broadcasting..Thats my thinking on it anyway

Jennifer maguire is the biggest farce there is, she was a budding business woman on the apprentice ffs, her crass lowest common denominator humour and catty attitude probably got her the gig on rte. Some lads say 'shur jaysus she's a fine burd', as a straight man, I honestly don't see it. Perhaps if she came across as someone with a bit of depth and a bit more feminine, she might have some appeal.

Bernard is getting off easy here...chap just says stuff for the 80's all morning....or makes generalisations that make no sense to people who aren't sheep
    "hey you know women and hand bags....eh???"

Bernard is getting off easy here...chap just says stuff for the 80's all morning....or makes generalisations that make no sense to people who aren't sheep
    "hey you know women and hand bags....eh???"

Bernard is playing the idiot culchie card, I never found him funny, having seen a lot of republic of telly, not one sketch did i even smile at. He's at the tit of rte now so he's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Eoghan McDermott is hosting the show for two weeks while the three lads aren't there being as they are on holidays?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Chris Greene mentioned it there on his show that Eoghan would be in while they're on their holidays. Hopefully they take a permanent holiday.

Advertisement